PDA

View Full Version : Section Times

MaximusD
04-30-2019, 07:27
Is there any resource I can use that will give me approximate times on how long specific sections should take? (In particular mass sections 3-7)

Gambit McCrae
04-30-2019, 07:33
Its all dependent on how strong of a hiker you are. Without knowing that it is impossible to say. All of Mass took me 6 days.

MaximusD
04-30-2019, 07:46
I would class myself as a strong hiker, the terrain seems to suggest it isn’t too difficult, but all I have to go on at moment. Do you remember how long those sections specifically took you approx

Gambit McCrae
04-30-2019, 08:36
I believe it took me about 3 days to do the 49.2 miles

tdoczi
04-30-2019, 09:29
I would class myself as a strong hiker, the terrain seems to suggest it isn’t too difficult, but all I have to go on at moment. Do you remember how long those sections specifically took you approx

if you're a strong hiker then you know how many miles you can do a day. nothing about that terrain comes anywhere near being harder than what you likely consider average difficulty. if anything, its easier.

so divide the miles by whatever you think of as a normal day for you and you have your answer, roughly. you'll have to factor in reasonable, and in that section, legal, camping plans which may cause it to shift ever so slightly.

Gambit McCrae
04-30-2019, 09:38
I would say the toughest of those miles would be the first 12 but then again I had a virus on that trip and called it quits at Goos pond Road. From Goose pond road to Dalton I did on the first day of a 2 week trip. At a sprite 21 miles on day 1 I got into Dalton feeling Aok and went to get a sub over in town. Now that I think about it more, yes I agree this section I would consider easy.

tdoczi
04-30-2019, 13:54
I would say the toughest of those miles would be the first 12 but then again I had a virus on that trip and called it quits at Goos pond Road. From Goose pond road to Dalton I did on the first day of a 2 week trip. At a sprite 21 miles on day 1 I got into Dalton feeling Aok and went to get a sub over in town. Now that I think about it more, yes I agree this section I would consider easy.
were i to ever hike it again (not likely) and if there is an acceptable, legal camping site roughly in the middle, were somewhere to dare me to do it in 2 days i would accept the challenge

MaximusD
04-30-2019, 19:59
if you're a strong hiker then you know how many miles you can do a day. nothing about that terrain comes anywhere near being harder than what you likely consider average difficulty. if anything, its easier.

so divide the miles by whatever you think of as a normal day for you and you have your answer, roughly. you'll have to factor in reasonable, and in that section, legal, camping plans which may cause it to shift ever so slightly.

Great thanks for that, i just basically wanted to make sure i wasnt underestimating it, and there arent elements to it that would make it longer etc that I wasnt taking into account (if just going off what it normally takes me for a distance like that)

I have to be back by a certain time! Cheers

MaximusD
04-30-2019, 20:00

Great thanks for the feedback, am confident i will be fine, just wanted to double check being i have no experience with the trail. Cheers

Gambit McCrae
05-01-2019, 08:36
Great thanks for the feedback, am confident i will be fine, just wanted to double check being i have no experience with the trail. Cheers

In all actuality You would be starting right at the base of some really tough miles if you were to be going southbound towards Salisbury, ct. As well if you were to be heading north out of chesire you have a long climb up Greylock. But that stretch you are speaking of is actually a lovely walk.