PDA

View Full Version : Super Healthy/Cheap Foods

Old Spice
02-27-2006, 23:44
This is all kind of rough right now, but I am working on a few ideas that I think will seriously improve my diet and budget while thru-hiking.
For instance, for dinner I am going to eat mostly beans and supplement them with pastas. A package of lentils costs 99 cents and are full of protein, iron, and fiber. You can get a lot of meals out of one bag too. They don't take that much longer to cook than noodles do either. Add a few spices and instant potato mix and you have a hearty hobo lentil stew.
Any ideas from peope who are trying to think of healthy and cheap trail meals?

Tinker
02-28-2006, 00:56
Red lentils and Quinoa, if you can stand it. Both high in protein and moderately high in fiber. Unfortunately, both way low on the most sought after nutrient - FAT!:D

Tinker
02-28-2006, 00:57
Oh, by the way, both cook relatively quickly, too - very important. Carry lots of spices!

sarbar
02-28-2006, 01:22
Lentils and split peas are great. You can dry canned beans also :) AAdd lots of dried veggies. Rice and pasta are good stretchers (and pasta is full of protien!), pasta can be cooked and dried at home to save fuel and time, same with lentils.
Eat hummus! Good for you,and cheap if you make at home :)

skylark
02-28-2006, 09:55
rolled oats - raisins - roasted salted sunflower seeds, mixed together and eaten raw out of a coffee cup. a half cup will cover you for breakfast.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-28-2006, 12:30
Powdered milk comes to mind as a cheap source of nutrients. I'd also add oil to meals for the extra calories. I cook my lentils at home with seasonings added, puree them and then dry them -- they prepare very quickly on the trail and are tasty.