PDA

View Full Version : My Wife Appreciates my hiking gear

Bearleg
05-30-2019, 21:40
The city of Beavercreek , Ohio was hit Memorial Day by an EF 3 tornado , missed my house by 100 yards, no power, no problem. When your wife say she wants coffee in the morning , what does one do? You make her coffee. I pulled out my back packing stove and fuel, heat up some water and make coffee. She says she will never say any thing about my gear again.
It was a win win.
All is good, community pulling together , it’s kinda like trail magic
Please keep those who have lost everything not only here in Ohio but else where in your thoughts and prayers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fastfoxengineering
05-30-2019, 22:40
My mother lost power for two weeks this winter.

With the crazy weather, she didnt want to burn up excess propane using her stove. Wanted to save it for heat just in case.

I came over and whipped up shrimp scampi on a snowpeak litemax.

Her life was changed forever. I left a few canisters and the stove with her and she used it every day till things were back to normal.

Camping equipment isnt a bad thing to have laying around tbh. In your case, a natural disaster... a backpacking kit can be quite resourceful.

Its like a dialed in preparedness kit. Yet, practical, and not 50lbs like some "preppers" ...

Throw in a solid firearm and you're prepared for lots of circumstances.

I always keep a few days of backpacking food on hand.

People tend to freak out every storm and power outages where im from.

Im like i have a 6 different stoves and a years worth of fuel...

I have a 0* mummy bag and a winter sleeping pad. I have other bags and pads tp layer as well.

I have quality outdoor clothing..etc

Pretty much prepaped for the worst. I dont want to prep anymore than that though. I know I have stuff. Anything more and its paranoia.

Glad your safe and sound.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Dogwood
05-31-2019, 02:29
When reading the title of the thread what came to mind was Kenny Chesney's song And She Thinks My Tractors Sexy.

MuddyWaters
05-31-2019, 06:56
Everyone around me has generators, window ac units that can be put in, and tailgating cooking equipment, and barbecue. Power outages from storms, hurricanes, are inconvenience....but life goes in. We mostly use microwave, toaster oven, and 2 burner coleman stove. Keep refrig and freezer going.

Then theres the people with generators that run their whole house....

And many just bring travel trailer home, PArk it in drive and stay in it.

Never used no tiny backpack stove at home. When you have weeks without power every 10-15 yrs or so, you adapt.

bigcranky
05-31-2019, 07:06
Then theres the people with generators that run their whole house....

With the weather we've been having the last couple of years around here, I'm seriously considering one of these. Natural gas powered, fires up as soon as the power goes out. I really hate throwing out everything in my freezer.

I have the travel trailer parked in the garage, so I could pull it out for a place to sleep and cook, but it's tiny and doesn't have a generator.

Bearleg
05-31-2019, 07:15
We all have generators going , nothing like the sound of a Briggs and STRATTON engine in the morning along with our coffee.

Hikes in Rain
05-31-2019, 09:17
Our power company is SO unreliable, we installed a large (17 kWatt) Generac house generator. We have hurricanes down here, but our company doesn't wait for those. Nice sunny day, a light breeze, and the power goes out. Often without a breeze. Got sick and tired of sweltering when the temperature is approaching 100 out there! It's powerful enough to run the AC and any two appliances (washer, dishwasher, etc.) We usually just power the AC. It kept us going a couple of times when hurricanes did come over, three and four days at a time. Opened up our fridge and freezer to our cul de sac. After the first storm, two of our neighbors put their own systems in.

martinb
05-31-2019, 09:53
This has happened several times for me down here in hurricaine-ville. Glad your place was spared.

Bearleg
05-31-2019, 22:04
They tell us we had 15 tornados in a 2 1/2 hours. In the Dayton Ohio area. Thanks to all the out of town crews helping us. The crew in our area is from Chatt. Tenn. the volunteer state