PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Good Overnight Recommendations

jawilson20
03-02-2006, 15:53
I have just gotten in to backpacking (got all my gear). I am in Atlanta so I am interested in anywhere N GA, SE TN, or WNC. I dont want to go all the way to the Smokies for just an overnight trip.

I am looking to get out this weekend for an overnight trip Saturday. Hoping to do about 10-12 miles each day out and back or a loop if possible. I have bought a few guide books but not really sure where to start. Also I plan to tent so there is no need to stick to shelters.

Thanks in advance!

Skidsteer
03-02-2006, 17:53
I have just gotten in to backpacking (got all my gear). I am in Atlanta so I am interested in anywhere N GA, SE TN, or WNC. I dont want to go all the way to the Smokies for just an overnight trip.

I am looking to get out this weekend for an overnight trip Saturday. Hoping to do about 10-12 miles each day out and back or a loop if possible. I have bought a few guide books but not really sure where to start. Also I plan to tent so there is no need to stick to shelters.

Thanks in advance!

You could always start at the beginning. Park at Amicalola, hike to Springer, camp. Next day you can hike back via the Len Foote inn side trail that rejoins the approach trail. It's well within your mileage preferences. Enjoy!

Footslogger
03-02-2006, 17:59
Drive up to Neels Gap and hike in on the Byron trail and then pick up the Freeman trail (blue blaze) over to Bird Gap and then up Blood. Stay on Blood Mtn and then hike back down the next day on the AT. It intersects with the Byron trail and you can drop down and pick up your car.

'Slogger

Bilko
03-02-2006, 18:20
jawilson20, I did what you are talking about. I lived in Atlanta and decided to hike the AT. My problem was there was no way I could take off 5-6 months. I started hiking sections of the trail starting with the approach trail. I would park my car and do out and backs. I found where all the Forest Service roads crossed the AT, and made my progress slowly. I then started camping out and walking back to the car. I have made it to Pearlisburg, VA by section hiking. If you go to Trailjournals.com you can see my progress and where I parked, etc. Look until sectional hikers: Bilko. My belief is, if you want to do it, you will find a way. I have enjoyed my section hiking experiences and look forward every year to add to my AT mileage. Trailjournals and Whiteblaze add to that enjoyment. Good Luck.

The Solemates
03-02-2006, 18:22
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9583

post 9 for report.

jawilson20
03-02-2006, 21:06
Thanks for the advice. It seems that the consensus is the Blood Mountain area.

I plan to hike out of Vogel State Park Saturday morning on the Coosa Backcountry Trail. I am going to hike it counterclockwise to Slaugher Mountain where I plan to continue on the Duncan Ridge Trail to Blood Mountain then backtract to Slaughter Gap where I can hike the Coosa back to Vogel.

Any comments on this? Where would be a good camp site halfway or more?

Skidsteer
03-02-2006, 21:13
Thanks for the advice. It seems that the consensus is the Blood Mountain area.

I plan to hike out of Vogel State Park Saturday morning on the Coosa Backcountry Trail. I am going to hike it counterclockwise to Slaugher Mountain where I plan to continue on the Duncan Ridge Trail to Blood Mountain then backtract to Slaughter Gap where I can hike the Coosa back to Vogel.

Any comments on this? Where would be a good camp site halfway or more?

Tough hike in the beginning:D , and the A. T. no longer goes thru Slaughter gap. There are tent pads near the foot of Blood. Have fun!

jawilson20
03-02-2006, 22:21
Interesting. I didnt think that it was the AT that went from Slaughter to Blood, but rather the Duncan Ridge Trail. Can someone verify that this route is possible?

I selected these trails because of the traffic I am expecting on the AT.

Skidsteer
03-02-2006, 22:36
Interesting. I didnt think that it was the AT that went from Slaughter to Blood, but rather the Duncan Ridge Trail. Can someone verify that this route is possible?

I selected these trails because of the traffic I am expecting on the AT.

Slaughter Gap is closed. Well, you can still go there; in fact you can still see it from some parts of the DRT in winter. But all trails have been rerouted around it to allow it to regenerate(big-time overuse).

The route you propose will still work; you just won't go through Slaughter Gap.:)

Note: I see from your profile that you are young and I presume you are reasonably fit. If you are in doubt about your hiking abilities(none of my business!), and are set on seeing Blood Mtn., I'd suggest Footslogger's route from earlier in the thread. If you are in decent shape and are used to carrying a pack, hiking the Coosa counter-clockwise is "interesting" but no biggie. Have fun! I might see you out there.

jawilson20
03-02-2006, 22:45
I feel that I am capable. Also if it turns out I bight off more than I can chew I can always scratch the Blood Mountain plans and head back to Vogel.

2Ply
03-02-2006, 23:18
For a listing of trails in Ga. check out http://www.georgiahikes.com . Not a lot of activity on the site, but a great trail data base with listings of loops and connecting trail systems.

jawilson20
03-05-2006, 19:36
Thanks for all the input. Had a great hike this weekend. Me and my girlfriend camped out on Coosa Bald last night and hiked back to the part today.

neo
03-05-2006, 19:50
one of my favorite places not to far from you is talledega natonal forest near ga/al state line,awesome:cool: neo

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/location/ga/atlanta_stars10.htm

http://www.hmtc.org/