PDA

View Full Version : 2 months hiking

One Half
05-04-2019, 23:08
If you had June and July to hike the AT, where would you start and which direction would you go? And why? Would be helpful if the start would be easy to get to. Obviously the end point would vary greatly. I am a cold sleeper so prefer NOT to be in the most likely spot for cold weather to keep gear lighter.

MuddyWaters
05-04-2019, 23:35
Start around Delaware water gap, hike north to Gorham.
But will be in bubble

MuddyWaters
05-04-2019, 23:43
But will be in bubble
June is not great month . No where its not hot, that doesnt have black flies. Or mud. And probably will find mosquitos.

If start last half june.....sobo from katahdin.

ldsailor
05-05-2019, 12:48
But will be in bubble
I second this. Last year, I started at Wind Gap (15 miles south of DWG) on May 22 and finished at Gorham in mid-July. While there were some hot days, it was nothing like what you will get south of where I started. Most days I hiked in tee shirt and shorts and only in the evening did I occasionally put on a puffy jacket. My 30 degree sleeping bag was fine for the weather. There wasn't much rain and black flies were not bad at all.

If you do this section, you can fly into the Allentown airport and shuttle to Wind Gap or Delaware Water Gap. In Gorham you can catch a bus that will take you directly to Logan Airport in Boston for the trip home.

4eyedbuzzard
05-05-2019, 14:05
June and July? 61 days... If you're up for challenging terrain... And some of the best parts of the AT... Fly to Boston Logan. Short shuttle bus to Boston South Station. Trailways(?) bus to Lee, MA. Hike 640 miles NOBO to Katahdin. Cyr Bus from Medway, ME to Bangor, ME. Concord Coach Bus to Boston South Station. Short shuttle bus to Logan Airport. Fly home.

One Half
05-05-2019, 19:02
I second this. Last year, I started at Wind Gap (15 miles south of DWG) on May 22 and finished at Gorham in mid-July. While there were some hot days, it was nothing like what you will get south of where I started. Most days I hiked in tee shirt and shorts and only in the evening did I occasionally put on a puffy jacket. My 30 degree sleeping bag was fine for the weather. There wasn't much rain and black flies were not bad at all.

If you do this section, you can fly into the Allentown airport and shuttle to Wind Gap or Delaware Water Gap. In Gorham you can catch a bus that will take you directly to Logan Airport in Boston for the trip home.
If I do this trip I will have friends pick me up in Gorham, spend a couple days with them and visit family, and fly home from Manchester. You can't pay me to fly through Boston!

Venchka
05-05-2019, 21:53
Since you mentioned family in New England, I won’t bring up the CDT.
Have a great hike!
Wayne

4eyedbuzzard
05-05-2019, 22:17
... You can't pay me to fly through Boston!To each their own. I fly DFW to BOS all the time to head up to northern NH. Flights to/from Boston Logan are 1/2 the cost of flying in/out of Manchester (MHT); plus they're mostly non-stop flights vs. all MHT flights connecting in O'Hare, Philly, or Charlotte; and there's much better public transportation (buses) to and from Logan airport. Been stuck at half-way airports too many times when weather, equipment, etc, caused a big delay or canceled a connecting flight.

chknfngrs
05-06-2019, 06:29
When I was a kid (80’s) Logan was the worst

I’d also say end your hike up north, don’t bother with anything PA and southerly

LittleRock
05-06-2019, 07:44
I'd fly to NYC, take the train to the trailhead at Pawling, NY, and head NOBO as far as time allowed.

One Half
05-06-2019, 09:06
To each their own. I fly DFW to BOS all the time to head up to northern NH. Flights to/from Boston Logan are 1/2 the cost of flying in/out of Manchester (MHT); plus they're mostly non-stop flights vs. all MHT flights connecting in O'Hare, Philly, or Charlotte; and there's much better public transportation (buses) to and from Logan airport. Been stuck at half-way airports too many times when weather, equipment, etc, caused a big delay or canceled a connecting flight.

I also avoid DFW and fly out of DAL on Southwest. Flying in to MHT isn't much more expensive than going to Logan and I know I can check 2 bags free. I have found other airlines want to charge you for checked bags and thus people will pack HUGE "carry on" bags causing long waits to get on and off the planes. I would rather be OFF the plane and waiting for my luggage than stuck in the aisle as people struggle to get their "carry on" luggage into and out of the overheads. Avoiding Logan is also about denying MA any of my $$$ by avoiding getting a rental car there, etc. Plus, for me, with family and friends in NH, the logistics of flying to/from MHT is super easy.Since I don't work and my husband does, the connecting flight (usually BWI) and travel time lines up pretty good for him to pick me up at the airport after he finishes work for the day on my trip home. I've never found the layover to be very long. And yes, I hear you about the weather delays but even on a direct flight, if there is weather in between your start and end points, you could end up with a delay.

peakbagger
05-06-2019, 09:43
Portland Maine is a far nicer airport to fly in an out and usually less expensive than Manchester. The trade off there is no bus service or easy way to get from Portland to Gorham NH (plan on $250 for a private shuttle). Thus Manchester or Boston is the better option as there is daily bus. The trick with Boston is fly in mid morning through mid afternoon. Avoid the early morning rush and the evening rush which means a late flight if you are starting from Gorham NH in the early AM. Concord Coach is the only bus line that has service in NH https://concordcoachlines.com. Note I have no experience with Concord Coach from the whites to the Manchester airport (which is several miles out of town). I think a taxi or Uber would be needed.

That's why the whites is a nice stopping point. Once a hiker gets off Moosilaukee, they can either take the Concord Coach out of Lincoln or Gorham. Anywhere past Gorham and you are paying for expensive private shuttles to get you back to Gorham NH or Portland Maine. Since that doesn't apply to the OP since they have friends nearby, depending on how much they can impose on the friends, getting a pickup in Andover or Grafton Notch may not be unreasonable.

brauda02
05-06-2019, 17:55
Do the whole trail.

One Half
05-07-2019, 18:52
So starting at Delaware Water Gap - how do you get there? Coming from TX, so would be flying in and or using shuttle service.

4eyedbuzzard
05-07-2019, 19:38
Fly into Newark, NJ (EWR). Bus to Newark, NJ Penn Station. Bus to Port Authority Bus terminal (625 8th Ave, NYC). Transfer to Martz bus to Stroudsburg, PA bus station (1082 Foxtown Hill Rd, Delaware Water Gap, PA). It's about a mile walk down Main St. from the bus station to the I-80 bridge, which is the AT crossing over the Delaware River into NJ and NOBO. You can buy this as a combined ticket through Trailways https://www.trailways.com/ . I don't know if it is cheaper to buy directly or on day you arrive.

Alternatively, fly into Laguardia or JFK, and get to Port Auth. Bus Station - but they aren't as convenient or reliable as flying into EWR, IMO.

EDIT: See 3 posts below for link to express bus from EWR to NYC Port Auth. Bus Terminal.

chknfngrs
05-07-2019, 19:55
I’m not planning anything like this but if I did this right here is a goldmine! Thanks for posting

Fly into Newark, NJ (EWR). Airport shuttle bus to Newark, NJ Penn Station. Bus to Port Authority Bus terminal (625 8th Ave, NYC). Transfer to Martz bus to Stroudsburg, PA bus station (1082 Foxtown Hill Rd, Delaware Water Gap, PA). It's about a mile walk down Main St. from the bus station to the I-80 bridge, which is the AT crossing over the Delaware River into NJ and NOBO. You can buy this as a combined ticket through Trailways https://www.trailways.com/ . I don't know if it is cheaper to buy directly or on day you arrive.

Alternatively, fly into Laguardia or JFK, and get to Port Auth. Bus Station - but they aren't as convenient or reliable as flying into EWR, IMO.

One Half
05-07-2019, 20:08
Thank you 4eyedbuzzard! That's perfect!

4eyedbuzzard
05-07-2019, 20:51
Thank you 4eyedbuzzard! That's perfect!Correction to my above directions. It's been a few years since I did this and it's changed a bit. It would still work (it was the 62 bus when I did it) But check this link out to get to the Port Authority Bus Station directly from the airport without transferring at Newark Penn Station - Newark Airport Express https://www.newarkairport.com/to-from-airport/public-transportation