PDA

View Full Version : Bear Canisters

ssteub
06-23-2019, 11:22
Hi Everyone!

New member here and thank you all for being here!

My family and I (me, hubby and two boys, 12, 11) are doing a backpacking trip in 2 weeks. We are starting at the Blackburn AT center in VA and ending at Penn Mar county park about 11 days later. My question is this...DO WE NEED A BEAR CANISTER?? I have searched around and found conflicting thoughts. We want to save space and weight of course, but want to be safe. Any info on this would be SO very helpful!

Thanks in advance!

TNhiker
06-23-2019, 11:34
Advice was given in the other thread you started on this same subject....

ssteub
06-23-2019, 13:41
Thank you. I can't seem to get back to that thread for some reason...or at least see any replies anyway. Guess I'm still trying to learn to navigate the site. I apologize for the repost.

NJH
06-23-2019, 15:57
Thank you. I can't seem to get back to that thread for some reason...or at least see any replies anyway. Guess I'm still trying to learn to navigate the site. I apologize for the repost.

Try this - https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/133888-Bear-Canisters?highlight=bear+canisters

Rain Man
06-23-2019, 16:02
No problem. Everybody has to start somewhere. If you click on your name and go to your profile, you can click on "Latest Started Threads" or "Latest Posts" and get right to your threads and posts. Hope you get the help you asked for.

LittleRock
06-24-2019, 08:01
I know this is off-topic, but 11 days to get from Blackburn to Pen-Mar is extremely slow. I did that section in 3.5 days and I'm no speedster.

hikermiker
06-24-2019, 08:03
No, you do not need a canister but you should practice hanging a bear line.