PDA

View Full Version : How is Maine right now ?

Suzzz
05-01-2019, 22:57
Hi there,

Does anybody know the condition of the trail on the section between Kennebec River and Monson right now? Wet or dry? Might there still be snow on the trail? Is it wise to hike this section so early in the season?

My hiking partner is having some health issues and I may have to go solo at the end of the month so I'm considering a few plan Bs and that section is one I still need to finish.

D2maine
05-02-2019, 05:36
Hi there,

Does anybody know the condition of the trail on the section between Kennebec River and Monson right now? Wet or dry? Might there still be snow on the trail? Is it wise to hike this section so early in the season?

My hiking partner is having some health issues and I may have to go solo at the end of the month so I'm considering a few plan Bs and that section is one I still need to finish.

i was up in that area last weekend, there was still some snow, not a lot but patches of snow and ice in the woods it will be worse on the peaks in that section. All the brooks were running very high and its going to be muddy. the crossing on the kennebec still had 6' high walls of snow on both banks. It has been warm ish this week so it should be melted out some more from what i saw. i will be back up there this weekend and should have a better handle on the conditions then.

By the end of the month conditions should be significantly better but still not great depending on weather, and we try to have the trail ready and blow-downs cleared before the opening of the ferry on the 24th. Stream crossings will still be high and cold.

egilbe
05-02-2019, 07:04
Local hiker on Facebook posted about hiking conditions in Carrabassett Valley. Still a foot or so of snow in the woods, more at higher elevations. Southern slopes, less. With all the rain we are getting, it's going to be a wet, muddy Spring and that usually means lots of bugs. I would wait until July. I'm usually still clearing trails memorial weekend. It's not really hiking season yet.

Suzzz
05-02-2019, 20:02
Thanks D2maine and egilbe!

My hiking partner had to have surgery this morning and will be out for a month. We were going to do the Connecticut section but I thought I'd do another section by myself and wait to do Connecticut with her later this year or next summer so I'm trying to find a good solo section. I saw that the ferry was going to be open on the 24th so I hoped the trail might be nice and dry. Sounds like a section in Maine might not be the best idea... not at the end of May anyway.

So it's back to my maps.

By the way, thanks a lot, it's great to have the opinion of local hikers!

Grampie
05-03-2019, 14:10
Hi there,

Black fly season is about to start in Maine. They can get to the point where you won’t enjoy your hike.

RiverbirchHiker
05-05-2019, 01:42
..... I would wait until July. I'm usually still clearing trails memorial weekend. It's not really hiking season yet.

It's amazing how short the season is in some areas. Conditions get much better in July but snow/ice/challenging weather returns in October.

I hiked the AT in Maine the last two falls and got there in early September both times. Lovely time and challenging/inspiring hiking. Hiking in Maine sort of changed the way I see the rest of the AT. Nothing is like Maine (well maybe NH, which I haven't hiked yet, except for right around Hanover). Hanover area is pretty easy.

Doc
05-05-2019, 06:47
Yesterday I was building privys that will be transported to various places on the trail this season. Many of the crew are trail maintainers and discussed how this is a late spring and that they have delayed getting to their trail sections because of snow, mud, and road conditions. This may mean that in addition to the usual challenges in the early season another issue will be the blow downs that have not yet been cleared. We all agreed that it has been a rather windy winter so blow downs will be at least as problematic as in past years, maybe more. A delay in hiking plans may allow for a more enjoyable hike. June presents the issue of black flies but their work contract expires on June 30th so July onward brings the good times here in Maine. Enjoy your hike.

egilbe
05-05-2019, 09:50
It's amazing how short the season is in some areas. Conditions get much better in July but snow/ice/challenging weather returns in October.

I hiked the AT in Maine the last two falls and got there in early September both times. Lovely time and challenging/inspiring hiking. Hiking in Maine sort of changed the way I see the rest of the AT. Nothing is like Maine (well maybe NH, which I haven't hiked yet, except for right around Hanover). Hanover area is pretty easy.

Best time to hike is from July to March. No bugs, trails are smoothed out with packed snow in the fall, Winter and early Spring. No problem finding parking.

4eyedbuzzard
05-05-2019, 10:21
It's amazing how short the season is in some areas. We have two seasons in northern New England - Winter and July. :D EDIT: Truthfully, June (May is muddy and buggy) through early/mid October is good hiking. But you could see light snow at either end of that window. Summer (70°+ days and when temps don't fall below freezing at night) is mid/late-June to mid-August. Leaves start turning in late August. First frost usually around Labor Day.

Hiking in Maine sort of changed the way I see the rest of the AT. Nothing is like Maine (well maybe NH, which I haven't hiked yet, except for right around Hanover). Hanover area is pretty easy.Western ME is probably a bit more difficult footpath wise than NH, but not as high in elevation. Most of the trail in Maine is more remote. NH doesn't approach the wilderness feel of Maine. NH has more exposed above timberline ridges. But in NH you'll find A LOT (and I mean A LOT) more people on the trails. The Whites are very popular for sectioning and day hiking loops as well. Popular spots like the Franconia loop, Mt. Washington, etc., can have many 100's of hikers out on a nice day. They don't call it the "Lake of the Crowds" (Lake of the Clouds) hut for nothin'.

Suzzz
05-05-2019, 16:07
My mind is made up. Thanks for all the feedback. I alread have time off from work and babysitting organised so I'll be going anywau but not in Maine. I've got my maps out and I was thinking maybe a section in Massachussetts. It throws offf my sectionning order a bit but that's a small detail.

D2maine
05-05-2019, 16:16
was out on my section yesterday its lowland so i cannot say how much snow there might up high. conditions were not as bad as i thought, muddy, snow was gone, blowdowns were average, the streams were down a little from last week and still some walls of snow on the banks of the Kennbec at the crossing. The river was up and flowing fast.

The conditions for Caratunk to Monson later in the month will mostly depend on weather from now till then, if the rain lets up then it will be seasonable for Maine(muddy, wet, buggy ect...), if it rains a lot then expect it to be very muddy and crossings to be very high.

edit: lol you decided while i was typing :cool:

Suzzz
05-05-2019, 16:57
The conditions for Caratunk to Monson later in the month will mostly depend on weather from now till then, if the rain lets up then it will be seasonable for Maine(muddy, wet, buggy ect...), if it rains a lot then expect it to be very muddy and crossings to be very high.
edit: lol you decided while i was typing :cool:

My biggest concern is crossings. Icy cold water up to my armpits is no fun but high & fast running water can also be very dangerous. I'll be hiking solo and there will be less people on the trail since we're early in the season. No point pushing it. There are plenty of other sections I can do.