PDA

View Full Version : Best bars on the AT.....

longshank
03-03-2006, 12:01
Catagories include: best jukebox, best pool table, rowdiest taphouse, most beer varieties,...etc....Feel free to create your own catagories.

RedneckRye
03-03-2006, 12:07
The Doyle, Dot's,or Inn at Long Trail. They are all ON the trail. For the Inn, they have relo'd the trail, but you can still take the old blue blazed route.

KirkMcquest
03-03-2006, 12:11
The Doyle, Dot's,or Inn at Long Trail. They are all ON the trail. For the Inn, they have relo'd the trail, but you can still take the old blue blazed route.

Red, where are these located, respectively?

the goat
03-03-2006, 12:19
in no particular order, except for the doyle, which is clearly the best:
the doyle in duncannon, pa
paddlers pub in hot springs, nc
sarge's pub & grub in rangely, me
pig nose?/ pig tail? brewery in north woodstock, nh
inn at long trail, vt
the dog patch in md
mug shots in palmerton, pa
port clinton hotel, port clinton, pa
dot's in damascus, va
the armory pub, harpers ferry, wv

Disney
03-03-2006, 12:47
I loved Dotts, and the fireside just before the bear mountain bridge. But the resident expert would be Jack Tarlin.

longshank
03-03-2006, 12:48
You say they're ON the trail? Sounds like a heavenly oasis of suds. I can hardly wait.

Sly
03-03-2006, 12:51
Except for a few notable exceptions the bars on the AT are kinda pathetic and few and far in-between. You want good bars, hike the CDT. Anaconda, MT alone has about 50!

longshank
03-03-2006, 12:56
As long as they're trashy, dark, and divey, I'm there!

Sly
03-03-2006, 13:00
As long as they're trashy, dark, and divey, I'm there!

Absolutely!

orangebug
03-03-2006, 13:01
Union, NY has a nice bar, I believe it was the Backdoor Bar, just a bit off the trail. For $10, I had a great cheeseburger, fries and 2 Molson's.

Of course that was in 2002.

Red Hat
03-03-2006, 13:05
What about the one in Hot Springs? We sure had fun in that one!
Also a nice one at the Inn in Damascus. Don't miss happy hour there! I know LW is partial to Dot's, but I really enjoyed this one.

Sly
03-03-2006, 13:12
Yeah OB that's a good one, but it's Unionville, NY and the Backtrack.

Off the radar a little further up the trail about a mile east towards Greenwood Lake on 17A is another good one.

In the same area, Vernon, NJ has/had a good one too.

Blue Jay
03-03-2006, 13:23
What's the name of that Biker Bar in Central Virginia? I love that place ALMOST as much as the Doyle.

Sly
03-03-2006, 13:26
Biker Bar in VA? You mean the Dogpatch in MD?

max patch
03-03-2006, 13:27
Union, NY has a nice bar, I believe it was the Backdoor Bar, just a bit off the trail. For $10, I had a great cheeseburger, fries and 2 Molson's.

Of course that was in 2002.

Do you mean Unionville?

Back in 88 when I thru'd I was in town with one other hiker. We tented (with permission) behind the firestation as there was no hostel in town at the time. I remember playing pool and eating at the Wayside Tavern...2 burgers, fries and 2 beers. When we went to pay our tab they didn't charge us for the beer. Nice folks.

kyhipo
03-03-2006, 13:36
the dogpatch was a very nice Bar in my drinking days ,I like the balcony and all the bikers,also thought though not right on the trail either,the bar in kent next to the laundry mat.well man could go on and on on this thread.ky

Tin Man
03-03-2006, 14:09
I don't recall the name, but on our 2002 section we stopped at a bar right on the trail in Dalton, MA and chowed down on some juicy burgers and drank some cold ale for a spell.

neo
03-03-2006, 14:14
if ya dont drink do power bars count:cool: neo

http://www.powerbar.com/

orangebug
03-03-2006, 14:26
Yup, it was Unionville, NY. Backtrack was the place. Back Door sounds like a Breakback sort of place. :eek: (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) They also had pool, off track betting, TV and good locals chatting.

neo
03-03-2006, 14:30
Yup, it was Unionville, NY. Backtrack was the place. Back Door sounds like a Breakback sort of place. :eek: (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) They also had pool, off track betting, TV and good locals chatting.

i stopped there in 2004 drank a pitcher of coke,ate pizza and a big burger
has a really small hostel lol:cool: neo

Footslogger
03-03-2006, 14:32
[quote=orangebug]Yup, it was Unionville, NY. Backtrack was the place.
================================
Not sure if they still do it but there was a small building to the left of the bar with "Shelves" that they would rent out to hikers for $3 a night. Not exacly a hostel but you're out of the weater and up off the ground.

I too visited this bar in 2003. Locals were pretty cool and interested in hikers. The weekend I was there the state of NY had implemented "No Smoking" in bars/restaraunts and it was interesting watching some of the hard core smokers having to step outside for a cigarette. Enforcement was left up to the owners of the bar and you could tell that they hated having to tell regular patrons that they had to step outside for a smoke.

Good food ...cold beer.

'Slogger

Rain Man
03-03-2006, 14:33
"Best Bars"???-- an oxymoron if ever I heard one!

Heck, that phrase is also a non sequitar! LOL

Rain:sunMan

neo
03-03-2006, 14:39
"Best Bars"???-- an oxymoron if ever I heard one!

Heck, that phrase is also a non sequitar! LOL

Rain:sunMan

excellent choice of words raiman,my answer was powerbars lol:cool: neo

http://www.powerbar.com/

Moxie00
03-03-2006, 15:04
I am shocked and saddened by the idea that all these hikers actually frequent establishments where alcoholic drinks can be obtained. Don't you all know the evel of drink, Thank heavens I saw the movie Reefer Madness as it put me on the pure path to heaven. Lips that touch wine will never touch mine.
Oh yes, The Doyle and The Inn At Long Trail are my choices.

Newb
03-03-2006, 15:18
There's a great bar on the C&O Canal towpath in Li'l Orleans, WV. The C and O connects to the AT in Harper's Ferry...so...technically, you can walk there from the AT. ;)

Newb
03-03-2006, 15:36
If you're feeling fancy, and packed a tie, you can hike into the Ashby...

http://www.ashbyinn.com/

vipahman
03-03-2006, 16:39
0.2 mile west at Culver's Gap, NJ has a bar and restaurant. Backpacks need to be left outside.

lobster
03-05-2006, 12:44
Newb,

Concerning the Ashby Inn, back in 98, Maineak and I wanted to grab a hotel so we walked into Paris, VA not realizing it was a holiday weekend. The Ashby called all around for us since they were full and everywhere nearby was full also. That is some ritzy joint and we sure stank. Everybody was dressed in suits and dresses. The owner was nice though and walked us around the place and down on the lawn with a view of the veranda with the well-dressed folk dining. There was a small table and a couple chairs and he came and served us a couple of imported beers apiece for no charge. He had run a restaurant in Bar Harbor, ME and we were both from Maine so maybe that is why he treated us nice.

I wonder what the folks on the veranda thought??

Chef2000
03-06-2006, 18:50
Tin Man is that the Shamrock in Dalton? great place. How about the one on the curve in the road after the the two hostels in Northern VA, before you come into Harpers Ferry.

In waynesboro a couple blocks from the PO is great hole in the wall with a hiker register.

manchester vt has a couple a cool ones, especially the BBQ place.

MY all time fav, was the original Quincy's in Damascus. $3.00 pitchers

the Long trail has great bars all along it including one that lets you tent out back on the river. LONG TRAIL TAVERN in Johnson VT

Jaybird
03-06-2006, 18:59
Catagories include: best jukebox, best pool table, rowdiest taphouse, most beer varieties,...etc....

aren't you describing LONE WOLF's house in DAMASCUS?:D

Belew
03-06-2006, 19:14
aren't you describing LONE WOLF's house in DAMASCUS?:D

Best jukebox (music) for sure.

Sly
03-06-2006, 19:36
Anyone mention the White Wolf in Straton yet? We had a great time there!

Sly
03-06-2006, 19:44
There's a great bar on the C&O Canal towpath in Li'l Orleans, WV. The C and O connects to the AT in Harper's Ferry...so...technically, you can walk there from the AT.

That would be Bill's.

I spent New Years Eve there '97/'98 and had a great time! We camped at the NPS campground in about a foot of snow with temps in the low teens.

It's an 80 mile hike from Harpers Ferry.... (I drove)

mdionne
03-06-2006, 19:55
:D funny post moxie! my choice by far is mugshots in palmerton, pa. i don't remember if they serve food, if you don't like people buying you drinks then don't go there. i went in to have a beer and all of a sudden people were buying me shots left and right. palmerton community sure treats the hikers well.

Sly
03-06-2006, 20:01
If you go to Slatington instead of Palmerton, there's a couple good bars there...

One knock on the bars down South (when you can find them), most don't serve liquor!

Jack Tarlin
03-06-2006, 22:11
In no particular order, here are the only three that matter:

1. Five Olde Nugget Alley. Hanover, NH
2. Dot's Cafe. Damascus, VA
3. The Doyle Hotel. Duncannon, PA

ARambler
03-07-2006, 00:35
There are only 3 brew pubs on the AT. Only one has consistantly good beer, but I won't mention it because I want to be the first one kicked out of it. The other two are in Dalonaga, GA and The Forks, ME.

I didn't even find very many package stores with a good selection of micros. I think the Hanover food Coop may be at the top of my list. I also had a good beer in Vernon, NJ (NOT in the hostel) and in Dalton, MA.

My suggestion is hike one year and bring good beer to Trail Days the next.
Rambler

hustler
03-07-2006, 01:03
If you play your cards right, I found there to be alot of free beer to be had, but be prepared to hike out of town at night. Moral of the story, don't have your friends call you by your trail name at the poker table, or while you got the pool cue in hand.

The Desperado
03-07-2006, 01:24
Gyps Tavern at Culvers gap, nj..........inn at the long trail.........

bfitz
03-07-2006, 01:48
In no particular order, here are the only three that matter:

1. Five Olde Nugget Alley. Hanover, NH
2. Dot's Cafe. Damascus, VA
3. The Doyle Hotel. Duncannon, PA
Well, you're right...but it would matter if the others weren't there!
The bar across the street from the White Wolf was pretty cool too. The band playing let the hikers partying there play their instruments! Very cool guys...
Rangely had a good bar too, but I forgot its name...
But any bar is fun if it's full of hikers!

bfitz
03-07-2006, 01:53
The Rendezvous in Erwin.

Lone Wolf
03-07-2006, 08:00
There are only 3 brew pubs on the AT. Only one has consistantly good beer, but I won't mention it because I want to be the first one kicked out of it. The other two are in Dalonaga, GA and The Forks, ME.

I didn't even find very many package stores with a good selection of micros. I think the Hanover food Coop may be at the top of my list. I also had a good beer in Vernon, NJ (NOT in the hostel) and in Dalton, MA.

My suggestion is hike one year and bring good beer to Trail Days the next.
Rambler
Smoky Mountain Brewery in Gatlinburg and the brewery(forgot the name) at the base of Sugarloaf in Maine are good brew pubs.

mdionne
03-07-2006, 11:08
Smoky Mountain Brewery in Gatlinburg and the brewery(forgot the name) at the base of Sugarloaf in Maine are good brew pubs.

i think you are referring to the "carabassett valley brewing company" near sugarloaf

ARambler
03-07-2006, 11:19
Right, these brew pubs are as good as the two I mentioned, but they are in my off the trail /"towns to be avoided" category. I could also add the brew pubs in Bennington, VT; Long Trail Brewery in Woodstock, VT; Seven Barrel in West Lebanon, NH; and North Woodstock, NH. If you have transportation, you could even drive to the Appalachian Brewing Company in Harrisburg, PA. The Seven Barrel has the best beer, and you can get to it by a free bus from Hanover, but I don't recommend it a trail bar.
Rambler

lobster
03-07-2006, 12:48
Which one is the best, "bar" none?

Lone Wolf
03-07-2006, 12:49
There is no "best" you moosecock!:D

longshank
03-07-2006, 13:42
There is no "best" you moosecock!:D
Way to talk to people, moosecock. Great job making people feel comfortable posting.

Lone Wolf
03-07-2006, 14:03
Go *** yourself. lobster knows me and knows I'm joking with him.

longshank
03-07-2006, 14:08
You know, wolf, there are children who frequent this website, and I don't think that their parents would appreciate you obscene injections into this thread. You only seem to ever open your mouth to breath, eat, and issue crude and uncalled-for obscenities.

Lone Wolf
03-07-2006, 14:09
Go away kid.

longshank
03-07-2006, 14:11
No chance, gramps.

longshank
03-07-2006, 14:17
So, back on topic, anyone have any awesome AT bar stories?

Tin Man
03-07-2006, 14:25
So, back on topic, anyone have any awesome AT bar stories?

Sounds like a luxurious hike issue - pathetic in your opinion. :D

longshank
03-07-2006, 14:29
Sounds like a luxurious hike issue - pathetic in your opinion. :D
Not pathetic at all...I love hanging around in bars...It's what I do best!

longshank
03-07-2006, 14:30
That's why I started this thread, silly...

KirkMcquest
03-07-2006, 14:38

WOW. This is really crude.

Ridge
03-07-2006, 15:10
The best bar I remember was a Snickers bar dipped in peanut butter. Darn, that was good.

longshank
03-07-2006, 15:11
The best bar I remember was a Snickers bar dipped in peanut butter. Darn, that was good.
I heard they're really good deep-fried.

KirkMcquest
03-07-2006, 15:35
I heard they're really good deep-fried.

so are twinkies

the goat
03-07-2006, 23:34
what's that bar just north of snickers gap in those people's basement?

that place is in my top three for location alone!

SnakebiteSurvivor
03-08-2006, 07:39
My favorite bars are those iron bars that help you climb Katahdin! Couldn't have made it without 'em. Snickers bars are also good....

Lone Wolf
03-08-2006, 07:45
what's that bar just north of snickers gap in those people's basement?

that place is in my top three for location alone!
Horseshoe Curve Restaurant/Pub. Ollie North goes there quite often.

MOWGLI
03-08-2006, 08:38

Is it owned by Iranians? ;)

Sly
03-08-2006, 09:51
Horseshoe Curve Restaurant/Pub.

I've been there!

Another basement bar that was pretty cool was in Cheshire under the dilapidated Cheshire Inn across from the pizza place. Looking at the building you wouldn't believe there was an open, working bar.

Anyone know if it's still there?

Alligator
03-08-2006, 10:00
I've been there!

Another basement bar that was pretty cool was in Cheshire under the dilapidated Cheshire Inn across from the pizza place. Looking at the building you wouldn't believe there was an open, working bar.

Anyone know if it's still there?
These are the kind of places one stumbles into.

the goat
03-08-2006, 10:30

yeah, that's it, thanks dude. i love that place....the owners clearly don't keep it as a revenue builder, but rather as a tradition.

Ridge
03-08-2006, 11:15

Where is this Pub located, must be in Pa somewhere. I remember hearing something about a Bent Horseshoe coming thru. I basically night hiked the entire state of Pa in 96 because of the temps, and didn't go to any towns of size.

Sly
03-08-2006, 11:45
Where is this Pub located, must be in Pa somewhere.

It's in northern Virginia, near Snickers Gap, .3 miles west on VA 679.

Ridge
03-08-2006, 12:16
It's in northern Virginia, near Snickers Gap, .3 miles west on VA 679.

Oh yea, there needs to be a bar here, me and my butt remember the relentless ups and downs heading to VA 7. I was to meet some friends in Harpers Ferry and was trying to down some miles coming thru. After 10 yrs it all seems a blur. I guess I gotta plan a new thru-hike, this time I'm going to do it a lot slower.

Alligator
03-08-2006, 13:02
Oh yea, there needs to be a bar here, me and my butt remember the relentless ups and downs heading to VA 7. I was to meet some friends in Harpers Ferry and was trying to down some miles coming thru. After 10 yrs it all seems a blur. I guess I gotta plan a new thru-hike, this time I'm going to do it a lot slower.
I've heard that the friends you make thru-hiking are friends for life. You must have quite a few stories of you and your buds Ridge, what with an AT thru hike and hiking the PCT(all? part?) last year. How about a good bar story or other tales from your hikes.

Alligator
03-08-2006, 15:34
I've heard that the friends you make thru-hiking are friends for life. You must have quite a few stories of you and your buds Ridge, what with an AT thru hike and hiking the PCT(all? part?) last year. How about a good bar story or other tales from your hikes.
...and you're such a cutie pie,...http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=181308#post181308

Chef2000
03-08-2006, 15:51
Hwy Sly, that bar in Cheshire is still there. I love the horseshoe curve bar, of those of you who aquablazed in 2000 missed it. I got so shattered there, shedooby.