PDA

View Full Version : 100 Mile Wilderness

spfleisig
06-04-2019, 14:07
What are the mile markers for the top and bottom of the HMW?
What are the names of the closest shelters near the bottom and the top?

If one was to drive to Maine, where could they leave a car for four nights while they do the HMW?

Thanks

MuddyWaters
06-04-2019, 15:01
Park in Monson, have Shaws shuttle you to abol bridge

Park where they suggest.

Everything else in guidebook

peakbagger
06-04-2019, 17:06
You are going to be trail running if you plan to do it in 5 days.

spfleisig
06-04-2019, 17:22
Park in Monson, have Shaws shuttle you to abol bridge

Park where they suggest.

Everything else in guidebook

25 years of adventure racing experience prepares one well to go for long stretches moving faster than normal in the woods :)

Slo-go'en
06-04-2019, 18:03
25 years of adventure racing experience prepares one well to go for long stretches moving faster than normal in the woods :)

Ditto on park at Shaws. Going SOBO has the advantage of getting back to the car on your terms.

There's a shelter with in a few miles of either end. Leeman Brook at 3 miles north of Monson and Hurd Brook, 3.5 miles south of Abol Bridge.

Sounds like your going unsupported. Little hard to run with a full pack, but you only need to do about 20 miles a day, which is basically every other shelter.

TJ aka Teej
06-04-2019, 20:49
If you're doing it in 5 days you'll be skipping the first and last shelters.

Slo-go'en
06-04-2019, 23:39
If you're doing it in 5 days you'll be skipping the first and last shelters.

I figure he'd want to go to the first shelter in on day 0, the day he arrives from where ever, which would be in the afternoon.

I'm guessing he wants to fit this into a week. 2 days of travel and 5 days of hiking. So, getting 3 miles in first thing allows him to start off bright and early on day 1.

spfleisig
06-05-2019, 08:44
Ditto on park at Shaws. Going SOBO has the advantage of getting back to the car on your terms.

There's a shelter with in a few miles of either end. Leeman Brook at 3 miles north of Monson and Hurd Brook, 3.5 miles south of Abol Bridge.

Sounds like your going unsupported. Little hard to run with a full pack, but you only need to do about 20 miles a day, which is basically every other shelter.

No running for me during this outing.

map man
06-05-2019, 09:25
The north end is at SOBO mile 15.4, NOBO mile 2176.6. (where the trail intersects with the Golden Road)
The south end is at SOBO mile 114.5, NOBO mile 2077.5. (where the trail intersects with ME 15)
Leeman Brook Lean-to is 3.0 miles from the south end.
Hurd Brook Lean-to is 3.2 miles from the north end.

tdoczi
06-05-2019, 11:02
You are going to be trail running if you plan to do it in 5 days.
the OP doesnt say when this will take place, but lets assume july 1st.

in millinocket on july 1st the sun rises at 4:49am and sets at 8:28pm.

lets assume not awakening before dawn and wanting to set up camp before dark.

so lets say workable daylight is 5:30am until 7:30pm.

thats 14 hours.

20 miles in 14 hours comes to 1.42 MPH. running???? i suppose if you spend half of those 14 hours taking breaks. maybe.

spfleisig
06-05-2019, 11:42
the OP doesnt say when this will take place, but lets assume july 1st.

in millinocket on july 1st the sun rises at 4:49am and sets at 8:28pm.

lets assume not awakening before dawn and wanting to set up camp before dark.

so lets say workable daylight is 5:30am until 7:30pm.

thats 14 hours.

20 miles in 14 hours comes to 1.42 MPH. running???? i suppose if you spend half of those 14 hours taking breaks. maybe.

I generally hike at 2.7mph (in Northern NJ, Southern NY, Northern CT, Southern MA) so I'll need 37 hours to get 100 miles. Shouldn't be a problem with five days scheduled.

TurboWells
06-05-2019, 14:03
I generally hike at 2.7mph (in Northern NJ, Southern NY, Northern CT, Southern MA) so I'll need 37 hours to get 100 miles. Shouldn't be a problem with five days scheduled.

I looked at my stops last year through the 100mw. I did it in six days. That was with two part days (waiting for food drop at Jo Mary and a nero to slow down to make my reservation at KSC) and some additional swimming stops. A physical specimen I am not. I did have superb weather.

I can't imagine five days isn't more than enough with your experience. There will have to be some longer and shorter hiking days so you can hit camping areas at the end of the day.