PDA

View Full Version : Damascus south

JNI64
06-11-2019, 19:05
I'll be heading out Friday morning for Erwin Tennessee bout a 7 hr. Drive to uncle Johnny's to park and shuttle back to Damascus and hike back to me car. Got a new pair of altra timps, cant wait to tear it up! About 125 miles 7 days , 2 half days. So a lot to see on this trip up and over roan mt. , 6,212 ft. The highest I've been. From what i've read I think I'll stay at over mountain and hike up and over the roan. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, I only get out on these section hikes once a year so please if there's something I shouldn't miss as waterfalls or overlooks insight me.

JNI64
06-11-2019, 19:32
And I'm also going by the 2011 AWOL. Really needs to update.

MuddyWaters
06-11-2019, 19:32
Perfect time for roan. Peak of the rhododendron bloom.
Jane bald view will blow you away.

If you have good weather and it's not real windy or threat of storm, skip the mouse infested barn and camp on top of yellow mountain.

tdoczi
06-11-2019, 19:41
19E to damascus is dramatically easier than erwin to 19e. spend more of your time south of 19E. you can blow through 19E to damascus in 3 days, 3.5 days. 4 if you really drag it out

JNI64
06-11-2019, 20:21

If you have good weather and it's not real windy or threat of storm, skip the mouse infested barn and camp on top of yellow mountain.

Thanks for the info, I just marked my map worth the 5.2 mile to set myself up for this, thank you and that is more my style.

JNI64
06-11-2019, 21:48

I see now it will be a mile or so before the shelter going south and get water a mile before I might just do this .thanks.

Crushed Grapes
06-12-2019, 14:19
Agreed. We only stayed in the barn because we were in the middle of a sleet/snow storm. Friends behind us had great weather, were able to tent, and I'm still super jealous.

Gambit McCrae
06-12-2019, 14:32
I will be going to the Roan section(Carvers up to Roan high knob then back nobo to 19e this weekend). I would highly suggest tenting at little hump, or bradley gap, or big hump if the weather is clear and calm. Get water just south of bradley gap.

If that makes for too short of a day, push on to doll flatts. If it is too long, stay at the barn but tent.

JNI64
06-12-2019, 17:33
Thank you'll for your responses, gambit looks like that area you're suggesting is full of water, cameras indacating views and loads of camping. Then after that is the roan with the same, so many choices ! I will certainly set up in 1 of these spots, I just wanna get out there cannot wait! Right now I'm gonna go spray everything extra good with permethrin and I have a small deet spray.

JC13
06-12-2019, 18:26
Just got back from HS to Damascus NOBO, it was beautiful. Hopefully you will get great weather!

windlion
06-15-2019, 14:42
Jones Falls, short side trail east of Roan Mountain.

Nick Grindstaff memorial, Johnson Ridge on your way to Damascus ... for the next time you wonder what had value in *your* life.