PDA

View Full Version : Hiker BEWARE of scammer at 19E (TN)

Goldielocs
04-18-2019, 20:11
I just did a section hike between Iron Mtn Gap and 19E. There is a guy waiting for folks at 19e who pretends to be the folks from Mtn Harbour Inn. Hikers come off the trail asking if he is the guy with the "famous breakfast for $12" and he says yes, but instead of taking them to Mtn Harbour, he takes them to his hostel Station 19e where he doesn't have a license to cook homemade food, so he serves cold cereal, bagels and bananas for $10. He also illegally cut a blue blaze off the AT and named it Brew Blaze that leads to his place. NOT COOL. This guy moved to the area 3 years ago after leaving a career as a used car dealer in New Mexico to scam hikers here in TN. He is poaching from a family run business that has given their blood sweat and tears to AT hikers for over 16 years. Please don't reward this sort of behavior by giving them your money!

FrogLevel
04-18-2019, 20:25
That does sound pretty shady. In such a small town what is this guy thinking?

MuddyWaters
04-18-2019, 20:40
If your dumb enough to jump in back of a strangers truck, you might deserve what you get.

Mtn harbor is literally 200' from trail. No one should be confused or expect a ride to there, or a concierge to meet them at trailhead. How do some people get that far....

chknfngrs
04-19-2019, 06:35
This place?

https://doeriverhikerrest.com/

chknfngrs
04-19-2019, 06:42
Or I mean this place https://thestationat19e.com/

This place?

https://doeriverhikerrest.com/

chknfngrs
04-19-2019, 06:44
Not sure but caveat emptor seems likely here.

Kittyslayer
04-19-2019, 07:23
If your dumb enough to jump in back of a strangers truck, you might deserve what you get...

So you’re a fool if you (unwittingly) accept this guy’s (shady) kindness yet hikers are regularly encouraged to hitchhike into town?

Serious question from someone who has never hitchhiked.

Time Zone
04-19-2019, 07:27
seems like it would be wise to know the name of the hostel you're looking for, rather than a subjective/vague descriptor like "famous breakfast for $12". I don't condone any sketchy re-blazing (if that's true) but a story from thetrek.co (in google cache, no longer up) left me with the impression that he's just outworking people. A harder sell than would make me comfortable but some people respond to it, and if he's not actually saying he's from Mtn Harbour Inn, well, ....

chknfngrs, I agree, caveat emptor, and you may have noticed, those two sites appear related. Similar web design, both godaddy sites, with links to each other's websites.

chknfngrs
04-19-2019, 07:41
If he really cut a trail from his business to the AT then more power to him. That’s a good bit of distance to randomly chop on a crazy ash mission. And the guy has beer but no license to cook?!?

MuddyWaters
04-19-2019, 07:50
So you’re a fool if you (unwittingly) accept this guy’s (shady) kindness yet hikers are regularly encouraged to hitchhike into town?

Serious question from someone who has never hitchhiked.
First, you should know where you are, and where want to go to.Mountain harbour is 200' from trail, they arent sending a driver to pick people up. Every guide tells you exactly where they are. Reach road, look left. Bingo.

So it would seem our protagonist had no clue, asked a vague question to a stranger at a trailhead got a "yeah" answer, and got in a vehicle.

I have doubts the hostel owner misrepresented himself based on what was posted. Scamming....doesnt seem like it. Sounds more like someone wants to blame others for their mistake.

Doesnt seem like a good business plan to locate where an existing popular hostel is basically on trail. Unless promoting a different looser atmosphere.

Furlough
04-19-2019, 08:19
So you’re a fool if you (unwittingly) accept this guy’s (shady) kindness yet hikers are regularly encouraged to hitchhike into town? Serious question from someone who has never hitchhiked.
I agree, not being comfortable with, or trying hitch hiking for the first time can be nerve wracking. One thing that may help is to ensure you have a good updated guide book. These provide very good place descriptions, phone numbers etc for hostels, hotels, shuttle services, food locations. Use these as a means of making your selections and becoming as well informed as possible. And, steel yourself to the fact that there may be locations where no shuttles are available and hitchhiking may be the only option.

soumodeler
04-19-2019, 08:55
I have used both Mountain Harbour and Station at 19E/Doe River for shuttles, but never stayed with either or been there during peak season. I have heard lots of stories about the "creative" marketing techniques of Doe River, such as sitting at the trail crossing telling hikers MH had closed down, and other lies to get hikers to go with him to his hostel/bar. When I shuttled with him, I got a different story about occupation and where he was from. Not saying it is a lie, but the story seems to change. He is certainly a smooth talker and comes across as a friendly, likable guy.

Mountain Harbour was overall just as friendly and accommodating, but in a much more genuine and caring manner. Shannon, the manager, was very nice and worked with me on a shuttle when a new piece of gear failed on me and I needed to make a sudden change in my plan. No issues, immediately refunded the difference in shuttle prices, and waived the parking fee which I would have gladly paid regardless.

The sketchy blue blaze definitely exists, you can tell it is not a real trail and is poorly done.

After being inside both, I certainly see why many thru hikers prefer Doe River over Mountain Harbour, with the bar being right below the hostel. The owner does everything "right" for the typical thru hiker. One one hand, competition is good for the hikers, and creating a better "product" is the natural course of business. On the other, the tactics used to advertise and outright lie show the true character of the owner.

As a final thought, from personal experience, many thru hikers are not well informed about each trail crossing and the businesses there. Most information is shared from the few that actually read the guidebooks or know from experience the area. I find it perfectly understandable that some thru hikers are coming to the road and have only heard about the breakfast, but not the other details of where it actually is. Not saying anything other than that is what I have seen from personal experience on the trail in the bubble.

TNhiker
04-19-2019, 09:25
Mtn harbor is literally 200' from trail

its a touch more than 200 feet from the trail........

but, it is extremely close and no shuttle is really needed....

peakbagger
04-19-2019, 09:31
Battles between trail service providers have sprung up in the past and expect they will spring up in the future. Ultimately its a he said/she said situation. In theory the various guidebook editors vet the service providers they list but I question how much time they can spend checking out each provider. The Uncle Johnny's Miss Janet battle went on for years.

trailmercury
04-19-2019, 09:50
Who won?.....

MuddyWaters
04-19-2019, 09:58

Yeah, probably more like 250 yds imo, and you need to walk out the curve partway to see it. Even farther to their drive which is on the far end. They used to claim some ridiculously short distance at one time. Possibly to the edge of their property or something.

The point is, no shuttles needed and you shouldn't expect one. But you should have some idea of where you want to go is located. I know that some people don't. And honestly that's their own fault.

and occasionally in years past there has been creepy people hanging out at trailheads offering rides. You should probably be more suspicious of that than of accepting rides while hitching.

I know theyve added lots of stuff in recent years, food trailer, store, etc. $12 for breakfast....wow...i think i paid $5 back when. It was a nice spread, but not enough seating room, i ate standing up. And honestly, i wouldnt say i was able to eat my fill of what I wanted...which was bacon, eggs, etc. Tons of other stuff though

Lone Wolf
04-19-2019, 10:10

0.3 mile...........

tunnelbear
04-19-2019, 10:20
Having just walked this last October, I did a quick look-up on Google Maps which shows a walk of about 1800 ft on 19E from where the AT crosses 19E and to the entrance of the driveway to Mountain Harbour. As others have noted, you can see the buildings earlier.

Enjoyed staying at Mountain Harbour and a big shout out to Shannon and staff for a great breakfast... can understand why the person posting was disappointed that they missed it.

Goldielocs
04-19-2019, 16:47
no.. the shady hostel is called station 19 and the good hostel is Mountain Harbour inn

Goldielocs
04-19-2019, 16:50
sorry chngngrs..but it is not got to blaze a trail in a national forest. it is illegal and comes with up to a $5000 fine per tree

D2maine
04-19-2019, 17:31
sorry chngngrs..but it is not got to blaze a trail in a national forest. it is illegal and comes with up to a $5000 fine per tree

then report it to the atc they can deal with it

JPritch
04-19-2019, 20:43
Good info. I was torn on which hostel I would utilize on my section through there in May. I now have my answer.

WTX2WY
04-19-2019, 22:58
I have been to neither of the hostels at Roan Mountain but do recall a thread from a few months ago started by the Station 19e owner/marketing person.

That particular thread was about buying a beer for a hiker. They had started several threads recently promoting their business and I called them out (jokingly) for spamming. I realize they were just making a solid effort at promoting their new business across various outlets online. They sent me a pm with a little more detail about what they were trying to bring to the trail community.

I am nosy so I looked up their website and social media presence and they had a small but growing reputation that seemed to be very positive.

I can't give any first hand experience with their services on the trail, but calling them a scammer may be a little harsh. It also sounds like something a competing business might do in this day and age where attacking competitors online is a standard business practice. (I am not saying that is what the OP is doing, but it sounds similar to the fake reviews you see online claiming a hotel has bedbugs or a restaurant serves on dirty dishes, this hostel owner is a used car salesman from New Mexico who moved here to scam hikers, lol)

Perhaps the shuttle driver miscommunicated or perhaps they were shadily trying to poach business. If it is in fact a shuttle driver lying to hikers to steal business hopefully the owner is made aware of it and addresses it. That is not cool for any business, much less a hostel in a close knit community like the AT.

Here is a link to all of the posts from the Station 19e here at White Blaze: https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?searchid=14082891

And here is a link to their website and Facebook:

https://thestationat19e.com

https://m.facebook.com/thestationat19e/?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fthestationat19e.com%2F&_rdr

And here is an article from a local paper linked on White Blaze by our very own scraper bot:
https://www.averyjournal.com/avery/the-trail-provides-the-station-at-e/article_b409caf0-78ad-5e6d-aab7-9b7593c1ede2.html

As I said, I haven't been to Station 19e so I can't personally vouch for them, but they do appear to have a growing positive reputation among those have.

Hopefully both businesses can be successful and a positive experience for the trail community.

George
04-20-2019, 08:11
Until the competition, hikers were an afterthought at mountain harbor, sleeping above horses in a barn, now they are pursued/ treated like customers - competition has been good for the hikers - the OP is definitely a schill for mountain harbor

gpburdelljr
04-20-2019, 09:03
- the OP is definitely a schill for mountain harbor

Do you have any evidence she is in some way connected with Mountain Harbor? Maybe she is just another hiker expressing an opinion.

bighammer
04-20-2019, 12:20
.... the OP is definitely a schill for mountain harbor

Only definitions of "schill" I could find were from Urban Dictionary. :banana:eek: :banana

Astro
04-20-2019, 13:28

That is the first thing I thought when I saw that. I walked it both ways and .2 miles might be more accurate.

John B
04-20-2019, 13:57
Until the competition, hikers were an afterthought at mountain harbor, sleeping above horses in a barn, now they are pursued/ treated like customers - competition has been good for the hikers - the OP is definitely a schill for mountain harbor

Odd because after reading your post, my first thought is you are definitely a shill for the other hostel. Probably in league with the dude in the truck. Getting kickbacks or reduced rates or maybe even some free ramen.

Puddlefish
04-20-2019, 14:46
I feel like I've read this kind of dueling hostel drama at 19E before. When I was hiking through, I stayed at a traditional Bed and Breakfast for two nights, because I needed a break from hostels, hikers, snoring and drama. What I learned about the town from the hostess/owner is that the town had gone through tough economic times and has only in recent years started having their own businesses, and local services, and that was a great thing.

Multiple businesses competing actually helps everyone. A rising tide lifting all boats and all that. People are more likely to stop off the trail when they know there are options. A quiet place, a drunky place, a choice of restaurants, a barber shop (the local barber guy is super friendly by the way.) Competition keeps prices reasonable.

Dueling squabbling hostel owners make me want to stay at neither. A single bad review, like the OPs doesn't very much convince me one way or another. All I got was that a single customer was cranky because they didn't get the breakfast they wanted. The rest ranges into the realm of personal attacks. A car dealer? Why is that pertinent? They wrote on a blue blaze? Are we sure it was the owner and not a fan? Some hikers tag anything. From Arizona? Fetch me my fainting couch! The use of the term poaching and the emotional appeal to a long time local family business being harmed. These things make me wonder how the "hiker" knows so very much about the owners of each hostel and yet, was so easily duped, by a driver when the hostel was yards away.

All my opinion, based on what I read into it. Stay where you want.

Traffic Jam
04-20-2019, 16:04
I would have a problem with someone telling me they are the place I’m looking for if they aren’t...the “famous $12 breakfast”?...knowing that Mountain Harbour is known for breakfast? That smacks of outright lying.

yet, my experience at MH wasn’t very positive. I arranged and planned on a shuttle at a particular time yet was rushed through the famous breakfast (barely had time to eat) and told to hitch a ride with a group in their private vehicle. The group was unaware of this, didn’t hear the hostess telling me to get down to the parking lot before they left, and was surprised when I climbed in their vehicle. It was extremely awkward and stressful as I’d left my pack in the hiker lodge and was running around like a chicken with their head cut off. Didn’t get to enjoy the famous breakfast and won’t likely stay there again.

So, I’ll judge places based on my own experiences but if you lie to me, you’re automatically on the shyte list.

:)

Berserker
04-20-2019, 16:12
Dueling squabbling hostel owners make me want to stay at neither. A single bad review, like the OPs doesn't very much convince me one way or another. All I got was that a single customer was cranky because they didn't get the breakfast they wanted. The rest ranges into the realm of personal attacks. A car dealer? Why is that pertinent? They wrote on a blue blaze? Are we sure it was the owner and not a fan? Some hikers tag anything. From Arizona? Fetch me my fainting couch! The use of the term poaching and the emotional appeal to a long time local family business being harmed. These things make me wonder how the "hiker" knows so very much about the owners of each hostel and yet, was so easily duped, by a driver when the hostel was yards away.
I don't have a dog in this fight as I haven't stayed at either place and only used Mountain Harbour for a shuttle years ago. So all I'll say is I agree with what Puddlefish said above in that when I first read the original post and some of the responses, I found the OP to be a bit odd. Especially the title of the post. If somebody wanted to run a scam, it seems as though there are numerous ways to scam people that would be more of a money making venture than trying to "scam" a bunch of frugal thru hikers.

peakbagger
04-20-2019, 17:14
Recent thru hikers may not be aware of the history of this area. ATC used to specifically warn hikers about parking at US 19E. They would post photos of multiple vandalized cars and on occasion burned ones going back several years. Long ago a very bad incident occurred north of the crossing near Bitter End and hikers were warned to avoid any interactions with locals and the trail was not blazed at road crossings. Bob Peoples had a long term project of working with the locals in the area to heal some of the bad blood and he was involved with major relocation to move the trail away from the locals.

JPritch
04-20-2019, 20:24
Long ago a very bad incident occurred north of the crossing near Bitter End and hikers were warned to avoid any interactions with locals and the trail was not blazed at road crossings.

Care to elaborate?

Lone Wolf
04-21-2019, 06:35
Care to elaborate?

back in the 80s the govt. took land to reroute the trail off roads in that area. locals got pissed and hung fish hooks at eye level, burned down a shelter and pulled guns on forest service folks

SWODaddy
04-21-2019, 09:54
Doesn't sound like a place I would go to, but it doesn't sound like scamming. Competition is a good thing.

Captain Blue
04-21-2019, 10:29
http://www.winterhike.com/@shelter.jpg

FrogLevel
04-21-2019, 16:31
In 2014 in the Hampton area I came across signs posted by local landowners complaining about their land being stolen by the government for the AT. The negative sentiment is still there.

Gambit McCrae
04-22-2019, 08:12
This guy has been here for 3 years now and has caused a major disruption for one of the best hostels on the trail. he does indeed sit at 19E and try and rake business his way. People HAVE shown up at Mountain Harbour late in the evening shook up from their experience at his place and he has been reported to the ATC in 2017 which it is apparent nothing was ever done about it. Not sure they really can do anything about a "dicks last resort" AT addition.

**Possibly a rumor that I heard is that this guy is actually the crazy guy that lived next to greasy creek hostel for years** I haven't heard mention of him in a long time.

The ATC says the following about the blue blaze trail:
"...In the case of the blue blaze trail, once we heard about it we immediately notified the US Forest Service. The US Forest Service required the hostel owner to obliterate the blue blaze trail. Also, it’s representation was removed from Guthook’s app. Paper publications will need to wait until later this year."

MuddyWaters
04-22-2019, 20:17
This guy has been here for 3 years now and has caused a major disruption for one of the best hostels on the trail. he does indeed sit at 19E and try and rake business his way. People HAVE shown up at Mountain Harbour late in the evening shook up from their experience at his place and he has been reported to the ATC in 2017 which it is apparent nothing was ever done about it. Not sure they really can do anything about a "dicks last resort" AT addition.

"
Aint no law against drumming up business at a trailhead.

Nor is there one about giving hikers rides to town with regular shuttles, free for lodging guests, and charging unsuspecting non-guests. Where unsuspecting hikers just piling in a van with others either end up paying, or being coerced into a stay .

Nobody twists anyones arm. Only stupid people have problems. Dont be stupid . Know where you want to go. Zero excuse for not having guide and using it. And for petes sake, the trailhead tactic alone should raise suspicions.

Never seen the "other" place. But given that a major selling point is proximity to a bar, im guessing it appeals to a certain type. And probably those prefer it there. Thats their perogative.

LittleRock
04-23-2019, 07:43
Aint no law against drumming up business at a trailhead.
Nor is there one about giving hikers rides to town with regular shuttles, free for lodging guests, and charging unsuspecting non-guests. Where unsuspecting hikers just piling in a van with others either end up paying, or being coerced into a stay.
Nobody twists anyones arm. Only stupid people have problems. Dont be stupid . Know where you want to go. Zero excuse for not having guide and using it. And for petes sake, the trailhead tactic alone should raise suspicions.
Never seen the "other" place. But given that a major selling point is proximity to a bar, im guessing it appeals to a certain type. And probably those prefer it there. Thats their perogative.
I agree. If you're walking down the street in town and a random stranger offers you a ride, would you take it? Assuming the answer is no, why would you behave any differently on the trail?

greenmtnboy
04-23-2019, 12:17
If the new hostel owner is charging fees he is also bound by state laws. I'm sure that the TN state consumer affairs people would be interested as well as the ATC.

k2basecamp
04-23-2019, 12:41
Too many people waste money and time at hostels. Just keep hiking��

Gambit McCrae
04-23-2019, 13:44
If the new hostel owner is charging fees he is also bound by state laws. I'm sure that the TN state consumer affairs people would be interested as well as the ATC.

The ATC wasn't interested at all...

Astro
04-23-2019, 13:53
Too many people waste money and time at hostels. Just keep hiking��

True, but it sure is nice to get a shower once every week or so.

peakbagger
04-23-2019, 15:05
I don't think the ATC really cares on the license status of a trail provider as long as they are outside the AT corridor. I expect if they checked legalities of various hostels along the trail they would find out that many are operating under the radar with respect to licensing and insurance. I expect there are many well meaning folks who don't realize that their act of kindness or side business exposes them to a whole lot of liability.

TNhiker
04-23-2019, 15:29
I expect there are many well meaning folks who don't realize that there act of kindness or side business exposes them to a whole lot of liability.

yup....

and that would include people who charge for shuttles....

greenmtnboy
04-23-2019, 18:23
The ATC wasn't interested at all...

Then I would contact TN department charged with looking into it: https://www.tn.gov/commerce/consumer/file-a-complaint.html

Could also call the state AG: https://www.tn.gov/attorneygeneral/contact-us.html

Probably like a lot of states unregulated businesses could get money on donation basis, but once you charge for hosteling, shuttles, etc. that is regulated. For example the TT and some other hostels has a donation box.

greenmtnboy
04-23-2019, 18:29
Duplicate delete

MuddyWaters
04-23-2019, 20:55
I don't think the ATC really cares on the license status of a trail provider as long as they are outside the AT corridor. I expect if they checked legalities of various hostels along the trail they would find out that many are operating under the radar with respect to licensing and insurance. I expect there are many well meaning folks who don't realize that their act of kindness or side business exposes them to a whole lot of liability.
the flip side of that, is that many hikers only want to spend $20 to stay in a bunk somewhere, wash clothes, and have use of a stove. The competition is often a $60 motel room that sleeps 2. Works out in interest of all until something goes wrong.

For that matter i know people that lease 2 nd houses they own without commercial insurance...they hope ins co doesnt find out if they file a claim.

Ethesis
04-24-2019, 19:48
Or I mean this place https://thestationat19e.com/

ok. I stayed at the Station.

We got a hot breakfast.

Pancakes. Hash browns. Eggs. Lots more.

There was a guy who was there badmouthing the Station and telling lies. It is by no means “the absolute worst hostel on the trail” and the shuttles into town for dinner and resupply were top notch (free shuttle if you wanted food for dinner they weren’t selling at the bar). Local businesses had positive things to say.

Ethesis
04-24-2019, 19:53
I have been to neither of the hostels at Roan Mountain but do recall a thread from a few months ago started by the Station 19e owner/marketing person.

That particular thread was about buying a beer for a hiker. They had started several threads recently promoting their business and I called them out (jokingly) for spamming. I realize they were just making a solid effort at promoting their new business across various outlets online. They sent me a pm with a little more detail about what they were trying to bring to the trail community.

I am nosy so I looked up their website and social media presence and they had a small but growing reputation that seemed to be very positive.

I can't give any first hand experience with their services on the trail, but calling them a scammer may be a little harsh. It also sounds like something a competing business might do in this day and age where attacking competitors online is a standard business practice. (I am not saying that is what the OP is doing, but it sounds similar to the fake reviews you see online claiming a hotel has bedbugs or a restaurant serves on dirty dishes, this hostel owner is a used car salesman from New Mexico who moved here to scam hikers, lol)

Perhaps the shuttle driver miscommunicated or perhaps they were shadily trying to poach business. If it is in fact a shuttle driver lying to hikers to steal business hopefully the owner is made aware of it and addresses it. That is not cool for any business, much less a hostel in a close knit community like the AT.

Here is a link to all of the posts from the Station 19e here at White Blaze: https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?searchid=14082891

And here is a link to their website and Facebook:

https://thestationat19e.com

https://m.facebook.com/thestationat19e/?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fthestationat19e.com%2F&_rdr

And here is an article from a local paper linked on White Blaze by our very own scraper bot:
https://www.averyjournal.com/avery/the-trail-provides-the-station-at-e/article_b409caf0-78ad-5e6d-aab7-9b7593c1ede2.html

As I said, I haven't been to Station 19e so I can't personally vouch for them, but they do appear to have a growing positive reputation among those have.

Hopefully both businesses can be successful and a positive experience for the trail community.

we also did some slack packing out of 19E.

Proper maintenance on his shuttle too (and you know that is rare).

But the only place I stayed that had someone hanging out in the hostel part badmouthing them and trying to recruit business for the other hostel in a way that was sketchy as heck.

Ethesis
04-24-2019, 20:04
So. Bottom line. My experience was that there was something sketchy going on—but not at 19E.

I was pleased with the prices, the food, especially the breakfast, the shuttles and the service.

It was a pretty full hostel.

Only sketchy thing at all at was the guy claiming to be a through hiker who had seen ever hostel and could tell us this one was the worst one ever.

No no one at the trail head. You had to call when we were there.

Anyway. I’m in Marion now. Tomorrow I see the llamas.

Ethesis.wordpress.com.

And yes. That sketchy guy upstairs trying to steal business got my attention.

If you think he and this post are related you have my impression.

SWODaddy
04-24-2019, 23:50

Yep. The one that always makes me cringe is the hostel(s) with a vehicle that hikers can drive into town.

chknfngrs
04-25-2019, 10:19
The more I read about hostels and services the less I want to include them in my thru hike, if I ever am lucky enough to thru

MuddyWaters
04-25-2019, 16:06
The more I read about hostels and services the less I want to include them in my thru hike, if I ever am lucky enough to thru
Wont be missing anything.

Some are really nice, some are really cheap and sketchy some are just really convenient. Sometimes i stay hostels, sometimes motel or hotel rooms. I dont mind a little socialization, but some, hostels are actually quiet, have to leave to find people, everyones out in town, not at the hostel.

Ethesis
04-25-2019, 17:42
I’m surprised I’m still annoyed.

I had never heard of a legendary breakfast. We got a great breakfast for ten (not twelve) dollars and great shuttles into town and elsewhere. Had dinner in town twice as well as some bar food.

The only scam I saw was the “through hiker” trying to get people to switch hostels by lurking upstairs and telling lies.

Anyway. I’m going to watch the rain and the alpacas. Long Neck is a great place. Best smelling bathroom I’ve encountered (I started to walk back out because I was sure I’d hit the wrong room).

Atkins is great (and of all things the Marion City shuttle will drive over and take you into Marion for fifty cents from Atkins if you need anything from Walmart or Ingles).

MuddyWaters
04-25-2019, 20:57
I’m surprised I’m still annoyed.

I had never heard of a legendary breakfast. We got a great breakfast for ten (not twelve) dollars and great shuttles into town and elsewhere. Had dinner in town twice as well as some bar food.

The only scam I saw was the “through hiker” trying to get people to switch hostels by lurking upstairs and telling lies.

Anyway. I’m going to watch the rain and the alpacas. Long Neck is a great place. Best smelling bathroom I’ve encountered (I started to walk back out because I was sure I’d hit the wrong room).

Atkins is great (and of all things the Marion City shuttle will drive over and take you into Marion for fifty cents from Atkins if you need anything from Walmart or Ingles).
Wondering if the maligned " brew blaze", is the trail "cherokee path" thats even shown on google maps. Starts feet from AT ( possibly at it?) , comes out in front of the station.

I don't remember much about that area except the rocky excuse for trail down, seemingly endless long switchbacks

Durwood
04-25-2019, 23:21
Wondering if the maligned " brew blaze", is the trail "cherokee path" thats even shown on google maps. Starts feet from AT ( possibly at it?) , comes out in front of the station.

I don't remember much about that area except the rocky excuse for trail down, seemingly endless long switchbacks

I think you're right. Last year's AWOL guide showed that downhill as 0.3 miles...more like 2.5 miles of switchback. I thought it was beautiful hiking against the sheer walls but the error in mileage (after hike from Roan High, over balds) was not welcome.

My hiking buddy was at the Station, I went to MH. He loved his stay and truly appreciated the owner. I loved my stay but never met the owner of the B&B. Shannon and her husband were great.

Now...there was a lot of curiosity about what kind of tricks were being played at the trailhead. Animosity between the 2 proprietors. I found it slightly off-putting that they couldn't establish ground rules and co-exist.

All in all, it was a great day and a half with good people. Hiked out of there very happy. One place shuttles like crazy, puts you in a bed above the bar.....

One place puts you in a nice clean barn (more than adequate) and seats you in the main house for a gourmet breakfast. Different hikers like different things. I loved Mtn Harbour, my buddy loved the Station.

doeriverhikerrest
07-02-2019, 20:54
This person obviously doesn't know me and never has been to the Doe River or The Station at 19e. No I've never been a used car salesman and no I don't prey on hikers. When I started this I did my market research and asked hikers what they didn't like about hostels and looked at a bunch of them. #1 transportation, hikers loved to be picked up at the trailhead and like to go to town without paying a fortune. #2 nickle and dime #3 overpriced resupply #4 would like a beer. So I decided to give free shuttles to and from the trailhead and free shuttles to town whether or not you are staying with me or not. We increased restaurant sales in Roan Mountain by 25% in 2016 simply by doing this. I paid for it all out of pocket and gave away over 6000 cokes. We decided to charge a flat rate to include everything, soaps, laundry, shuttle, lines, shower, foot bath even a mint on your pillow and a washcloth. Instead of sitting out in front of Dollar General for hours I lowered resupply prices to that of dollar general. Hikers appreciate it and I appreciate not having to go to dollar general all day. Then there is the hybrid craft beer pub, restaurant, resupply, music hall/movie theater & 28 bed hostel. I have nothing but good things to say about Mountain Harbor and their long standing on the AT have never told anyone they are closed and never turned them away from their awesome breakfast. Someone asked me if I had breakfast and I said that I do. How am I supposed to know he wanted MH breakfast? I just decided to step up the game and do it differently. How is it that I don't have a bad review on guthook or anywhere else but this one comment? I think it's time that providers on the AT start treating the hostel business as a customer service business and giving hikers the highest level service possible. If that makes me a used car salesman then so be it. I welcome any and all of you to stop in and feel the positive energy here at the station.
David Magee

doeriverhikerrest
07-02-2019, 20:58
I welcome any of you to contact me directly. The Station at 19e has become bigger than me or my wife. Hikers have built it and made it what it is today. I welcome the opportunity to work with MH, but they have no desire to do so. It's a shame. There is no reason I couldn't take hikers down to their food truck for a second meal and they can bring hikers up for beer instead of driving past me and giving the business to a beer store in NC instead of our own county here in TN. They provide a quality product and we should be working together. I would like to know who I had upstairs trying to poach hikers from the Station. If you read this David I would like to work together. Seems others have spread lies that have caused us to not work together.
David Magee