PDA

View Full Version : Where to put the camera?

tlbj6142
02-13-2003, 12:51
As we all know a camera in the bag never gets the shot. So, I been trying to determine where to put my camera (compact digital) so it is within easy reach while my pack is on.

Buy a separate hipsack for the camera and other 10-essentials? Buy a pack that has builtin pockets for such items (P-2, Moonlight)?

Any thoughts?

Don
02-13-2003, 12:58
REI (among others) sells little pockets that attatch to the shoulder strap. Its within easy reach and still protected. Eagle Creek sells a variety of little pockets that will slip on the waist belt.. A small padded sack clipped to your waiste belt with one of those small non-load bearing carabiners is also handy for carrying cameras and other goodies...

Footslogger
02-13-2003, 13:11
Yeah tlbj ...I use the one Don is referring to from REI. Got the smallest ones available and have had them on my shoulder straps for years now. They are padded and shed water pretty well. I keep my camera (digital) in a small plastic ziplock with a dessicant packet. I can get at it in seconds without a lot of fumbling or taking off my pack. I use the other one for other stuff I need quick access to during the day. Takes a little getting used to ...having those pouches stick out from your chest but I can't imagine a better place for them with my current pack set-up.

On a separate note, there is a pack on the market by a company called ULA. They offer as an option, a zippered pouch that's integrated into the hip belt and is large enough for my camera. That's probably the next step for me.

tlbj6142
02-13-2003, 13:38
Thanks for the suggestions. My two local outfitters don't seem to carry anything like the ones available from REI. I'll have to check them out next time I'm near REI.

Footslogger
02-13-2003, 13:42
tlbj ...I think the ones I have are called the "Mosquito Pouch" from REI. They should be sold on their website. I think I paid about $12 for mine.

Sparky!
02-13-2003, 14:04
I bought a lowe alpine soft camera pouch ( I forget where, but I think REI ) that I attatch to the waist belt of my pack. It is always there to take a picture, out of the way and protects my camera pretty well. Sparky!

Jumpstart
02-13-2003, 15:30
I used a hydration system and hence had two empty pockets on the side of my pack where water bottles usually go, so I carried our camera in there. It was always easily in reach, and covered when the rain cover was on, etc...but still accessible. Defintley try to keep your camera in reach, especailly for wildlife shots...

tlbj6142
02-13-2003, 15:35
Your reply brings up another gripe I have about some packs.....

Side (water bottle) pockets you can't reach while the pack is on. I currently own two packs (an Arc'Teryx and a cheap Camp Trails) that I cannot reach bottles if they are in the pockets. In one case I can pull the bottle out (barely), but there isn't any way for me to put it back.

Maybe my arms are too short?!? Do you have to be double-jointed to use them??:D

Don
02-13-2003, 15:49
I gave up on the attatched pockets and use them to carry other things...I got a small water-bottle carrier made by Outdoor Research called the bottle tote. ..its holds a 1 liter nalgene perfectly...it has a velco attatcment to fit it around the waist belt. Instead I use a carabiner and attatch it to the point where the shoulder strap is attatched to the waist belt on my pack. This keeps if far enough to the side that its not constantly banging on my leg and far enough to the front that I can reach it easily...works for me...I think I got the bottle carrier at REI and it cost about 8 bucks...

ATN2N
02-13-2003, 20:42
I like using an Army claymore bag which has two pockets. You place it around your head and arm and it rides on your chest. Place camera, etc in one pocket and a water bottle, etc in the other. Everything is right there when you need it without reaching back into your pack.

2Questions
02-13-2003, 22:48
I use a small fanny pack latched around my shoulder straps to hold camera, quickly needed items.

MedicineMan
02-15-2003, 23:29
Agreed that chest is best, i.e. on the shoulder strap and point-n-shoot is after all is said and done the only way to get the elusive bear shot...even the quick digitals take a second to power up, well at leat the ones I have seen and a lot can happen in a second....so I am wondering if the Olympus Stylus is point and shoot/or how long its power up time is?

Tenderfoot
02-16-2003, 00:23
Speaking of quick digitals, or compact digitals... any sugestions on brands.. preferably with memory cards!

I hear the Logitech Pocket Digital Camera 1.3MP that was reviewed in Backpacker last issue (March 03) doesn't do well for prints of digital images or well in the woods due to the darker lighting.

MedicineMan
02-16-2003, 00:42
I have the Canon S-300 digital and have been put off by its battery in the last couple of hike...granted it got cold, very cold at 4.6F and the thing just didnt work....I've been negative on cameras lately anyway since most of the AT is already well represented photographically on many many sites (trailjournals.com as an example, so why carry one?) but we want some memories and I am still puzzled on which camera to use...I know this, my old Nikon F2 never had freeze problems but hell the camera body alone was probably 5 pounds!

Don
02-16-2003, 09:56
The Olympus Stylus is a point and shoot camera though with enough controls to allow you to take serious shots. I bought my son a Stylus with a moderate zoom (up to 80 mm, I think). I have very impressed with the quality of the photos. They are very sharp. I believe there is another thread on whiteblaze that discusses the merits of various cameras. The Stylus gets very high praise from its users. Can't say much about digitals: like Simva I still lug around a nikon but have been very tempted to buy myself a little Oympus as its much handier than unloading my pack to get the Nikon or have the boat anchor dangling around my neck!

BTW, the Olympus uses 35mm film not APS film. I think this is an advantage for producing good photos particularly if you want to blow a nice photo up for framing. The larger negative size produces better enlargements.

SGT Rock
02-16-2003, 10:57
Cargo pocket on my shorts.

RagingHampster
02-16-2003, 11:14
I have a big heavy Sony F707 (predecessor to current F717, only difference is USB2.0 transfer over USB 1.1).

I stick it in the waterbottle pocket, as I use dromedary bags.

mvng mtn
02-16-2003, 13:04
To have easy access to my water bottle, camera, snacks etc. I have been using a Dana Design Wet Rib. They seem to fit on any pack.They are on sale for $10 at:

http://www.northernmountain.com/pgi-CustomListProducts3?Dana_Designs_Specials,2,12,=,D ANDES,&,160,=,418a

Jumpstart
02-16-2003, 16:00
We also used the Olympic Stylus, like Don, and loved it. It took all the shots I have posted in the gallery, and we got some great close-up wildlife shots that we took pictures of as fast as I could get the camera out. It takes only as long to "prime" as it does to open up the shutter and take the picture. It is relatively light, (8 oz. I think) takes easy-to-find 35 mm film, and took quite the beating ( from us, anyway) and we are still using it.

Good luck!

tlbj6142
02-16-2003, 16:17
mvng mtn;

Regarding the Dana Design Web Rib...

It looks idea. How does it connect to your pack? I see two straps connecting to the shoulder straps, but does it attach to the hipbelt at all to keep it from bounding?

Groucho
02-16-2003, 21:03
The Olympus Stylus Zoom is a good camera; light and supposedly "weatherproof". I borrowed my daughter's and used it as a backup to my Canon T-70 when taking wedding pictures for my niece. The only way I could tell the difference was that the corners weren't as crisp with the Stylus; this is common with point and shoot 35's and not a big deal.

I have a Olympus Infinity Superzoom 3000 which is also "weatherproof" and takes great pictures. Unfortunately, it weighs in at about 12-13 oz. with film and batteries. You might find a good used one somewhere.

Good Shooting!

:banana

mvng mtn
02-16-2003, 22:07
The Wet Rib connects with two sliding buckles to one packstrap with the main body of the wet rib and has a belt and quick release clip that goes to the another sliding clip on the other pack strap. The sliding clips allow you to position the rib at any point on the pack straps low down by the hip belt sort of like a fanny pack or anywhere up higher towards the sternum strap. You can cinch it down pretty snugly to not move around to much.For $10 it a pretty good deal. It comes with bike water bottle, but it also fits 32oz.Nalgene bottles

MedicineMan
02-16-2003, 22:43
Didnt want to give the wrong impression-I dont carry the Nikon anymore, haven't since my early 20's, and only recently 'tried' to carry the digital Cannon but hate the cold battery effect, and on last hike carried the Vectis, but am not happy or satisfied with it either. currently am studying the Stylus but have to determine if you can literally grab it and push one button and get the shot off.

Happy
02-17-2003, 11:16
Like Don and Jumpstart I also use the Olympus Stylus...very pleased, just open the shutter and shoot..very fast for wildlife shots. Mine is not a zoom, just plain point and shoot and takes Great pictures.

I put batteries in a year ago and still shooting (non-zoom). It has held up well to being dropped and the weather...I have read some great reviews by other users on the trail.

I use a 3.5 oz fanny pack in front for quick access as well as to store snacks and data pages, etc.

Kerosene
02-17-2003, 15:55
I tried out a DD Wet Rib on a week-long hike last October. It was great having my camera, snacks, trail map and 20 oz. water bottle readily available. The Wet Rib weighs 6 oz. and the Dry Rib (no water bottle) comes in at 4 oz. They both attach at the bottom of the pack's shoulder straps, and buckle up after you cinch up your hip belt, so it's yet one more strap to get snugged the right way.

CeCe
02-23-2003, 22:10
I put mine in a small foam wrapper and in my front pants pocket--never a problem, and it's easy to get. CeCe

cburnett
04-19-2003, 21:57
T*** <wait am I supposed to keep your idenity concealed?>

Older Brother-

I know others have already responded, but here is part of what CW B (professional outdoor photographier) told me over a 2.5 hour coffee meeting. He carries his camera (s) in the dana design wet rib. They are not water proof. He stuffs the rib with a garbage bag and leaves the garbage bag open. You don't want condensation gathering around camera body, nor do you want rain / sweat collecting on the camera. currently CW B has one rib and is planning to get another.

for people with multi lens or multi bodies. again keep them in a ziploc that is open. The ziploc keeps out most water <your pack cover should provide the most protection, but ziploc is more to keep dirt from the body / len.

CW B keeps only one camera at easy access and the other is in his pack <until he gets his second rib>. He packs his lens / SLR bodies with cloth stuff sack under the photo gear, then his rain gear & fleece wrapped like a horse shoe around the bodies / lens.

Hope this helps

tlbj6142
04-20-2003, 08:49
The Wet Rib has been mentioned twice now. I guess I'll have to take a look at it more closely.

Peaks
04-20-2003, 08:55
Originally posted by tlbj6142
The Wet Rib has been mentioned twice now. I guess I'll have to take a look at it more closely.

OK, What's a Wet Rib?

tlbj6142
04-20-2003, 12:46
Here (http://www.danadesign.com/03packs/pack_necessities.html) it is.

I think it clips onto your belt and across your stomach to the opposite shoulder strap.

Basically a larger, specialized hipbelt pouch.

:banana :banana

painter_guy
04-20-2003, 19:49
Originally posted by Simva the Medicine Man
Didnt want to give the wrong impression-I dont carry the Nikon anymore, haven't since my early 20's, and only recently 'tried' to carry the digital Cannon but hate the cold battery effect, and on last hike carried the Vectis, but am not happy or satisfied with it either. currently am studying the Stylus but have to determine if you can literally grab it and push one button and get the shot off.

painter_guy
04-20-2003, 19:52
Originally posted by Simva the Medicine Man

I beat the cold battery effect by keeping the digital camera next under my coat in the winter. As long as it don't get too warm it doesn't fog up.....