PDA

View Full Version : ULA Circuit

MarcnNJ
03-01-2006, 19:07
My new ULA just arrived, and it looks gorgeous. Wish I had an oppurtunity to take it on a quick spin before I head out in 13 days. Id look too silly walking along the beach with it packed up in 30 degree weather.

astrogirl
03-01-2006, 21:31
My new ULA just arrived, and it looks gorgeous. Wish I had an oppurtunity to take it on a quick spin before I head out in 13 days. Id look too silly walking along the beach with it packed up in 30 degree weather.

And?

Maybe you have a damn good reason for being out on the beach with a backpack! Are there that many people out there in 30 degree weather anyway?

Seriously, what do you care what other people think?

Skidsteer
03-01-2006, 21:37
And?

Seriously, what do you care what other people think?

And all God's people said, "Amen"

By all means take it out for at least one test run. After all, what if it doesn't fit?

MarcnNJ
03-01-2006, 21:49
I think a pack is best tested when actually on a trail, hiking up and down mountains. Seeing how the weight distributes while just walking on a flat soft sandy beach just isnt comparible.

Ive loaded it up with all my gear im starting with, and 4 days of food...and even filled my 2L platypus....felt great....

This just made the last 12 days to go before my thruhike even slower!!

Hammock Hanger
03-01-2006, 23:21
I've been looking at this pack, just can't decide.

hawkeye
03-02-2006, 11:45
I got a P-2 last year and love it.

DrewNC2005
03-02-2006, 12:10
I have been eyeing this one as well. My question is about sizing. I heard on the older models that the hipbelt wasn't low enough for the listed torso sizes and most recommended sizing up one size. What do you think? and if you don't mind me asking, what are your "dimensions" and what size pack do you have? Lastly, how does it fit?

hawkeye
03-02-2006, 12:22
I went by ULA's web site and e-mailed them. With my 22 1/2 spine measurement and waist I ended up with a large pack and large waistbelt. Carried about 35lbs the 1st of my hike last year and it felt great. Just take the time to pack it right and adjust it. My pack came with really good instuctions on how to set it up. And ULA was great on e-mails.

ARambler
03-02-2006, 12:49
I got a P-2 last year and love it.

I believe the Curcuit is a replacement for the P-1, which is definately an ultra light pack. The new Catalyst and to some extent the old P-2, can be used by those who occasionally cheat and slightly exceed 35 lb on occasion. Last week, I compared the P-2 and Catalyst at Mountain Crossings. They were only filled with foam, but The Catalyst seem to have a slightly sturdier suspension.

I received my Catalyst this week. It seems huge, but comfort dropped off quickly around 40 lb. (In the kitchen to livingroom hike with minimal adjustments.)

The pack is loaded with features and I'm very optimistic that I can give it a good review in a few weeks.
Rambler

Lilred
03-04-2006, 11:55
I've been looking at this pack, just can't decide.

You'll love it. Get one and try it out. I have a P-2 that was fitted for me at Neel's Gap. I took it on a 200 mile section last summer and I couldn't believe how comfortable it is. Getting one is risk free since Brian will accept a return no matter what. I highly recommend this pack.

A-Train
03-04-2006, 12:11
I just ordered the Catalyst for my PCT hike. Normally I woulda swayed to the lighter pack, but with the large amounts of water, resupply, ice axe and maybe bear canister, I figured I'd be teetering over 35 lbs sometimes. Might be too big if I go back to the AT, but oh well. I'm kinda over this whole ultra light phase. It's all about comfort, baby

DrewNC2005
03-20-2006, 15:23
How's the circuit treatin ya?

Jeff
03-20-2006, 20:30
Recently purchased the CIRCUIT from ULA. Loaded it to 31 pounds and it felt good even after hiking 10 miles. I would also agree that it is extremely well made.

neo
03-20-2006, 21:23
the only ula gear i have is an h2o amigo gravity water filter,works nicely
:cool: neo

http://www.ula-equipment.com/amigo.htm

jasonklass
03-20-2006, 22:19
Thanks for the pics. Please post a review and let us know how the pack works out for you. I have the now "old" P-2 and LOVE it but it's too big for summer. I basically only use it in winter, on luxury trips where I carry a lot of unecessaries, or for desert hiking where I actually have to carry in all my water (luckily I don't do that type of hiking much). I've been looking at the Circut for a smaller option. I'd really appreciate any feedback you can give after your trip. Thanks and have a great trip!

joel137
03-21-2006, 02:03
I just got a catalyst a couple of weeks ago, I look forward to trying it out this summer

Rustle
05-04-2006, 20:50
Anyone have an updated report on the Circuit??

stickat04
05-04-2006, 21:34
Still waiting on my Circuit, should be here soon.

Buckles
05-04-2006, 21:40
I have a Catalyst I recently acquired. Had it out recently on a two day trip. Some issues with the shoulder straps sliding to the outside and off of the shoulder pads. Noticed it when I thought, "What the heck is that cutting into my collarbone?" To be fair, it could have been a user error. I'm taking it out for a five day trip next week. If it happens again, Brian at ULA said he would be happy to stitch down the straps to the pads in multiple spots. Anyone had this issue?

DrewNC2005
05-04-2006, 23:11
I have a Catalyst I recently acquired. Had it out recently on a two day trip. Some issues with the shoulder straps sliding to the outside and off of the shoulder pads. Noticed it when I thought, "What the heck is that cutting into my collarbone?" To be fair, it could have been a user error. I'm taking it out for a five day trip next week. If it happens again, Brian at ULA said he would be happy to stitch down the straps to the pads in multiple spots. Anyone had this issue?

I had the same problem. I brought my shoulder straps in a little tighter/narrower and it pretty much alleviated the problem. I will say that I think I had the load lifters pulled too tight and that also played a role in the straps wanting to slide off. Other than that minor issue, I loved it - very comfortable.

By the way, do you have to pay shipping to send your pack out there and have it shipped back? If he will stitch them down, I may send it back to him if the problem persists.