PDA

View Full Version : Kilts

Trail Yeti
03-02-2006, 11:25
Curious as to how many hikers wear kilts nowadays..... In '02 there was about 10 of us (that I know of), and it seems like I seem them more and more every year.....
So lets hear it pros/cons of types whatever.....
Let "the boys" breathe!!! LIFE IS GOOD, WEAR A KILT!:banana

Lone Wolf
03-02-2006, 11:29
I've seen lots of skirts worn by men but no "real" kilts. How gay.:D

KirkMcquest
03-02-2006, 11:34
Got to agree with LW on this one. Leave the skirts at home guys, its just too weird.

KirkMcquest
03-02-2006, 11:45
Guys in kilts:

Pros Cons

better breathability Your wearing a dress!!!

chance to show off those legs

thongs don't ride up as much

can borrow one from your catholic
school girl sister

TDale
03-02-2006, 11:50
At least ten characters of "No"

Fiddler
03-02-2006, 11:56
I wear pants. My wife wears the skirts.

nattyd123
03-02-2006, 11:58
But L.Wolf, 'gay' is a compliment!

Do the historical and ethnographic research, pants are the odd man out in male and female clothing.

I'll definitely be wearing a kilt after I get south of Maine. If I can afford (+$200, so probably not) I'll have a kilt tailored with my tartan. Any suggestions on the commercially made 'hiking kilts, Trail Yeti?

KirkMcquest
03-02-2006, 12:05
I believe Gloria Vanderbuilt has a stunning new collection of hiking kilts

skylark
03-02-2006, 12:11
Kilts are out, breechclouts are in!

Cheesewhiz
03-02-2006, 13:13
You are getting a custom tailored kilt to ruin on the trail? your crazy. you might as well stay the night at the Ritz and have you pleates starched and ironed every night. www.sportkilt.com (http://www.sportkilt.com) www.macabiskirt.com (http://www.macabiskirt.com) I love wearing kilts/skirts. It is in my blood. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it and it does not mean im gay. I just like the freedom, that is why I also hike in sandals.

nattyd123
03-02-2006, 13:34
I am probably overestimating the durability of a wool kilt. But then again, generations of Scots sleeping in the heath can't be wrong. I'll probably end up wearing synthetic. How's hiking in the Macabi? I've heard there's too much material to get caught on whatever you happen by.

Doctari
03-02-2006, 13:59
I own 5 kilts, all homemade by me.

One is earmarked / made just for; hiking. It is the one that is closest to a "real kilt". I would love a custom made kilt, clan Gordon please, but at a base price of over $400.00, Idontthinkso!

All of my kilts are wool. I usually wear a Sporran (pouch hanging from the front, much like a large pocket) or belt pack in front. A friend once said, and I only partly subscribe to this but it is food for thought:
"No sporran = Dress
Pouch worn to the side or rear = Dress
Sporran worn & worn properly = Kilt"

I wear a kilt. Real men wear kilts. Oh, I see you are not wearing one,,, I'm so sorry for you! :p

Doctari.

nattyd123
03-02-2006, 14:06
Other good reasons: http://www.utilikilts.com/custtop10.htm

Almost There
03-02-2006, 16:08
A kilt could never be a dress, it would have to be a skirt!!! BTW I love mine!!! I might toy with shorts again this summer, but they are comfortable. Just because some of you will only wear dresses in the privacy of your own homes doesn't mean there aren't some of us who are secure enough in our masculinity to hit the trail in a kilt.

Honestly, it's like..HYOH...wear what you want that makes the trail more comfortable for you!!!

Mr. Clean
03-02-2006, 19:52
Black Stewart tartan, and can't imagine not wearing one. It feels weird come December to put pants on again because of the cold. Heck, I've even snowshoed with my kilt on.

Trail Yeti
03-03-2006, 15:28
Lone Wolf, the fact that I was wearing a "skirt" (your words not mine) didn't keep you from buying all the beer at the Mill at Trail Days a couple of years ago!!:D :banana
Guess you must have liked my legs!!! j/k
BTW, you should ride that harley to Boone sometime and eat some Burritos at Black Cat!

As for my preference. I own 2 sportkilts and 1 mtn hardwear. The MH has more miles....and I love the fact that the side pocket perfectly holds an AT Data Book.
the sportkilt has better freedom of movement, imo, but depending on the tartan can be heavy and hot. One I will never wear hiking again (took it on one trip), and the other has only been on day hikes. However, the newer one fits better (smaller size) and seems lighter so maybe it will work better.
Not sure which I will be wearing on my thru this year.....
I really like the pocket on the MH....but like the tartan and "drape" of the sportkilt. Maybe I should post pics of me in both and let the ladies decide!!!

Doctari, I am really interested in your homemade kilts....do you have a link?

Cheesewhiz
03-03-2006, 18:12
I own the macabi, sport kilt, utilikilt, multiple mens sarongs. I don't find anything at all wrong with wearing them for any ocassion. I am even starting my thruhike this year wearing my Macabi. It dries super fast and weighs almost nothing, The wrinkiles fall right out, no pleats to fuss with, and a tighter knit so no pulls. Its long enough not to flash anyone accidentally yet short enough not to get caught in my feet. I love snapping up the sides and unclipping the modesty strap. I have noticed that the fabric is darn near wind proof(except the wicked up draft) They are great for getting changed at camp

Doctari
03-03-2006, 18:18
Doctari, I am really interested in your homemade kilts....do you have a link?

I seem to remember posting instructions somewhere here on WB. Was going to post pictures, still plan on it, but sewing machine is mad at me & refuses to sew.

I will look in my stuff & see if I have the instructions still, just in case I didn't post them already.

AND, I will answer any questions you have if you decide to do one.

Doctari.

Ridge
03-03-2006, 23:32
I'll not accept a Kilt on anyone but a true Tartan, A Scottish Highlander. Haven't met one of those lately, or never actually.

uncas
03-04-2006, 00:09
Hello Guys,

Another site to check out is www.brokebackmtnkilts.com (http://www.brokebackmtnkilts.com). They have a rainbow of colors and shorties.

Also, this Spring REI is unveiling its new Mens Hiking Capri in Starbucks Colors.

Sorry Guys, could not resist. Wear what you want.

Q: What kind of name is Yossarian?
A: Its Yossarian's name, Sir!

Trail Yeti
03-04-2006, 14:17
I'll not accept a Kilt on anyone but a true Tartan, A Scottish Highlander. Haven't met one of those lately, or never actually.

Well what about the descendants of Highlanders? All you have to do is look at me to see that I'm Scots-Irish.

hey cheezewhiz, that macabi thing looks pretty cool!:D

No Belay
03-09-2006, 22:42
What ever floats your boat but I'm not an advocate for kilts (skirts with an accent) on men or women on the trail. Hiked Clingman section with a female friend wearing a skirt and no underwear on a rather windy day last May. She had chapped lips for the next 2 days and I suffered major bruising caused by being totally distracted. :o

frequency
03-31-2006, 17:18
I wear pants. My wife wears the skirts.

I wear trousers - my wife wears pants...

mindlessmariachi
03-31-2006, 17:39
i just wish the kilted guys would remember to "sit like a lady." too often you see far more than you'd really like to.

Doctari
04-01-2006, 12:41
i just wish the kilted guys would remember to "sit like a lady." too often you see far more than you'd really like to.

I agree!!! When I first started wering a kilt, I wore shorts for the times I forgot. Now: I wear one so often, it's a natural thing to sit "Like a lady" or more acuratly, like a man wearing a kilt. AND, only real men wear kilts.

Doctari.

Rift Zone
04-21-2006, 19:25
I’m 6 foot tall, blonde hair, blue eyes, medium build and I don’t take crap from no one. Must be part of my Highlander heritage. Robertson Clan, thank you very much. But this ain’t about heritage, this is about gear.

Summer solstice is (unofficially) “hike in the buff” day on the AT. Sure enough, there I was on the first day of summer hiking down the trail, sporting not much more than a pack and boots. It’s was fine for the trail but road crossings were another matter. I simply wrapped a little ground cloth around my waist and moved on till I was clear of the road. Well my little ground cloth was a coated piece of rip-stop, not exactly ideal wear for hot weather but I noticed that even with it being coated, the ventilation was far greater than what I got out of my light-weight hiking shorts. Well, I run a bit hot-blooded to begin with so any increase in ventilation will certainly get my attention.

I now own a MH Mountain Kilt and I’ll be wearing it on my ‘07 ECT attempt. Why? Because it is all about having the best gear for the job. When it comes to high heat and high humidity, I’m gonna take advantage of any ventilation I can get. If you can’t understand that then maybe you got more “fashion show” on your mind than “appropriate gear”. Perhaps you should hang out at the mall… Leave the trail to the real men!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-21-2006, 21:00
Gents, the female perspective. Do not knock wearing a skirt on the trail until you have tried it. I will hardly wear a dress anywhere, but I will wear a skirt on the trail because it is much cooler and keeps the nether region from developing 'hiker funk' faster than the rest of me does. Also, we ladies have to have something to make us laugh on the trail.

I may have to start a poll to ask how many people want me to use my photoshop skills to put LWolf in a kilt. ::: off to hide from LWolf :::

Rift Zone
04-22-2006, 00:04
I know I'm going to catch some slack for that one. It’s all good, but don’t get your panties in a bunch. This thread is just as much about clothing choice as it is about poking some fun at the pansies.
Another site to check out is www.brokebackmtnkilts.com (http://www.brokebackmtnkilts.com/). That is f***’n funny. I bust up every time I read it. Thanks for that one uncas.

So the stage is set, the only question now is: who are the pansies? I know the answer! Real men wear kilts! Pansies tell each other, “It’s absolutely hideous, I could never wear such a thing.” Have fun in the mall guys!

Ridge
04-22-2006, 02:16
Hello Guys,

Another site to check out is www.brokebackmtnkilts.com (http://www.brokebackmtnkilts.com). They have a rainbow of colors and shorties...............

I was hoping it was a real site to chuckle at.

The General
04-22-2006, 04:02
Got to agree with Ridge, Kilts should be worn by Highlanders. Ive Known Many from fine Scottish fighting regiments and despite the efforts of the British Government in recent Defence cuts to destroy hundreds of years of proud fighting history. Highlanders should continue to wear their National dress with pride as is their right and in the memory of their fore fathers who fought with great Valour for the right to do so, Lesser mortals should just look on in envy.

That being said I did try one on in the fitting room of the outfitter in Damascus during my Thru in 2004. I put it back on the shelf, it just did not sit right with my conscience.

Highlanders aside. It Smacks of crossdressing to me.

neighbor dave
04-22-2006, 07:48
:-? baggy shorts for me. never had any issues. ain't wearin' a skirt. i figure if yer embarrased ta wear it around town when yer back home,why wouldja wear it anywhere else?? next is vibram soled high heels??:eek:

neighbor dave
04-22-2006, 07:54
I’m 6 foot tall, blonde hair, blue eyes, medium build

:-? what the heck does this have to do wid wearin' a skirt??? sounds more like a personal ad.:jump

Lone Wolf
04-22-2006, 07:57
:-? what the heck does this have to do wid wearin' a skirt??? sounds more like a personal ad.:jump
He "don't take crap from no one."

Rift Zone
04-22-2006, 14:28
I’m 6 foot tall, blonde hair, blue eyes, medium buildHeritage.

KiltGear.

He "don't take crap from no one."Heritage.

Trail Yeti
04-24-2006, 11:05
[QUOTE=neighbor dave ain't wearin' a skirt. i figure if yer embarrased ta wear it around town when yer back home,why wouldja wear it anywhere else?? [/QUOTE]
Not embarrassed at all. I wear my kilt whenever I feel like. True, You get some funny looks, but I don't care. Matter of fact, I'm wearing my kilt tomorrow to class (my last college class ever:banana ) and to my graduation banquet.
I agree with rift....its about comfort AND heritage.
As for photoshop LW in a kilt....yes please, I would love to see that, since I probably will never see it in real life!

Rift Zone
04-30-2006, 02:42
...its just too weird.Gives ya them warm, fuzzy fellings huh? Keep them to yourself and we'll be cool.

I wear one so often, it's a natural thing to sit "Like a lady" Ya lost me Doc, I was with ya for a while, then ya lost me.

That being said I did try one on in the fitting room of the outfitter in Damascus during my Thru in 2004. I put it back on the shelf, it just did not sit right with my conscience.That's exactly why only real men can wear one. I just got mine. I tried it on when I got it... My fashion sense wondered what the f*** I was doing. My gear head told my fashion sense to stop whining like a pansy and wear it like a man. Gear wins out in my book.

:-? what the heck does this have to do wid wearin' a skirt?It means there's a 95% chance that the guy wearing the [whatever you call it] has more balls and is better outfitted than you. It's okay man, I won't tease you about your inferior gear as long as you don't whine like a pansy.

neighbor dave
04-30-2006, 20:10
It means there's a 95% chance that the guy wearing the [whatever you call it] has more balls and is better outfitted than you. It's okay man, I won't tease you about your inferior gear as long as you don't whine like a pansy.

:-? guess i'm in the 5%

women need not justify why they wear a skirt.
men need not justify why they wear trousers.
guy wearin' skirt.... needs to justify that he's wearin' a skirt!!;)

it ain't about the gear. it's about the will and determination to succeed!!:jump

yer prolly cool. anywho when ya gonna start paddlin'??

Rift Zone
05-01-2006, 21:32
it ain't about the gear. it's about the will and determination to succeed!!:jump I think it's both. -at the very least, proper gear makes will and determination easier to come by.

I've already set out... I left Montana last summer and took the winter off when I got to Omaha. I'll be back on the river by the end of this month.

neighbor dave
05-02-2006, 05:45
I think it's both. -at the very least, proper gear makes will and determination easier to come by.

I've already set out... I left Montana last summer and took the winter off when I got to Omaha. I'll be back on the river by the end of this month.

:-? good luck, when ya reach the norfeast lemme know iffin ya need anyting,O.K.?? :sun

Rift Zone
05-02-2006, 12:01
:-? guess i'm in the 5% Cool.

guy wearin' skirt.... needs to justify that he's wearin' a skirt!!;)Yep.

I will wear a skirt on the trail because it is much cooler and keeps the nether region from developing 'hiker funk' faster than the rest of me does.
Because it is all about having the best gear for the job. When it comes to high heat and high humidity, I’m gonna take advantage of any ventilation I can get.Justified.

Sure thing Neighbor Dave. I'd be happy to give you a shout out when I get into your 'hood.:)