PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on bivy shelters.

SGTdirtman
03-01-2006, 15:31
I need to get a new bivy shelter, money is a concern and I found 3 possibilities... Anyone got any opinions on these? or any other similar options that arent to expensive.

So far its between the following

The "Guide Gear Solo Bivy Tent"
$30 bucks
2 pounds 8 ounces
7x18" pack size
7'6" x 3 foot size
Comes in OD green and camo which I like, I hate bright tents.
Only requires 2 stakes to stand which I like.

The "EUREKA solo bivy tent"
$50-60 bucks
2 pounds 9 ounces
4x17" pack size
8 x 2'8" size
Bright freaking yellow but seems a bit better made than the others.
requires 4 stakes to stand.

The "Slumberjack Bivy Shelter"
$70-80 bucks
2 pounds 1 ounce
20 x 6" pack size
7'6" x 3'2" size
Comes in OD green and only requires to stakes to stand like the Guide gear bivy.

opinions or suggestions?

SGTdirtman
03-01-2006, 15:36
BTW I've also looked that the Eureka Spitfire but dont know really like the rainfly.... its also a lil more expensive and heavier

Same with the Kelty Creston 1 tent, more expensive I dont like the rainfly having to be a complete seperate part of the tent and it weighs almost a pound more than my top 3 options

sparky2000
03-01-2006, 15:59
The weights seem to be Huge. Have you considered the tarp as a bivy?

TN_Hiker
03-01-2006, 16:46
I have the Guide Gear bivy....long story short I had a $25 certificate from a prior order they screwed up and figured what the heck. I've used it 4 or 5 times, but only once in bad weather -- a extremely heavy downpour. It held up fine and I was dry as a bone (I did seam seal). I was pleasantly surprised. The shock-corded poles are fiberglass. It does have a seperate fly w/ the inner wall being nearly all mesh so it breathes well. The fly creates a mini vestibule on the feet end. The fly does require 2 extra stakes for each side. Two things I don't like personally:
1) The fly has no zipper or easy access. So you have to un-do the elastic guideline on one side to gain access. Once your in the bivy, you can easily slip the shockcord guideline back over the stake.
2) I feel like I sleeping in a coffin, but after all it is a bivy. That 3' wide is probably the covered area of the fly. Inside the bivy I have 3-4 inches on each side of my pad at my shoulders.

for $30 bucks it was much better than I thought it would be. PM if you want further info.

Sly
03-01-2006, 16:53
Just wondering why would anyone use a bivy when they could use a lighter tarp with better protection for them and their gear?

kyhipo
03-01-2006, 17:05
I have used a bivy shelter for 4rys I like them what folks are not considering here is the bug factor or snakes ect,I like the bivy tents :cool: ky

the goat
03-01-2006, 18:21
here's mine:

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product.aspx?top=4&prod=107&cat=40&viewAll=False

Weldman
03-03-2006, 13:36
Hey Sgt

Important intel, now listen up

For $35 plus shipping, you could have 10 yds of Silnylon 65"wide 1.4 -1.5 oz a yd ( seconds ) enough to make a 7-8 ft bivy and a 2 person tarp tent. If you know how to sew or someone who does - you could make a Six moon designs Nightwing

http://sixmoondesigns.com/ultralight/myo_NightWing.asp

Here's where to get your silnylon- http://www.noahlamport.com/

That less than 1.5 Lb for a bivy and 2-2.5 lb for a tarp tent

Mike