PDA

View Full Version : Please bash my gear list...please

Dhorochokaro
03-01-2006, 22:41
First let me say hello to everyone at whiteblaze.net. In the past two weeks I have read every article and post the site has to offer, I am constantly learning. More importantly, I am excited by the genuine community you have here. In that light, I would like to share with you my current gear list. I have plans to thru-hike a year from now! My gear list is rather involved, but very organized. I know it seems like a bunch of work to upload the list (assuming I managed that correctly) and give it a look, but I am counting on those who can speak from experience. I also agree with many of the comments suggesting that by Neel's Gap I will know what I need and that of which I do not, but discussing gear is sooo exciting. Thanks for your time and your patience!

David

stag3
03-02-2006, 00:16
10 oz for the sleeping bag stuff sack and 5 oz for the liner. Forget the liner, get a regular silnylon stuff sack and a zip lock and save14 oz.

Have a fun trip.

River Runner
03-02-2006, 02:08
You could definitely lighten up on some of the stuff sacks - as stag3 says, go with silnylon and seam seal. The rain jacket seems really heavy - there are much lighter options out there, especially considering the insulating jackets and extra clothing you are taking. The wind shirt shouldn't be necessary at all with your other clothing.

neo
03-02-2006, 09:54
First let me say hello to everyone at whiteblaze.net. In the past two weeks I have read every article and post the site has to offer, I am constantly learning. More importantly, I am excited by the genuine community you have here. In that light, I would like to share with you my current gear list. I have plans to thru-hike a year from now! My gear list is rather involved, but very organized. I know it seems like a bunch of work to upload the list (assuming I managed that correctly) and give it a look, but I am counting on those who can speak from experience. I also agree with many of the comments suggesting that by Neel's Gap I will know what I need and that of which I do not, but discussing gear is sooo exciting. Thanks for your time and your patience!

David

welcome to whiteblaze david,this is great site,lot of great people here,happy trails to ya :cool: neo

neo
03-02-2006, 09:57

David

looks good to me but,i prefer the hammock and sleep quilt,but each to thier own,happy hiking to ya:cool: neo

MacGyver2005
03-02-2006, 09:58
I don't know about your pack cover...you can probably get a sil-nylon pack cover that won't weigh much more and will be much more durable. Also, make sure that you will be comfortable on that tiny sleeping pad, especially in the cold with the light-weight sleeping bag you're using. Without any insulation under your legs you'll probably get pretty chilly. Did you actually weigh the Tyvek? That seems really light for a full Tyvek ground cloth. I personally like having a bag liner, but for a Thru-Hike I think a synthetic version, although slightly heavier, is a better choice as it is easier to care for. I will also echo the fact that the stuff sack should not weigh that much; find a lighter option. That top rain gear is way to heavy, especially since you have plenty of warm upper articles. Go with something lighter, there are plenty of options. that will definitely save you at least a pound. What about a first aid kit and a clean-up kit? How will you ever wipe your rear?!? I also think that chap stick and a Fox40 are a requirement, but I guess that is up to you. I would also want a journal and a camera, too. Overall, though, your list does look pretty decent. I hope this has helped.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

The Solemates
03-02-2006, 10:16
looks like you have it pretty nailed down to me. youve done your homework. but just remember that gear is about 1% of it all and doesnt really matter than much in the grand scheme of things.

Fiddler
03-02-2006, 11:03
Dump the Walmart grease pot. You will not like the way the top is rolled over, too hard to clean under. All kind of little nasties can breed there. Get a K-mart pot for a cheapie, real similar but the lip is rolled out instead of in, or get a regular pot from some place like Campmor or REI.

Ender
03-02-2006, 13:45
Looks pretty darn good. I'd say invest in some silnylon stuff like everyone has already said... pack cover, sleeping bag stuff sack, food bag, etc... it'll save you some weight.

I'd ditch the mug. On both my long trips I've started with a mug and only used it a couple of times... it'll save you a couple ounces. Ditch the heavy rain jacket and get something lighter. At the very least a Marmot Precip (it'll save you about 10 ounces), or do some of the really light stuff like Frog Toggs or for even lighter Drop Stoppers from BPL (jacket and pants for a total of 10 ounces, saving you 20 ounces).

I'd say keep the silk liner for comfort, but that's just personal preference on my part.

Anyway, looks good.

RITBlake
03-02-2006, 14:07
Hey I went through your list pretty quickly, here are some things that stick as obvious 'leave at home w/ mom' items.

Groundcloth - Most nobo's and none of the sobos we hiked w/ carried one. I hammocked so I can't say why from experience. But seems like most of the tent spots are pretty well flattened out.
‘wind shirt’ - I'm not sure what a wind shirt is, but if you are carrying a base layer, and insulation layer, AND a rain coat, what do you need a wind shirt is. Speaking of rain coats, yours seems very heavy
Extra base layer – top - you only need one hiking shirt. Get used to hiking in a wet shirt, it will be the story of your life for the next couple months
Wet clothing stuff sack - no need
Clothing stuff sack - use your spare clothes to fill some of the voids in your pack.
Pack cover – upgrade - garbage bag wont last long. On rainy days the branches and bushes hang lower then usual. They will make quick work of your pack cover. Get yoruself a granite gear cloud cover. or something similar
Drinking mug - A pretty commonly carried but useless item. Carry a plastic gatorade bottle for water, gatorade etc... I never understood section hikers who would carry 3 or 4 nalgene bottles AND a drinking mug. If you really need coffee drink it right out of your pot.
Bear bag hang system - use a rock and a bandana.
Towel - going to be so nasty after a couple weeks that you wont want it touching your or your food pot. Just clean your pot w/ a little warm water.
Custom first aid kit - duct tape and ibuprofen, and maybe a blister kit or two. leave the rest at home
Compass - No need. The trails already been blazed.
Patch kit, glue etc - no need, you are never that far away from a town. If you put a hole in your tent or pack, duct tape usually will do just fine until you get in to town

hey I hope this helps

RITBlake
03-02-2006, 14:08
woops, correction, most nobos and sobos we hiked w/ didnt carry a groundcloth

Newb
03-02-2006, 14:32
I just carry a small piece of sponge for cleaning my pot.

peter_pan
03-02-2006, 15:12
Not so fast on the ditch the compass comment.... every person that I ever saw going the wrong way had a poor sense of direction and was not checking compass or sun when restarting at some point....a small wrist watch strap model though is sufficient.... and it will keep you oriented if you have to bail for some emergency reason....JMHO.

Pan

FishBone
03-02-2006, 16:36
Hi David-
I won't repeat the good advice already shared. Some thoughts: I have a Squall and the tyvek I use on occassions weighs 4-5 oz.; you may want to re-weigh. Frogg Toggs is discontinuing their pullover rain anorak-hood, front pocket; I got one for $15 plus shipping by calling the factory directly; 8.5 oz/size lg. I had a older model Wisp windshirt and sold it; it was like wearing a plastic bag it was so impermiable. I like a windshirt, though, and got a Montane LightSpeed: good wind and light rain protection, but breathes much better. Otherwise, your list looks good. Have a great hike!
MandoCat:sun

JJB
03-02-2006, 18:05
Have some time but not enough time on the trail to bash any ones gear list. But... That sea to summit silk bag liner, I would get their thermolight(sp?)
one. It might not keep the bag as clean, but it would keep you warmer and it is lighter. I have one and love it. Especialy seeing you are use such a light bag.Brrrr. And do not leave with out a compass!!!!!!! Been spun around couple of times and a quick check has saved my ass more than I would like to admit to. And you will I hope go check out summits and overlooks and such that are not right on the trail and with that non-electronic centurys old device will get you there and back with out a hitch. But good luck and have pant load of fun. The most time I'll have this summer is a Long Trail try. So I'm kind of envious. Peace. J.J.B.

UCONNMike
03-02-2006, 18:59
Hey I went through your list pretty quickly, here are some things that stick as obvious 'leave at home w/ mom' items.

Groundcloth - Most nobo's and none of the sobos we hiked w/ carried one. I hammocked so I can't say why from experience. But seems like most of the tent spots are pretty well flattened out.
‘wind shirt’ - I'm not sure what a wind shirt is, but if you are carrying a base layer, and insulation layer, AND a rain coat, what do you need a wind shirt is. Speaking of rain coats, yours seems very heavy
Extra base layer – top - you only need one hiking shirt. Get used to hiking in a wet shirt, it will be the story of your life for the next couple months
Wet clothing stuff sack - no need
Clothing stuff sack - use your spare clothes to fill some of the voids in your pack.
Pack cover – upgrade - garbage bag wont last long. On rainy days the branches and bushes hang lower then usual. They will make quick work of your pack cover. Get yoruself a granite gear cloud cover. or something similar
Drinking mug - A pretty commonly carried but useless item. Carry a plastic gatorade bottle for water, gatorade etc... I never understood section hikers who would carry 3 or 4 nalgene bottles AND a drinking mug. If you really need coffee drink it right out of your pot.
Bear bag hang system - use a rock and a bandana.
Towel - going to be so nasty after a couple weeks that you wont want it touching your or your food pot. Just clean your pot w/ a little warm water.
Custom first aid kit - duct tape and ibuprofen, and maybe a blister kit or two. leave the rest at home
Compass - No need. The trails already been blazed.
Patch kit, glue etc - no need, you are never that far away from a town. If you put a hole in your tent or pack, duct tape usually will do just fine until you get in to town

hey I hope this helps

Wow, first off I would like to pass along the gear head torch to this guy, it's very rare to find someone else who did such an in depth pack list as I did last year. Blake did a great job breaking down things you wont need. I agree with everythign he said. One thing that did catch my eye was this 10 oz stuff sack for your sleeping bag...ditch that. I had a Vapor Trail too and i just put a trash bag in it and then stuffed my sleeping bag down in the bottom. It never got wet in my pack once, even though it was the item on the very bottom of the pack. So thats all i had to add. Good luck

Lilred
03-04-2006, 12:41
Wow, first off I would like to pass along the gear head torch to this guy, it's very rare to find someone else who did such an in depth pack list as I did last year. Blake did a great job breaking down things you wont need. I agree with everythign he said. One thing that did catch my eye was this 10 oz stuff sack for your sleeping bag...ditch that. I had a Vapor Trail too and i just put a trash bag in it and then stuffed my sleeping bag down in the bottom. It never got wet in my pack once, even though it was the item on the very bottom of the pack. So thats all i had to add. Good luck

I gotta agree about that stuff sack, it's heavy. I use an oven roasting bag inside my stuff sac. It weighs nothing and very durable. I keep my bag at the bottom of my pack and I've never had a wet bag. That oven roasting bag was one of the best tricks I learned. I use one for my clothes bag too.

Almost There
03-05-2006, 21:46
Keep the bag liner if your sleep bag is down. I have known people to trash their down sleep bags on hikes because of how dirty they get. I use a coolmax liner and love it!!! It's worth it to me, to not have to always wash my sleeping bags after a hike, and I like to be able to crawl in and not get the bag filthy, which btw I could do in a week of hiking without the liner.