PDA

View Full Version : Seperate Forum for Section Hikers and Weekend Warriors, Please?

Teatime
03-02-2006, 09:19
We Section Hikers and Weekend Warriors demand equality! There are at least 4 seperate forums specifically related to thru-hiking. However, there are none for Section Hikers/Weekend Warriors. Why not have a thread started about each AT Section, divided as they are in the Guidebooks? I believe there is something like this in the Photo section. Section Hikers and Weekend Warriors, unite. Throw off the oppression of the Thru-hiker clan! Claim your birthright! Let your voices be heard!
No disrespect to Thru-hikers intended, by the way. :) I just feel there should be something similar for us Section Hikers and Weekend Warriors.:-?

C-Stepper
03-02-2006, 09:42
Not thread related, but I saw you were F-V, thought I'd say "hi" :)

Rockjock
03-02-2006, 10:01
IMHO: Not needed I am a weekend warrior/section hiker and think this is an unnecessary division. Too many forums and it just becomes cluttered. There is no need to over analyze.

Standing back waiting for flames.
Rock

bulldog49
03-02-2006, 10:09
IMHO: Not needed I am a weekend warrior/section hiker and think this is an unnecessary division. Too many forums and it just becomes cluttered. There is no need to over analyze.

Standing back waiting for flames.
Rock

I agree, too many categories already.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-02-2006, 10:36
It might not be a bad idea to have a forum specifically to discuss how section hikers reach trailheads, what shuttles worked and didn't, and staying in shape between section hikes. These are things that are different for section hikers and weekend warriors.

Seeker
03-02-2006, 11:01
no need for a new forum section... just mho...

orangebug
03-02-2006, 14:53
Ditto. The same stuff that works for planning thru hikes work for sectioning and makes weekends easier to boot.

After all, section hikers are well aware that we are the truly addicted hikers. We just keep coming back, rather just having the rare extended binge.

peter_pan
03-02-2006, 14:55
Not needed...IMHO.

Pan

attroll
03-02-2006, 14:56
We have way to many forums listed not. If you want to find information on getting to trail heads we already have a forum for that. If we created a forum for everything that we wanted then we would have pages of forums to look through and it would be more confusing then it already is.

Just Jeff
03-02-2006, 14:58
I just click "New Posts" so I don't use the forum divisions anyway.

Alligator
03-02-2006, 15:06
I just click "New Posts" so I don't use the forum divisions anyway.
That only works for WB addicts:sun . Some folks don't visit here as regular. I don't really see it as necessary. Maybe discuss as a sub-forum? Probably the biggest difference is needing to get to the trailheads?

There are a lot of forums. We should start by killing the hammock camping forum. I mean, hammock stuff just bleeds out everywhere anyway...

J/K;) .

Just Jeff
03-03-2006, 00:07
Yeah - I'm addicted. I guess it's my job - I'm going to school now and I take notes on my laptop, so I check it on breaks...several times a day! (Don't tell anyone...I've been known to check it a time or two in class, too...) Then I use it at home to take a break from paper writing. I guess I'll have to detox myself when I get to a new job!! :o

And I guess the hammock stuff is just like the politics that won't stay in the Politics forum. Everybody thinks everybody else wants to hear their word vomit over and over again every time some unsuspecting newbie asks yet another repetitive question without checking the archives. Or in the case of politics, whenever anyone asks about shoes, the environment, hiking, dogs, hiking dogs, poles, the weather, guns, Hillary, or pretty much anything else. :p

But I guess you're right - for you non-addicts, maybe a separate forum would be nice. :)

Alligator
03-03-2006, 00:48
But I guess you're right - for you non-addicts, maybe a separate forum would be nice. :)
I am the pot calling the kettle black. So my edit above.

Teatime
03-03-2006, 09:56
I was being a little tongue in cheek, I know. I do stand by what I posted though. Hey, I'm an orginization freek and hate it when I can't find something right away. I like everything labeled and categorized. Oh well, I guess I will have to relegate myself to 2nd class citizenship here on Whiteblaze.

neo
03-03-2006, 10:13
i know what ya mean,even on the trail a lot of thru hikers have attitudes against weekend warrior and section hikers,i met a guy back in october
that had been on the trail 8 months and admitted he would not finish
his thru hike so that means he does not have bragging rights to give anybody any crap lol,besides your not a real thru hiker till ya complete it
most dont make it,but i dont pay them no mind,i just hike and stay away from most people on the trail.but any way good luck to all potential thru hikers this year :cool: neo

Gray Blazer
03-03-2006, 10:41
Hey Neo, I know what you mean. A couple of years ago I was going from Tellico Gap up to Cheoh Bald. I met a thrubee coming towards me and he said in what I perceived to be a contemptuos tone, "I can tell by the way your dressed I must be near a highway". I wanted to tell him I could tell he was a thru hiker by the way he smelled, but, I bit my tongue.

Just Jeff
03-03-2006, 11:18
You should have said, "I can tell you're an asshat by your attitude."

gsingjane
03-03-2006, 14:56
Hi, I was surprised to see AT Troll's post that there is a forum dealing with transportation to the trail. I looked at the forum marked "Trail Heads and Shuttles," and that mostly deals with shuttles. I also looked through the articles section, and the transportation section deals with how to get to the endpoints of the AT, but not resources for getting on and off in between. As a section hiker, I would LOVE to see resources for public transportation options for midpoints on the AT. Are they somewhere on this site and I'm just not looking in the right place? Or is this an idea for a new article?

Jane in CT

Cookerhiker
03-03-2006, 15:22
I'm a section hiker and I don't see the need for a separate forum.

Almost There
03-03-2006, 15:26
Don't need it, besidesI don't want others to see us as different. We're all stinky hiker trash...TOGETHER!!!

Tim Rich
03-03-2006, 15:40
Other than transportation to various trailheads, there's not much unique to section hiking and thruhiking discussions generally capture the subset of section hiker issues.

neo
03-03-2006, 15:42
You should have said, "I can tell you're an asshat by your attitude."
excellent choice of words jeff:cool: neo

Teatime
03-04-2006, 14:17
Howdy Neighbor! :sun Thought I was the only Whiteblazing hiker trash in these here parts. :p.
Not thread related, but I saw you were F-V, thought I'd say "hi" :)

attroll
03-06-2006, 13:55
Hi, I was surprised to see AT Troll's post that there is a forum dealing with transportation to the trail. I looked at the forum marked "Trail Heads and Shuttles," and that mostly deals with shuttles. I also looked through the articles section, and the transportation section deals with how to get to the endpoints of the AT, but not resources for getting on and off in between. As a section hiker, I would LOVE to see resources for public transportation options for midpoints on the AT. Are they somewhere on this site and I'm just not looking in the right place? Or is this an idea for a new article?

Jane in CT
There is a forum titled Trail heads and Shuttles and the note under it states "Discuss how to get to the trail heads and list shuttle services along the Trail". This is the forum I was referrring to. You can go to this forum here http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29.

If someone wants to create or work up a list for this and send it to me I can post it in the articles section. I just do not have the time to do it with all the other things I have to do on the web site.

Twofifteen
03-06-2006, 14:30
:-? Maybe just a section where we can receive conseling for our feelings of hiking inadequacy. Or one where we could be given trail tricks like "How to make your boots look broken in" or "How to get salt stains on your new capilene shirt." :-?

In all seriousness, this forum is great and I don't feel alienated at all. We all walk the trail in our own way...

schmuttis
03-06-2006, 17:48
If you are looking for information about how to get to AT trailheads try: http://appalachianTrail.rohland.org.

saimyoji
03-06-2006, 20:01
A little online research (off this site and on) will yield the specific trailhead info you need. Perhaps you could be the one to write the article?! Most trail guides, at least the ones I have for MD thru NY show all major trailheads with nearest roads and access to towns, parking.

Google is a great search engine.