PDA

View Full Version : Spring 2019 Snow Conditions on Long Trail

Cosmo
05-24-2019, 08:16
Still plenty of snow in the Greens this year: https://www.greenmountainclub.org/2019-hiking-season-is-here-but/

Cosmo

Collin
06-03-2019, 15:44
I'm planning a weeklong hike on the northern section of the trail the first week of July. Is this a significant snow year? I've hiked the trail many times in August and September so July will be the earliest I've done it. Just curious if I'll end up with even more mud to contend with.

egilbe
06-03-2019, 16:46
I'm planning a weeklong hike on the northern section of the trail the first week of July. Is this a significant snow year? I've hiked the trail many times in August and September so July will be the earliest I've done it. Just curious if I'll end up with even more mud to contend with.

Nope, just a cold, late Spring.

Slo-go'en
06-03-2019, 19:33

Some of the worst mud I've experienced on the LT was on the last 30 miles to Canada in July. It had rained a lot the previous 2 weeks, which it could do again this year. It shows no sign of stopping any time soon.

The steep sections were a relief as they were mud free. The bogs between peaks were knee deep in places. HINT: poke ahead in the mud to find safe places to step and hope you don't slip off. Walking around some of these mud holes is not an option.

Collin
06-04-2019, 10:20
Ah. Well I've hiked in 2015 and 2017 and the trail wasn't terribly muddy. Worst was the area just south of Camel's Hump. Hopefully I get a week or two of dry stuff right before I hike.