PDA

View Full Version : Pack/Valuables security....

tlbj6142
02-13-2003, 18:09
I'm not expecting problems, but I want to be prepared...

I'm a little concerned about how to secure my pack and valuables while in town. Ex. while grocery shopping, restaurants, etc.

Do stores typically let you wear your pack?

To those of you with "ultra light bags" that don't have removable lids, how do you plan to carry money, cc, etc. when in town? Most of the shorts I plan to take don't even have pockets.

I've also read that I need to be concerned (maybe more so) about theft in camp/shelters. How do folks deal this in those locations?

I don't mean to sound paranoid, but I don't want to be surprised either.

Footslogger
02-13-2003, 19:19
tlbj ...It's natural to be concerned but I think you'll find that those concerns are unwarranted along the trail. I'm sure it has happened somewhere, sometime, but I have personally never had personal knowledge of a hikers gear being messed with when they were shopping or doing laundry. Having said that, I wouldn't go off and leave your wallet, camera or other valuables behind. I also wouldn't leave my gear/clothing all spread out on my bunk in a hostel either.
What I do is carry a small nylon stuff sack that I can stick my plastic wallet and cameral in when I have to head off to the store or the laundramat.

RagingHampster
02-13-2003, 23:21
If they won't let you carry your pack, leave it at the customer service desk, or behind the register in smaller stores. At restaurants sit near the door, or sit near a window and place it just outside the window. Always keep your wallet on you, in a zippered pocket.

I'm actually more afriad of leaving my wallet somewhere after paying for something. I've done that twice before. So now I have a mental checklist I go over everytime I buy something (lol).

Redbeard
02-14-2003, 10:09
Get something lite and waterproof for your money, where it around your neck tucked into your shirt when you walk around. They sell plastic hikers wallets with a loop for a lanyard. I assume you can get one at Neels Gap 30 miles or so N of Springer, they are pretty common at outfitters.

Jumpstart
02-14-2003, 10:13
We had it easy, because there were always two of us, one to go in the store and the other to wait outside with the packs and stuff. Most of the time that we were in towns, there were always other hikers we knew around as well, and I would have felt just as comfortable asking one of them to keep an eye on stuff while I grocery shopped, etc... You do tend to become complacent after awhile, though, and forget that not everywhere is as "safe" as the trail. We had a pair of sunglasses stolen out of my husband's pack on the top of Mt. Greylock, in MA but I chalk that up to experience and being in a really public place on the weekend..our own fault for leaving everytning out in plain view. As for town and stuff, we both had thos elittle zip-loc wallets you can buy from REI and carried all our stuff in those, sometimes if we had lots ot carry, a stuff sack tied over our shoulders made a good little "backpack." I wouldn't worry too much baout this, just be aware, is all :)

Peaks
02-16-2003, 22:06
In small towns, your pack is usually safe. I have left mine in front of stores that I went into. In other places, I put it in the entrance area if there was room.

Best advice is to use common sense and judgement. With all the people around Bear Mountain, I kept my pack real close to me.