PDA

View Full Version : About hiking poles?

lobster
03-02-2006, 13:23
1. About what % of potential thru-hikers use them?

2. Environmental impact?

3. Did the "old school" hikers employ them?

lobster
03-02-2006, 13:27
4. Is it taking the easy way out?

khaynie
03-02-2006, 13:29
1: 98.6%
2: None
3: They used limbs
4: No

asphalt commando
03-02-2006, 13:32
Why would you think hiking poles are "taking the easy way out" ???

lobster
03-02-2006, 14:11
You are propelling yourself forward by artificial means instead of body effort.

RITBlake
03-02-2006, 14:16

that's the dumbest thing i've ever read on WB.

Lone Wolf
03-02-2006, 14:18
1 Damn near all of them
2 Not much to speak of. Friggin noisy though.
3 I never do/did.
4 Not the easy way out but shows how marketing works on the naive.

RockyTrail
03-02-2006, 14:26

...if that's true for hiking poles, then the same could be said for your shoes :-?

RITBlake
03-02-2006, 14:28
ahh lonewolf, its all about physics. Sorry that you've never tried them but its not really a debatable matter about whether or not they work. If you're climbing a hill and you have two points of propulsion (your feet) and you add a third or even forth source of propulsion (your back, shoulders, and arms) you will put your whole body to work climbing that hill. By putting your whole body to work you distribute the stress evenly, not just on your lower half. You will climb much more efficiently. (anyone who has hiked uphill without their poles knows what I’m talking about) On the downhills they reduce wear and tear on your feet, ankles and knees. On slippery surfaces they serve to help keep your balance and will break your fall if needed. I think you're naive for it least not trying them.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

greentick
03-02-2006, 14:31

I second that.

Put your arms to use instead of just carrying them along. Poles (IMO) give a boost on the uphills and steady the (steeper) downhills with a pack. I am a recent pole user and noticed less difference hiking with just a hydration pack as opposed to a full load as far as their usefullness.

asphalt commando
03-02-2006, 14:31
Unbelievable......

UCONNMike
03-02-2006, 14:32

I second that...seriously the dumbest thing ever.

Lone Wolf
03-02-2006, 14:35
I've tried them RIT. I just don't need them. I'm a naturally strong, fast backpacker.

micromega
03-02-2006, 14:37
Easy way out??? Jeeeeeeeez Lobster, where did you come up with THAT? Its nice to see someone squeeze a chuckle out of trekking poles though.

It isn't taking the easy way out, its just utilizing a different set of muscles to assist the legs. You're still steaming along under your own power. Has anyone done a study of caloric usage for hiking with and without poles? I wonder if its more or less one way or the other...

Environmental impact, well, hoo now. I'm already seeing scratches on stones, give it a couple decades and that'll wear a trough into the stone. In long term environmental impact those carbide tips will have to go.

greentick
03-02-2006, 14:37
you can multitask them to:
put up a tarp/poncho hootch
splints
fishing pole
big a**ed chopsticks to remove trail debris on the fly
among others...

RITBlake
03-02-2006, 14:38
I've tried them RIT. I just don't need them. I'm a naturally strong, fast backpacker.

fair enough. do you tuck your hands inside your pack straps when you walk? I saw some folks doing that.

weary
03-02-2006, 14:42
....4 Not the easy way out but shows how marketing works on the naive.
True. As I get old and "weary" I find my sense of balance is declining, so these days I mostly walk on woodland trails with a wooden stick I cut in the woods. It weighs about 10 ounces with an added strap and crutch tip and cost almost nothing -- well the crutch tip was around 75 cents, maybe a few pennies less.

I bought a Komperdell grip -- complete with cork top, strap and imbedded compass for $10, none of which were needed, and only rarely used. My stick on the trail in '93 had a crudely carved handle and no strap and worked as well or better.

I've experimented with Lekis mostly because Leki left a bunch of samples at The Cabin. I found my 75 cent hiking stick worked much better in terms of balance and freedom from falls, produced no annoying clicks and punched no holes in the trails that some of us at least think increases trail erosion.

What my stick doesn't foster is extra speed, which is what most hikers seem to use Leki poles for. I'm rarely interested in speed. I like to maximize my time in the woods, rather than rushing to get out as quickly as possible.

In compensation for not contributing to faster walks, my sturdy wooden hiking stick can be used to break off offending tree branches while bush whacking.

Weary

camich
03-02-2006, 14:44
I bought some Leki's after seeing so many thru hikers use them. Honestly, they wear me out. I think I'm better off without them. My son likes them...I'm glad someone will use them since they are so expensive. I'm going to try them one more time on our section at the end of March...:o

the goat
03-02-2006, 15:10

nope. staying in front of your computer and trolling is the "easy way out";)

Ender
03-02-2006, 15:38
I've found I really like them on downhills. That's when they're the most useful to me. Helps my knees and ankles a lot. Uphills they help me get up more efficiently. On the flats however (HA! Flat on the AT. Good one. But on the PCT...) I've found I hike much more efficiently with the natural motion of my arms. When I did the PCT (1200 miles only) with a Luxurylite pack, I was able to just hang them off the uprights without even breaking stride when the trail got flat, and my hands were free. And when I hit a hill, either up or down, I'd just reach up and grab them.

Brock
03-02-2006, 15:38
I use trekking poles because they help with my stability and help me not to roll ankles. Last year, my poles saved me at least twice out of 350 miles in not coming down with a sprained ankle, but just a sore one. Guess I need to practice my walking.

As for environmental impact, this is not a question to laugh at. I have been scolded numerous times for using poles.
People argue that they help widen the trail since the width of your body is now greater with the poles.
People also argue that they help shrink the trail since you are leaving holes in the ground for seeds to fall into (much like wearing golf shoes while mowing your lawn, or simply airating (sp?) your lawn).
People argue that the rough tips on the bottoms ruin rocks by leaving marks on them. They believe you should use the rubber covers that come with most poles.

lobster
03-02-2006, 15:40
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"> They give you a boost on the uphills and save the knees on the downhills. They definitely are an artificial help.

Yes, I would agree that you do get some work out in the upper body and the caloric output possibly remains close to the same in the end, but it still is a piece of equipment propelling you forward instead of just your legs and your arms swinging.
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Fiddler
03-02-2006, 15:45
Sleeping Bag - Taking the easy way out just because it's a little cold.
Sleeping Pad - Taking the easy way out just because there's rocks on the ground.
Tent, Tarp or Hammock cover - Taking the easy way out just because it's raining.
Stove - Taking the easy way out just because uncooked food tastes funny.
Backpack - Taking the easy way out just because you've got too much stuff to get in your pockets.
And so on. Yeah, Lobster, I agree with you. Let's all do it the hard way.

lilmountaingirl
03-02-2006, 16:10

You need to shut off the computer and go for a hike. I don't think I've ever read a positive post from you. Jack was right, you are a moosecock.:cool:

lobster
03-02-2006, 16:19
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"> I still think a moosecock is a positive attribute!</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Frosty
03-02-2006, 16:37
I found my 75 cent hiking stick worked much better in terms of balance and freedom from falls,?????

Much better?

How?

You walk with the aid of a 4 foot long support, and you tell me that it makes a difference that if you lean on a piece of wood you will fall less than if you lean on a piece of aluminum?

Should my mother turn in her aluminum walker? Lash one up made of wood?

What about aluminum crutches?

Know why they are made of aluminum? Because pound for pound aluminum is stronger than wood. Your 10-ounce branch is an accident waiting to happen. (But if you actually weigh it, I'm betting you will find a serviceable wooden walking stick weighs more than ten ounces.)

SGTdirtman
03-02-2006, 16:58
My opinion is probably invalid because I'm not a thru-hiker yet... I may or may not use poles when I do my thru-hike in 08' but having tried them a couple times on shorter section hikes I usually found them kinda annoying, I'd want to put them down alot and have to stop and strap them to my pack. I just flat out stopped using them. They seem to help when your tired or sore but otherwise I didnt find them to be a major must have item. I'll pick up a stick and wrap some 550 cord around it for a handle and use that and when I get tired just drop it. (taking my paracord back of course)

thats just my opinion, most hikers make fun of the way I hike anyway :-?

hiker5
03-02-2006, 17:03
They definitely are an artificial help...

... but it still is a piece of equipment propelling you forward instead of just your legs and your arms swinging.

Have hikers started using poles that run on petroleum products? Alcohol is more likely for the ultralights I suppose. Unless they have an external power source, I can't understand any argument that the poles are "propelling you forward". In essense you are distributing the effort to more of your muscles, but they are still <i>your</i> muscles.

I liked the earlier comparison to shoes.

lobster
03-02-2006, 17:13
If the trail was smooth enough, would a mountain bike be OK? It's still your effort!

RockyTrail
03-02-2006, 17:28
Backpacks are an artifical help to hiking. I mean, it's cheating; you're supposed to carry all your gear in your arms. And no sissy tents or sleeping bags, real hikers curl up in the dirt. Eyeglasses are not allowed either, if you can't see the white blazes you are supposed to touch every tree and feel them as you go by. And no water filters allowed, you're supposed to use your kidneys and liver only.

In fact, unless you're out there with only what God gave ya, and nuthin else, you're NOT a real hiker!
Shame on you, you're an AHH, "artifically helped hiker":D
...Now, where am I supposed to meet the support van?

trollin' for lobster:):)

the goat
03-02-2006, 17:29
If the trail was smooth enough, would a mountain bike be OK? It's still your effort!

one thing is for certain: you can't type your way from maine to georgia!:D

Moxie00
03-02-2006, 17:29
If we all liked the same ice cream Ben & Jerry could only make one flavor. We all hike different, carry different size loads, are different ages, sexes, sizes and styles. I am better off with hiking sticks, Lone Wolf is better without them and Weary likes wood. Little holes in the trail may cause erosion or may help airate the trail. Scratches on rocks happened long before hiking poles and will continue to happen as long as the earth keeps changing. The Applachians were once almost 30,000 feet tall and got worn down long before hiking poles. My point is that one style of hiking, with or without poles, is not right for everyone. Find how you hike best and do it. If you use poles you are no more right than someone who does not. You just have different styles and neither of you is more right or wrong.

weary
03-02-2006, 19:15
?????
Much better? How?
Two sticks kept getting in my way. Plus I didn't have a free hand to grab trees -- or my camera.

You walk with the aid of a 4 foot long support, and you tell me that it makes a difference that if you lean on a piece of wood you will fall less than if you lean on a piece of aluminum?
I think the difference may be one pole, vs two. But I don't claim to know for sure. I can report my experiences. I don't always know why they were good -- or bad. But I note that 19th century dairy farmers used three legged milking stools. They may have discovered that after evolving to use but two legs, one extra leg was still a benefit, but four were an encumbrance.

Should my mother turn in her aluminum walker? Lash one up made of wood?
We are talking trails and hikers. I'll talk old people medical needs when I get old!

What about aluminum crutches?.
See above

Know why they are made of aluminum? Because pound for pound aluminum is stronger than wood. Your 10-ounce branch is an accident waiting to happen. (But if you actually weigh it, I'm betting you will find a serviceable wooden walking stick weighs more than ten ounces.)
Well, I've weighed it several times. And I walked four miles with it this afternoon. I didn't fall. I used it to knock off a lot of dead branches that were intruding into the trail. I found it a delightful walk. I'm still awaiting the first accident after 16 years of using such instruments, while from time to time pondering the many reports praising Lekis for their willingness to fix broken poles and malfunctioning poles.

Weary

Programbo
03-02-2006, 19:27
3. Did the "old school" hikers employ them?

I hiked extensively all thru the 70`s and then sold and tested backpacking and mountaineering equipment for a living for 11 years and can not recall seeing anyone using "Hiking" or "Trekking" poles once..People must have been tougher then because I don`t recall us all falling out along the trail with broken ankles or blown knees or whatever and that was when people carried more weight in more primative packs..Perhaps the modern influx of internal frames is to blame for this seeming increase in ankle/knee problems I hear about as they make one walk in a less natural manner to counter balance the off center of gravity of the load

Mags
03-02-2006, 19:29
I'm a wimp who is cheap.

Never used Leki's and like using two sticks of some sort.

So I buy $10 used ski poles.

Skidsteer
03-02-2006, 19:31
I'm of the same opinion as Weary on this one:

Two sticks kept getting in my way. Plus I didn't have a free hand to grab trees -- or my camera.Weary

Or scratch an itch, or smoke a pipe/cig.... or goose my wife. :D

betic4lyf
03-02-2006, 19:45
just some questions. first it seems sort of weird to me. is it like nordic walking, because that is pretty goofy. i am used to skiing, but skate skiing, so it seems sort of annoying to use poles like that, and to coordinate myself with them. also, will poles chin high be a good point to try out, as i have a pair of xc pols in that size.

has anyone tried used xc poles, or at least grips, because they seem to be designed for the same thing?

Skidsteer
03-02-2006, 19:55
just some questions. first it seems sort of weird to me. is it like nordic walking, because that is pretty goofy. i am used to skiing, but skate skiing, so it seems sort of annoying to use poles like that, and to coordinate myself with them. also, will poles chin high be a good point to try out, as i have a pair of xc pols in that size.

has anyone tried used xc poles, or at least grips, because they seem to be designed for the same thing?

Story I heard is that the idea of "Trekking poles" started because some bright guy/gal decided to try their ski poles on a trail without snow.

I have a set but use them infrequently; when I do use them I adjust them to just above waist level. Pretty much whatever you prefer is "correct".

AbeHikes
03-02-2006, 22:46
Seems to me it's like the difference between 4WD and 2WD, but you get to stand more upright. I know it helps me on the hills and I like the workout it gives my triceps.

hiker5
03-02-2006, 23:16

Have you ever tried to coast the downhills with trekking poles? Me neither, but I get the feeling it wouldn't be pretty. Clearly not the same thing.

Wolfpaw
03-02-2006, 23:21
Ha Ha you said moosecock

hiker5
03-02-2006, 23:30

I meant to include this comment in my last post, but this one will work just as well.

I'm not trying to define what is "OK" for hikers to use (although with a bicycle he would no longer be a hiker, but a cyclist). If a hiker prefers poles for speed, balance, knees or anything else, by all means use them. If a hiker feels that poles are only for wusses and the decrepit, he should feel free to hike with out them.

Lobster, I don't understand your need to attempt to incite controversy at every turn. Have you nothing better to do?

betic4lyf
03-02-2006, 23:37
most people hear hike to have fun, and if poles help them do that, then there is nothing wrong to use them, as long as they don't harm others (no meth labs :) and if you have more fun biking, then do it. the only reason not to is fear of being not called a hiker, which is inconsequential, if all you want to do is have fun

ZanneGarland
05-13-2006, 23:35
This is INTERESTING, Wolfpaw who now calls hiking poles "sissy sticks" was once CONSIDERING using them... hmmmm ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-14-2006, 00:06
I used a single wooden hiking staff for years - we got a matching pair of 'spirit sticks' as wedding presents. It has had the crutch tip replaced numerous times. The male dino still uses his. I have to use two aluminum offset canes today - they weight nearly a pound each :( - but they are very strong and they allow me to hike. I'm thinking that the same things that bother me about the canes - in the way a lot, cumbersome to keep up with, and always falling in water / mud - would apply to trekking poles as well.

weary
05-22-2006, 22:53
Here's a perspective on hiking poles by three experts:

Trekking Poles: Can You Save Your Knees and the Environment?

By Jeffrey L. Marion, Teresa A. Martinez, and Robert D. Proudman

Introduction

In his 1968 classic The Complete Walker, Colin Fletcher sang accolades to his trusted walking staff, noting that it transformed him “from an insecure biped into a confident triped.” He used his staff for balance and assistance in walking, something to lean on during breaks, reconnoitering for rattlesnakes, as a fishing rod substitute, and to knock rainwater from overhanging branches. Today’s technologically advanced trekking poles have been replacing such traditional hiking sticks and their use has dramatically expanded. Leki, the leading pole manufacturer, reports that while originally designed for older hikers, 70 percent of current purchases are by individuals 25 to 45 years old. Sales data and use statistics are unavailable but their use has increased dramatically in the U.S. over the past five years, trends that many expect will continue. Trekking poles have a longer history of use in European countries. Our informal polling (pun intended) within the Appalachian Trail community suggests that trekking poles are currently used by 90–95 percent of thru-hikers, 30–50 percent of short-term backpackers, and 10–15 percent of day hikers.

The increasing use of trekking poles has stimulated a growing awareness of some environmental and social impacts associated with their use, as reflected by an increasing number of “letters to editors” in magazines and e-mail traffic within the A.T. community. Those impacts have not been documented or described in the scientific literature. This article reviews the impacts of trekking pole use to provide a basis for further dialogue, and suggests how they may be altered or used in ways that will minimize impact. We also briefly describe trekking pole features and the pros and cons of their use.

Trekking Pole Features

Modern trekking poles consist of hollow, aluminum alloy tubes, which often telescope to allow compact storage and length adjustments for different users and changing terrain. At the top are ergonomic grips with adjustable wrist straps, at the base most have pointed tips of long-wearing tungsten carbide and plastic baskets to prevent deep penetration in snow or soft soil. The baskets are removable and are often available in different sizes and shapes. A rubber foot cap intended for hard surfaces, like pavement, comes with or can be purchased for most poles. Some poles incorporate springs, providing an anti-shock feature to reduce jarring on rocks or hard terrain.
Pros and Cons for Pole Users

Trekking poles provide stability in difficult terrain and stream crossings. One study found that balance was significantly enhanced by their use, so poles could help avoid injuries from falls. Some weight is transferred from users’ legs to the poles, relieving stress and possible injury to the lower back, knees, and ankles. They are a particular aid when climbing and descending hills. For example, another study reported that a typical hiker would transfer 13 tons per hour with two poles in flat terrain, 28 tons when ascending and 34 tons when descending. However, trekking poles do not reduce energy expenditures while hiking. A treadmill study showed that metabolic energy expenditures were shifted from leg to arm muscles, with no net change overall. Cardiovascular demands increased but subjects perceived their level of exertion to be lower. Poles also allowed backpackers to adopt more normal walking postures and stride lengths.

Disadvantages include their cost, ranging from $40 to $250 per pair. The poles can get in the way or be a nuisance when you need to use your hands to get something out of a pack, scramble over large rocks, or ascend a steep pitch. Finally, their added weight when not in use and the vigilance needed to guard against theft are other considerations.

Potential Environmental and Social Impacts

Despite thorough searches of the scientific literature and Internet Web sites, we were unable to locate any research that has investigated the environmental and social impacts of trekking poles. Furthermore, while there are numerous Website reviews of trekking poles, very few mention those issues and none provide more than a cursory comment. There have been some “Letters to the Editor” published in the Appalachian Trailway News (ATN), and there has been some e-mail traffic on those topics—both of which we share in this section. It is therefore important to note that our descriptions are based on personal observations, extrapolations from other visitor impact studies, and speculation regarding the “potential” impacts of trekking pole use.

Vegetation Impacts—Trailside vegetation can be damaged from the swinging action of trekking poles, particularly from contact with the baskets, which can get caught in low-growing plants. One North Carolina hiker noted in an e-mail to ATC that “the ground was becoming torn up by spiked walking poles. On the uphill side of the trail, moss and wild flowers were torn from their bedding. On the downside of the trail, parts of the trail were also torn away.” The potential consequences of such damage include a reduction or loss of vegetation cover, change in vegetation composition, and trail widening. We also note that trail maintainers generally trim only higher, overhanging vegetation, that is unaffected by trekking pole use.

Soil Impacts—A number of soil impacts could result from repeated contact and penetration by trekking pole tips. In wet or loose soils, pole tips can penetrate up to two inches and leave holes one-half inch in diameter. These holes are often V-shaped, wider at the top due to the swing of the upper pole once the tip is embedded in soil. Under some conditions, we have also seen soil lifted by pole tips and dropped on the ground surface. In a letter to the ATN, a Virginia hiker observed that trekking pole use has become nearly universal and that “These things are tearing up the trail on each side of the footpath. Some places look like they have been freshly plowed.”
Potential soil impacts from such disturbance include the loss of organic litter and exposure of soil and increased erosion and muddiness. Research is needed to document if, and to what extent, pole use could increase rates of erosion. Muddiness could develop following rainfall, when surface water runoff fills the holes created by pole tips. The increased water and soil contact in areas with high densities of holes could turn trailsides to mud, as often occurs on horse trails when water fills hoof prints. Trails that are outsloped for water drainage would not prevent such muddiness; water bars and drainage dips would prevent muddiness only on the downhill sides of trails.

Rock Impacts—The carbide tips on trekking poles leave visually obvious white scratch marks on rock surfaces and also damage lichens. A hiker in Maine related in an ATN letter that “the scratching is so pronounced on granite surfaces that it is sometimes easier to follow where the poles have been than to locate a white blaze.… [T]he scratching is something I vividly remember from my hike, so remarking about it is justified.” In an opinion letter to Backpacker magazine’s Web site, a hiker in the Adirondack’s reported that “I was upset to see all the rocks had little white marks on them. Not just a rock here or there, but all the rocks on the trail were chipped by hundreds of people... It got to the point where I could not concentrate on anything else but these thousands of little white gashes in the rocks I was stepping on. It really left a bad taste in my mouth and a grim look to the future.”

Aesthetic/Social Impacts—As demonstrated by the previous quotes from hikers, the environmental impacts of trekking poles also can be visually obtrusive to trail users. For some hikers this new form of visual impact “takes away from my experience because I feel like someone just walked by there a few minutes ago…bye-bye wilderness.” Significant impacts from heavy pole use could even make the trail more difficult to use or increase maintenance work and costs. The audible scraping noises that trekking poles make when used on hard surfaces can also be an irritant to fellow hikers. One Internet Newsgroup correspondent likened the sound to “’fingernails on a chalkboard’ when crossing rock surfaces.” Collectively, these impacts have the potential to trigger conflict between trail users, much the same as conflicts between different types of trail users (e.g., hikers, horseback riders, and mountain bike riders).

Discussion and Leave No Trace Practices

In deciding to write about what appears to be a growing and popular practice, we recognize the potential controversy we may stimulate. However, a problem must be identified before it can be resolved, and better understood and mitigated. Some amount of resource impact is an inevitable consequence of nearly every form of recreational activity, including hiking without poles. Trekking poles may be viewed as essential by older hikers or those with weaker knees or other health limitations. For visitors in good health and condition, trekking poles can provide greater stability and safety in rough terrain, permit longer hikes, or reduce strain and soreness of the lower extremities.

Trekking pole users can help minimize resource and social impacts by considering the Leave No Trace (LNT) pole-use practices we suggest in the adjacent box. Hikers may find trekking poles to be indispensable for some hikes, or portions of hikes, but consider stowing them in flat terrain or when their use causes obvious environmental impacts. We expect that vegetation, soil, and rock damage could be substantially reduced by removing pole baskets and using blunt rubber tips. We question the need for baskets in conditions other than snow. Although rubber tips will wear off and may become trail litter, we consider this an acceptable cost for the benefits achieved in reducing resource impacts.

Pole manufacturers also can help. Alternative “environment-friendly” designs could be investigated and developed. In particular, designs with blunted tips that limit ground penetration, avoid marring rocks, and preserve the natural quiet are needed. Many poles are already sold with rubber tips attached and baskets unattached—product literature should stress that basket use is optional and rubber tips are recommended for standard use. Tip wear should be monitored so they can be replaced before falling off in use. Finally, we emphasize the need for more research to investigate trekking pole impacts and the potential reduction in impact by alternative product designs and use practices.

Jeff Marion, Ph.D., is a research biologist with the U.S. Geological Survey who studies visitor impacts to National Parks and other protected areas. Teresa Martinez is an associate regional representative with the Appalachian Trail Conference; and Bob Proudman is ATC director of trail management programs.

How to "Leave No TRace"

1. Use poles responsibly. Be sensitive to the potential environmental and social impacts of pole use. Avoid or minimize damage to vegetation, soils, and rock.

2. Use rubber tips when possible. Carbide tips scar rocks, can be noisy and leave holes in soft soils.

3. Remove baskets unless traveling in snow. Pole baskets catch and can damage vegetation and are rarely needed.

4. Minimize pole use. Evaluate whether you need poles for a particular hike or for all sections (e.g., flat or sensitive terrain) during your hike.

MrSparex
05-23-2006, 00:23
I use to hike with nothing but a fig leaf to cover my privates...but after I grabbed a trekking pole from a hiker to fight off a bear...
(pull off the rubber tip and it's a point)
...I decided to take the easy way out and walk with hiking sticks...
I'm now even considering wearing some kind of footwear also.

rgarling
05-23-2006, 08:33
Proposing solutions to problems that may not exist is more of a political behavior than an expert behavior.

weary
05-23-2006, 17:16
Proposing solutions to problems that may not exist is more of a political behavior than an expert behavior.
I guess it depends on what conditions one considers "problems." A lot of us have observed things we perceive as problems caused by hiking poles. No one has done a scientific evaluation of such perceptions. But they are so common it is hard to believe they don't exist. The piece reports a cross section of such perceptions and suggests a variety of "leave no trace" solutions.

Regardless. It will be interesting to see what the geologist finds as he studies hiking pole impact at Acadia National Park. Acadia is not an ideal site for such studies. Much of the topsoil burned away during forest fires near 60 years ago. Rock scratches may be seen. But deep "tilled soil" along trails is most common in my experience in the deep soils of the southern Appalachians.

Weary

JoeHiker
05-24-2006, 11:45
Lobster, I don't understand your need to attempt to incite controversy at every turn. Have you nothing better to do?

A cursory search of his posting history will reveal that no, he does not have anything better to do.

TOW
05-24-2006, 17:38
I've tried them RIT. I just don't need them. I'm a naturally strong, fast backpacker.your naturally full of crap is what you are you old goat.........

TOW
05-24-2006, 17:45
the only thing that really bothers me about my leki's is when i am going up hill i need to shorten them and when i go down i need to lengthen them. i was thinking just the other day of looking into the inner worikings to see if i can revise a way to do this more quickly

mtnbums2000
05-24-2006, 19:05
When I first started hiking on the A.T. in the early to mid 90's I don't recall seeing alot of people hiking with trekking poles. Now don't get me wrong there were people using them but not near as many as today.

Anyways I always thought they would be cumbersome so for many years I said no to trekking poles. In 2000 I was hiking from Springer to Davenport Gap and I noticed ALOT of thru-hikers using trekking poles. I had this conversation with a thru-hiker at the "Hilton" about his trekking poles and he said they were great for his old knees on the downhills. I still thought they would just get in my way as I was doing 20+ miles back then cause I was young and everything I done back then was more for the challenge then anything else.

Jump foward two years (2002) after ACL (knee) surgery and more like 15 miles a day at the most. I done minimal hiking in 2001 because my knee would kill me and then I thought about the conversation with the guy at the "Hilton". So I went out and bought a pair and it took me a while to get use to them (actually Im still not use to them). I mostly use them on steep downhills when I'm hiking in the rain but on occasion I get in a rythm and find my-self doing several miles with them. My point is (if I even have one) they are not for everyone but everyone who has them has their own reason for owning a pair. Mine is I have bad knees and the poles ease the pain somewhat. This year when I hike the JMT I'm going to try to use them as much as possible to see rather or not I will need them on the AT in 07.

Hike your on hike...buy them if you are thinking about using them and if all else fells sell them on e-bay.

Happy Trails

Skyline
05-25-2006, 10:45
As someone who has done trail (and now, shelter) maintenance--I'm thinking a trekking pole that "destroys" vegetation along the edges of a trail could be a silver lining. Maintainers spend countless hours weed-whacking just to keep that vegetation down so as not to encroach on the footpath. Hikers using Leki poles actually do us a favor, where their use has an affect on weeds.

I have seen, while hiking, very sporadic evidence that heavy usage of trekking poles will be present on the edges of trails. This happens seasonally, but does not seem to present a lasting impression. The soil seems to self-heal over time.

IMHO this is a big non-issue.

c.coyle
05-25-2006, 13:14
It sounds weird, but since I had a major leg injury in 3/2004, I've been using poles less and less. I use them on steep downhills, extremely rocky sections, and for fording streams. Otherwise, I find myself just carrying them. I actually think my balance is better without them, but it's probably all in my head.

Amigi'sLastStand
05-25-2006, 14:04
AMEN!!!! Never

Amigi'sLastStand
05-25-2006, 14:05
AMEN!!!! Never
Amen Never heard it put better. (Dang KB freaked out on me and 'entered' on its own)

warren doyle
05-26-2006, 10:39
I use only one pole, usually obtained for $1 or less at a thrift store. One usually lasts me an entire thru-hike.
I have recently purchased a 'Leki-style' ski pole at Walmart for under $10 and will field-test it this summer on the John Muir Trail and the AT in Maine/NH.

mtnbums2000
05-26-2006, 12:37
Warren when are u hiking the JMT this summer?

warren doyle
05-26-2006, 13:30
My wife (Terry) and I will be going north to south starting around July 3rd.
We could use a ride from Reno airport on July 2nd if anyone out there can help.

Sly
05-26-2006, 13:57
My wife (Terry) and I will be going north to south starting around July 3rd.
We could use a ride from Reno airport on July 2nd if anyone out there can help.

If you can't find a ride, you can always take the CREST. If you're hiking southbound, you can get to Yosemite Valley from Lee Vining.

http://www.inyo3d.org/Frameset/crest.htm

mtnbums2000
05-26-2006, 13:59
I could possibly pick you guys up...I will send you an e-mail.