PDA

View Full Version : Providence Canyons in South GA?

Lnj
04-30-2019, 12:40
Has anyone here ever been out there for a quick weekend trip? The trails are short by characterized as "strenuous" but I don't know how to take that exactly. I mean strenuous by whose standards, compared to what? If anyone here has any experience with the back country trail out there, please share your thoughts and opinions. I am thinking of going for the weekend of 5/9 - 5/12, but haven't completely committed yet.

Thanks!

Lnj
04-30-2019, 15:59
Just a bump. Shocking that no one on here has ever been to Providence Canyons State Park or knows anything at all about it.

skiBee
04-30-2019, 16:13
I have some frends in Waleska Ga. that have mentioned hiking at Providence Canyons.
But I have never been there.

scope
04-30-2019, 16:34
Some reviews you could look at here...

https://www.alltrails.com/parks/us/georgia/providence-canyon-state-outdoor-recreation-area

Lnj
04-30-2019, 17:06
Some reviews you could look at here...

https://www.alltrails.com/parks/us/georgia/providence-canyon-state-outdoor-recreation-area

I have the AllTrails app and have looked it up. Also visited the website. Just checking here for anyone's personal experience, as there are quite a few hikers here that I place certain value in their opinions and observations. Kind of like asking a friend in addition to reading online reviews.

Thanks.

scope
04-30-2019, 17:11
Understood, might have to be patient, but I'm sure someone will respond with some firsthand knowledge.

Hikes in Rain
04-30-2019, 19:23
Not all that tough; just some steep ins and outs. Very pretty, though, and historically interesting. They made a park out of a huge out of control farming erosion site! And this is where kudzu was introduced, as an attempt to control it.

Christoph
04-30-2019, 20:45
The "back country" trail (the longest) is pretty nice. There's some steep ups and downs, but nothing too taxing. There's a campsite or 2 about 1/2 way around, but no water close by, from what I remember. You can do the whole trail easily in a day and enjoy walking through the canyons, squeezing into the little "rooms". Very enjoyable, so much in fact I've been wanting to go again (it's been a few years).

blw2
04-30-2019, 22:07
I went there a couple years back, just a day hike with the family. My kids would have been 10, 7, and 4 at the time. My kids aren't overly athletic and looking back at the picture I was lugging around a big belly and terribly out of shape at the time..... we all handled the steep in and outs just fine. It's basically a steep trail down into the canyon....then from what I saw the rest of the trail is relatively level...we didn't do the whole loop though so there could be a bit more to it. Much of the trail once you get down is wet....it's basically hiking in a shallow creek bed..not even ankle deep.
It's not strenuous relative to trails in the mountains.
I didn't find any pics of the approach trial, but here are a couple...I'm sure you've found more online that show it better. I remember thinking I'd like to go back for a camping hike. It was nice

T-Rx
04-30-2019, 22:48
I have hiked the trails down into the canyon as well as the rim trail on several occasions. I am a physically fit person but I would not rate them as strenuous. However, they can be a very hot & humid place in the Ga. summertime and that can make any trail a little tougher. The rim trail is also shaded for a good bit of it. The canyon was actually caused by erosion due to poor farming practices. Hope this helps!

Dan Roper
05-01-2019, 12:22
Providence Canyon is a lovely park in an out-of-they way place. The climbs are short - elevation change is only about 200 feet between "canyon" floor and the rim. But it's hard to get perspective due to the configuration of the land - it looks more imposing than it actually is.

It is no fun to be there under full sun during the warm season. My preferred time to hike is late fall and winter. You can enjoy a trip this time of year, but try to time it so that you're in the early morning, evening, or cloudy skies.

Dan Roper
05-01-2019, 12:24
P.S. If the idea of a southern "canyon" is a draw, you might consider Cloudland Canyon State Park in Georgia's northwest corner, or Tallulah Gorge in the northeast corner. Both of them are lovely with much greater difference in elevation than Providence Canyon. But the latter is a fun, unusual, out-of-the place that doesn't get a lot of visitors.

perrymk
05-02-2019, 07:19
I can't really add much to what's already been said. if you do any hiking at all then you will likely not find it strenuous. If you're going to be in the area anyway you might also want to include stop at the Kolomoki Mounds State Park (https://gastateparks.org/KolomokiMounds). It's just another nice place to stop and they have a few trails and a small but neat museum.

LesterC
05-02-2019, 22:10
Agree with all above. P Canyon is not real deep because it is only about 150 years old. Still, very pretty. I would not consider it strenuous. We took my son and daughter there for a day hike when they were 9 and 12 and neither of them had any problem.
Also agree regarding Kolomokee Mounds - burial mound 75 to 100 feet high, the size of a football field on top. It took a large civilization to build. In modern times that part of Georgia is very sparsely populated.
If you like craft beer, visit Omaha Brewery in Omaha, Georgia, also in the same neck of the woods. Omaha’s Henahatchee Creek IPA is one of my favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

burk
05-05-2019, 21:47
Nice hike, not real strenuous. You might look into FOR state park. They have a back country trail that is interesting. Look up Pine Mountain Trail.

Dogwood
05-06-2019, 00:37
P.S. If the idea of a southern "canyon" is a draw, you might consider Cloudland Canyon State Park in Georgia's northwest corner, or Tallulah Gorge in the northeast corner. Both of them are lovely with much greater difference in elevation than Providence Canyon. But the latter is a fun, unusual, out-of-the place that doesn't get a lot of visitors.

This.....''''