PDA

View Full Version : Loop trail?

Ender
03-02-2006, 16:26
Hey,

Here's a question for you NY and NJ people out there. Any good loop trails or combination of trails out there worth hiking in the area? Could include a section of the AT, but doesn't have to.

Preferably it would be within easy access to public transportation (bus, train, etc...). I've done the Metro North to the AT, which is great, but you end up having to backtrack back to the train (or leave at a point further down the trail close to a bus, which I've also done). Not terrible at all, just looking for something different. Looking for weekend length trails.

Thanks.

lilmountaingirl
03-02-2006, 16:48
What kind of miles are you looking for?

Have you thought about PA? Nice loop trails there...Chuck Keiper, John P. Saylor, Thunderswamp, Pinchot, Black Forest, Donut Hole... :)

Ender
03-02-2006, 17:19
Hm... I'd say it depends on how lazy I'm feeling. I'd say, maybe a few miles out on a Friday night, 2-3, 10-15 miles on Saturday for a nice easy hike, and maybe another 10+ miles on Sunday back to complete the loop. 25-35 miles total. Could be less, could be more. Just looking for options.

Did a trip to DWG in PA to revisit the gap and hike up to Sunfish pond. Pretty up there. I like PA. Really pretty hiking. I'll have to check out those trails... not too familiar with them. Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Cosmo
03-03-2006, 21:44
Check out Metro North to Wassaic. It's within striking distance of Mt Frissel, Alander, etc on the South Taconic Crest Trail. This can link w/AT in Mt Washington (town) Mass. Nice hiking, but getting to trailheads might be tricky. NY/NJ Trail Conference <http://www.nynjtc.org/> has maps and advice.

Cosmo

jaywalke
03-04-2006, 21:38
When I was stuck in NYC, Harriman/Bear Mountain state park kept me sane. You can take the train out of Hoboken up to the west side of the park, hike across (the Ramapo trail? I gave away my maps when I escaped) 40 miles to the Bear Mtn Inn (chow at the Sunday buffet) and take a bus back to Grand Central. It's a great 3-day hike. You can make shorter trips by taking train & bus combos to Tuxedo and other small towns on the west side of Harriman. There are 200+ miles of trail in that park, and all kinds of loop possibilities. There are shelters in the park that are not on the AT, and some are really under-used.

Buy the maps at www.nynjtc.org. They also have great maps of Storm King (close to a train line) and Schunemunk, places I highly recommend.

If you can get to the Shawangunks, a little further north, you are set for many weekends.