PDA

View Full Version : '03 ALDHA Companion now on-line

TJ aka Teej
02-13-2003, 23:13
The 2003 ALDHA Companion is now available for downloading/viewing at www.aldha.org

DebW
02-14-2003, 09:35
I only see the 2002 edition there.

Redbeard
02-14-2003, 09:53
Same here.

Ann
02-14-2003, 10:00
Here you will find links to the files that make up the 2003 edition of the “Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers’ Companion.” Once downloaded, these files can be viewed using Acrobat Reader.

Direct quote from the ALDHA site.

Redbeard
02-14-2003, 10:15
Ahhhhh!:-?

TJ aka Teej
02-14-2003, 10:17
Originally posted by DebW
I only see the 2002 edition there.

The graphic is still of the '02 Companion.
The '03 will have a photo of Mt. Washington at sunrise.
Try this:
http://www.aldha.org/companyn.htm

Tenderfoot
02-15-2003, 09:12
I had trouble finding it (need to click on the blaze to enter the sub-pages), but here is a direct link

http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

TJ aka Teej
02-21-2003, 13:06
John O, co-editor of the ALDHA Companion passes the word this morning that book has arrived and back orders are being shipped today.

Redbeard
02-21-2003, 13:10
Booyah!:banana

Papa Bear
02-21-2003, 15:44
The Glossary of Trail Terms (in the Appendix) is new this year, no? Cool section.

Pb

Moose2001
02-21-2003, 16:01
Printed out the web version. Noticed at least one mistake. They have Charlies Bunion listed between Davenport Gap Shelter and Davenport Gap.

kdpo
02-22-2003, 20:38
Can anyone tell me how to print the Companion so that 2 pages appear on one sheet of paper. The size 4x9 will fit nicely printed side-by-side on landscape. I can't figure out how (if) it can be done.
Thanks
Ken

PushingDaisies
02-22-2003, 20:50
Originally posted by Moose2001
Printed out the web version. Noticed at least one mistake. They have Charlies Bunion listed between Davenport Gap Shelter and Davenport Gap.

I noticed a few things with the shelter mileage when compared to Data book. There are several mistakes in the GA shelter list; mostly it seems as if they had problems with easy addition and subtraction.

I think the best thing is just to send in corrections when you notice it. It could also be that this this was the rough copy before it was edited for publication.

Happy
02-22-2003, 23:35
Are you sure you stayed in the new shelters versus the old ones? I have hiked the sections and found them to be accurate maybe with the exception of the Tray Mountain shelter. :confused:

smokymtnsteve
02-22-2003, 23:55
Just gave the Ga section a quick glance looked pretty close to me.

PushingDaisies
02-23-2003, 01:48
I guess I was very clear. Sorry, I tend to do that. :)

I meant that the web version (2003) has some errors in math. Most likely typos before being edited. Not a big deal, really.

Steve-Yes they are close. But it might be confusing cause the numbers don't match up (again, the numbers are very close)between the Data Book and the web version of the Companion.

veteran
02-23-2003, 11:50
If you know of someone who has a laser
printer with the Duplex feature, you can
print on both sides of the paper.

Moose2001
02-28-2003, 16:38
Was thumbing through the new companion last night. Noticed they don't list Uncle Johnnies in Erwin. Interesting (not a big loss IMHO). Anyone know the reason or did Miss Janet put him out of business?

Lone Wolf
02-28-2003, 16:41
It's not in Wingfoot's either. It's still open and owned by Johnny but someone else is running/managing it. A past thru-hiker I hear.

Jack Tarlin
02-28-2003, 18:09
Cannot comment on the Companion as I'm still waiting to receive mine, but Uncle Johnny's IS listed in the 2003 Thru-Hiker's Handbook (page 104), along with other lodging options in Erwin.

If, in fact, he is not listed in the Companion, this is because of continued complaints about the place directed to both ALDHA and the ATC, who jointly publish the Companion. Any questions about this should be directed to those organizations, but I'm sure what they'll tell you is this: While they make it very clear that inclusion in the Companion is NOT meant to constitute a recommendation or an endorsement of a particular place, they also realize that to some folks, appearance in an established work like the Companion in some ways is, in fact, tantamount to an endorsement: By using the Companion and similar works, people decide where they are likely to visit, where they are likely to send mail and parcels, and where they are likely to lodge. If a business is, in fact, dropped from, or not listed in the Companion or Handbook, it's becuse the authors/publishers don't want to be in the business of seemingly providing an endorsement to a place that some folks have had problems with. This doesn't happen very often, and it's unfortunate when it does. On the other hand, the Companion editors and publishers are primarily interested in helping people plan the best possible trip and they want to be 100% confident that in providing prospective hikers with information and options, they reserve the right to remove or omit places that have been a problem in the past.

But like I said, these matters are decided by ALDHA and the ATC; anyone with questions or problems about this sort of thing should direct their questions there.

Papa Bear
02-28-2003, 19:18
I just received the hard copy Companion and the section on Erwin seems identical to the On-line version.

On-line Companion Georgia / Tennesee section (http://www.aldha.org/companyn/ga-tn03.pdf)

Go to page 35 for Erwin. The local map is on page 36 and more text on page 37.

No Uncle Johnny's.

Pb