PDA

View Full Version : Scout troop making cozies????

MedicineMan
02-14-2003, 06:45
thought i read this somewhere on the net, about a scout troop making money making cozies, anyone got a link-i might donate a couple of dollars.

Blue Jay
02-14-2003, 09:04
What is a "cozie"?

Lone Wolf
02-14-2003, 10:10
A cozie? That's a beer holder.

yogi clyde
02-14-2003, 10:35
antigravitygear.com is associated with the boy scout troop.

they also sell pepsi can stoves.

EarlyRiser
02-14-2003, 16:59
so the boyscouts are selling alcoholic accessories now? whats this world coming to? :cool: im sure its jsut for soda

The Weasel
02-14-2003, 18:53
Regardign cozies, see the ultralight forum, where I'll put a post.

Tenderfoot
02-14-2003, 20:42
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16036&item=2709847870

gandrews is the name of a guy on ebay that sells them, stoves and cozies. I bought one and he is WONDERFUL!

You can also buy them direct from him (TinMan) at his site www.antigravitygear.com

screwysquirrel
02-15-2003, 02:52
to SIMVA2020, buy a bunch of them so that they can buy some tents for all of them and stay out of the shelters on the AT.

MedicineMan
02-16-2003, 03:47
Ordered the cozies for my SnowPeak mini solo kit tonight...I will post about them when they arrive....TinMan has to order the solo titanium set before making the cozy to gaurantee fit, he said it was a good excuse to order one!

MedicineMan
02-16-2003, 22:52
Got an email from the TinMan, he is leading a group of Boy Scouts from Springer to Neals for the Backpacking Merit Badge, and then some/all/depending 30 more miles for the 50 Miler Patch...so good luck to TinMan et.al.

cmejia
02-20-2003, 10:55
:D

Actually, a cozy is an insulater that you put your cook pot in to keep the heat in. It allows you to cook your food without using a lot of fuel. AntiGravityGear.com (http://www.antigravitygear.com) sells them for the EverNew .9 Liter Ti Pot , EverNew 1.3 Liter Ti Pot , MSR .7 Liter Ti Pot, MSR .85 Liter Ti Kettle, MSR 1.0 Liter Titanium Pot, MSR 2.0 Liter Titanium Pot, MSR 2.0 Liter BlackLite Pot and the Wally World Grease Pot.

ruckman1968
11-15-2003, 19:30
ok everyone who wants their own cozy...its easy. first, get one of those blue foam mattresses at walmart for $5.88. get some duct tape and a knife.
now take your cook pot and measure the height, with the lid on. you need to know the circumference of your pot and the height. when youre done, youll have 3 pieces of mattress. 2 circles and one rectangle. wrap the rectangle around the pot and tape it. you should leave a little space around the pot...you dont want the cozy to fit real tight. now, take one of the circles (same size for both-same size as the lid) and tape one to the bottom. its easier if you do all this as if youre "dressing" your cook pot. cut some vertical slots for the pot handle. i had the evernew titanium pot.
i used my cozy from kinkora hostel til katadin. i even got rid of the pot bag it came with and just stored my "kitchen" in the cozy. worked great and i did save a lot of fuel by using this.
YOU CAN TOO!

brian
11-15-2003, 19:52
I sell a complete set online, including 2 alcohol stoves, pot, cozy, and potsupport\windscreen for $18 on ebay. Check it out

Brian
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=outdoorequipmentsupplier&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

The Weasel
11-15-2003, 20:34
ok everyone who wants their own cozy...its easy. YOU CAN TOO!

This ol' Scoutmaster has used his for 3 years. One extra advantage to mega-ultralight freaks like me: I boil my pasta or rice, but as soon as the water is at a rolling boil, I turn the stove off (saving 20 min of fuel even at simmer). With the cozy around, under and on top of my pot, everything comes out perfect in 25 min. On my principle (again, based on being obsessive/compulsive about weight-- yeah, I'm disturbed!) of "everything must have 3 uses" the cozy (with an asparagus rubber band) replaces my pot bag, and - honest - the flat top and bottom make a nerf frisbee.

The Weasel

Nightwalker
11-24-2003, 23:57
ok everyone who wants their own cozy...its easy. first, get one of those blue foam mattresses at walmart for $5.88. get some duct tape and a knife.
now take your cook pot and measure the height, with the lid on. you need to know the circumference of your pot and the height. when youre done, youll have 3 pieces of mattress. 2 circles and one rectangle. wrap the rectangle around the pot and tape it. you should leave a little space around the pot...you dont want the cozy to fit real tight. now, take one of the circles (same size for both-same size as the lid) and tape one to the bottom. its easier if you do all this as if youre "dressing" your cook pot. cut some vertical slots for the pot handle. i had the evernew titanium pot.
i used my cozy from kinkora hostel til katadin. i even got rid of the pot bag it came with and just stored my "kitchen" in the cozy. worked great and i did save a lot of fuel by using this.
YOU CAN TOO!

That is so funny. I just did that two days ago, using the same cast-off ex-sleeping-pad. Only diff is that I was a lot less careful; just "made it work" I also have a pot with a fixed handle and pot lid handle-ette, and made small fitted holes for them. I also made side-jackets for the lid section so that there were two seperate individual parts, top and bottom. It was just funny to me that I made my cozy right before I found your article, but then I'm easily amused...

Frank