PDA

View Full Version : Lone star tic......

JNI64
05-17-2019, 20:59
The lone star tic, is alive and prevalent!! I live in north wv. And I guy I work with sent me a picture of a tic attached to him looking very much like the lone star tic I told him to get to urgent care..... sure enough lone star tic.... thanks for your knowledge no problem starting antibiotics....

skater
05-17-2019, 21:13
I had a Lone Star tic once upon a time, but I think it was fromdricingI-635 during rush hour.:-)

JNI64
05-17-2019, 21:27
He picked it up from his yard he thinks been no where else... I just want every body to be aware the lone star tic is alive and ready to attack in this area of north wv.

soilman
05-17-2019, 22:04
My wife picked a dead one off one of the dogs a week or two ago. We are in southern Ohio.

JNI64
05-18-2019, 03:50
I'm sorry we're in northern Virginia, Harper's ferry area it's been a long week whew... we carpool and he dropped me off yesterday before I got home he's sending me a picture of a tic attached to him asking me what it is as soon as seen that little dot on it's back I told him to get to urgent care. The lady at urgent care didn't know what it was never heard of it.. but anyway I felt compelled to inform everybody permihtem up!!!

steady123
05-18-2019, 17:29
I'm in Georgia. They are everywhere. permitherin inside and outside your clothes. Better yet soak 'em.

MuddyWaters
05-19-2019, 08:10
Lone star tick doesnt transmit lyme.

It could transmit the alpha-gal meat allergy, but theres no prophylaxis for that

JNI64
05-19-2019, 08:37
Correct but that would suck to be allergic to red meat, I'm cooking hamburgers right now for breakfast. 👍

MuddyWaters
05-19-2019, 09:46
Correct but that would suck to be allergic to red meat, I'm cooking hamburgers right now for breakfast. 

It would suck to be allergic to this ..

Apparently, people can recover from the alpha gal allergy, so doesnt have to be permanent.

JNI64
05-19-2019, 10:40
Wow, nice break out the vacuum sealer, unless you're really hungry! I'm totally out of pork and down to 1 chuck roast and 5lbs. Burger presently going to the butcher probably next week and put my order in 1/2 beef and 1/2 hog.

Tipi Walter
05-19-2019, 11:00
When I lived in Texas back in the 1960s I developed a noticeable facial Tic---a twitching of the face muscles. Me and Skater know what we're talking about.

But if you're talking about TICKS, well, that's a different subject.

JNI64
05-19-2019, 11:17
Yeah my bad , that's subject at hand. And I didn't know that that it could be cured ,that's good to know a bite from a lone star TICK!! Lol.

martinb
05-20-2019, 10:16
I've been bitten by one and developed the Alpha G.A.L. allergy to meat and pork. It sent me to the ER with a severe allergy reaction before it was diagnosed. In the years since, I have been able to tolerate small amounts of meat/pork so it does improve with time, for me at least.

C4web88
05-20-2019, 12:45
That sounds awful......damn. Is transmission fast or does it average 2-3 days like lyme?

KimShea
05-20-2019, 12:57
Good lord. I'm getting ready to spray the permitherin and was debating doing sports bras & undies or if just pants shirts and socks were good enough. I'm doing everything. I hate all ticks with a passion.

Kaptainkriz
05-20-2019, 13:11
Yep, I’ve had the Alpha-Gal allergy for over 3 years now. I’m on a strict mammal free diet and mostly able to control/avoid the reaction. In rare cases people have outgrown the allergy. That being said, it is relatively rare.

grubbster
05-20-2019, 14:20
Good lord. I'm getting ready to spray the permitherin and was debating doing sports bras & undies or if just pants shirts and socks were good enough. I'm doing everything. I hate all ticks with a passion.
I have heard it recommended to not treat underwear. Only use on outerwear.

martinb
05-20-2019, 14:21
That sounds awful......damn. Is transmission fast or does it average 2-3 days like lyme?

I noticed within two weeks after getting bit. I ate a burger and started itching about 4-5 hour after. I had been doing some yard work earlier in the day and thought I might have rubbed up against an oleander I had in the yard. A week later I grilled up an awesome organic burger for dinner and woke up very early the next morning with my face/neck swelled up and covered in hives. I knew what was happening and drove to the ER. My family doc ordered a allergy panel and meat/pork were at the top of the bad list.

martinb
05-20-2019, 14:36
I was wearing shorts when I was bitten. My shoes, socks, shirt, and shorts were treated. My legs were not. I do not wear shorts when hiking in the summer anymore. I tuck my pant legs into my socks when hiking in tick season. Yes, it's a little warmer but I haven't been bitten by another tick.

C4web88
05-20-2019, 14:40
I noticed within two weeks after getting bit. I ate a burger and started itching about 4-5 hour after. I had been doing some yard work earlier in the day and thought I might have rubbed up against an oleander I had in the yard. A week later I grilled up an awesome organic burger for dinner and woke up very early the next morning with my face/neck swelled up and covered in hives. I knew what was happening and drove to the ER. My family doc ordered a allergy panel and meat/pork were at the top of the bad list.

Jeez man.....I didnt know this was down in FL too.....that's a bummer...sorry to hear...

KimShea
05-20-2019, 16:50
Yeah I wasn't really sure about that either. I've never done it before, but I'm extra freaked out this year for some reason. I won't, but I feel like I should just take a bath in it.

TexasBob
05-21-2019, 10:32

About 20 years ago my Mom suddenly became allergic to beef and pork at age 70. The only meat she could eat was chicken (which she disliked all her life) and fish. My folks lived in a rural wooded area in Arkansas where ticks were prevalent and she spent a lot of time outdoors. The doctors couldn't explain why she became allergic but after about 5 years the allergies gradually disappeared. I wonder if she was a victim of Alpha G.A.L.

Old Hillwalker
05-21-2019, 10:46
The Vegans have weaponized Ticks.....wow!

Deadeye
05-21-2019, 15:56
Yeah I wasn't really sure about that either. I've never done it before, but I'm extra freaked out this year for some reason. I won't, but I feel like I should just take a bath in it.

I think you can be comfortable just following the Sawyer directions. I've been using it for a couple years now, and the ticks just fall right off - they don't like it at all. I've even picked a tick off a friend and put it on my pant leg - it rolled up on its back. It does suck wearing long pants, but I have friends and family with Lyme, which sucks a lot worse. I put it on shoes (if fabric), socks, pants and shirts, on the parts of the pack where it doesn't bead up and roll off, and on my hammock and tree straps.

gravityman
05-21-2019, 19:01
I too have the Alpha GAL allergy. Was bitten by a lone star tick in 1999 and went on antibiotics right away for 10 days. Started getting seemingly random allergic reactions 6 monthsish later. Took me until 2010ish to figure out it was hamburgers and sweetbreads. Didn't figure it out fully until the Radio Lab episode. Thankfully 2 benadryls always get it calm down.

Fatty meat is the worst, usually steak is okay. I can sneak in Buffalo or Lamp without a reaction usually.

You have no idea how badly I would love a big juicy burger!

Hiking in 2005 I would get the reaction every town stop until I gave up hamburgers!

Kaptainkriz
05-21-2019, 23:00
Note - allergy to beef/pork is different from Alpha-Gal allergy (different IgE). There is a special blood test just for Alpha-Gal and it's often combined with the meat panel. Did you get your count levels for Beef, Pork, Mutton, and Alpha-Gal - there should be 4 numbers on the panel.

martinb
05-22-2019, 08:24
Note - allergy to beef/pork is different from Alpha-Gal allergy (different IgE). There is a special blood test just for Alpha-Gal and it's often combined with the meat panel. Did you get your count levels for Beef, Pork, Mutton, and Alpha-Gal - there should be 4 numbers on the panel.
The test I took included numbers for all meat products and some other common allergens.

martinb
05-22-2019, 08:32
About 20 years ago my Mom suddenly became allergic to beef and pork at age 70. The only meat she could eat was chicken (which she disliked all her life) and fish. My folks lived in a rural wooded area in Arkansas where ticks were prevalent and she spent a lot of time outdoors. The doctors couldn't explain why she became allergic but after about 5 years the allergies gradually disappeared. I wonder if she was a victim of Alpha G.A.L.

Most likely. Alpha GAL was first noted in the late 1980s but wasn't pursued for some reason. Probably because there weren't enough cases, at the time.

iceaxe56
05-22-2019, 19:07
Love the white blaze comedians;you should go on tour.

JNI64
05-22-2019, 20:34
I can see it now the white blazes tour 2020 live action!! But seriously wasn't that the case with lyme as well? I recall hearing something there use to be a vaccine for it but wasn't enough cases like you said and they just did away with it ,I guess hoping it would go away .

clusterone
05-23-2019, 18:11
Picked a many ticks off myself this last weekend at Citico. One of them was a lone star. Trail foliage is extra dense this year.

JNI64
07-23-2020, 00:10
I just thought it appropriate to revisit this old thread seeing how we are in TICK season again, with the warm winters we're getting i don't know if we were ever out of tick season. I personally think this is one of the biggest concerns we deal with being out in the woods. I started this thread because alot folks aren't aware of the lone star tick. (Please excuse my spelling and some confusing first posts i obviously was having a rough day. Anybody that is going out and has not seen this thread please do yourself a huge favor and read every post and do your own research, ya know an "ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure).