PDA

View Full Version : Roger

AbeHikes
02-27-2006, 22:31
Met the ridge runner/caretaker on Springer on Sunday morning. I spent the night up there Saturday (ASP to Springer and back this weekend). He came over about 9 or 9:30AM and introduced himself. We talked for a bit and he let me know it had been about 20 degrees at 7AM. Then he excused himself to go check on the folks who actually spent the night at the shelter. He said it was 4 guys. Roger said he was going to be up there for the next 3 or 4 months. Told him I'd see him in March on my next overnight.

Anyone else know Roger?

ithai
07-06-2009, 15:20
By the time I hiked there, there was a nice lady as the ridge runner...

Tennessee Viking
07-06-2009, 16:55
I only heard of Many Sleeps

Ox97GaMe
07-07-2009, 10:26
Many Sleeps was the Springer Mtn Caretaker. GATC also had a couple of ridge runners that walked the various sections in GA.

putts
07-08-2009, 01:24
Met the ridge runner/caretaker on Springer on Sunday morning. I spent the night up there Saturday (ASP to Springer and back this weekend). He came over about 9 or 9:30AM and introduced himself. We talked for a bit and he let me know it had been about 20 degrees at 7AM. Then he excused himself to go check on the folks who actually spent the night at the shelter. He said it was 4 guys. Roger said he was going to be up there for the next 3 or 4 months. Told him I'd see him in March on my next overnight.

Anyone else know Roger?

It was great to see Roger after the hike in from Ammicalola in April '07. We talked for a while on Springer. That night he stopped by my tent to chat and noticed the unusual way I had my tent set up. Its not freestanding and I left the stakes a thousand miles away:o. He left and came back a couple minutes later with an assortment of stakes and said I could have whatever I need. I wonder what other hiker hand me downs he had in that big ole tent. Nice guy that Roger.