PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use WM Cloud 9 Comforter with a hammock?

JoeHiker
03-01-2006, 15:32
I was looking at the Cloud 9 comforter from Western Mountaineering. The "Twin" size is only 1 pound 4 ounces. Has anyone here tried this with a hammock? Is it a good choice? Is it very warm?

Hana_Hanger
03-04-2006, 08:08
Hi,
No sorry I have not tried one of these...but usually anything WM makes is great.
What is the rating on it?
If you have a large pad with your comforter you should be fine:)

JoeHiker
03-06-2006, 16:13
That's the odd thing - no rating on the website:http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Cloud%209%20ComforterI guess maybe it's made for indoors. Not sure.

Seeker
03-06-2006, 23:33
yeah... it's a bed comforter... hence the name...

i'm guessing, based on size, weight, and fill ounces, that it's probably good to about 45*... i've got a caribou... it's about 70" long, and i think the shoulders are about 63" around... it's got 10oz of fill, i think, and is rated to 35*. this comforter is a little bigger but the fill weight as i recall was also 10oz. both the caribou and this comforter weigh 20 oz total... i'd just get the bag and use it unzipped in the summer, zipped in the fall/spring, like i do... i've been down to about 35*-38* in it, in a hammock with the JRB underquilt and a foam pad, and it's about right... and i'm a cold sleeper too. WM has a reputation for conservative bag ratings.

JoeHiker
03-07-2006, 13:07
Oh of course, duh! Since WM usually makes outdoor stuff, I figured that "comforter" was just how they were referring to an outdoor quilt.

Well I don't think it would buy this if it's made for indoors. It probably has no water-repellent fabric on the outside. That's a deal breaker for me

Seeker
03-07-2006, 20:50
hmm... never thought about the water repellant issue... i bought a comforter from LL Bean about 15 years ago, and i'm pretty sure it wouldn't repel anything...

have you checked out Nunatac (or however it's spelled!) quilts? JRB makes a good one too.... i've got their underquilt, and it's awesome... good quality down, good fabric, and i just noticed the other day that they backed their stitches up on themselves, like WM does... keeps 'em from coming loose.

can't think of any other down quilt makers off hand... one thing i like about my caribou is that i CAN get inside it in the winter, which keeps the edges from coming up off me... in the spring/summer/fall, i can just drape it.

Just Jeff
03-07-2006, 21:22
Speer makes a smaller down quilt. www.speerhammocks.com

skylark
03-08-2006, 11:50
I would not want any water repellent fabric on a quilt, let it breathe!

uncas
03-08-2006, 12:57
Hello,

I went to the WM website. Based on the sizes being in twin, queen or king I do not think that it is desgned for outdoor use. Also, the box contruction means cold points as opposed to baffle or slant baffle.

I love the idea of a down quilt. When you lie on a down bag you smusch (?) the insulation with your body weight anyway. The ground-side insulation really comes from your pad. www.thru-hiker.com (http://www.thru-hiker.com) sells a kit for a 800fill quilt for making your own. I tired but could not get my borrowed sewing machine to sew the really thin ripstop nylon.

Thanks,

Just Jeff
03-08-2006, 14:52
Did you try adjusting the tension and using the smallest needle possible? It also helps if you pull on the fabric from both sides of the machine to keep the fabric tensioned as you feed it through.

Seeker
03-08-2006, 14:57
water repellent can still breathe... that's why down can absorb body moisture.

box sewn is fine, if you're over 35*.... below that, the cold spots hurt (i know... my caribou is box sewn and good to about 35*). but if you lay a knee against the side of the bag vs laying out perfectly straight, it compresses the insulation enough to get a cold spot.

try a thinner needle... thin fabric of any sort is a witch to work with though, especially if it's silnylon (slippery AND thin)... i suck at it... (found a seamstress, pay her well, and am much happier...)