PDA

View Full Version : anti-Semitism in Damascus?

Dr. John
06-07-2019, 21:55
Searching Southern Poverty Law Center's website I noticed a symbol for a Neo-Nazi organization on their hate map near Damascus. Searching further, it seems that the head of the National Alliance lives near Laurel Bloomery, Tennessee, which is about six miles south of Damascus. It therefore seems that the incident involving the owners of Hey Joe's, may reflect a greater local issue. Check out these links:

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2018/08/17/head-national-alliance-will-white-williams-convicted-attacking-employee

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/group/national-alliance

Also I have read in the past of police claiming what appear to be a hate crimes as drug deals gone bad. Check this out:

https://jewishjournal-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/jewishjournal.com/blogs/keepingthefaith/241655/remembering-alfred-wright/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQDoAEA#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.googl e.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fjewishjournal.com%2Fblogs%2 Fkeepingthefaith%2F241655%2Fremembering-alfred-wright%2F

Maineiac64
06-07-2019, 22:05
Yes, antisemitism is a thing in a lot of places, sadly.

MuddyWaters
06-07-2019, 22:15
I think if you look at history of jewish people and their treatment for past 2000 yrs

The idea of "anti-semitism" in US today is totally laughable by comparison. Lets just say....never was real popular in europe.. .anywhere..US was only place that welcomed them

Maineiac64
06-07-2019, 22:20
I think if you look at history of jewish people and their treatment for past 2000 yrs

The idea of "anti-semitism" in US today is totally laughable by comparison. Lets just say....never was real popular in europe...US was only place that welcomed them
Its not funny.

tdoczi
06-07-2019, 22:56
Searching Southern Poverty Law Center's website I noticed a symbol for a Neo-Nazi organization on their hate map near Damascus. Searching further, it seems that the head of the National Alliance lives near Laurel Bloomery, Tennessee, which is about six miles south of Damascus. It therefore seems that the incident involving the owners of Hey Joe's, may reflect a greater local issue. Check out these links:

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2018/08/17/head-national-alliance-will-white-williams-convicted-attacking-employee

Also I have read in the past of police claiming what appear to be a hate crimes as drug deals gone bad. Check this out:

https://jewishjournal-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/jewishjournal.com/blogs/keepingthefaith/241655/remembering-alfred-wright/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQDoAEA#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.googl e.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fjewishjournal.com%2Fblogs%2 Fkeepingthefaith%2F241655%2Fremembering-alfred-wright%2F

dont know if there is a hate group in damascus or not, but why I **DO** know is this- the SPLC isn't anyone i look to for any sort of reliable information on much of anything.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-southern-poverty-law-center-has-lost-all-credibility/2018/06/21/22ab7d60-756d-11e8-9780-b1dd6a09b549_story.html?utm_term=.0f3e1e4c607c

they may have once been a good organization. maybe. i dont know the history. but if it was thats all long gone.

MuddyWaters
06-07-2019, 23:27
Its not funny.
If you want everyone to like you, your never going to be happy. They never will. Doesnt matter who you are, what you are, where you are. If all you do is fret over this.....what a miserable existence you will have.

You will find hate all over, from smallest towns to largest cities, so im not sure what point is. To malign a trail community for a defunct group that was once located nearby?

Lone Wolf
06-08-2019, 06:16
there's no "hate groups" in Damascus. that incident at Hey Joes was blown way out of proportion

Maineiac64
06-08-2019, 06:28
If you want everyone to like you, your never going to be happy. They never will. Doesnt matter who you are, what you are, where you are. If all you do is fret over this.....what a miserable existence you will have.
You will find hate all over, from smallest towns to largest cities, so im not sure what point is. To malign a trail community for a defunct group that was once located nearby?

I never maligned a trail community. I “fretted” over your minimization of current anti-semitism and the idea of it being inconsequential and humorous. It is sad to know that this behavior exists and is looked upon so dismissively. On balance however, I am quite happy, thanks for caring.

Dr. John
06-08-2019, 07:35
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein

GaryM
06-08-2019, 08:11
Maybe we should ask Jussie Smollet his opinion on this?
Tawanna Brawley?
Maajid Nawaz?
Gavin McInnes?

MuddyWaters
06-08-2019, 08:45
I never maligned a trail community. I “fretted” over your minimization of current anti-semitism and the idea of it being inconsequential and humorous. It is sad to know that this behavior exists and is looked upon so dismissively. On balance however, I am quite happy, thanks for caring.

Anti-everything exists.
And it always will on some low level. And it is a very very low level today.

Its not limited to rural VA, NYC is a biggest offender.
Nothing new here at all.

What you find sad is just reality of humans. Dont know how to help you with that.

Rain Man
06-08-2019, 08:54
Really? A political opinion piece cited as authority? LOL

dont know if there is a hate group in damascus or not, but why I **DO** know is this- the SPLC isn't anyone i look to for any sort of reliable information on much of anything.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-southern-poverty-law-center-has-lost-all-credibility/2018/06/21/22ab7d60-756d-11e8-9780-b1dd6a09b549_story.html?utm_term=.0f3e1e4c607c

they may have once been a good organization. maybe. i dont know the history. but if it was thats all long gone.

MuddyWaters
06-08-2019, 11:38
Many (most!?) times these groups have an agenda
That agenda, is simply for leadership to make money off a sympathetic group. Tell them what they want to hear, rouse them up, secure donations. Get rich, Repeat when things calm down .

You can think of several quasi-political leaders who have made their career doing this im sure. They pop up out if woodwork when isolated events occur, just to take advantage of free publicity

Dogwood
06-08-2019, 16:30
SPLC is an activist political hate group not to be trusted as a source of objectivity. It seeks to silence other groups that don't share SPLC's liberal biases by labeling those groups as hate groups. This is a politically slanted thread which has little to nothing to do with hiking or Damascus VA.

Dr. John
06-08-2019, 17:40
A couple of months before the incident in Damascus, I met a thru-hiker in his mid-seventies. He was white, from Georgia with an accent so thick one would swear he never stepped out of his hometown. Before he retired, he worked for a legal firm (in Georgia) affiated with SPLC. During the Civil Rights movement of the '60's one of his colleagues at the law firm was assassinated. When he retired he became a Methodist minister. Unfortunately we were headed in opposite directions. I would have loved to spend some time with him. He was certainly one of the best of the best on the Appalachian Trail.

The legal team at SPLC works for donations, earning a small fraction of what they could make elsewhere. They have the talent to win cases at the decidedly right-wing Supreme Court. Indeed, they make much less than people like Rudy Gulliani, and have considerably more talent.

Anyone who has read "A Walk in the Woods" is aware of the hate-crime/murder of two lesbians on the AT. Apparently a few think that thru-hikers should not be made aware of the leader of a hate organization, who has a record of violence, living near the AT.

Yes hate is everywhere, but I remember a time when the AT was a community of brotherhood/sisterhood. We looked out for each other. That's why some of us keep coming back.

There are many incredible people who hike the AT, or lend support. No doubt some live in Damascus. But let's keep this community one we can be proud of.

MuddyWaters
06-08-2019, 18:40
Apparently a few think that thru-hikers should not be made aware of the leader of a hate organization, who has a record of violence, living near the AT.

I think you failed to read the title, and grasps the link that was attempted to be made , between an reportedly defunct non-operating organization, and the community of Damascus, based on an isolated incident that involved name calling and a shove.

Huntmog
06-08-2019, 19:14
They appear to be headquartered in West Virginia. But by all means, lets join a AT centric site to post inflammatory information. Then we can justify it with hyperbole.

Old Hillwalker
06-08-2019, 19:15

The idea of "anti-semitism" in US today is totally laughable by comparison. Lets just say....never was real popular in europe.. .anywhere..US was only place that welcomed them

Google "Jews in the Ottoman Empire" They were welcomed there.

Dr. John
06-08-2019, 19:21
I passed through Damascus on 11/30/17 (five weeks after the incident). A sign north of town on the Creeper Trail was still advertising Hey Joe's. It made me sick to think I had patronized that establishment in the past. I had no desire to spend any time in town, but I needed groceries. As I was leaving Food City, I overheard two older locals discussing the incident. A rather clean-cut man said "he was unfortunate enough to be born a Jew".

The police charged the brothers. Why can't I find out the outcome online? Perhaps you can inform us all.

Dr. John
06-08-2019, 19:24
Muddy Waters, you showed your colors.

Hoofit
06-08-2019, 21:21
I hope you're right Lone Wolf and you should know as you live there but hey, those two dumb ******** deserve a good 'ol fashion kickin! No room for that kind of talk ....Glad they are shut down, ruining the good name of Damascus i.e. friendliest town on the AT.

Emerson Bigills
06-08-2019, 21:45
I hope this thread gets deleted pretty soon. One of the things I enjoy about this site is the focus on hiking and the rare instance of political or controversial threads. I find it sad that the OP seems bent on casting the town of Damascus and it's residents in a negative light. Take the politics some where else.

WTX2WY
06-09-2019, 03:34

https://jewishjournal-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/jewishjournal.com/blogs/keepingthefaith/241655/remembering-alfred-wright/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQDoAEA#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.googl e.com&_tf=From%20%251%24s&share=https%3A%2F%2Fjewishjournal.com%2Fblogs%2Fke epingthefaith%2F241655%2Fremembering-alfred-wright%2F

1. SPLC is a hate group and should not be taken seriously.

2. Your 2 links about the Nazi group basically say that the group has dissolved and is broke. One of your links is about a 71 year old man who punched another man 5 years ago. At their Nazi club. Not sure what either of those links have to do with the AT.

3. I was unfamiliar with the Hey Joe's incident. According to news reports a guy who knew of the owners previously stopped in. Nobody knows what he did or said to the owners prior to the video. The video shows them spouting anti-Jewish insults and one of them slapping the dude's phone that he was filming with. The guys obviously come across as hateful, however given the hiker's admission he knew of them before he stopped in could indicate he was there to talk **** and cause a scene. Without seeing what transpired prior to the video it is hard to say if the hiker was a victim or an instigator/attention seeker. Based on the fact that this story apparently went viral and Hey Joe's racked up 1000+ 1-star reviews on Facebook and went out of business indicates there is probably more to this story.

4. And now we have someone joining WhiteBlaze to start a thread that has nothing to do with anything trail related in the last 18 months, and an assault between two guys on social security that occurred 5 years ago and had nothing to do with the trail

Conclusion: new poster is likely either affiliated with SPLC or the guy who was involved with the Hey Joe's incident.

If nothing else, thanks for letting us know that Damascus is safer than ever since Hey Joe's is closed and the Nazi club is all in jail, dead, or at the assisted living facility.

Traveler
06-09-2019, 07:17
SPLC is an activist political hate group not to be trusted as a source of objectivity. It seeks to silence other groups that don't share SPLC's liberal biases by labeling those groups as hate groups. This is a politically slanted thread which has little to nothing to do with hiking or Damascus VA.

Same can easily be said of the group currently in the White House. Agreed this has little to do with hiking, if there is an issue in Damascus its for the residents living there to tame or live with. Time for moderators to yank this thread.

Bassius
06-09-2019, 08:26
I agree....the SPLC is a hate group....but they are not on the list as being a hate group....

MuddyWaters
06-09-2019, 09:06
Muddy Waters, you showed your colors.

If that means i have a brain, and am not swayed by baseless arguements, or emotion.......you got me.

But thats what people that stir up $h!t are all about...emotion. and partial truths. Not to mention childish labelling and name calling of anyone that disagrees.

If you want to present some facts that backup the title, not conjecture...have at it. We will wait.

tdoczi
06-09-2019, 10:16

the details of the lawsuit and the settlement are political opinion? really? LOL

is this political opinion too?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/22/us/splc-richard-cohen-resigns.html

Tipi Walter
06-09-2019, 10:45
I hope this thread gets deleted pretty soon. One of the things I enjoy about this site is the focus on hiking and the rare instance of political or controversial threads. I find it sad that the OP seems bent on casting the town of Damascus and it's residents in a negative light. Take the politics some where else.

If you want to see a so-called backpacking forum site ruined by political talk with minimal backpacking thrown in, check out Backpacker Magazines forum here---

http://bpbasecamp.freeforums.net/threads/recent

whatnot
06-09-2019, 13:08
This is old news.....more than a year and a half ago. What's the point in bringing it up again?

Rain Man
06-09-2019, 13:24
So, taking actions of character and integrity,-- such as making a public apology, paying for a single injury, and dismissing an official for mis-conduct,-- and twisting that into "they are the hate group, not to be trusted" is your gambit? If only actual hate groups did anything of integrity. No, SPLC is nothing like the KKK, Neo-Nazis, not even the GOP.

the details of the lawsuit and the settlement are political opinion? really? LOL

is this political opinion too?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/22/us/splc-richard-cohen-resigns.html

tdoczi
06-09-2019, 13:30
So, taking actions of character and integrity,-- such as making a public apology, paying for a single injury, and dismissing an official for mis-conduct,-- and twisting that into "they are the hate group, not to be trusted" is your gambit? If only actual hate groups did anything of integrity. No, SPLC is nothing like the KKK, Neo-Nazis, not even the GOP.

i don't believe i'm the one that called them a hate group, i just said I don't look to them as a reliable source on these matters.

they clearly have an agenda and a bias, which is what lead to the lawsuit and settlement.

Dogwood
06-09-2019, 16:42
I'm not sticking my hand into the jaws of a gator.

ocourse
06-09-2019, 17:26

What he said! Please drop this thread. Very silly, and nothing good can come from it.

The gimp3
06-09-2019, 22:24
Doesn't anyone find it alittle odd with all the churches in town there's no synagogue?

MuddyWaters
06-09-2019, 22:57
Doesn't anyone find it alittle odd with all the churches in town there's no synagogue?

Not at all.
The tri cities has one.

It just depends on population. Damascus is like 800 people. That might be 12 jews if the us average 1.4% of population applied. It could easily be less.

My best buddy is greek orthodox....they drive 60 miles to church. And live in town of 50,000.

Gambit McCrae
06-10-2019, 08:50
That incident at Hey Joes was blown way out of proportion

Like most things this day in time.

Lone Wolf
06-10-2019, 11:08
Like most things this day in time.

the so-called "victim" instigated the whole thing. i've known him 10+ years. he pulled the jew card once before here in town

scope
06-10-2019, 12:00
Here's what I think (like you care)...

1. The OP put together a reasonable post to draw interest towards a sensitive subject, and...
2. Those inclined to be sensitive about it, were. I think sometimes folks get sensitive to the initiation of opinions on potential oppressive restriction, when they should just let these opinions have some air without such an immediate response - and such a response inevitably makes you look bad, like you're clearly on the side of oppressive behavior, when in fact you're not. (@MW)
3. SPLC is basically a good organization that has gone astray - hoping the lawsuit and resulting leadership change gets it back on track. Like a lot of "watchdog" organizations, I do think there is a tendency to justify actions and the resulting collateral damage of those actions without proper reflection. Otherwise known as Group Think.
4. A backpacking forum probably isn't the place for this discussion, but while we're on the subject...
5. How else are we supposed to be alerted to info that potentially could be very affecting to any one of us?
6. On the subject of "liberal biases", perhaps its good to remember that as a country, we should be biased towards liberty for all. I find the term "liberal biases" as its typically used to be offensive name-calling. Its used to brand people as some sort of idiot and devalue their opinions. In theory, we should all be liberally biased.

tdoczi
06-10-2019, 12:15
6. On the subject of "liberal biases", perhaps its good to remember that as a country, we should be biased towards liberty for all. I find the term "liberal biases" as its typically used to be offensive name-calling. Its used to brand people as some sort of idiot and devalue their opinions. In theory, we should all be liberally biased.

like so many, the word "liberal" has been twisted all out of shape. in other words, many "liberal policies" that one might support or "liberal biases" one may have are not actual liberal in any normal sense.

for example, the SPLC's handling of Maajid Nawaz.... liberal? hardly.

but they are a "liberal organization" and the bias shown by their handling of the situation is indeed in line with what many other "Liberals" would do and think.

rubyvermonter
06-10-2019, 12:32
The Southern Poverty Law Center is a well, respected non-profit organization, which strives to protect civil rights of all people. Anti-Semitism in the U.S. and around the world is very real, the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting being the most recent example.

tdoczi
06-10-2019, 12:39
The Southern Poverty Law Center is a well, respected non-profit organization, which strives to protect civil rights of all people.

only all people who agree with their politics.

MuddyWaters
06-10-2019, 12:50
Theres about 40 hate groups functioning in most states, targeting every kind.

If this bothers you, stay home......oops, they are functioning near your home too. Guess your SOL.

Some things will always be present at low levels, and akways have. Incidentally , large influx of new immigrants triggers increase in hate crimes vs all groups.

If you want to report about hate organizations near trail, you dont need to pick a defunct one . Theres plenty valid ones to choose from around. And you dont need to smear a community in process.

I used to live near national hq of KKK. Know how much KKK activity there was in area? Zero. Its NOT a causual relationship. Comunities are embarrassed about these things as well, but its not in their control.

but here's the overriding thing that's a lot of people don't seem to understand...... If you let this crap bother you at all... They win... You lose

rickb
06-10-2019, 15:28
To suggest that antisemitism is endemic to a small far away town — with scant evidence to support that conclusion — is to minimize the reality that it exists far and wide.

I think the OP needs to do some soul searching.

I will pray pray for him if I can find a colander.

Dogwood
06-10-2019, 18:13

https://jewishjournal-com.cdn.amppro...fred-wright%2F (https://jewishjournal-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/jewishjournal.com/blogs/keepingthefaith/241655/remembering-alfred-wright/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQDoAEA#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.googl e.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fjewishjournal.com%2Fblogs%2 Fkeepingthefaith%2F241655%2Fremembering-alfred-wright%2F)

The Police were disclosing results of two different reports by a Forensics Medical Examiner, an M.D., and a trained forensics pathologist that examined the body after conducting lab analysis. The reports showed cocaine, meth and Xanax found in the deceased and evidence of long term cocaine use.

4eyedbuzzard
06-10-2019, 18:27

1. The OP put together a reasonable post to draw interest towards a sensitive subject, and...
2. Those inclined to be sensitive about it, were. I think sometimes folks get sensitive to the initiation of opinions on potential oppressive restriction, when they should just let these opinions have some air without such an immediate response - and such a response inevitably makes you look bad, like you're clearly on the side of oppressive behavior, when in fact you're not. (@MW)
3. SPLC is basically a good organization that has gone astray - hoping the lawsuit and resulting leadership change gets it back on track. Like a lot of "watchdog" organizations, I do think there is a tendency to justify actions and the resulting collateral damage of those actions without proper reflection. Otherwise known as Group Think.
4. A backpacking forum probably isn't the place for this discussion, but while we're on the subject...
5. How else are we supposed to be alerted to info that potentially could be very affecting to any one of us?

Well stated.

For years, SPLC has fought to bring down all sorts of militant organizations in the civil courts. White Supremacists/KKK and New Black Panthers, Christian Identity and Nation of Islam, Sovereign Citizens and Neo-Nazis, etc. If an organization preached hate and violence against another group of people, they were generally all over it regardless of race or religion or political affiliation.

In recent years, they have made mistakes - especially in inflating the degree of the "level of hate" in fundraising propaganda, and in branding some people unfairly.

But if you take the body of their work from the 1970's to present, they have brought a lot of evil people and organizations to justice that would otherwise have grown in power and walked without consequence for their actions. Hopefully, with leadership change, they will focus a little more on that core work and a little less on the business and bottom line.

rickb
06-10-2019, 19:31

I can see how you might have reached that conclusion if you just took a quick look at the OP’s post.

That said, I would wager you didn’t read any of the links— or if you did, gave them just a quick look.

Not a reasonable post.

Midwest Mike
06-10-2019, 22:18
OK. I am not here to debate the SCLC. Or to judge the people of Damascus. I am here to describe what has changed for me in the last three years or so.

I never would have hesitated to use a gas-station bathroom before. Now, if I'm in a deep red county, I might skip the local station in favor of the brand-name Interstate truck stop 20 miles away. And if I can't hold it, I won't go in alone. I know I have nothing to fear from 99 percent of the people there. But I have an identifiably Jewish face, and it only takes one.

I never would have thought that my synagogue -- in a deep-blue suburb of blue Chicago -- would be hiring off-duty cops to guard our services. We don't see our neighboring churches doing that.

And I never would have expected to worry about members of Congress, from both parties, using dog whistles against us.

So if some of us are a little too jittery, or not skeptical enough of the SCLC, I hope this gives some reason as to why.

Hoofit
06-10-2019, 23:51
Well I ran what they said about the oven by my wife, a truly lovely Jewish lady ., and she was saddened that anyone in this 'day and age', would resort to such low levels. What low class piece of crap goes there in an argument? Vile scumbags! Instigator or not, there's better ways to deal with people, merely out of respect to other people of the Jewish faith.Just my opinion .....

Dogwood
06-11-2019, 02:17
hate is everywhere, but I remember a time when the AT was a community of brotherhood/sisterhood. We looked out for each other. That's why some of us keep coming back.
There are many incredible people who hike the AT, or lend support. No doubt some live in Damascus. But let's keep this community one we can be proud of.

I take umbrage at the first sentence. The U.S. is not a country of hate everywhere! This is victimhood nonsense disparaging this country. And, even if some Whiteblazers disagree with you that doesn't change the fact WB can still be a proud community. WE don't need to sympathize with your viewpoints to be a proud community! If we look for something, we find it even if we have to fabricate the narrative to make it true,...even if the facts have to be ignored. That is what seems to be rampant! Hate and malfeasance is NOT everywhere! Instead of seeking victimhood we can equally seek and operate in love, joy, peace, harmony, cooperation, goodness, self control, faith, knowledge, wisdom, and patience. We can equally recognize the great strides we've made as a Nation regarding civil and humanitarian rights!

Dr J, or whoever you are, overall your post is a grandstanding sympathy seeking statement rooted in political motivations begging inclusivity to one's political identity... not to combat hate or violence. It raises a blazing red flag as Dr John has only joined WhiteBlaze on June 2 2019 the same day he started this politically slanted thread that aimed at first to make sweeping demeaning unfounded accusations against the trail town of Damascus VA. And, Dr John ONLY has made comments on politics based on his activity profile. So much for Dr John, whoever this troll is, being part of a backpacking community interested in hiking topics!

Then, Dr John, who leaves the flimsiest of WB User profiles, deceitfully seeks to gain the WB community's allegiances, to sympathizing with SPLC's and his/her identity politics. And, were all off to the races. Has anyone thought about this series of events?

What raises a second concerning red flag is WB Mods have not censored this obvious left wing politically bias WB taboo thread topic nor obvious following politically slanted posts with nothing even tangentially related to the AT or hiking. I sincerely thought signing on to WB generalized political conversations were strictly monitored and, if need, censored. This occurring despite several long term WB posters alerting MODs to delete the thread. Who will get censored is probably myself for stating this!

Dogwood
06-11-2019, 02:20
[QUOTE=Dr. John;2248942]...The legal team at SPLC works for donations, earning a small fraction of what they could make elsewhere. They have the talent to win cases at the decidedly right-wing Supreme Court. Indeed, they make much less than people like Rudy Gulliani, and have considerably more talent.[Quote]

That's an offensive misleading politically biased left wing statement. According to financial statements SPLC now has nearly a $300 million endowment. It has offices in four states with a swank six story office in Montgomery AL. It's founder Morris Dees earned $335,00 in 2015, not a bad chunk of change for being involved in supposedly grass roots not for power and profit civil rights with attorneys working for donations. :rolleyes:

SLPC is now a weaponized intolerant political activist group pushing a politically correct left wing agenda riding on the coat tails of past virtuous civil and humanitarian rights wins. Anyone who disagrees with their politics they are quick to label as a hate group including anyone who associates with that group, to shut up alternative viewpoints. This is common intolerant behavior of the left. Contentiousness at it's core, this is identity politics. Their perspective is free speech is quickly labeled hate speech when it doesn't agree with their speech?

SPLC listed on their hate group list non violent Sen Rand Paul and soft spoken Housing Secretary Ben Carson, Ben Carson because he was in favor of marriage between a man and woman. Dr Carson was subsequently labeled an Uncle Tom because he never bought into promoting or perceiving himself along the victim hood narrative instead choosing to pull himself up and those around him through great effort despite less than a stellar initial situation in life. Both were included on the same hate group list as the the sometimes violent and hateful KKK and other terrorist and extremists organizations and individuals It's clear, as TDOCI stated, anyone that doesn't share SPLC's left wing political correctness from their perspective is spewing hate and extremism. HMM, so non violent civil dissent of opinion is now labeled as hate, terrorism, extremism and violence by the SPLC? That is an attempt to quiet anyone of THEIR alternative civil rights when they dissent from SPLC's agenda...a common tactic for the radical left.

John B
06-11-2019, 05:04
Rather than listen to those whose knowledge of SPLC is limited to what is said about them, I would encourage people to go to their website and read for themselves exactly what the goals and methods are of the SPLC.

Read for yourself rather than rely on those who tend to opine and bloviate about anything and everything regardless of what they know or don't know.

https://www.splcenter.org/

tdoczi
06-11-2019, 05:29
Rather than listen to those whose knowledge of SPLC is limited to what is said about them, I would encourage people to go to their website and read for themselves exactly what the goals and methods are of the SPLC.

Read for yourself rather than rely on those who tend to opine and bloviate about anything and everything regardless of what they know or don't know.

https://www.splcenter.org/

right because someone's own evaluation of themselves is always the best the way to find out about them. no one ever paints themselves u=in an unreasonably, overly positive light. especially on the internet.

ZombieDust66
06-11-2019, 08:31
If you have to look this hard to find something, it probably doesn’t exist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. John
06-11-2019, 21:08
https://natall.com/about/what-we-believe/I

From National Alliance website:

"We believe that our people must be united by the common goal of building a better race. Today, without a common national-racial purpose, we are unable to focus our energies and achieve the great things which otherwise would be within our grasp. But once we are united on the basis of common blood, organized and disciplined within a progressive social order, and inspired by a common set of ideals, there will be no problem which we cannot overcome, no enemy whom we cannot vanquish, and no goal which we cannot attain."

Located:
National Alliance, Box 172, Laurel Bloomery TN 37680 USA. (online application form coming soon)

Google Maps says it is a 12 minute drive from the Laurel Bloomery post office to the Damascus police station.

tdoczi
06-11-2019, 21:19
https://natall.com/about/what-we-believe/I

From National Alliance website:

"We believe that our people must be united by the common goal of building a better race. Today, without a common national-racial purpose, we are unable to focus our energies and achieve the great things which otherwise would be within our grasp. But once we are united on the basis of common blood, organized and disciplined within a progressive social order, and inspired by a common set of ideals, there will be no problem which we cannot overcome, no enemy whom we cannot vanquish, and no goal which we cannot attain."

Located:
National Alliance, Box 172, Laurel Bloomery TN 37680 USA. (online application form coming soon)

Google Maps says it is a 12 minute drive from the Laurel Bloomery post office to the Damascus police station.

so... ever do any hiking, or naah?

Dr. John
06-11-2019, 21:33
I am deep saddened by this. I only joined to warn the hiking community. No doubt there are many great people in Damascus, yet it is difficult to believe no one in town was aware of this. No person or institution is perfect, but you don't throw out the baby with the bath-water. SPLC nailed this one.

tdoczi
06-11-2019, 21:36
I am deep saddened by this. I only joined to warn the hiking community. No doubt there are many great people in Damascus, yet it is difficult to believe no one in town was aware of this. No person or institution is perfect, but you don't throw out the baby with the bath-water. SPLC nailed this one.
consider us all duly warned. good work.

so... about that hiking... any thoughts on any of that?

Dr. John
06-11-2019, 21:45
I have more miles than I care to admit. I am not in it for bragging rights.

tdoczi
06-11-2019, 21:47
I have more miles than I care to admit. I am not in it for bragging rights.

so, you really did "join" this board just to warn us all of the menace lurking just outside damascus.

you definitely deserve some sort of a prize.

sorry you're so disappointed and saddened or whatever by the response you received.

Dr. John
06-11-2019, 21:51
And good work SPLC.

Dr. John
06-11-2019, 21:53
No, I truly have enjoyed my visits to Damascus, I wish I had been wrong.

tdoczi
06-11-2019, 21:57
And good work SPLC.

so, if i were to look around the portland, oregon area on the SPLC hate group list, how many ANTIFA cells would i find listed?

Dr. John
06-11-2019, 22:04
I actually saw the SPLC hate map a couple of months ago. I am traveling now, and thought I would but by the ATC HQ and run it by them first. But someone told me about the recent murder on the trail and in good conscience I decided I had to make the decision my. Thanks to all who have kept this about the trail, and the dignity an respect all deserve.

tdoczi
06-11-2019, 22:10
thought I would but by the ATC HQ and run it by them first.
oh dear, bless you.

Dr. John
06-11-2019, 22:12
I will let you know when the AT passes through Portland.

ZombieDust66
06-11-2019, 22:17
I’d just reroute the AT around Damascus to avoid all of this hate. Or maybe the AT Conservancy can hire a shuttle driver to pick people up at the south Damascus trail head and drop them off at north trail head. Kind of like the guy who canoes people across the river in Maine.

Five Tango
06-12-2019, 07:28
Here is a link to the "hate groups map by state" by SPLC.I only looked at Georgia and some of the examples on the map I found laughable based on my knowledge of the small towns listed.I would like to know how the SPLC gets to decide who makes the list and what actually constitutes a hate group.Also,is it illegal to be stupid and/or ignorant in this country yet?

https://www.splcenter.org/hate-map/by-state

ZombieDust66
06-12-2019, 07:44
@five Tango the map is laughable. There is no specific location, data, information on the groups at a local level. It’s all general information. There is no proof given that these groups actually exist in these locations. No proof that I can find at least by reading the website

Five Tango
06-12-2019, 08:11
@five Tango the map is laughable. There is no specific location, data, information on the groups at a local level. It’s all general information. There is no proof given that these groups actually exist in these locations. No proof that I can find at least by reading the website

I own an two authentic Civil War era calvary sabres,one from each army.So I wonder if the SPLC would tag me as a "Neo Confederate"?

MuddyWaters
06-12-2019, 08:26
I own an two authentic Civil War era calvary sabres,one from each army.So I wonder if the SPLC would tag me as a "Neo Confederate"?
I have 2 sex ofenders within 5 mi of my home.

By rationale expressed in this thread....im a sex offender too. I suspect everyone is.

The inference made by this thread and the OP is that the community of damascus supports and is in alignment with some wacko that has a PO box in town several miles away.

Praha4
06-12-2019, 11:38
LOL
here's an idea
to provide a "safe hiking space" for the snowflakes that are upset here

why not just re-route the entire AT around the southern Appalachians?
avoid all the states from the Confederacy
Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia should be avoided
full of hate groups, everyone in those states are full of hate

ATC should post a WARNING at their website

"IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED, AVOID THE SOUTHERN HALF OF THE AT"

tdoczi
06-12-2019, 11:40
LOL
here's an idea
to provide a "safe hiking space" for the snowflakes that are upset here

why not just re-route the entire AT around the southern Appalachians?
avoid all the states from the Confederacy
Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia should be avoided
full of hate groups, everyone in those states are full of hate

ATC should post a WARNING at their website

"IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED, AVOID THE SOUTHERN HALF OF THE AT"
you say this in jest but it wasnt long ago someone here posted an article, which found a great deal of resonance with some members, about how threatening and uncomfortable hiking in the south made someone feel. something about trump thrown in for good measure.

Praha4
06-12-2019, 11:57
you say this in jest but it wasnt long ago someone here posted an article, which found a great deal of resonance with some members, about how threatening and uncomfortable hiking in the south made someone feel. something about trump thrown in for good measure.

bless their hearts,
many Yankees do seem confused while hiking in the South

especially when faced with food choices down south,
it ain't like up north
we've caught 'em putting milk on their grits and butter on their cream'of wheat :D

ZombieDust66
06-12-2019, 12:00
bless their hearts,
many Yankees do seem confused while hiking in the South

especially when faced with food choices down south,
it ain't like up north
we've caught 'em putting milk on their grits and butter on their cream'of wheat :D

I’m avoiding the south because of sweet tea.

Five Tango
06-12-2019, 14:00
I don't know why we Southerners get such a bad rap.We've not killed a Yankee in my county since November of 1864 and it was only because they were down here burning farms and houses on their way to Savannah.

Additionally,there has not been a death attributed to a lynchmob since 1946 (yes,I Googled it).This is not to say that racism,hate,and bigotry don't exist here but I seriously doubt it's any worse than any other area of the country;particularly the large metropolitan areas,many of which are well known for a history of violence,including our nation's Capitol.And while we are at it,let's not forget that other gun free zone,Chicago.

So you may be subject to assault anywhere but from my perspective the probability lessens in the more rural areas in any state;especially those where grits are served.

C4web88
06-12-2019, 14:05

Jealous. Did you find them relic hunting or were they inherited or purchased? Sorry for off topic question but this thread is so junk and irrelevant that I'm not sure it matters at this point...

Five Tango
06-12-2019, 14:09
Jealous. Did you find them relic hunting or were they inherited or purchased? Sorry for off topic question but this thread is so junk and irrelevant that I'm not sure it matters at this point...

Actually they were my 13th birthday present and purchased for only $50 back when items like that were considered "worthless old stuff." Yes,they each have dates of manufacture inscribed before the war started.

Tipi Walter
06-12-2019, 14:11
I don't know why we Southerners get such a bad rap.We've not killed a Yankee in my county since November of 1864 and it was only because they were down here burning farms and houses on their way to Savannah.

Additionally,there has not been a death attributed to a lynchmob since 1946 (yes,I Googled it).This is not to say that racism,hate,and bigotry don't exist here but I seriously doubt it's any worse than any other area of the country;particularly the large metropolitan areas,many of which are well known for a history of violence,including our nation's Capitol.And while we are at it,let's not forget that other gun free zone,Chicago.

So you may be subject to assault anywhere but from my perspective the probability lessens in the more rural areas in any state;especially those where grits are served.

Your info needs to be updated---as these two examples popped into my head without research---

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynching_of_Michael_Donald

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_James_Byrd_Jr.

The gimp3
06-12-2019, 16:31
Is there a protest march in the making? We could get Jessie Jackson and his Rainbow Coalition to show up, and make all kinds of headlines.

Five Tango
06-12-2019, 16:34
Your info needs to be updated---as these two examples popped into my head without research---

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynching_of_Michael_Donald

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_James_Byrd_Jr.

Sorry,I was implying Georgia since that is the state in which I reside.My Google search for Georgia listed a 1946 lynchmob in Walton County.This is not to say that other hate crimes have been committed by any particular group but this was listed as the last mob activity.

Rain Man
06-12-2019, 17:32

Might I recommend you read some books? "The Sun Does Shine" by Anthony Ray Hinton and "The Cadaver King and the Country Dentist." Blatant systemic racism by Southern criminal justice government officials is alive and well in the old Confederate State, which literally has never gotten over the Civil War. It's even got a name, "The Lost Cause" (another book).

Five Tango
06-12-2019, 18:26
Might I recommend you read some books? "The Sun Does Shine" by Anthony Ray Hinton and "The Cadaver King and the Country Dentist." Blatant systemic racism by Southern criminal justice government officials is alive and well in the old Confederate State, which literally has never gotten over the Civil War. It's even got a name, "The Lost Cause" (another book).

So,are you suggesting that the Southern states have cornered the market on racism and hate crimes?
I have lived "down here" almost 67 years and can assure you that the majority of the people are harmless and most are downright civil and polite.

MuddyWaters
06-12-2019, 19:20
So,are you suggesting that the Southern states have cornered the market on racism and hate crimes?
I have lived "down here" almost 67 years and can assure you that the majority of the people are harmless and most are downright civil and polite.

From dept of justice site, hate crimes in 2017... Note that 1/7 of total in US basically occurs in California!! 1/2 of those in NY are against JEWISH people!

California - 1077
new York- 542
NJ - 450
MI - 411
AZ - 288
TX - 192
Washington DC - 193
VA -201
NC- 166
GA- 28
AR - 7
AL - 9
MS - 1
FL - 145

ZombieDust66
06-12-2019, 19:22
From dept of justice site, hate crimes in 2017... Note that 1/7 occurs in California!! 1/2 in NY are against JEWISH people!

California - 1077
new York- 542
NJ - 450
MI - 411
AZ - 288
TX - 192
Washington DC - 193
VA -201
NC- 166
GA- 28
AR - 7
AL - 9
MS - 1
FL - 145

If you look at someone the wrong way in CA it’s a hate crime.

MuddyWaters
06-12-2019, 19:30
If you look at someone the wrong way in CA it’s a hate crime.

large cities mostly , from what i recall from sociology in college. People in close quarters are affected by it.

Five Tango
06-12-2019, 19:30
Thank you,MW,for proving my point.I would argue that Virginia and Florida are not really Southern states anymore but I am totally shocked and disappointed in the numbers from Texas and North Carolina.

C4web88
06-12-2019, 21:39
Actually they were my 13th birthday present and purchased for only $50 back when items like that were considered "worthless old stuff." Yes,they each have dates of manufacture inscribed before the war started.

Very cool. I hope whoever you pass those down to understands that. I love relic hunting here in VA. Always exciting digging up little pieces of history.

BobTheBuilder
06-12-2019, 22:37

As a resident of New Orleans, I'm disappointed that you are calling yourself Dr. John. You have intentionally stirred up racial animus on a hiking message board with your post. The real, and late, Dr. John was about acceptance and peace, not trolling a hikers.

Traveler
06-13-2019, 07:20
https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/133756-anti-Semitism-in-Damascus/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Five Tango https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/133756-anti-Semitism-in-Damascus/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/133756-anti-Semitism-in-Damascus/showthread.php?p=2249332#post2249332)

The grit connection.... could work like saltpeter I suppose, though more study would be in order to see if it stifles violent tendencies.

Five Tango
06-13-2019, 08:01
https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/133756-anti-Semitism-in-Damascus/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Five Tango https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/133756-anti-Semitism-in-Damascus/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/133756-anti-Semitism-in-Damascus/showthread.php?p=2249332#post2249332)

FYI,I was not trying to impune the northern states.My point is that rural areas anywhere are generally safer than metropolitan areas anywhere,and that certainly includes southern metropolitan areas.So there is really nothing to fear from rural locals once you get into "the grit zone."Incidentally,the zone starts in southern Ohio as I was pleasantly surprised to see them there.

The grit connection.... could work like saltpeter I suppose, though more study would be in order to see if it stifles violent tendencies.

For some reason people have some sort of phobia still about those of us in the South.There was a time that those concerns may have been justified but today it is simply not the case.

illabelle
06-13-2019, 09:48
For some reason people have some sort of phobia still about those of us in the South.There was a time that those concerns may have been justified but today it is simply not the case.
A while back (maybe 2-3 years ago) a woman joined WB and posted a thread questioning whether it was safe for a lesbian to hike in the rural South. Annoyed, I briefly considered a sarcastic response about us hillbillies wandering about on the trail looking for sexual deviants to attack...

Instead, I sighed and held my tongue.

russb
06-13-2019, 09:51

My sister (in Texas) just finished a road trip with her kids. As she was going through a small town in another state (I do not recall) she saw what looked to be an old church being reused. The signage was clearly recruiting for the KKK (or the like). Her kids could tell something was off by the words on the signs and asked why some people hate jewish or black people. The concerns are still justified unfortunately.

Five Tango
06-13-2019, 16:10
For those of you interested in actual per capita statistics for hate crimes by state per 100,000 in population you might want to check this link https://safer-america.com/map-of-reported-hate-crimes-in-the-u-s-a/
(Per capita infor is listed if you scroll down the page in the link)
Listing the AT states based on hate crimes per 100,000 here the most dangerous states listed from high to low:

Massachusetts 6.37
New Jersey 5.50
Vermont 5.45
Connecticut 3.09
New York 2.80
Maine 2.40
Virginia 2.28
Tennessee 2.03
West Virginia 1.95
North Carolina 1.62
New Hampshire 1.00
Maryland .79
Pennsylvania .61
Georgia .30

ZombieDust66
06-13-2019, 16:12
A lot of bubbaphobia out there.

ZombieDust66
06-13-2019, 16:14
For those of you interested in actual per capita statistics for hate crimes by state per 100,000 in population you might want to check this link https://safer-america.com/map-of-reported-hate-crimes-in-the-u-s-a/
Listing the AT states based on hate crimes per 100,000 here the most dangerous states listed from high to low:

Massachusetts 6.37
New Jersey 5.50
Vermont 5.45
Connecticut 3.09
New York 2.80
Maine 2.40
Virginia 2.28
Tennessee 2.03
West Virginia 1.95
North Carolina 1.62
New Hampshire 1.00
Maryland .79
Pennsylvania .61
Georgia .30

Top six states are in the north, mmmmmm

rickb
06-13-2019, 17:02

Massachusetts 6.37
New Jersey 5.50
Vermont 5.45
Connecticut 3.09
New York 2.80
Maine 2.40
Virginia 2.28
Tennessee 2.03
West Virginia 1.95
North Carolina 1.62
New Hampshire 1.00
Maryland .79
Pennsylvania .61
Georgia .30

Here is a screen shot from the link provided.

Fake news?

gpburdelljr
06-13-2019, 17:40
Here is a screen shot from the link provided.

Fake news?

I’m confused, what part are you saying is fake?. He extracted the data for the 13 states the AT passes through, from the table of all states you provided a screenshot of. The site says the data is based on hate crimes reported to the the FBI in 2017.

iceaxe56
06-13-2019, 18:23
In the Trump south you will run into this in other towns.Seems like the rednecks with their rebel flags in the back of their trucks are numerous.Just be careful when your in those towns and back roads.

iceaxe56
06-13-2019, 18:26
They are not on the trail,,they are in the towns,,just look around,they are not hard to spot.(rednecks)

Hosh
06-13-2019, 18:31

And governed by liberal/progressive democrats for decades

Five Tango
06-13-2019, 18:40
In the Trump south you will run into this in other towns.Seems like the rednecks with their rebel flags in the back of their trucks are numerous.Just be careful when your in those towns and back roads.

Run into what exactly? Also,should Southerners be more apprehensive for their safety the further North they go?

rickb
06-13-2019, 18:41
I’m confused, what part are you saying is fake?. He extracted the data for the 13 states the AT passes through, from the table of all states you provided a screenshot of. The site says the data is based on hate crimes reported to the the FBI in 2017.

No you are not confused. I was.

gpburdelljr
06-13-2019, 19:05
No you are not confused. I was.

Actually, you may be right. There are some serious problems with the data in the link from post #93. There are two tables in the link, total hate crimes reported, and hate crimes per 100,000. I did some spot checking using total hate crimes reported, and population estimates from another link, and get different numbers per 100,000 from that listed in the link. Some are close, and some are way off. One, or both, of the two tables in the link contains errors.

EDIT: The problem is in the first table of the link in post #93. For example, it lists 509 incidents in Georgia, when it should have listed 27 incidents, and 509 participating agencies.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2017/topic-pages/tables/table-12.xls

Five Tango
06-13-2019, 19:09
Actually, you may be right. There are some serious problems with the data in the link from post #93. There are two tables in the link, total hate crimes reported, and hate crimes per 100,000. I did some spot checking using total hate crimes reported, and population estimates from another link, and get different numbers per 100,000 from that listed in the link. Some are close, and some are way off. One, or both, of the two tables in the link contains errors.

Go ahead and post both links then GP.

JPritch
06-13-2019, 19:43
I take umbrage at the first sentence. The U.S. is not a country of hate everywhere! This is victimhood nonsense disparaging this country. And, even if some Whiteblazers disagree with you that doesn't change the fact WB can still be a proud community. WE don't need to sympathize with your viewpoints to be a proud community! If we look for something, we find it even we have to fabricate the narrative to make it true,...even if the facts have to be ignored. That is what seems to be rampant! Hate and malfeasance is NOT everywhere! Instead of seeking victimhood we can equally seek and operate in love, joy, peace, harmony, cooperation, goodness, self control, faith, knowledge, wisdom, and patience. We can equally recognize the great strides we've made as a Nation regarding civil and humanitarian rights!
That's overall a grandstanding sympathy seeking statement rooted in political motivations begging inclusivity to one's political identity... not to combat hate or violence.
What raises a second concerning red flag is WB Mods have not censored this obvious left wing politically bias WB taboo thread topic nor obvious following politically slanted posts with nothing even tangentially related to the AT or hiking

Thanks Dogwood for all your posts on this matter. I couldn't agree with you more, and you said it all much more politely and eloquently than I ever could have! So I will bite my tongue, hard as it may be, and just say "WHAT DOGWOOD SAID!"=====>>>>>

MuddyWaters
06-13-2019, 19:53
https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2017/tables/table-12.xls

Per million people

AL - 3
AR- 2.5
CA-28
GA-3
LA- 7
NY-28
MI-46
MA-64
TN-20
NC-16
VA-23
AZ- 39
D.C.- 278
TX- 7

MS-2
MN-27
WI-8
DE-30
CT-31

NJ-55

Whats clear.....the hateful part if country is not rural deep south. By any stretch of your prejudiced imagination.

And Washington DC is so bad it's pretty much unbelievable.

This isn't news to most people... Who live in the south.

Lone Wolf
06-13-2019, 19:55

you're FOS kid :)

gpburdelljr
06-13-2019, 20:44
Go ahead and post both links then GP.

See my edit in post 103.

Traffic Jam
06-13-2019, 21:18
A while back (maybe 2-3 years ago) a woman joined WB and posted a thread questioning whether it was safe for a lesbian to hike in the rural South. Annoyed, I briefly considered a sarcastic response about us hillbillies wandering about on the trail looking for sexual deviants to attack...

Instead, I sighed and held my tongue.
Right on..we may be yokels but that don’t mean we hate everyone. :)

Feral Bill
06-13-2019, 23:28

Massachusetts 6.37
New Jersey 5.50
Vermont 5.45
Connecticut 3.09
New York 2.80
Maine 2.40
Virginia 2.28
Tennessee 2.03
West Virginia 1.95
North Carolina 1.62
New Hampshire 1.00
Maryland .79
Pennsylvania .61
Georgia .30

Different standards for reporting, I suspect.

rickb
06-14-2019, 06:29
Different standards for reporting, I suspect.

Or the nature of the crimes being recorded.

A summary list like this would fail to distinguish between a hate crime like the 1988 Murder of Rebecca Wright (while some do not think of her’s as an “AT murder” she and her partner first ran into the homophobic killer at the Birch Run Shelters in PA), and an adolescent tagging a wall with racist graffiti.

Five Tango
06-14-2019, 06:44

EDIT: The problem is in the first table of the link in post #93. For example, it lists 509 incidents in Georgia, when it should have listed 27 incidents, and 509 participating agencies.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2017/topic-pages/tables/table-12.xls

Safer-America.com may have transposed the number of agencies and incidents however if you go to the FBI statistics in the link you posted above you will see the FBI has Georgia down with 27 incidents and a population of 8,948,013.That would be 89.48013 stated in terms of 100,000.

Dividing the number of crimes reported as 27 by 89.48013 we come up with an incidence for Georgia per 100,000 of .3017 which is what is on the list in the original link I posted.

Traveler
06-14-2019, 06:58

Another example of the "Grit Connection", less exposure to this special food that appears to be the common link in keeping people docile may indeed be a root cause. Funding for a study is now an open question....

Five Tango
06-14-2019, 07:26
Another example of the "Grit Connection", less exposure to this special food that appears to be the common link in keeping people docile may indeed be a root cause. Funding for a study is now an open question....

Actually,I am rethinking the "grit hypothesis based on the numbers from Pennsylvania.Maybe Philly Cream Cheese could be the contributing factor?

Five Tango
06-14-2019, 07:32
See my edit in post 103.

Just for kicks,I went to the FBI table listed in your link and manually extracted the data to compare to the original link I posted.There is no difference in the numbers.

So one of two things must account for the discrepancies for the incidence of hate crimes committed in the tolerant Northern States vs the racist/bigoted/backward Southern States.

Either the FBI does not know what they're talking about or the Russians have once again hacked the data.........

rickb
06-14-2019, 08:04
Confirmation Bias:

The tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of one's existing beliefs or theories.

T.S.Kobzol
06-14-2019, 13:15
Wth is going on in this thread? [emoji16][emoji3166]

Astro
06-14-2019, 15:26
Wth is going on in this thread? [emoji16][emoji3166]

Quick summary:
Some folks trying to paint the old myth of the "racist" south, while the facts show there is more racism/hate crimes in the north.

Why don't we all just go for a hike and try to enjoy the scenery and company of all those we come in contact with. :)

CalebJ
06-14-2019, 15:31
The old 'racist south' is far from a myth, but it's nowhere near what's been insinuated in this thread.

MuddyWaters
06-14-2019, 15:39
No idea what is inferred, but the link to ny times below will refresh your memory. I suggest you look at county by county results for a better picture.

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/2016/results/president

illabelle
06-14-2019, 16:57
Originally Posted by iceaxe56

In the Trump south you will run into this in other towns. Seems like the rednecks with their rebel flags in the back of their trucks are numerous.Just be careful when your in those towns and back roads.

No idea what is inferred, but the link to ny times below will refresh your memory. I suggest you look at county by county results for a better picture.
https://www.nytimes.com/elections/2016/results/president
I'm still trying to figure out what leads people to think it's okay to imply that rebel flag = violent person (and somehow it's because Trump). We all have the right to believe what we want, think what we want, be who we want. Disparaging people for flying their flags, or for being from the sticks, or for their voting choices is an attempt to shut down their right to free expression. Half the population voted for the incumbent president, a small percentage proudly wave the rebel flag around. Neither action makes them violent. Violence isn't flag waving. Violence is pushing, shoving, assaulting, or as the dictionary puts it, "behavior involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something."

MuddyWaters
06-14-2019, 17:14
Originally Posted by iceaxe56

.We all have the right to believe what we want, think what we want, be who we want.

Lot of people in this country who dont want others to have those rights. They hide behind facades of political correct-ness.

Five Tango
06-15-2019, 07:08
Aaron Tippin had a hit song "People Like Us" link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_ZOTlIb1pA

If you're afraid of us,here is a map of the USA which indicates where we are found so that you might avoid us.
https://brilliantmaps.com/2016-county-election-map/

Traveler
06-15-2019, 07:45
Are we done with this drivel yet?

If not, we need to start a committee to promote the testing of Grit dietary supplements and codify its inclusion in all American diets to keep people docile and unable to complete violent transactions against others. Given Alex Jones who used to command enormous audiences with corruptive fabrications has been pretty much relegated to a panty waist bar fly, it's pretty clear the task remains up to us to see this through.

"Grits, the New Saltpeter"

Five Tango
06-15-2019, 08:19
News Flash-Alex Jones is still on YouTube.Does anyone really care about his opinion?

Alligator
06-15-2019, 20:51
What do you folks think, that when a thread runs wild you can just ignore site rules. Never a good choice friends.

Alligator
06-15-2019, 20:57
Let me be perfectly clear. I don't normally comment on these matters but I just banned two members for repeated infractions and put another in moderated status.

Character is what you do when no one us watching.

No politics on site.

Alligator
06-15-2019, 21:13
Some ******* lives six miles near Damascus and the whole town gets a character assasination? What a stupid premise. A dumb thread to get tied up in and/or go out on. Com'n people.