PDA

View Full Version : cans of dehydrated food...

lobshot
02-28-2006, 17:42
Can you buy the big #10 cans and open them and pour the contents into baggies? Will that work? Seems like a little cheaper way than the individual pouches.
thanks
tom

sarbar
02-28-2006, 20:17
Sure, that would work fine. Better if you use a food vac for it though :) If you won't use the bags for awhile, best to freeze.

Marta
02-28-2006, 20:26
The instructions (MH) tell you to use the food within five days after opening the can. I've had okay results waiting quite a while longer than that, as long as the food was well sealed in plastic bags. (Quart freezer ZipLocks is what I use. I had an unpleasant failure with a sandwich bag.) I don't think I would riska lot of food for several months without doing what sarbar suggests, though.

River Runner
02-28-2006, 23:48
I've stored Mountain House freeze dried food in zip-lock bags after I opened a pouch for several months. (I often only eat half of a 2-person meal.) They were fine. I usually stick the oxygen absorber in with the food and remove it just before a trip.

You might want to check the economics though - I priced the cans versus some varieties and found it was only a few cents a serving cheaper. Not enough savings to make it worth the hassle for me.