PDA

View Full Version : Urbanized Bears Cause Problems

Newb
03-01-2006, 15:06
Bears!
In California, sure, but they could easily be right here in our neighborhood eating our garbage and pooping on our trail! Huh? They are? oh.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-bears1mar01,0,7687234.story?coll=la-home-headlines

The Cheat
03-01-2006, 17:08
Whew! Thought that said UNIONIZED Bears for a second.

Dances with Mice
03-01-2006, 19:22
So California is starting to earn the bear on its state flag.
http://www.snopes.com/lost/bearflag.asp

Pacific Tortuga
03-01-2006, 20:03
No Grizzley bears like on our (CA.) state flag exist,but I'm sure you knew that. The last Grizz was killed in 1921 in the Santa Ana mountians of Orange County. Bears have always been a drawing card at rural area dumps and with population growth something has to give,I can't believe bears are not out of control with so many sloppy campers on the AT and other trails. To protect the bruins and people bear canisters seem, a reality? in the future even on the AT. I hope not in Yosemite they are a pain in the...back.

Dances with Mice
03-01-2006, 21:45
The problem may not be too many bears; rather too few hunters.

SGTdirtman
03-03-2006, 03:05
Is the bear population actually "rising" or are the bears "adapting" and therefore numbers recovering? I mean it seems they are calling the bear population a problem soley because they have been able to find ways to live around the humans who took their habitat...

I mean I see more squirrels in backyards than I do in the woods... doesnt really mean the squirrel population is rising, just means the squirrels adapted to living with humans, We pushed bears out of god knows how much habitat and hunted the crap out of them... Now there is alot more hunting regulations then there was and bears seem to be adapting to live with humans...

I'm not an enviromentalist or a nature freak, But there always seems to 2 different numbers when it comes to an animal population. How many "would" exist, and how many we "want" to exist. We steal habitat and they become a problem so all of a sudden there are to many of them and we have to limit how many are left and keep them in the land we give them. sucks for the bears but were never gonna stop destroying habitat, which means we will continue to have to limit the number of bears. Afterall bears are not squirrels... Having 3-4 squirrels chewing on your bird feeder in the morning is friendly site to see. 3-4 big bears chewing on your trash can in the morning can get a bit scary.

xXIndyXx
03-03-2006, 03:57
Whew! Thought that said UNIONIZED Bears for a second.

I can see the headline

!Bear Strike!
Bears chomping for better dental

longshank
03-03-2006, 11:30
I'm rooting for the bears, myself...

KirkMcquest
03-03-2006, 11:34
I'm rooting for the bears, myself...

More bears, less people, I say

Tin Man
03-03-2006, 14:04
More bears, less people, I say

More bears, less ignorance might work better. :-?

hauptman
03-03-2006, 14:11

I fail to see the difference!!! LOL!!!!! :cool:

hauptman
03-03-2006, 14:13

- You can take the city out of the bear, but you can not take the ignorance out of the man!!! LOL!!! ;)

Tin Man
03-03-2006, 22:22
- You can take the city out of the bear, but you can not take the ignorance out of the man!!! LOL!!! ;)

You can take the bear out of the woods, but you cannot take the ignorant man out of anywhere. ;)

saimyoji
03-03-2006, 22:51
Wildlife the world over is doomed. Mankind on the whole has no sense of our encroachment into the non-human habitats. The only way to ensure that wild species survive is to put a cap on urban sprawl, regulate the reproductive rate and death rate, and legalize the euthanasia of non-essential members of our global society.

There is not an ounce of sarcasm in this post.

Wolfpaw
03-03-2006, 23:26
Wildlife the world over is doomed. Mankind on the whole has no sense of our encroachment into the non-human habitats. The only way to ensure that wild species survive is to put a cap on urban sprawl, regulate the reproductive rate and death rate, and legalize the euthanasia of non-essential members of our global society.

There is not an ounce of sarcasm in this post.'Logans Run' was such a great movielets live it. We should all die by the time were thirty.

Ridge
03-03-2006, 23:56

There is not an ounce of sarcasm in this post.

The movie "Soylent Green" comes to mind, along with "Logan's Run". Also, check out Star Trek - The Next Generation, Episode 96: Half A Life, about the suicide ritual required at age 60 for a particular race of people.

Fiddleback
03-04-2006, 21:31
Hash penalties get results. If urbanized wildlife is considered a problem, penalize those that contibute to the problem. Ya' leave your garbage out to be explored by bears, ya' pay a fine that really hurts.

In my part of western Monana, we have a 'regulation' that prohibits garbage being set out more than 12 hours prior to pick up. It seems like an enlightened requirement that should reduce problems but...

I've never seen it enforced. In fact, for several years running (not this year) Browning Ferris ran an ad in the newspaper telling everyone that they would make pick up on Thanksgiving and to set their garbage out 'the night before...'

(sigh)

FB

Almost There
03-04-2006, 23:44
Hey what's wrong with us coming down from the mountains to enjoy a nice porterhouse and beer, if that Labatt's bear can do it why not us, besides don't you remember the old Hamm's bear. Lots of bears like beer, and in California we can only get the good microbrews in town...or I guess from stupid kids who come into shelters to party!!!

Vi+
03-05-2006, 18:12
Fiddleback,

Post #17: "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment ... Article II, Section 3, The Constitution of the State of Montana”

Isn’t the pulp and paper stench of Missoula a continuing violation of the constitution?

Newb
03-06-2006, 10:19
Hey what's wrong with us coming down from the mountains to enjoy a nice porterhouse and beer, if that Labatt's bear can do it why not us, besides don't you remember the old Hamm's bear. Lots of bears like beer, and in California we can only get the good microbrews in town...or I guess from stupid kids who come into shelters to party!!!

I seem to remember a bear a couple of years ago who stole a coolier at drank 2 cases of Rainier Beer. It was a funny story because the bear also stole some Busch beer, but declined to drink it in favor of the Ranier beer.