PDA

View Full Version : ULA Circuit v.v GG Vapor Trail

Rustle
03-03-2006, 08:21
I am a (New England) section hiker moving towards getting lighter and looking for user-ideas about the ULA Circuit (3,700 cu, 32oz) v.s the Granite Gear Vapor Trail (3,600 cu, 30oz). The ULA Catalyst is bigger/heavier (4,600 cu, 43oz), while allowing for more "cheating" in winter time, but might be too much for warmer weather trips.

I have been a little weary about the carbon fiber frame on the Circuit, as some reviews of the old Fusion (I think) reported the frame snapped with little provokation.

I like the individualized fitting (hip and shoulder belts) and the hip-belt pockets (camera, snacks, sunscreen, or map) offered by ULA, and I think the shoulder straps on the VT are not interchangeable.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

chris
03-03-2006, 10:25
Personally, I would go with the ULA simply because of the hipbelt pockets. I haven't used the new Circuit, neither have I used the GG VT. But I've put up enough miles to know that hipbelt pockets are a godsend for long distance hiking. Maybe that was a little dramatic. Perhaps it is best to say that they are a really nice feature.

tlbj6142
03-03-2006, 11:20
The ULA pack is also made of sturdier materials. But, as Chris stated, hipbelt pockets rock. Frankly, I woundn't buy a pack that doesn't have them.

I have no idea why all packs don't have them.

dje97001
03-03-2006, 11:25
Access to snacks, camera, bug spray, pocket knife, headlamp, maps, etc. I'll
"Third" the hipbelt pocket praise. And I'll "second" the I can't understand why no one else does this.

Our ULA P-2 packs are awesome.

tlbj6142
03-03-2006, 13:26
I just thought of another reason to go with the ULA pack. Fit, fit, fit. The ULA pack is semi-custom. Whereas the VT is 3 sizes fit most. So, if your shoulderstraps are a bit too long, too high, too low, etc. Just call/email Brian and he'll fix it. Can't do that with the VT.

I owned a VT for 3 days and returned it because I wasn't GG definition of a "medium" and the small/short was too small/short.

Furthermore, even if you load the pack up in the store, do a short dayhike, etc. with a full pack, you can't be sure of the fit until you've had it on for a few days. If you don't like it, then what? With the ULA send it back to Brian for a few minor touch-ups.

Footslogger
03-03-2006, 13:41
[quote=chris]Personally, I would go with the ULA simply because of the hipbelt pockets.
==========================================
I have a ULA and a GG Vapor Trail. For me the Vapor Trail is the right pack but that's just me. One thing I did recently was to slip the hip belt from my ULA onto the Vapor Trail. Best of both worlds !!

Working with Brian at ULA is a pleasure and his packs are top drawer. But I wouldn't discount the Vapor Trail completely. If it fits you (given it's sizing specs) well it is a darn nice pack. Carried it all the way to Katahdin in 2003 and it's still going strong.

'Slogger

Squeaky 2
03-03-2006, 13:57
check out the ULA packs for sure. i used a GG ozone and it was a pretty cool. the ULA looks a way better design

JoeHiker
03-03-2006, 15:38
I just thought of another reason to go with the ULA pack. Fit, fit, fit. The ULA pack is semi-custom. Whereas the VT is 3 sizes fit most. So, if your shoulderstraps are a bit too long, too high, too low, etc. Just call/email Brian and he'll fix it. Can't do that with the VT.

I'm not so sure this is a good distinguishing characteristic. Not that fit is not important, but rather that the Vapor Trail is widely recognized as one of the best fitting, most comfortable packs out there. Go read the reviews on backpackgeartest.org. From personal experience I can vouch for this. Fantastic fit. You almost forget you're wearing it.

Of course, you do need to be sure to get the proper size small/med/large, but assuming you've done the measurement properly, whatever complaints you might have about the Vapor trail, fit is not going to be one of them.

tlbj6142
03-03-2006, 15:55
I don't agree. This is the biggest problem with most lightweight packs on the market. How can a pack designed to fit 18"-21" fit both an 18" torso and a 21" torso. That 3". I don't know about you, but I like my shouldershraps to fit one-way, anything else has proven to be an issue.

Say this pack is designed for 19.5", well the shoulderstraps are going to be high on a 18" torso and low on a 21" torso. 1.5" makes a big difference. I, for one, like my shoulderstraps to wrap around my shoulders by 2". If I have an 18" torso, they'll be almost parallel with my shoulders resulting in pack flopping around.

That said, the padding on the VT shoulderstraps and hipbelt are excellent, while that affects comfort, it doesn't improve fit.

hammock engineer
03-04-2006, 00:21
I got the VT long. I had my torso measured at 21". Feels great to me. I think it just depends on the person.

My advice is to order the one you like the most, put some miles on it and then decide. If you still have doubts try the other one.

JoeHiker
03-06-2006, 16:19
I don't agree. This is the biggest problem with most lightweight packs on the market. How can a pack designed to fit 18"-21" fit both an 18" torso and a 21" torso. Say this pack is designed for 19.5", well the shoulderstraps are going to be high on a 18" torso and low on a 21" torso. 1.5" makes a big difference. shoulderstraps and hipbelt are excellent, while that affects comfort, it doesn't improve fit.
It isn't designed for 19.5, it is designed for 18 to 21. It's made to be adjustable within a range .Comfort is the goal of proper fit. It is a function of fit. The overwhelming response to the Vapor Trail is that it is so comfortable that people forget their wearing it. This seems to be the report of almost everyone who wears it. Those people range over a variety of sizes, yet the 3 varieties of the Vapor Trail are all they need.I'll take that with its adjustments over a less comfortable but better "fitting" pack (and I don't think that idea really makes sense) any day.

tlbj6142
03-07-2006, 11:26
It isn't designed for 19.5, it is designed for 18 to 21. It's made to be adjustable within a range .How exactly do you adjust the VT? Its torso length is fixed last time I looked at it.
This seems to be the report of almost everyone who wears it.But not everyone. That was my point.
I'll take that with its adjustments over a less comfortable but better "fitting" pack any day.That's not my point. You should strive for both. A comfortable well fitting pack. I found the VT comfortable, but ill fitting. Though, in a way, the ill fitting made it uncomfortable in the long run.

The other point I was trying to emphasize is that a pack may be comfortable in the store (with your gear in it), but after you have it on the trail for a week it may not. With the ULA pack you can send it back to Brian for adjustments. Can you do the same with the VT?

MacGyver2005
03-07-2006, 12:19
The other point I was trying to emphasize is that a pack may be comfortable in the store (with your gear in it), but after you have it on the trail for a week it may not. With the ULA pack you can send it back to Brian for adjustments. Can you do the same with the VT?

This is an excellent point for any pack. Buying from a company that will gladly replace, repair, or refund a product is very important with a backpack. Same goes for your outfitter. Places like REI have a satisfaction guarantee that I have found to be great. Anyone in the market for outdoor gear should keep this in mind when the purchase gear, especially if they are considering buying something discounted from the internet...how much do you save if the "cheaper" item fails and you cannot return it?

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

JoeHiker
03-07-2006, 12:33
How exactly do you adjust the VT? Its torso length is fixed last time I looked at it.But not everyone. That was my point.That's not my point. You should strive for both. A comfortable well fitting pack. I found the VT comfortable, but ill fitting. Though, in a way, the ill fitting made it uncomfortable in the long run.

I'm not sure what you are going for in this paragraph but it really does not make any sense to me. Perhaps you edited it improperly.

"That was my point. That's not my point"

???

A lot of things may happen, but since the VT has been shown overwhelmingly to be a very comfortable, good fitting pack for the majority of people who have used it, adjustments are not generally needed. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with it but by all accounts the vast majority of people who buy it do not.

I'm not saying don't buy the ULA or that any of the other debating points favor the VT. I'm merely saying that -- if reviews mean anything, -- the VT seems to win the battle over FIT, despite not being semi-custom and if that is your concern, you should go for the VT.

tlbj6142
03-07-2006, 14:38
I'm not sure what you are going for in this paragraph but it really does not make any sense to me. Perhaps you edited it improperly.

"That was my point. That's not my point"

???
Software bug. When you quoted my response, the board left out all of your nested quotes, so all you saw was my responses out of context. Look at my message, not your quoted text. What you have in quotes above is actually two different responses to two different statements you made. They were not intended to be read without your quoted text between them.

JoeHiker
03-09-2006, 16:16
Ah I see it now.