PDA

View Full Version : Louisville, Ky to Harpers Ferry, WV

Rightfoot
06-04-2019, 17:23
I was curious if anyone had first hand info/experience for traveling from the Louisville, KY area to Harpers Ferry. How did you do it and what were the upsides/pitfalls? I'd rather avoid flying due to cost and restrictions. If you have experience traveling from the Baltimore/DC area into Harpers Ferry that would be helpful also. Trains, shuttle experiences etc.

Looking at Google, it looks like a rental car to one of the major airports is the best then what do you suggest?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Slo-go'en
06-04-2019, 17:33
There is likely a bus to Washington DC, then Amtrak will get you the rest of the way for $12. You arrive at HF a little after 5 PM. if you hussle, it's possible to hike to the neariest shelter (NOBO or SOBO) before dark, but you'd probaby be better off staying at one of the Hostels and start in the morning.

ScottTrip
06-04-2019, 19:52
Easy. I was hiking the AT in 2014 and traveled back to Louisville to reverse the process. Fly to BWI Airport, then take to train right out of the airport to Harpers Ferry. Then get right back on the trail.

chknfngrs
06-04-2019, 22:10
If I am following you correctly, you’re interested in renting a car in KY?! You could return it to DCA (Reagan). From there, use the metro (www.wmata.com) to ride into Union Station, and from Union Station take Amtrak to Harper’s Ferry. Did I do that in accordance with the OP?

Portie
06-05-2019, 00:59
Easy. I was hiking the AT in 2014 and traveled back to Louisville to reverse the process. Fly to BWI Airport, then take to train right out of the airport to Harpers Ferry. Then get right back on the trail.

The train is not direct from BWI. You have to take a train to Union Station, DC first and then on to Harper's Ferry. The trains are both Amtrak and MARC (Maryland commuter rail) depending upon the time of day and day of the week.

Harper's Ferry is about a 50 minute drive from IAD (Dulles International).

Portie
06-05-2019, 01:00
If I am following you correctly, you’re interested in renting a car in KY?! You could return it to DCA (Reagan). From there, use the metro (www.wmata.com (http://www.wmata.com)) to ride into Union Station, and from Union Station take Amtrak to Harper’s Ferry. Did I do that in accordance with the OP?

Some of the rental car companies have facilities at Union Station as well. There is also an Amtrak option to Louisville via Pittsburg and switch to the local train in Frederick, MD.

ScottTrip
06-05-2019, 12:48
Portie Thanks for reminding me. I forgot about the 2nd train, it is still a pretty easy trip.