PDA

View Full Version : Norcross/Nancy Pond in mud season

Zea
05-05-2019, 16:26
Anyone ever hike through this area in the Spring? I've never done the trail and I'm wondering how drainage is and if it'd be just one big swamp.

Looking to do an overnighter out near the ponds, and either hike Mt Nancy in the morning or explore a little around stillwater junction(one of my favorite locations) though I'm guessing a crossing would be tough.

Any info's appreciated

rickb
05-05-2019, 19:18
Anyone ever hike through this area in the Spring? I've never done the trail and I'm wondering how drainage is and if it'd be just one big swamp.

Looking to do an overnighter out near the ponds, and either hike Mt Nancy in the morning or explore a little around stillwater junction(one of my favorite locations) though I'm guessing a crossing would be tough.

Any info's appreciated

I recall seeing a 6” salamander at the bottom of a post hole in long lasting snow one spring up there.

peakbagger
05-06-2019, 05:24
The woods down below the cascade hold on snow late in the spring. The sun just does not get in there. I would also expect the trail from Norcross along the south slope of Anderson would also holds snow late in the spring as its softwood and the sun also doesn't get in there. Once you get down in the valley wrapping around the NW ridge of Anderson the trail is boggy even in late summer. Desolation Trail is somewhat infamous for holding snow into early summer.

Zea
05-06-2019, 11:49
Thanks for the info guys, glad I asked!

I think I'll save the ponds for later in the summer and head for somewhere dryer/more familiar for this trip.