PDA

View Full Version : Packs and Airplanes?

mcnuggets
02-28-2006, 19:02
I'm taking my flight down to Georgia next week and have never flown before. What's going to happen to my pack once I get there? It's a small 3200 cu. inch Mountainsmith that's <32lbs. Can I get away with carry on? Will it have to be stowed underneath? Do they slap a sticker on it and put it on that circular conveyer belt? I am stopping over at Charolette, NC. Do I have to get it out and put it on the new flight or is it done automatically? Thanks for the help guys.

RockyTrail
02-28-2006, 19:16
If you can find a big nylon laundry bag to put it in, it might keep the straps from snagging on the conveyors. I've used those successfully before, with a drawstring so they can get in/out if necessary. And some just take their chances with no cover at all.

Some people wrap pack in plastic, but don't expect any TSA people to re-wrap it if they have to go inside.
You will probably not be allowed carry it on with things like tent stakes and certainly not stoves.

fishinfred
02-28-2006, 20:37
I flew last year and I put my pack in a box and it worked out ok just a pain lugging a big box thru the airport.A Duffle (cheap throw away one) would maybe be easier. Good Luck! Happy Trails!
Fishinfred

BW2006
02-28-2006, 23:09
You could even get a cheap duffle bag and send it home. I have a few that are very large and pack down to a large mailing envelope size.

You can even take the duffle in the envelope to the post office before you go and get the postage put on the envelope then when you get to Georgia all you do is slide it in and drop it in the mail back home.

Easy as pie!

Kerosene
02-28-2006, 23:23
I've successfully used a duffel bag for my section hikes when I'm flying to the Trail. The real problem is what to use for the return flight. I've been lucky and been able to leave my duffel with my shuttler.

stag3
02-28-2006, 23:37
Get a Fed Ex or DHL big bag. These are about 20 or so gallons and are big enough to hold your pack. FedEx is red and yellow, DHL is grey. When you arrive, use the bag for trash, bagging stuff to hang at night, seat pad..... you get the idea. I always unhook all straps from the pack just in case it gets hung in the airport conveyor.

prozac
03-01-2006, 00:01
If you are changing planes in Charlotte you are taking a small chance your bag won't make the connecting flight. Pain in the ass with a normal flight but a nightmare if your going hiking and your pack doesn't show up. It might get lost in the system for days and then you will have to leave a contact phone # and address for delivery if they will even deliver it. I would suggest shipping it ahead of time to your shuttler or some place like the Hiker Hostel. If you do decide to fly with it put most of your gear in a duffle and lock the zippers together with a TSA approved lock. Will keep the baggage handlers from rifling thru it but security can still check it. Put all your essentials/valuables such as medicine, wallet, camera etc. in a day pack and wear it on the flight just in case. Once in Atlanta just mail both bags plus street clothes back home.

dixicritter
03-01-2006, 01:23
Be advised, the airlines are no longer allowing lighters, "stove fuel" (be it camp fuel or denatured alcohol), and other flamable type things on flights even in checked baggage.

Here's a link from the American Airlines website outlining what can't be taken on an airplane... http://www.aa.com/content/travelInformation/baggage/restrictedArticles.jhtml;jsessionid=AQNCF2NX0BEZBE AJJNDU1EMQBFFS4VMD?anchorEvent=false

c.coyle
03-01-2006, 07:39
I'm taking my flight down to Georgia next week and have never flown before. What's going to happen to my pack once I get there? It's a small 3200 cu. inch Mountainsmith that's <32lbs. Can I get away with carry on? Will it have to be stowed underneath? Do they slap a sticker on it and put it on that circular conveyer belt? I am stopping over at Charolette, NC. Do I have to get it out and put it on the new flight or is it done automatically? Thanks for the help guys.

You can carry it on if its dimensions don't exceed L + W + H = 45 inches. You can put it in the overhead compartment or under your seat. Most airlines also allow you to carry on a "personal item", like a laptop case, bike messenger bag, small briefcase.

If your pack is bigger than above, you'll have to check it. Checked baggage is automatically transferred if you're transferring planes.

Try to avoid checking luggage if you can. It's quicker and more secure to carry on, and you don't have to worry about the airline losing your stuff.

Moxie00
03-01-2006, 09:44
My wife and I fly alot with packs. We have done much of the U.S. including Alaska and even a trip to Europe. Up to 10 years ago they did not have a size restriction on checked luggage so we purchased a huge duffel and put both packs in it along with any other gear we might leave in a rental car where we were hiking. Now we have purchased duffels just slightly larger than our packs. If we plan an extended hike we ship the empty duffels to our destination or if we are hiking locally we leave them at the hostel or park headquarters where we are hiking. The reason for slightly larger is because on a trip we often purchase things, food, t-shirts, flags, etc. we want to carry home with us. The advice on loose straps is excellent. An alternative is to put your pack in a trash or grain bag and simply recycle it at the Georgia airport. Do not check a backpack without somehow wrapping it. Straps can get hung up and my cousin had a pack ripped on a conveyor belt in Italy when her straps hung up. Dixicritter has excellent advice about fuel and lighters, if necessary send ahead or purchase enroute to the trail. On our last trip I forgot to purchase fuel on the way to the trail and paid dearly for it at an outfitter near the trailhead. On your hike you will find it a great savings to purchase fuel in trail towns rather than at hostels by the ounce. For example, I used denatured alcohol and for what I could purchase 4 ounces for at Uncle Johney's I could buy a quart in Erwin and share it with my fellow hikers. A gallon of Coleman fuel is about $4 at a department store and about $40 a gallon when purchase by the ounce at outfitters. One of the trail tricks I learned was group purchase and share.

Icicle
03-01-2006, 11:25
Last February we flew from London to the USA - the airline bound our backpack straps for us. Got them back none the worse for wear. I think airlines (even international ones) are used to different kinds of luggage. Domestic flights might be different though, now that I think about it, an international jumbo has more cargo space.

Call the airline - they might be able to help.