PDA

View Full Version : Trekking Poles 101

maxNcathy
03-02-2006, 12:07
I am all ears and willing to learn about how to use trekking poles. I bought my first pair the other day and would appreciate your ideas on their use...ANYTHING that you have learned. Thanks, Max

KirkMcquest
03-02-2006, 12:12
Best thing is just to get out there and learn how YOU will use them. One tip though is to use a simultaneous ( im sure thats spelled wrong) vaulting movement when going uphill. In other words pushing off with both poles at the same time.
Also, I find that on flat surfaces its best to sometimes put them away. Using poles does use up extra enrgy.

rgarling
03-02-2006, 12:14
grip (flats, uphills and gentle decents): hand goes up through the loop and back down around the strap / pole. Your hand isn't really gripping... If you have anti-shock poles, deactivate the spring.

grip (on steep decent): top of pole in palm of hand. If you have springs, activate them.

Cuffs
03-02-2006, 12:19
grip (flats, uphills and gentle decents): hand goes up through the loop and back down around the strap / pole. Your hand isn't really gripping... If you have anti-shock poles, deactivate the spring.

grip (on steep decent): top of pole in palm of hand. If you have springs, activate them.

Thanks for that useful bit, would never have known!!

I have a pair of Leki's that I use and find them extremelly helpful when rock hopping across streams.

Lone Wolf
03-02-2006, 12:21
Trekking poles are only usefull when fording the Kennebec. :)

rhjanes
03-02-2006, 12:49

they make a paddle adaption? ;)

Cheesewhiz
03-02-2006, 13:07
I have thwarted off angry dogs and even picked up rattlesnakes and moved them off the trail with my poles, I use them to set-up my tent or tarp. they make a great wiffle ball bat. I sometimes even use them when hiking.

Blue Jay
03-02-2006, 13:10

They are also good for wacking dogs and looking real stylish, but that's about it.

Cheesewhiz
03-02-2006, 13:23
oooh yeah they make a great javoline for hunting and killing big game for meere survival on the AT.

MacGyver2005
03-02-2006, 13:37
Pretty much all manufacturers and outfitters suggest you wrap the loop around your wrist. This is an excellent way to dislocate your shoulder or break your collar bone if you fall. It is safer (and I find more convenient) to simply hold the strap between your hand and the grip of the pole, with the strap only around your palm. The best way I can think to describe this is to take the pole by the loop in one hand, hold your other hand out as if shaking someones hand, then put the loop around your four fingers about the palm. Like this the pole should dangle from your hand by the loop, and your thumb should be free.

If you have three piece poles, as most are, then you should also properly adjust them. The pole should touch the ground and be in your hand with your elbow at a 90º angle. The bottom section should be 1/3 of the extended length and the middle section 2/3. This will minimize the stress on the pole sections.

You can decide for yourself, but I think you should use your poles at all times while hiking. Use them, but do not rely on them. You should not be putting all of your weight on your poles. If one were to give out you should be able to keep from falling. However at the same time the poles will often keep you from falling. They also take a large strain off of your knees, hips and ankles, to the tune of ~30%! Your joints will thank you.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

C-Stepper
03-02-2006, 14:18
Here's a good link http://www.backpacking.net/trekpole.html

micromega
03-02-2006, 14:44
When I adjust pole length and am ready to hike, I like to LEAN on them before starting to hike. Stick 'em into the ground as if I'm going to use them and put a good deal of pressure on them. That way I know they won't collapse on me at the most inopportune moment. Learned that the hard way.

peter_pan
03-02-2006, 15:02
Poles are the MOST LOST item on the AT....when hitching they are in the back of the truck...someone asks if you got everthing and someone else with out checking says yea and the truck and poles are gone.... etch your name and a good phone number on them ... you may get them back... this is useful anyway as poles often look alike...

Poles save many a twisted ankle or sprain... they save knees on the downs and help un the ups....I predict that you will like them.

Pan

Alligator
03-02-2006, 15:15
Poles are the MOST LOST item on the AT....when hitching they are in the back of the truck...someone asks if you got everthing and someone else with out checking says yea and the truck and poles are gone.... etch your name and a good phone number on them ... you may get them back... this is useful anyway as poles often look alike...

Poles save many a twisted ankle or sprain... they save knees on the downs and help un the ups....I predict that you will like them.

Pan
My buddy lost one in Mahoosuc Notch. It was a rather deep hole.

Brock
03-02-2006, 15:42
Here is a good link on how to properly hold the trekking pole
http://www.trekkingpoles.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=How_To_Use

Nearly Normal
03-02-2006, 20:58
When you stop to rest...drink, whatever.... You'll find that leaning your poles against a tree isn't always the thing to do.
Once you climb down a gorge and back up to get the one that fell over you'll begin to loop both on one hand.
pete

vipahman
03-02-2006, 23:12
Hands thru' the straps so that there is some weight transfer even with a light grip. Tighten the straps accordingly. For winter weather, the straps need to be looser to accomodate gloves. By transfering your weight to the poles on ascents and descents, you will save your thighs and knees respectively. You will definitely increase your endurance if you have weak legs like me. Your shoulders and back will be doing a lot more work. 20+ summer miles should be easy. YMMV.

maxNcathy
03-03-2006, 17:24
Big thanks to you all for your ideas and links.

Max

Any other tips or uses for poles?

Lilred
03-03-2006, 18:36
Big thanks to you all for your ideas and links.

Max

Any other tips or uses for poles?

Poles are great for brushing aside overgrowth from the trail, or for clearing the trail of branches.

I also put my socks over them in camp to dry out.

That was a good link for proper strap use. I used to snow ski and you use hiking poles in the same manner as you would skiing.

maxNcathy
03-05-2006, 22:00
In kayaking torso rotation gives power to your stroke. Today I tried this when hiking up a steep hill and it seemed to help. Is this what "should" be done? ...or part of the proper technique?

Teatime
03-06-2006, 10:31
Be careful on steep downhills. On the descent from Wesser Bald to NOC, I almost lost it a few times because I had the rubber tips on my poles and leaves covered the trail. Once I had the good sense to remove the rubber tips, I found I had much better grip. Also, as has been stated, don't rely on them and put weight on them.

icemanat95
03-06-2006, 11:54
I'm converting back to a hiking stick myself, more potentially useful. BUT. using poles is pretty intuitive. When double poling, the pole goes forward with the opposite leg. If single poling, you will want the pole in the downhill hand on sidehills, and opposite the weaker/injured leg.

The strap is the support for the hand, not your grip. If you try to grip the pole with your hand, you'll give yourself hellish tennis elbow. If the strap is adjusted properly, it'll position your hand so that all you need to do to solidify your support is close your hand, and it'll index right into your hand. I don't find poles to be an energy drain on the flats, but your mileage may vary. They can be a serious pain in the hind end when on steep climbs or descents where they get in the way of handgrips. But them away and do without for those stretches.

It ain't that hard. Just go out and do it.