PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle advice - Kent CT or Bear Mountain? Counting on your guidance!

en-dot
05-06-2019, 18:26
Hi
I'm driving from Toronto on May 15 to meet a friend in Fort Montgomery, where we will hike together until about Kent CT. I am struggling with what to do with my car. I have never done the AT - so I have no context for parking, distances to/from trail heads, etc. So I am counting on the kindness of you all :)

Do I drive to Kent on May 15, find a parking spot for 5 days, and have someone shuttle me to Bear Mountain? This way, when I'm done around Kent, my car will be right there. OR would it be a better idea to drive all the way to Bear Mountain, park by the Ranger Station there - do my walk for about 5 days (ending on May 20 around Kent), and arrange for a shuttle to take me back to my car at Bear Mountain? I don't mind extra driving - I just want something that's convenient and safe.

Also - I'm having a bit of a tough time connecting with a reliable shuttle/driver.
Any and all guidance is incredibly welcomed!
Thanks everyone!

4eyedbuzzard
05-06-2019, 18:38
Shuttles - https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/at-shuttles.php

Parking - http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/at_menu.aspx

Hopefully some WB members from this area can provide further info on shuttles and parking as well

MuddyWaters
05-06-2019, 21:24
Hike to your car, if possible.
Always better to shuttle on front end. Timing and control is more predictable.

A shuttler in area can advise on best parking. Some have let people park at their homes, businesses, or can tell you what free areas .are safe

Gambit McCrae
05-07-2019, 10:46
There are pros and cons to shuttle at beginning or end of trip. I personally enjoy parking at beginning, it allows me to call a trip short if need be without having to pay for a second shuttle. It also allows me to start my trip at my preferred time. Down fall IS that at the end of the trip I have to plan the pickup time with the shuttle driver but it has never been an issue at all. I would suggest parking at Bear mountain and hiking north to Kent, and then getting a ride back. There are also a lot of trail angels around Kent that you may be able to track down for a ride.

Starchild
05-07-2019, 12:05
I would suggest parking at Bear Mtn near the State Park Police (and letting them know about it), then shuttling to Kent and hike back to your car.

Feral Bill
05-07-2019, 12:31
If you end at Bear Mountain, and make better time then you planned on, you can add a day at so at that end in the form of a loop through Bear Mountain/Harriman state parks. West Mountain Shelter would be a good destination.

Teacher & Snacktime
05-08-2019, 23:13
En-dot....go to your post in the women's section....I put your info there.

stephanD
05-09-2019, 09:46
Here's what you can do: Leave your car at the Bearded Woods hostel near Salisbury, CT (100% safe), get a shuttle to Bear Mountain State Park, NY (not to be confused with Bear mountain, CT) and hike north back to your car. arrange a shuttle with Hudson or Lu back to the car.

en-dot
05-09-2019, 10:23
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! It has been more helpful than you can imagine :)

Teacher & Snacktime
05-10-2019, 16:28
Here's what you can do: Leave your car at the Bearded Woods hostel near Salisbury, CT (100% safe), get a shuttle to Bear Mountain State Park, NY (not to be confused with Bear mountain, CT) and hike north back to your car. arrange a shuttle with Hudson or Lu back to the car.
You can’t leave a car at bearded woods, nor can you drive there. Lu and Hudson take in hikers on a pick-up only basis. They can tell you a safe place to leave your car however and shuttle you to or from it.

en-dot
05-11-2019, 08:33
Just to let everyone know, thanks to your suggestions I have figured out a solution. I will be driving to Kent and leaving my car in the town hall parking lot. I have spoken to Joanne at Town Hall and all I need to do is sign in and they're happy to keep my car there for 6 days. Then, Hudson will come and pick me up and drive me to Fort Montgomery, where I will start my hike.
Thank you everyone for the help!

Bearded Woods
05-12-2019, 08:50
Yes, the Bearded Woods DOES allow to leave your vehicle at our place only with prior approval. If it makes sense/cost effective to leave a car elsewhere it will be always be suggested. Big Lu @ Bearded Woods B&D 860-480-2966, www.BeardedWoods.com...

Teacher & Snacktime
05-12-2019, 13:55
Yes, the Bearded Woods DOES allow to leave your vehicle at our place only with prior approval. If it makes sense/cost effective to leave a car elsewhere it will be always be suggested. Big Lu @ Bearded Woods B&D 860-480-2966, www.BeardedWoods.com (http://www.BeardedWoods.com)...

My bad L&H, obviously I was under a different impression. :)