PDA

View Full Version : Give it up?

Moxie00
02-28-2006, 11:12
Today is Fat Tuesday and tomorrow is Ash Wednesday. Among Catholics and I know other religions it is a custom to give up something you really like for a period of time, say a month or two. If you were to give something up you really liked while hiking for a fixed period of time what would it be? Cigarettes? Jim Beam? or your stove?

Lone Wolf
02-28-2006, 11:15
I ain't givin up nothin!

orangebug
02-28-2006, 11:18
Ice Cream

although the message was initially too short, I might also give up brevity.

weary
02-28-2006, 11:22
...I might also give up brevity.
Brevity? Orangebug?

Moxie00
02-28-2006, 11:59
I ain't givin up nothin!
That shows you are a man of conviction. I was betting you would be the first to give up canoe rides and sleeping in shelters. Hike on.

The Cheat
02-28-2006, 12:05
<font>bugs</font>

Lone Wolf
02-28-2006, 12:32
That shows you are a man of conviction. I was betting you would be the first to give up canoe rides and sleeping in shelters. Hike on.
I came to my senses and gave those up years ago.

irritable_badger
02-28-2006, 12:44
I'm giving up cigars until I get to Maine (Lent just happens to fit into my schedule). Then I'm sitting on top of Katahdin and not coming down until I smoke the whole box :)

Lone Wolf
02-28-2006, 12:46
I'm giving up cigars until I get to Maine (Lent just happens to fit into my schedule). Then I'm sitting on top of Katahdin and not coming down until I smoke the whole box :)
That's not PC. The gun and cell phone nazis will have a fit cuz you're spewing smoke on the holy mountain.:rolleyes: Maybe you'll get mooned.

irritable_badger
02-28-2006, 12:59
That's not PC. The gun and cell phone nazis will have a fit cuz you're spewing smoke on the holy mountain.:rolleyes: Maybe you'll get mooned.
(_|_)

Well. I guess I'll know who not to share my specially acquired bottle of 40 yr Bruichladdich with. :D

Mags
02-28-2006, 14:24
I grew up Catholic and gave up the same thing every year for Lent: LENT!

Years later, I just simply gave up my Catholicism...for Lent and the rest of the year. ;)

Max Power
02-28-2006, 15:34
I gave up hope for Lent.

c.coyle
02-28-2006, 17:12
I come from a family of deformed Catholics. My uncles would give up alcohol for Lent. According to the rules in our diocese, Lent was officially over at noon on Holy Saturday. So, my uncles would get bombed starting at 12:01 p.m. and be so hung over the next morning that they'd miss Easter Mass. Never saw the point.

Jack Tarlin
02-28-2006, 17:48
I'm giving up Ann Coulter.

This year, I'm hiking by myself.

October, however, is another matter entirely.

Skyline
02-28-2006, 18:11
I'm giving up Ann Coulter.

This year, I'm hiking by myself.

October, however, is another matter entirely.

Good, she'll be defanged and have her rabies shots by mid-September.

blindeye
02-28-2006, 22:49
giving up coulter is a good thing to do imho

C_Brice
02-28-2006, 22:57
L. Wolf.......

don't forget the anti-dog nazis.

And for you guys against Ann Coulter and her ideas........

you need to come up with arguements/ideas that actually hold water before you start bashing people with more common sense and brains than you.

Chris

onicoe
02-28-2006, 23:17
i'm weird, last year i tried to fast for lent and failed miserably at it. i'm thinking about trying it again. other than that, there's not much for me to give up.

irritable_badger
02-28-2006, 23:23
i'm weird, last year i tried to fast for lent and failed miserably at it. i'm thinking about trying it again. other than that, there's not much for me to give up.
Fasting Rules!!! I think it's probably one of the healthiest things a person can do; especially those who aren't active constantly. Most people weren't designed to take in food constantly, there are supposed to be lull's in your dietary intake. It's surprising how much better you feel after you fast for a while. Unless you go nuts, you have more energy and you can think much clearer.

TwoForty
03-01-2006, 01:13
Life is too short ot be giving up stuff.

Sly
03-01-2006, 01:34
And for you guys against Ann Coulter and her ideas........

Oh no, not Ann Coulter again... Have a :banana Ann!

KirkMcquest
03-01-2006, 10:56
Oh no, not Ann Coulter again... Have a :banana Ann!

Would anyone care to enlighten me, and I'm sure some others as to who Ann Coulter is?? I'm thinking she's an author?

Lone Wolf
03-01-2006, 11:03
www.anncoulter.com

MOWGLI
03-01-2006, 11:08
Would anyone care to enlighten me, and I'm sure some others as to who Ann Coulter is?? I'm thinking she's an author?

She's a conservative commentator and attorney. She is also an author. What she is perhaps best known for is her involvement with the Paula Jones lawsuit and the effort to impeach Clinton.

To steal a line from New York's very own Bob Grant, "she's 8 miles of bad road."

KirkMcquest
03-01-2006, 11:10
www.anncoulter.com (http://www.anncoulter.com)

Oh, she's one of those I'm sorry I asked.

KirkMcquest
03-01-2006, 11:16
These conservative blockheads are as bad as the flaming liberals. Isn't it possible that a thinking, reasoning person could have views that might be sometimes considered 'conservative' and sometimes 'liberal'? Why do these people assume we're to dumb to make up our own minds??

Moxie00
03-01-2006, 14:35
Too bad you didn't visit the AnnCoulter web site last week. In the photo gallery there was a great shot of Ann and Jack playing ping pong in the nude under the chair lift at Aspen. Lone Wolf was riding the chair and spitting at them. Sour grapes.They took the picture off and replaced it with one of her with her favorite coloring book.

D'Artagnan
03-01-2006, 17:27
I'm somewhat reluctantly giving up Ben & Jerry's "Dublin Mudslide" ice cream. I'd gotten in the nasty habit of picking up a pint each week at the grocery store. Man, those guys sure know their ice cream. Their "Gobfather" ain't half bad either. Get thee behind me Satan! :rolleyes:

onicoe
03-01-2006, 19:51
I'm somewhat reluctantly giving up Ben & Jerry's "Dublin Mudslide" ice cream. I'd gotten in the nasty habit of picking up a pint each week at the grocery store. Man, those guys sure know their ice cream. Their "Gobfather" ain't half bad either. Get thee behind me Satan! :rolleyes:

not dublin mudslide! that stuff is so good it must be a sin. [:

Just Jeff
03-01-2006, 20:58
Someone told me bfitz is giving up wearing women's underwear but I don't believe them. :p

I'm giving up on ideologues and trolls...does that count?

swede
03-01-2006, 21:38
No more pain for Lent. i'm giving up excell spreadsheets, and sales statistics. Fasting looks good in comparison. I could lose a few pounds.:rolleyes: