PDA

View Full Version : Some people need slappin'

jaboobie
03-02-2006, 10:34
http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2006/03/01/news/news21.txt

Some cross country coach or someone painted hot-pink milemarkers on trees and rocks on the AT.

Stupid people suck. :mad:

neo
03-02-2006, 10:43
http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2006/03/01/news/news21.txt

Some cross country coach or someone painted hot-pink milemarkers on trees and rocks on the AT.

Stupid people suck. :mad:

that sucks:cool: neo

kyhipo
03-02-2006, 10:49
the nerve of them!!:rolleyes: couldnt paint smiley faces or something,pink:eek: ky,well I thinks it still weird.

QHShowoman
03-02-2006, 10:58
Well that's just freakin' ridiculous.

the goat
03-02-2006, 11:10
i'd love to catch someone doing that.......

carolinahiker
03-02-2006, 11:13
gggrrrr what a stupid thing to do can ATC find out who did it and get them i wonder.

KirkMcquest
03-02-2006, 11:23
I'd like to catch the black-blazing sob that painted white blazes going the wrong way in kent, south of bulls bridge. Blazes go up to nowhere, leaves you lost because the other side isn't blazed. Had to bushwack to a farm and beg a ride last year, very annoying!!!

jaboobie
03-02-2006, 11:56
I feel like putting up a $100 reward for the information on who did it. My feeling was that it was a local high school coach, I don't have anything to back that up but it sounds about right. I would bet some high school kid would rat out his coach for $100. They can't all be spoiled rich brats. :)

It seems most likely that it would be some organization that has official competitions rather than just an individual looking to mark trails. Who else would need to know the exact half-mile marker? Maybe an obsessive compulsive trailrunner.

Whoever it was, it would be nice of them to come forward and volunteer some hours out there. I doubt that'll happen though.

D'Artagnan
03-02-2006, 12:17
To coin a phrase I first learned on this very site: What an asshat!

RITBlake
03-02-2006, 12:35
interesting, when we were hiking through that very same section we were passed by 40+ cross country runners over the course of an hour. At one point we stopped and high fived each one as they passed by. It was an interesting site.

Lone Wolf
03-02-2006, 12:40
At least it wasn't on a real pretty section. The Cumberland Valley is hardly scenic.

jaboobie
03-02-2006, 13:13
yeah, that place sucks. :rolleyes:

Just Jeff
03-02-2006, 13:15
Just to be contrary - what's the difference between painting white blazes and pink blazes on a tree?

Ender
03-02-2006, 13:16
Seems like someone who just doesn't know any better. Hopefully the article will educate him/her to the rules, and they'll stop doing it at the very least, and offer some volunteer time ideally.

lobster
03-02-2006, 13:17
I heard that the Squeaky Speed Hike Assault Team is going to use the same method to pace him accurately.

Lone Wolf
03-02-2006, 13:18
Damn right!:)

khaynie
03-02-2006, 13:27
interesting, when we were hiking through that very same section we were passed by 40+ cross country runners over the course of an hour. At one point we stopped and high fived each one as they passed by. It was an interesting site.

Wasn't this where D King got picked up by the girls/xcountry team? If so, isn't it a little too coincendental that the blazes are in pink? It's starting to come together, eh?

Hmmm, and I thought I new what pink blazin' meant...

QHShowoman
03-02-2006, 13:36
Just to be contrary - what's the difference between painting white blazes and pink blazes on a tree?

The difference is that from the pictures, the "mile markings" were sloppily painted and look like graffiti. They aren't just little pink 4x6 rectangles; they are numbers hastily scrawled on trees.

saimyoji
03-02-2006, 13:36
I agree with the sentiment that this is wrong, but may be of you are overreacting: I dont recall this kind of outrage when we heard of people nailing tin markers to the trees, which actually harms the tree; as opposed to pink spray paint which, while unseemly, is merely aesthetic.

I like the attitude of the ranger: to educate the perpetrator(s) about using natural land marks.

The guys could have used yellow ribbons tied off to trees, or something removeable. I agree it sounds like some people who just weren't using their heads at the time. If they are out there using the trail, they must appreciate it for something. I suggest we not be reactionary until we know the whole story.

saimyoji
03-02-2006, 13:38
I agree with the sentiment that this is wrong, but maybe some of you are overreacting:

no edit feature for me

jaboobie
03-02-2006, 13:41
I appreciate the museum too but I don't mark X's next to the paintings I've already seen.

I'm not advocating prosecution either. It was a stupid thing to do and it would be nice if someone came forward, volunteered some hours or made a donation.

That's all.

I'm not even sure I agree with the spray-paint cover-up camo. That can't be the most enviromentally friendly solution, can it?

peter_pan
03-02-2006, 15:22
Sure is a good thing that we have some dedicated trail maintainers...thanks for fixing this c**p for us....

Pan

Bob Baker
03-02-2006, 18:15

From the pictures the pink is flourescent (spelling?) and a whole lot more unnatural and unsightly than the whiteblazes. Also, as said before they arent uniform and look almost like graffiti.

Pacific Tortuga
03-02-2006, 18:59
. I have never understood a sport that has you run 26 miles just to puke at the end but fully understand hiking 2,000 + to touch a sign. :-?

If the pink blazes help keep the group that uses them on track and safe :confused: aaaaaaaa screw being P.C., it just aint right nomatter what L.Wolf says about the area.

Stix
03-02-2006, 21:57
Pink blazes? Yea, sounds like a couple of them there pissed off liberal hiker types trying to make a statement to me.

weary
03-02-2006, 22:11
. I have never understood a sport that has you run 26 miles just to puke at the end but fully understand hiking 2,000 + to touch a sign. :-?

If the pink blazes help keep the group that uses them on track and safe :confused: aaaaaaaa screw being P.C., it just aint right nomatter what L.Wolf says about the area.
Among other things the spray painting was 1.) illegal. 2.) stupid. 3.) dumb. 4.) vandalism.

Weary

Whistler
03-02-2006, 23:28
Wow. That just sucks. Plenty of better ways to accomplish the same task.
-Mark

Freighttrain
03-03-2006, 00:22
not scenic? the area north for several miles is quite beautiful as the trail crosses grassy farm fields

SGTdirtman
03-03-2006, 00:55
wow... yall sure are an angry bunch

It was dumb but i dont think we need a lynch mob for this, they probably just didnt know it was illegal or wrong... Its not like someone went out there with the intent of defacing the trees.

Max Power
03-03-2006, 01:09
I need to learn to post a little better I guess. I added this topic a few days ago, but somehow the comments got a little sidetracked. Can you imagine that?
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13346&highlight=camo

SGTdirtman
03-03-2006, 02:48
Yea I was gonna say someone mentioned this before.... but everyone seemed to be posting in this one so I just went with the flow :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
03-03-2006, 07:54
not scenic? the area north for several miles is quite beautiful as the trail crosses grassy farm fields
It ain't Maine. I like the old road walk route better.

Doctari
03-03-2006, 11:30
The trail I used to maintain in a local (SW Ohio) park has a once a year race on it. The organizer paints HUGE orange blazes on every tree to the right of the trail. By HUGE I mean 1 foot or more in diam.

The trail is marked by orange blazes, about 2" dia. & the blazes are about 1/4 mile apart unless there is a tricky intersection.

After a few years of this, I filed a vandalisum complaint with the ranger. I havn't been there for a few years (work, etc) so don't know if the practice continues. I do know that the ones from 1999 were still visible in 2001.

Very unsightly, and unnecisary, as a few ribbons would do the same thing & degrade quickly.

I hate stoopid people.

(stupid = Very very non smart. Stoopid = stupid x 20)

Doctari.

Scots Guards
03-03-2006, 16:10
Pink blazes you say? Hummmmm?? Maybe it was a gay hiking group.
[