PDA

View Full Version : Hey all, newish to Wisconsin, looking for Ice Age recommendations

ShelterLeopard
04-26-2019, 22:38
Hey whiteblazers!

I moved to Wisconsin about a year ago, and have just started hiking on the IAT. My wife and I have been out a bunch of times recently and I starting to love the IAT, but we're still figuring it out. Does anyone have any favorite segments of the trail? Preferably around 40 miles for a three day/2 night hike, more preferably not more than 1.5 hours from Madison.

We have the guide, but it is always great to get recommendations from people who know and love a trail!

wisscy
04-26-2019, 23:28
Check out the thousand miler wannabe Facebook group. Super active, and will be much more focused on the trail. I've mostly hiked the northwest, so I'm not as familiar with the trail by Madison.

I have heard good things about the area around devil's lake and had a nice hike by grandfather falls and Tom's Hill near Wausau. You'll have a hard time getting long contiguous sections by Madison though, kind of the nature of the IAT.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

ShelterLeopard
04-27-2019, 22:03
Thanks, Wisscy! I'll check out that facebook page :)

MikeD
04-28-2019, 08:13
Kettle moraine state park northern unit and southern unit make for a great three day hike. Both are around 30 mile sections and very well maintained trails. Only downside is camping is only allowed the backpackers shelters which require reservation.

double d
05-08-2019, 11:19
Kettle moraine state park northern unit and southern unit make for a great three day hike. Both are around 30 mile sections and very well maintained trails. Only downside is camping is only allowed the backpackers shelters which require reservation. Yup-I agree, great section-welcome to the Upper Midwest!!!!!!

Vince G
05-08-2019, 18:22
If you go out west, the Chippewa Moraine section is nice as well as the section from Hwy 64 to the Mondeaux Esker. Wait for things to dry out, though.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

ShelterLeopard
06-03-2019, 13:22
Thanks all! We tried the Harrison Hills segment this past weekend, wait for things to dry out is RIGHT! Wowzer!!! 40 inch deep standing water 0_o . (did nothing to make the mosquitos better) . Can't wait to get back out there, though- it's a beautiful segment!

double d
08-04-2019, 01:49
Thanks all! We tried the Harrison Hills segment this past weekend, wait for things to dry out is RIGHT! Wowzer!!! 40 inch deep standing water 0_o . (did nothing to make the mosquitos better) . Can't wait to get back out there, though- it's a beautiful segment!
Thanks for the report ShelterLeopard!!! The IAT is great in the fall, a lot less humidity and black flies.

Surefoot92
08-04-2019, 09:03
Bob Wirth, a White Blaze member, is currently thru-hiking the IAT and posting regular updates on his Facebook page. His comments include his favorite sections, comments on how well blazed, places to camp, scenery along the way, etc. He will be completing his thru-hike in about a week. A Facebook search for his name should be easy enough to find him.