PDA

View Full Version : ease of trail from Hampton, TN to Damascus, VA?

Big Dawg
03-03-2006, 10:31
I'm heading out for a section hike starting 3/05. My question is about the stretch heading NOBO from Hampton, TN (just past Kincora) to Damascus, VA. This section seems pretty easy, based on the data book, w/ no major climbs, etc. Is this correct? or is it harder than it seems.

Lone Wolf
03-03-2006, 10:50
Correct. One climb after the dam. Fairly easy and nice section.

chris
03-03-2006, 11:56
Yup. After you get past Hampton the walking is really cush.

Big Dawg
03-03-2006, 12:30
Thanks guys. Damascus, here I come

L.Wolf, will you be in town around 3/16? It seems like I remember you starting a hike before then?

Also, where is the best place to park a car in Damascus, near the trail, for approximately a week?

orangebug
03-03-2006, 12:48
There is parking at MRO, with shower included in the package.

This is a very easy section, although water sources are a bit dicey at times along Iron Mountain. Pond Mt. has a very nice spring in the middle of the top, with a very territorial newt guarding the source.

The climb up Pond Mtn is a bit long out of Laurel Falls. The views along Iron Mtn down into the lake are great. You will have a ball.

Footslogger
03-03-2006, 13:09
That's the section my wife and I did last year prior to Trail Days. It can be done in 3 days however we were hitting the trail fresh (and somewhat out of shape) and arrived in Damascus around noon on the 4th day.

I've heard many people refer to this section as being "easy". Guess you need a basis of comparison and there ARE many sections of the AT that are more difficult. That said ...if you're hiking it as a section and coming out from behind a desk you might not find it to be quite the "piece of cake" as it is sometimes described.

'Slogger

squirrel bait
03-03-2006, 13:35
Is there an area around this region that is easy? For someone/anyone coming from behind a desk. Say the above described 3 to 4 days. Or is route about as easy as easy gets on the AT?

The Solemates
03-03-2006, 14:31
It seems like I remember you starting a hike before then?

LW, hiking?! Ha!

orangebug
03-03-2006, 14:33
Three to four days is about right, although I've seen thru hikers with great legs do it in about 2 days. It is certainly easier than NOGA, a bit tougher than parts of NJ and NY, but pretty tame. There was one spot near telephone wires with ATV tracks that led one hiker astray Nov 04, but the trail is pretty obvious.

neo
03-03-2006, 14:36
I'm heading out for a section hike starting 3/05. My question is about the stretch heading NOBO from Hampton, TN (just past Kincora) to Damascus, VA. This section seems pretty easy, based on the data book, w/ no major climbs, etc. Is this correct? or is it harder than it seems.

easy i hiked from hyw19E to damascus in 3 days in dec 2001:cool: neo

bullseye
03-03-2006, 19:58
It's all a matter of what kind of shape you're in. I was walking every day for exercise when I did this section in '04 and I did it in 2 days with no trouble.

wacocelt
03-03-2006, 20:34
Is there an area around this region that is easy? For someone/anyone coming from behind a desk. Say the above described 3 to 4 days. Or is route about as easy as easy gets on the AT?

It's not as easy as easy gets, but it's far from the toughest section.

Lone Wolf
03-06-2006, 08:19
Thanks guys. Damascus, here I come

L.Wolf, will you be in town around 3/16? It seems like I remember you starting a hike before then?

Also, where is the best place to park a car in Damascus, near the trail, for approximately a week?
I'm leaving Damascus on 15 March with Baltimore Jack, Wolf23000. and Wee Willie. Dropping Willie of near Erwin, Wolf in Hot Springs and me and Jack are heading on to Springer.
Best place to park a car is at the free long term parking area at the south end of the town park. MRO charges $2 per day.

Teatime
03-06-2006, 10:19
My 6-year old son and I are planning to do almost the same hike starting on March 26th. Only we will be starting at at Watauga Dam/U.S.321. I run about 5K X 5 days a week and my son is in great shape. He does Taekwondo about 3 days a week, where he does a lot of running, some push-ups and situps. He can do more of both than I can. I have done Springer to Wesser and this section looks quite mild comparatively. I have also done from Harpers Ferry to the Northern VA. 4-H Center near Front Royal, which ain't as easy as it looks. The Roller Coaster kicked my but. The temps were in the upper 80s in April, with almost no foliage out on the trees. I'm sure I was dehydrated.
Now, I''ve lost about 35 lbs. since those days and am in descent shape.
Okay, I see I'm getting off topic a little but am just trying to point out how important it is for us who can only get out to do some sections and weekends to try and maintain a certain level of fitness. It definately helps.