PDA

View Full Version : carrying a wee nip

astrogirl
02-27-2006, 22:19
OK, I've decided that I'd really like to carry a little bourbon with me, you know, a flask.

As a gram weenie, what should I put it in? What's leakproof (oh, the humanity to find everything soaked with booze you could have drank!!!) and ultra-light?

the goat
02-27-2006, 22:25
OK, I've decided that I'd really like to carry a little bourbon with me, you know, a flask.

As a gram weenie, what should I put it in? What's leakproof (oh, the humanity to find everything soaked with booze you could have drank!!!) and ultra-light?

i find the easiest way is to get a "traveler" and just carry it in the plastic flask it comes in.....if i can only find glass, i put it in a 20 oz. coke bottle.

the again, i've also carried a 750ml glass bottle o' jack (won't fit into coke bottle no matter how hard you try), so whatever floats your boat i guess.:D

KirkMcquest
02-27-2006, 22:27
I never had a problem with a nalgene bottle

Skidsteer
02-27-2006, 22:34
24 oz. coke bottle, if you drink the +/- oz. leftover, it's no problem.:D

astrogirl
02-27-2006, 22:42
24 oz. coke bottle, if you drink the +/- oz. leftover, it's no problem.:D

why the heck didn't I think of that?

I use soda/gatorade/bottle water bottles for my water bottles on the trail. DUH, I can just use a smaller one.

Man, I wish they had a smiley smacking itself on the forehead!

:eek:

Skidsteer
02-27-2006, 22:54
why the heck didn't I think of that?

I use soda/gatorade/bottle water bottles for my water bottles on the trail. DUH, I can just use a smaller one.

Man, I wish they had a smiley smacking itself on the forehead!

:eek:

I have not lived(or drinked) in vain.:D

jasonklass
02-27-2006, 23:01
This: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/platypus_hydration_little_nipper_bottle.html

I like to carry a little something to drink too. Usually Jameson's. Though, I usually carry mine in this: http://store.karstsports.com/karst/nalcanbladna2.html
You never know when 96 oz. of Irish Whiskey will come in handy!

dstenberg1
02-28-2006, 00:38
platypus little nipper, 0.8 ounces and perfect size!

Tim Rich
02-28-2006, 00:48

Just the standard plastic flask for me, since I already owned it. The other recommendations are fine. If you're counting the ounces, I'd recommend Makers Mark - at 90 proof it's a bit more potent but still quite palatable.

PKH
02-28-2006, 09:10
Or, you simply include a few airline bottles of your favourite in your re-supply boxes. That way you only have your nip on special days, and you don't have to lug the stuff with you every day.

Cheers,

PKH

icemanat95
02-28-2006, 09:29
Oban or Laphroig in a small, lexan nalgene

orangebug
02-28-2006, 10:48
I cringe at the idea of Oban in plastic. That stuff is just too good not to bring some crystal to sip it from. Any lightweight Waterford around?

longshank
02-28-2006, 11:54
What's your favorite bourbon for the trail? I like maker's, myself. Also, how do you use your own avatar?

irritable_badger
02-28-2006, 12:15
What's your favorite bourbon for the trail? I like maker's, myself. Also, how do you use your own avatar?
Best Trail Bourbon Whiskey: Buffalo Trace
Best Trail Scotch Whisky: Bruichladdich or Laphroig
Best Trail Armagnac: Montesquiou XO
Best Trail Tequila: Penca Azul

Best Trail Cigar: Padron 1964 Anniversary "Diplomatico"

I like all of these products especially while outdoors as they have a bit more "robust" taste that seems very fitting while outside. None of that smooth sissy stuff :)

I carry my booze in an extra MSR DromLite. These things are super tough and pack fairly flat. I've never ever had one leak on me. While a 20oz bottle works OK it does not pack very effeciently, plus you are less likely to make new "friends" if they think you're drinking water from your hydration bladder. A 20oz bottle of booze always looks like a 20oz bottle of booze.

mingo
02-28-2006, 12:24
my ol' buddy jack fits nicely into any bottle or flask

Alligator
02-28-2006, 13:57
This: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/platypus_hydration_little_nipper_bottle.html

I like to carry a little something to drink too. Usually Jameson's. Though, I usually carry mine in this: http://store.karstsports.com/karst/nalcanbladna2.html
You never know when 96 oz. of Irish Whiskey will come in handy!
Excellent choice of spirits!

Platypus 0.5 or 1 l.

Soda bottle is a good choice also.

SGTdirtman
02-28-2006, 14:43
While carrying alcohol hiking I go by this simple rule...

For your clear alcohols, Gin, Vodka, White tequilla, everclear, clear rum.... I go with a standard plastic poland spring water bottle (says water on the side and hey still looks like water inside)

For your light brown alcohols, tequilla, some burboun and whiskey, light rum.... I go with a Nestea bottle (says Ice tea on the side and hey it looks like ice tea inside)

For your darker whiskies, dark rum and so forth.... I go with a Pepsi bottle (says pepsi on the side and hey it looks like pepsi inside)

Now I also try to use "DIET" Nestea and Pepsi... No one suspects anything from a man drinking "diet soft drinks".

hauptman
02-28-2006, 16:45
:bananaJust don't forget to promote one unlucky hiker in your party to the position of designated hiker!! ;) Ha, ha, ha!!! LOL!!! :sun

terrapin05
02-28-2006, 16:55
you may want to mail yourself some spirits down south as alot of counties down there are dry...

Skidsteer
02-28-2006, 18:19
Also, how do you use your own avatar?

First, become a donating member( link on home page ). Then you can upload your choice of avatar on you user options page. Note the pixel and file size restrictions.

Alligator
02-28-2006, 18:19
you may want to mail yourself some spirits down south as alot of counties down there are dry...
I know a hiker that did this and in the heat of summer some of it "vented" in his maildrop. Said hiker used a 0.5 platypus. Perhaps a ziplock encasing the container would have helped. Fortunately, I'm told, the spillage was minimal.

Skyline
02-28-2006, 18:30
Mini-bottles (Amtrak / airline-size) of VO or Crown Royale, a decent brandy, Southern Comfort. Enough for one every other night works for me. Mix it up for variety.

SteveJ
02-28-2006, 19:01
I 'carry' my nip of choice for the weekend in a 1-litre platy w/ a push/pull cap. Platy weighs 0.6 ozs - maybe a tenth of an oz more w/ the push/pull cap. I have used the one I have for 3 yrs, and it hasn't leaked yet..... Light, easy to get to, easy to access, no extra lid to lose. just have to be careful closing the push/pull cap with your tongue - it'll keep some skin! :eek:

rumbler
02-28-2006, 22:23
I will until the day I die credit maker's Mark for allowing my knees to get to Maine.

In thankful appreciation, I no longer hike anywhere without it.

BW2006
02-28-2006, 23:01
Platypus makes "little nippers" just for this purpose. Bourbon or single malt scotch is my drink of choice!

weary
03-01-2006, 09:02
....If you're counting the ounces, I'd recommend Makers Mark - at 90 proof it's a bit more potent but still quite palatable.
Paw Paw highly recommended Makers Mark on his last thru hike a few years ago. It's a bit pricey so I only buy it when my wife isn't looking.

Weary

generoll
03-01-2006, 09:10
actually, i think for hikers there are two choices that maximize the benefits while minimizing the weight. 151 rum or everclear. after all, why carry more water then you need to.

Sly
03-01-2006, 13:42

Of course, according to US postal regulations this is illegal, but since dry counties don't wish to share in alcohol tax revenue screw 'em.

If you're sending yourself a large "backpacker" bottle you may want to add a little water to fill it up so it doesn't slosh around as much which can be heard by an alert postal worker.

This is one of the laws, one of our more famous contributors here on Whiteblaze tends to break repeatedly. Imagine that, since he's so adamant about others breaking laws along the trail.

Discretion is the better part of valor.

SGTdirtman
03-01-2006, 15:10
Theres probably not one person on here who hasnt broken some law no matter how minor along the trail... theres tons of things your not suppose to carry through certain counties or state forests but people do anyway sometimes unknowingly. Most people openly admit to having camped in places your not suppose to along the trail.

I really dont think carrying some booze on the trail is that big a deal. I dont think you should carry it in a alcohol bottle even those plastic travel bottles, Better to keep things like that discreet. Kinda like when you stealth camp you dont light a fire and have a ho-down letting everyone know what your doing.

irritable_badger
03-01-2006, 15:19
Theres probably not one person on here who hasnt broken some law no matter how minor along the trail... theres tons of things your not suppose to carry through certain counties or state forests but people do anyway sometimes unknowingly. Most people openly admit to having camped in places your not suppose to along the trail.

I really dont think carrying some booze on the trail is that big a deal. I dont think you should carry it in a alcohol bottle even those plastic travel bottles, Better to keep things like that discreet. Kinda like when you stealth camp you dont light a fire and have a ho-down letting everyone know what your doing.
I agree completely that consumption of booze should be discreet. The hiker community already has a "looser hippy" conotation that is only furthered when a family passes a bunch of nasty Thru-Hikers drinking booze, smoking, whatever, on the trail. Preservation and conservation efforts (i.e. protecting the Trail) are not helped when even one hiker is seen breaking the law.

I break the law in all 50 states every time I hike but I am discreet about it and it doesn't cause any trouble. "What they don't know won't hurt them." Discreet is the key word.

the goat
03-01-2006, 15:24
I break the law in all 50 states every time I hike but I am discreet about it and it doesn't cause any trouble. "What they don't know won't hurt them." Discreet is the key word.

amen. :sun

StrixVaria
03-01-2006, 17:11
I've seen dehydrated water advertised on a site or two - just add water... so what happened to dehydrated beer??

BW2006
03-01-2006, 18:24
Rumple Minze would be great too, 100 proof, peppermint schnapps.
Tastes great too!

Sly
03-01-2006, 19:17
Rumple Minze would be great too, 100 proof, peppermint schnapps.
Tastes great too!

Try it in hot chocolate.... ummm good.

greentick
03-01-2006, 20:07
Definately MM in the platy. For medicinal purposes only, of course!

weary
03-01-2006, 21:48
amen. :sun
My rule is "don't ask, don't tell!" Well, at least as far as booze is concerned. I've suggested from time to time to pleasant folks I meet on the trail that I qualify as heterosexual -- with only marginal interesting results.

Weary

astrogirl
03-01-2006, 21:52
I think I'd probably go with the Maker's Mark. I know this will make me sound like a princess, but that's about the cheapest bourbon I'm willing to drink. I do like it quite a bit though. I'm fresh out of Bourbon at the moment -- gotta hit the ABC store tomorrow after reading about it so much!

I don't trust Platys. I've had bad experiences with them, so I surely wouldn't put something in there I couldn't replace at the next stream!

As far as THE LAW is concerned, discretion is what it's all about.

swede
03-01-2006, 22:06
Like others, I would hide it in a soda bottle. I made the mistake of letting a pint of my "rhuematiz med'cine" be noticed, it didn't make it around the fire ring.

irritable_badger
03-01-2006, 22:50
I think I'd probably go with the Maker's Mark. I know this will make me sound like a princess, but that's about the cheapest bourbon I'm willing to drink. I do like it quite a bit though. I'm fresh out of Bourbon at the moment -- gotta hit the ABC store tomorrow after reading about it so much!

I don't trust Platys. I've had bad experiences with them, so I surely wouldn't put something in there I couldn't replace at the next stream!

As far as THE LAW is concerned, discretion is what it's all about.

If you can stomach Makers you really should check out WL Weller, he was one of the original Makers recipe makers. The Weller is 99.9% identical to Makers but easier on the palate and a lot cheaper. I really recommend trying it, if nothing else you can just drink it all and then get some Makers if you don't like it :D

luckliver
03-01-2006, 23:09
Haha... well, seeing as to how there are some 'nippy connoiseurs' here, I'd appreciate any tips y'all might have as to keeping it from overheating.... besides quaffing it as soon as you buy it! :)

irritable_badger
03-01-2006, 23:14
Haha... well, seeing as to how there are some 'nippy connoiseurs' here, I'd appreciate any tips y'all might have as to keeping it from overheating.... besides quaffing it as soon as you buy it! :)

It's heavy but you can put a few of those slender can shaped "6 pack" cooler things (they're blue and you freeze them for a while before you use them) into a wide mouth hydration bladder with the booze. It will last a couple of days if you keep it in your pack during the day and you don't water down the booze. The biggest problem on a Thru-Hike would be refreezing them I guess.

irritable_badger
03-01-2006, 23:17

Or you could just drink Scotch and add a bit of cool stream water to it. No need to worry too much about temp. Cold Scotch sucks, drink it cool.

luckliver
03-03-2006, 20:56
What? Adding water to Scotch? Nothankya.
But hey, I'll give the beer-cooler packs a shot. Thanks!

irritable_badger
03-03-2006, 21:04
What? Adding water to Scotch? Nothankya.
But hey, I'll give the beer-cooler packs a shot. Thanks!

When I first started drinking Scotch I said the same thing. As your drinking matures you will learn that a bit of water makes your Scotch soooo much better.

Sly
03-04-2006, 00:54
Like others, I would hide it in a soda bottle. I made the mistake of letting a pint of my "rhuematiz med'cine" be noticed, it didn't make it around the fire ring.

That's one reason to be discreet!

As far as I know, if you're of age, it's legal to have alcohol just about everywhere on the trail.

weary
03-04-2006, 01:06
....As far as I know, if you're of age, it's legal to have alcohol just about everywhere on the trail.
Very true. After a long day of hiking -- or working -- on trails, I love a few ounces of good bourbon. Or even a glass or two of good wine or beer. But compromises sometimes are needed -- like dealing with back capacity.

Weary

Patrick
03-04-2006, 01:47
Who knew there were so many bourbon drinkers on here? Sounds like a sub-forum might be called for. Maker's is my choice, too, but there's not much I'd pass on around the campfire.

I use a cheap plastic flask from REI. Lighter than Nalgene and the flat shape stashes in a variety of places.

Astrogirl, awesome avatar. I've got a friend who would propose to you just for being a bourbon drinking hiker.

Wolfpaw
03-04-2006, 02:24
Rebel Yell

SGTdirtman
03-04-2006, 13:11
That's one reason to be discreet!

As far as I know, if you're of age, it's legal to have alcohol just about everywhere on the trail.

alot of the state parks the trail goes through do not allow alcoholic beverages...

Klezmorim
03-04-2006, 16:54
Hi, I'm Klez. I have a drinking problem: I can't afford my favs (Laphroig, Balvenie)

If you like smooooooth whiskies, try Wiser's Very Old if it's available in your area. It's an 18-year-old (!!!) Canadian that puts the "oooooo" in smooth.

For weight-savings: I second Generoll's vote for Everclear. In an emergency, you can use it for stove fuel (Horrors!)

For storage: use an empty plastic soda bottle. The screw caps won't leak - they are designed to retain pressurized solutions of carbonic and phosphoric acids. :D

Islay malts in Nalgene? Geez, unless you dedicated that bottle for said purpose, I don't think you'd ever get the peat smell out of the HDPE (high-density polyethylene). Of course... if you always refill at your earliest opportunity....

icemanat95
03-04-2006, 18:28
lexan, only lexan for alcohol

Klezmorim
03-04-2006, 18:34
lexan, only lexan for alcohol

...Or any other generic polycarbonate!

-Klezmorim (a former chemist who knows plastics *and* alcohol!)

icemanat95
03-04-2006, 18:36
When I first started drinking Scotch I said the same thing. As your drinking matures you will learn that a bit of water makes your Scotch soooo much better.

A little water can make SOME scotches taste better, but not all. The only way water can rescue Speyside 16 year old is by washing it down the drain. A tiny bit of water can release some of the flavors of some richer malts, but it doesn't take much. There is no precise formula. It's really a matter of taste.

Klezmorim
03-04-2006, 19:14
A little water can make SOME scotches taste better, but not all. The only way water can rescue Speyside 16 year old is by washing it down the drain. A tiny bit of water can release some of the flavors of some richer malts, but it doesn't take much. There is no precise formula. It's really a matter of taste.

..And we're only talking about a matter of DROPS of water - just enough to lower the proof a bit to take the "bite" away from that first sip.

weary
03-04-2006, 19:34
..And we're only talking about a matter of DROPS of water - just enough to lower the proof a bit to take the "bite" away from that first sip.
Being a patriotic American, I've never fancied those foreign drinks -- even those from the country my grandfather left on a cattle boat 140-years or so ago.

But I like to get good bourbon down to around 35 proof, depending partly on the occasion and the company. Slow sipping stronger stuff occasionally, certainly.

I came off a three mile local land trust walk at 6 p.m. (about dusk on coastal Maine) after skidding on some oak leaves, falling and twisting a knee, the first such mishap in many, many months.

That makes this a one 40-proof bourbon evening, with a bottle of wine with dinner as soon as I get the energy to do something with the chicken breasts the supermarket had on sale.

Weary

SteveJ
03-04-2006, 20:14
Being a patriotic American, I've never fancied those foreign drinks -- even those from the country my grandfather left on a cattle boat 140-years or so ago.
Weary

chuckle...I must admit that I have a taste for good Scotch... But then there are days that just call for a long splash of Kentucky made Wild Turkey!

I hope you're knee's OK, Weary!

Steve

weary
03-04-2006, 20:50
...But then there are days that just call for a long splash of Kentucky made Wild Turkey!
I hope you're knee's OK, Weary! Steve
My knee will be fine. I momentarily thought, "I hope my wife calls the rescue squad quickly. But after a few minutes I recognized that things were getting better.

My plan is to be back in the same place tomorrow. As they say, "use it, or lose it." Whatever facilities I have, I tend to use.

BTW. Wild Turkey is a blessing. Good bourbon is a blessing. Trails are a blessing. Life is a blessing. Kids, friends, land trusts are blessings!

Weary www.matlt.org

Sly
03-04-2006, 21:51
alot of the state parks the trail goes through do not allow alcoholic beverages...

Even for medicinal purposes? Good time to switch to soda/gatorade bottles. ;)

the goat
03-04-2006, 23:37

But I like to get good bourbon down to around 35 proof, depending partly on the occasion and the company. Slow sipping stronger stuff occasionally, certainly.

I came off a three mile local land trust walk at 6 p.m. (about dusk on coastal Maine) after skidding on some oak leaves, falling and twisting a knee, the first such mishap in many, many months.

That makes this a one 40-proof bourbon evening, with a bottle of wine with dinner as soon as I get the energy to do something with the chicken breasts the supermarket had on sale.

Weary

i hope your knee'll be alright, weary. it's a good reason for a 40 proof evening though!

the goat
03-04-2006, 23:39
i myself prefer george dickle, staight up, perhaps a cube or two of ice. for all you first time thrus this year, remeber to have some fine bourbon on you when you pass through the mahoosuc notch, there is usually ice in the crevasses year-round. quite possible the only chance for bourbon on the rocks, in the middle of summer, on the trail.

irritable_badger
03-05-2006, 13:49

Yep. Just a little dab'll do ya. And you are right, not all Scotch's do well with water, but most of my favorites do.

BradC
03-08-2006, 10:40
Best Trail Bourbon Whiskey: Buffalo Trace

You are the only other person that I think has ever had this stuff. It is great, and not too pricey. I love it!

irritable_badger
03-08-2006, 14:11
You are the only other person that I think has ever had this stuff. It is great, and not too pricey. I love it!

It's the best stuff for the money out there. You can get your own cask and have it bottled just for you at the distillery for a very reasonable price.

KirkMcquest
03-08-2006, 14:20
Wildturkey 101. It seems to taste better outdoors

No Belay
03-08-2006, 16:34
Moonshine 190, taste better outdoors, indoors or by backdoors. Keeps you warm when it's cold and cools you off when it's warm. Doesn't matter if it's smooth, cold or hot cause after the first belt...who cares? Drinking mOOnshine promotes economic diversity by using corn for alternative purposes and it's production teaches the youngnns life skills such as plumbing, biochemistry, marketing, and camouflage techniques. Shine can be used as medicine, a disinfectant, stove fuel or blasting agent and is a known aphrodisiac...I think.

"Lord, help me to be the person that my dog thinks I am."

irritable_badger
03-08-2006, 16:40
Shine can be used as medicine, a disinfectant, stove fuel or blasting agent and is a known aphrodisiac...I think.

Yeah but you gotta find a female who will drink the stuff with you. Being alone in the woods with alcohol fueled lust wouldn't be a bit of fun :D

TN_Hiker
03-08-2006, 17:15
My fav is good ole Jack Daniels black. Have to do my part in supporting my local economy..:)

No Belay
03-08-2006, 20:17
My fav is good ole Jack Daniels black. Have to do my part in supporting my local economy..:)

Where I come from, mOOnshine is the only local economy.:(

CaptChaos
03-11-2006, 02:28
Well, I would say I would have to go with Makers Mark. This is what Gov Patton of Ky served at the Govenor's house. But I regress. I always carry some when I go backpacking but I find that I never really drink it after I backpack all day. Don't know why but when I am on the trail the desire to drink any kind of drink except water just is not there. Dont know why, anyone else have this problem.

orangebug
03-11-2006, 09:35
Don't know that I'd call it a problem. I know that I'm usually wasted from fatigue on hitting camp, and like to sleep with having to be concerned that my alcohol enhanced sleep would cause more snoring.

I usually leave a bit of Scotch in the car for a post hike reward, sometimes with a stogie to chew upon.

SGTdirtman
03-11-2006, 12:43
Don't know that I'd call it a problem. I know that I'm usually wasted from fatigue on hitting camp, and like to sleep with having to be concerned that my alcohol enhanced sleep would cause more snoring.

I usually leave a bit of Scotch in the car for a post hike reward, sometimes with a stogie to chew upon.

Take a break once in a while, and who cares if you snore in the middle of the woods? :D