PDA

View Full Version : 4000ft Diretissma Unsupported Speed Attempt

joshgarrison
04-30-2019, 12:27
Hey there white mountain hiking community. My name is Josh and I am in need of some assistance. I am hoping to go unsupported on the Diretissma this summer, connecting all 4000ft peaks in NH by foot and without any resupplies. I believe Andrew Drummond (self supported) has set the bar up to this point going at 5 d 23h 58m.
I plan on documenting the journey through pictures and video (instagram) and writing a trip report at the completion. I do not have a GPS device (spot or DeLorme), but if someone was willing to loan theirs out for the week (for verification purposes) I would be very grateful.
Thanks for considering!

somers515
04-30-2019, 12:35
I plan on doing a similar thing this summer but I won't be going for any speed records, just trying complete it. I don't have a GPS device but wish you luck! Any thoughts on when you'll be making your attempt? Maybe I'll see you out there as you fly by!

peakbagger
04-30-2019, 14:00
FYI many of the past attempts using Spot type devices did not work out well as the coverage wasn't great and the required batteries to keep them running added extra loads. Given the tenuous status of Tecumseh and possibly other 4K summits, any record set may end up with an asterisk if the official list changes. That's between you and the 4k committee. Unfortunately I think Cabot is safe so you are most likely running over Waumbek, but if Isolation or Tecumseh get shorter then if cuts out some miles. I have heard some folks claiming that Guyot may get added but expect that is on your intended route. I think the satellite constellation has improved for Spot so it may not be an issue that it once was but expect battery life is still an issue.

Mats various attempts all unfortunately ended up with highly unusual weather conditions, record heat and humidity on all of his attempts including the N to S success. He lined them up with vacation time and the longest days of the year and pressed on regardless of the forecast. I expect if the weather didn't conspire against him he would have the S to N.

peakbagger
04-30-2019, 14:08
BTW, Phil Werner from Sectionhiker.com was publicizing a similar challenge modified by allowing hut stays, he had another name for it that escapes me.

One of the early Directissima folks from Randolph broke it into pieces so he would go road to road with breaks in between.

It looks like Andrew did the Mats rules

FYI, the route from Cabot to Waumbek is somewhat infamous for lack of defined trailbed and minimal blazing.

joshgarrison
04-30-2019, 14:54
Yeah, I plan on starting in July, trying to get the best weather window possible. So I guess it all depends. When are you hoping to start hiking? Have you decided upon your whole route yet?

somers515
04-30-2019, 23:25
Yeah, I plan on starting in July, trying to get the best weather window possible. So I guess it all depends. When are you hoping to start hiking? Have you decided upon your whole route yet?

Ahh smart, I'm probably going to start in late May if the weather permits as I'm not going for speed. I know NH has gotten a lot of snow this winter so I'll be checking the conditions before I go.

I do have my route picked out starting at Moosilauke and ending at Cabot. I'll be staying on official trails (i.e. no bushwhacking) except possibly crossing the Pemi to get to Cedar Brook Tr. but that will also depend on the conditions. I assume you also have a route in mind for your attempt.

somers515
04-30-2019, 23:28
. . . Given the tenuous status of Tecumseh and possibly other 4K summits, any record set may end up with an asterisk if the official list changes. That's between you and the 4k committee. Unfortunately I think Cabot is safe so you are most likely running over Waumbek, but if Isolation or Tecumseh get shorter then if cuts out some miles. I have heard some folks claiming that Guyot may get added but expect that is on your intended route. . . .

Interesting I didn't know they were considering recalculating what mountains are 4k again - thanks for the info peakbagger!

peakbagger
05-01-2019, 06:55
The cartographer for AMC who creates and updates maps has been in the news of late stating that recent LIDAR runs over the whites confirms data he has recorded with high spec differential GPS units that the stated summits elevations are off. Contrary to popular belief, the majority of the summits with the bronze benchmarks in the whites are horizontal controls not vertical. The majority of the summit elevations were established with photogrammetry techniques. Every USGS map meets a specific horizontal and vertical range of error and the summits that are close to 4K are within the band of accuracy where they could drop below 4K. This is not first time the 4k list has changed. As far as I know, the four thousand footer committee has not officially commented on changing the list.