PDA

View Full Version : Kent Ct Outfitter store for sale

hikermiker
04-19-2019, 08:47
The outfitter store in Kent, CT Annie Bananie, aka Backcountry Outfitters closed and the building is for sale.

If you have a spare $560,000 and always wanted an outfitter store here is your chance.

http://www.bainrealestate.com/p/195/170155212

ldsailor
04-19-2019, 11:02
Too far off the trail. I wanted to go there last year to buy new hiking shoes, but no one would pick me up hitchhiking. Then I called them and found out they don't sell shoes. Glad I didn't get picked up.

trailmercury
04-19-2019, 11:21
Too far off the trail. I wanted to go there last year to buy new hiking shoes, but no one would pick me up hitchhiking. Then I called them and found out they don't sell shoes. Glad I didn't get picked up.

That, and the real estate prices through there must be outrageous, (to be expected in CT) if that's their asking price for what is pictured.
Imagine if it was for sale in Franklin NC, it would a third of the price.

Location location location

hikermiker
04-20-2019, 09:46
Too far off the trail. I wanted to go there last year to buy new hiking shoes, but no one would pick me up hitchhiking. Then I called them and found out they don't sell shoes. Glad I didn't get picked up.[/QUOTE]

FYI there is a real shoe store in Kent called Sundog. They have a fairly good selection.

The Snowman
04-21-2019, 09:45
Boy if I could make the numbers work I think I would give it a try. But the money is what kills you in Conn.

4eyedbuzzard
04-21-2019, 13:53
Boy if I could make the numbers work I think I would give it a try. But the money is what kills you in Conn.I looked quickly on loop.net at commercial RE prices in Kent, CT vs Franklin, NC just for fun. Yeah, prices are somewhat lower in Franklin, maybe 35% on average based on $/ft² for a stand alone location. Pretty much to be expected due to the difference in demographics / income. But they aren't 300% lower. If the store were directly on Rt 7/Main St in Kent, it would be better, but they'd likely want more for the RE as well. As it was, they were a mixed enterprise - outfitter and food/ice cream, likely because neither alone can make it on their own. Selling outdoor gear from a small B&M in the age of direct sales, online retailers, and Amazon isn't a business I'd want to be in, and not just in CT. You need the perfect situation (like Mountain Crossings) to make it work these days.

MuddyWaters
04-21-2019, 15:29
Niche brick and mortar stores are a tough environment to make work today.....unless have some overwhelming advantage.

tdoczi
04-21-2019, 17:53
Niche brick and mortar stores are a tough environment to make work today.....unless have some overwhelming advantage.

i met the owner in 2010, he shuttled me. they were just about dead then, not sure how they lasted 9 more years. not surprised to hear they stopped selling shoes. he complained specifically that people came in to shop and try them on and then went home to order them online, never bought them

4eyedbuzzard
04-21-2019, 18:26
Much of B&M retail is in its death throes. I noticed that 3 years ago a store where I used to live in NJ, Jersey Paddler in Brick, NJ, closed its doors. While they predominantly dealt with paddle sports, they also carried higher end hiking gear (TNF, MSR, Moss tents, etc.) back in the days before online shopping. I'm hoping Campmor holds on. Haven't been there in several years, but it was like 5th Avenue in NYC at Christmas time for a hiker.

tdoczi
04-21-2019, 19:56
Much of B&M retail is in its death throes. I noticed that 3 years ago a store where I used to live in NJ, Jersey Paddler in Brick, NJ, closed its doors. While they predominantly dealt with paddle sports, they also carried higher end hiking gear (TNF, MSR, Moss tents, etc.) back in the days before online shopping. I'm hoping Campmor holds on. Haven't been there in several years, but it was like 5th Avenue in NYC at Christmas time for a hiker.

theyre online business i hope is thriving but the retail store is dying fast. REI opening down the road might have been the last straw. used to be going there on a friday night during nice weather would be a bad idea unless you liked huge crowds and long lines for checkout. now its always a ghost town.

and their product selection is way down as well. even online, which is a bad sign. and i used to love the stuff they sold that was their "own" brand (i assume someone was making it for them) that seems to have fallen away completely.

4eyedbuzzard
04-21-2019, 21:47
theyre online business i hope is thriving but the retail store is dying fast. REI opening down the road might have been the last straw. used to be going there on a friday night during nice weather would be a bad idea unless you liked huge crowds and long lines for checkout. now its always a ghost town.

and their product selection is way down as well. even online, which is a bad sign. and i used to love the stuff they sold that was their "own" brand (i assume someone was making it for them) that seems to have fallen away completely.
Sorry to hear that. Back in "the day" (60's-80's), the brown 20° Campmor down bag was the only affordable 3 season down bag for a lot of hikers. Gear wasn't as easy to source back then. We made a once a year trip in the spring and would spend hours at the store crawling in and out of tents, trying on packs, playing with stoves, etc. We used to wait in anticipation for the cheap paper mail-order catalogs to come in the mail. It's a different world now...

chknfngrs
04-22-2019, 11:08
Those catalogs were awesome!!

Sorry to hear that. Back in "the day" (60's-80's), the brown 20° Campmor down bag was the only affordable 3 season down bag for a lot of hikers. Gear wasn't as easy to source back then. We made a once a year trip in the spring and would spend hours at the store crawling in and out of tents, trying on packs, playing with stoves, etc. We used to wait in anticipation for the cheap paper mail-order catalogs to come in the mail. It's a different world now...

Pringles
04-22-2019, 20:20
I have a few of those old catalogs. They’re still fun to look at, and I look longingly at the old prices. Remember when almost everyone had a light blue Goretex rain suit from Campmor?

greenmtnboy
04-30-2019, 08:24
I remember when they were located in the art shops and then moved out to the road shop, they have done pretty well, but not a big money maker, more of a hobby business.

RiverbirchHiker
05-05-2019, 01:57

I think the distance from trail doesn't put them out of reach. It's 0.7 or 0.8 miles. That's pretty close, especially for long-distance hikers with a real gear need.

Not having a good selection and not selling hiking boots is a huge problem, though.
I've watched over several years as the outfitter part of the store was crammed into a smaller & smaller space way in the back. The lil' cafe'/ice cream place and the knick-knack store that's in the same building has taken over.

Also, they stopped shuttling AT hikers. I've used them before for a shuttle. And, shuttling people can involve section hikers who have a car and usually have money to spend. If your shuttle driver points you to his local outfitter store, you're going to stop in there at the end of your hike. As I did on my first visit up there.

4eyedbuzzard
05-05-2019, 09:53
I think the distance from trail doesn't put them out of reach. It's 0.7 or 0.8 miles. That's pretty close, especially for long-distance hikers with a real gear need.

Not having a good selection and not selling hiking boots is a huge problem, though.
I've watched over several years as the outfitter part of the store was crammed into a smaller & smaller space way in the back. The lil' cafe'/ice cream place and the knick-knack store that's in the same building has taken over.

Also, they stopped shuttling AT hikers. I've used them before for a shuttle. And, shuttling people can involve section hikers who have a car and usually have money to spend. If your shuttle driver points you to his local outfitter store, you're going to stop in there at the end of your hike. As I did on my first visit up there.Yeah, but how many LD hikers have a "real gear need" upon reaching Kent, CT? Unlike the southern end, the thru-hiker herd has thinned substantially and hikers that made it this far have their gear dialed in. You need high traffic to afford to maintain shoe selections and inventories. Section hikers bring their shoes and gear (at minimum all the expensive stuff) from home, and ride sharing services dilute the shuttling opportunities. You are left competing for local customers against online retailers selling at lower prices with next day and 2nd day delivery. It's just not a realistic business model in this day and age.

tdoczi
05-05-2019, 20:34

do you really think selling boots and having a bigger selection was a profitable enterprise that they just decided to stop engaging in because.... they didnt want to make any money or something?

i'm sure theres a downward spiral to it, but it begins with the demand for those items not being strong enough to sustain the business

RiverbirchHiker
05-07-2019, 17:06
Yeah, but how many LD hikers have a "real gear need" upon reaching Kent, CT? Unlike the southern end, the thru-hiker herd has thinned substantially and hikers that made it this far have their gear dialed in....

Yes, that's a really good point about it being that far north along the trail. I agree.

RiverbirchHiker
05-07-2019, 17:14
do you really think selling boots and having a bigger selection was a profitable enterprise that they just decided to stop engaging in because.... they didnt want to make any money or something?

i'm sure theres a downward spiral to it, but it begins with the demand for those items not being strong enough to sustain the business
I agree. Demand not being strong enough is part of what starts that downward spiral.
I just saw that downward spiral going on. I think if you go into an outfitter store and they have a really limited selection, it's going to turn you away. Then, word gets out--- It's not worth going there.
If you visit a second time (prob'ly many people wouldn't go back) because you're in the area again and the selection is even smaller--outfitter crammed into an even smaller space as what happened with this place--it's going to turn you away even more.

tdoczi
05-07-2019, 20:43
I agree. Demand not being strong enough is part of what starts that downward spiral.
I just saw that downward spiral going on. I think if you go into an outfitter store and they have a really limited selection, it's going to turn you away. Then, word gets out--- It's not worth going there.
If you visit a second time (prob'ly many people wouldn't go back) because you're in the area again and the selection is even smaller--outfitter crammed into an even smaller space as what happened with this place--it's going to turn you away even more.
for sure, but on the other hand continuing to stock a large array of items no one is buying isnt going to make things better, it may, in the short term, slow down how quickly they get worse. or maybe not

MuddyWaters
05-07-2019, 21:23

Compared to the internet, most selections are pretty darn limited today. And most pricing at brick-and-mortar stores is not competitive with larger volume online distributors.

I don't mind paying a few percent more for an item to buy it in a store. But 20,30,50% more ? well the stores just going to have to go out of business. It's trying to ream the customer to stay afloat that's the problem often. Poor business management choices, expensive real estate. It starts a vicious downward spiral.

Unless you need something and need it now, or need to see it in person to decide, brick-and-mortar is really tough to have a future in. even the stores near me that were very well-stocked outdoor type stores 20 years ago... Really don't offer anything I want today. And I certainly don't want to spend all day driving around to different stores trying to find and compare prices. Those days are over.

hell I remember when I used to have to drive to different cities to do that. It was nothing to drive a couple hundred miles to visit a store to see things that you only saw in catalogs otherwise. 30 yrs ago, Lots of people used to take these driving vacations to go up to Springfield Missouri to visit Bass pro shops. People drove 1000 miles round trip, or more, just to see things in a store that they couldn't see at home. Today just a few clicks of a mouse gives you the same thing.

Reverse
05-08-2019, 20:41
That means there is a very long stretch without any outfitters. EMS is closed in Pittsfield MA. So maybe we can get one started in like Great Barrington or Dalton

tdoczi
05-08-2019, 21:08
That means there is a very long stretch without any outfitters. EMS is closed in Pittsfield MA. So maybe we can get one started in like Great Barrington or Dalton

or you know, just order something from REI on your smart phone and itll be at the next PO before you get there.

and then if you're unscrupulous you return it and get a refund when youre done hiking. hard deal to beat.

4eyedbuzzard
05-08-2019, 21:24
That means there is a very long stretch without any outfitters. EMS is closed in Pittsfield MA. So maybe we can get one started in like Great Barrington or DaltonEMS being closed in Pittsfield is all the market feasability research that's needed. Someone would be spending a lot of money buying themselves a job with long hours and low pay.

RiverbirchHiker
05-08-2019, 23:02

I really like the Arcadian Outdoor Shop in Lenox. Their staff is friendly and super-knowledgeable. Prices can be high though as with most stores of that sort.
There's also a cafe there.

It's off trail so long-distance hikers would have to go way out of the way to get there. Plenty of towns to re-supply in w/o trekking here (10+ miles to get to it). But, it's on that main Route 7 corridor.

greenmtnboy
05-09-2019, 14:28
It looks like the store that was near the intersection of Rt7 is closed and there is some type of outfitter now in one of the shops near art galleries, etc..

I bought the new "backpacking" tent that Walmart put out for under $50. Kind of heavy at 5# but definitely an improvement from their dome tents.

I can't afford most of the outfitters. You have to pay twice as much usually than online or big stores. As long as most of their stuff is coming from China why should I patronize smaller stores for higher ticket items?

BillyGr
05-09-2019, 19:12
EMS being closed in Pittsfield is all the market feasability research that's needed. Someone would be spending a lot of money buying themselves a job with long hours and low pay.

That closing may have been caused by outside forces (EMS as a chain has had issues and closed stores due to that, plus the mall they were in has been closed several times in the last year or two due to the owner not paying taxes, power and/or water bills).

I can't afford most of the outfitters. You have to pay twice as much usually than online or big stores. As long as most of their stuff is coming from China why should I patronize smaller stores for higher ticket items?

It probably depends on what and when you need it - if you are out hiking and something is going bad, it might be simpler to pay a bit more to get it immediately at a store than to order it and be stuck somewhere waiting for it (or have it shipped extremely fast and wind up paying as much as the store by the time you pay the expedited shipping cost).

tdoczi
05-09-2019, 20:55
That closing may have been caused by outside forces (EMS as a chain has had issues and closed stores due to that, plus the mall they were in has been closed several times in the last year or two due to the owner not paying taxes, power and/or water bills).

It probably depends on what and when you need it - if you are out hiking and something is going bad, it might be simpler to pay a bit more to get it immediately at a store than to order it and be stuck somewhere waiting for it (or have it shipped extremely fast and wind up paying as much as the store by the time you pay the expedited shipping cost).
option A- i can have REI overnight this item i need desperately to the post office in the town i'll be in tomorrow

option B- when i get to town tomorrow I hope the outfitter has this thing I need.

which do you chose?

theres a reason why these stores are failing. its fun watching reality attempt to be denied.

4eyedbuzzard
05-09-2019, 22:25
That closing may have been caused by outside forces (EMS as a chain has had issues and closed stores due to that, plus the mall they were in has been closed several times in the last year or two due to the owner not paying taxes, power and/or water bills).Sports Direct bought Eastern Outfitters, the parent company of Bob's and EMS out of bankruptcy. But that sale was predicated on the closing of locations that weren't profitable. Pittsfield was one of those. The mall they were in was also deserted by Macys and Best Buy prior to the EMS agreement, and JCPenny and Payless also announcing they were leaving roughly at the same time as the EMS deal. Sears, of course, is gone now too. So, it's not a surprise that there have been utility and tax delinquencies when anchor stores like Macys and Best Buy and JCPenny leave. When they do, they stop driving traffic, and it usually spells death for the smaller specialty retailers, even ones like EMS.

It probably depends on what and when you need it - if you are out hiking and something is going bad, it might be simpler to pay a bit more to get it immediately at a store than to order it and be stuck somewhere waiting for it (or have it shipped extremely fast and wind up paying as much as the store by the time you pay the expedited shipping cost).Yeah, but again, small mom and pop retailers can't afford to maintain the high level of inventory necessary to fulfill such needs without a large customer base. Carrying inventory is costly, in terms of interest expense, floor space, and overhead. A store with EMS levels of inventory has to sell tens of millions of dollars in product each year to be profitable. Marginal locations have been eaten alive by internet shopping, which includes competition from their own corporate internet sales divisions. A small mom and pop outfitter simply can't offer the number of choices nor maintain inventory nor compete against big online retailers who get volume discounts, favorable inventory terms, and can deliver your purchase quickly - next day and 2nd day delivery are available almost everywhere. It's not that online retailing is a more profitable percentage model, in fact the margins are smaller than traditional B&M due to the high level of competition. Profit margins aren't as big as most think they are. Gross margins on outdoor gear may be 35%-40%, but after operating expenses 10% is really good BEFORE interest and taxes. 5% is probably more the reality for most. You need to sell many millions in gear to make it worth investing in.

A million in sales at average $200 per item (say it's shoes, or a pack, or a sleeping bag, or tent, or ??? is about 14 items per day average for the 360 days per year you are open (and likely at your store for most of them). You'll take a modest minimum salary and have $50K in profit to show for it. But wait, you either either financed the store , or you're losing out on other potential earnings AND you are putting in your time and energy - the opportunity costs. And, let's face it, you aren't going to sell 14 big items per day out of store in Kent, CT. It's just a no win unless you are big enough to compete or have a great location and customer base. Small town small time outfitter business just isn't profitable anymore unless there is enough volume or it's so unique you can charge what the market will bear.

sketcher709
05-13-2019, 06:50
i met the owner in 2010, he shuttled me. they were just about dead then, not sure how they lasted 9 more years. not surprised to hear they stopped selling shoes. he complained specifically that people came in to shop and try them on and then went home to order them online, never bought them

It kills me when people ask about gear and others advocate doing just this, going ot the store and trying everything on or out then going home and buying online. Do people not realize this kind of behavior will put places out of business? I guess they don't care as ling as 'they' get a good deal. It's all about me,me,me.

sketcher709
05-13-2019, 07:01
Compared to the internet, most selections are pretty darn limited today. And most pricing at brick-and-mortar stores is not competitive with larger volume online distributors.

I don't mind paying a few percent more for an item to buy it in a store. But 20,30,50% more ? well the stores just going to have to go out of business. It's trying to ream the customer to stay afloat that's the problem often. Poor business management choices, expensive real estate. It starts a vicious downward spiral.

Unless you need something and need it now, or need to see it in person to decide, brick-and-mortar is really tough to have a future in. even the stores near me that were very well-stocked outdoor type stores 20 years ago... Really don't offer anything I want today. And I certainly don't want to spend all day driving around to different stores trying to find and compare prices. Those days are over.

hell I remember when I used to have to drive to different cities to do that. It was nothing to drive a couple hundred miles to visit a store to see things that you only saw in catalogs otherwise. 30 yrs ago, Lots of people used to take these driving vacations to go up to Springfield Missouri to visit Bass pro shops. People drove 1000 miles round trip, or more, just to see things in a store that they couldn't see at home. Today just a few clicks of a mouse gives you the same thing.

It is possible these days to check online to see what stores have and then go to that store to shop but in any event your comments above are untrue and inaccurate. The cost of carrying a brick and mortar business is more than the "few percent" than you think and the thought that they are trying to "ream the customer" is pretty short sighted and offensive to those families that try to make something of a living and support their families. You obviously don't care to support local business and that is your prerogative, we will all just have to get used to the fact that at some point we will no longer have the stores to go to in order to touch things before we buy them. Too bad for those of us that prefer to support local businesses.