PDA

View Full Version : Outside quilt under hammock...

Hammock Hanger
02-13-2003, 11:26
I just got back from my trip, (a few days early cuz we kicked butt!)

It got down to around 38 and was cold, as we were near the river. I used my quilt under the hammock and it surely made a difference. I still needed a pad, I used a windshield reflective pad. The cold spots were decreased a great deal and I was way warmer then my hiking partner. I only had a 45 degree bag and she carried a 0 degree bag.

I believe that by the quilt being on the outside it did not get
compressed as her heavier sleeping bag did. It rained 3 of the
nights we were out and I had no problem with the down outside under the hammock.

I figure the same quilt could be made leaving the tubes empty and filled with leaves and pine for even less weight. Just sharing my latest experience.

Hammock Hanger

MedicineMan
02-14-2003, 06:29
That is good news Sue....I was at the Walasi-Y center post hiking on this past Tues and Winton showed me a prototype 'pea pod' he and Speer are working on (or that is the impression I got) and I still believe that the 'underquilt' is the way to go, your report supports this belief! so what are you to do next?

Kerosene
02-14-2003, 11:03
Ooh, I love the idea of using leaves to insulate, thereby saving 1-2 pounds of weight! Of course, things could get ugly if all the leaves are wet and it would take even longer to set up camp on what are already limited daylight winter days!

DebW
02-14-2003, 14:05
Here in New England you'd have to stuff it with snow. Might work if the snow were dry and fluffy and you had a thick pad so your body didn't melt it, but your quilt would weigh a ton and probably stretch.