PDA

View Full Version : Shelter shenanigans...

longshank
03-03-2006, 12:52
How do you feel about hikers arriving at shelters and getting drunk and whatever else in the evening hours proceding the hike...Have you ever had problems with such happenings?

longshank
03-03-2006, 12:55
Or have you ever encountered resistance when trying to cut loose a little?

kyhipo
03-03-2006, 13:27
well I think its just according to who is arround you!in the past I have been involved in some time out meetings,but most long distant hikers ect ect usually go into town or bring a nip from town,I would not want to just take over the shelter and make all other hikers feel uncomfortable.ky:rolleyes:

AbeHikes
03-03-2006, 13:59
Happened up on Springer last Saturday night. I planned to tent anyway, but there were at least 4 people there whooping and hollering way into the night. I don't mean in short little bursts. It was constant for a long while. I don't have a huge problem with it, but just because you're at a shelter doesn't mean you don't have neighbors.

neo
03-03-2006, 14:33
who needs shelters we ya can stealth camp away from everyone:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10175&catid=member&imageuser=3462

the goat
03-03-2006, 15:25

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10175&catid=member&imageuser=3462

does that mean you drink alone?:confused: :confused:

neo
03-03-2006, 15:31

last drink was oct 25 1994,i was almost dead when i quit drinking:cool: neo

Peaks
03-03-2006, 18:30
How do you feel about hikers arriving at shelters and getting drunk and whatever else in the evening hours proceding the hike...Have you ever had problems with such happenings?

Sure have. And I'm sure Windex remembers the night very well. I got up and moved out and away from the shelter. I wanted to sleep. I certainly did not appreciate others ruining that night for me.

irritable_badger
03-03-2006, 18:34
What's wrong with drinking alone? :D

SGTdirtman
03-03-2006, 19:43

Its pretty amazing how no matter what the topic, you can always somehow find a way to promote hammock superiority :D

irritable_badger
03-03-2006, 19:48
Its pretty amazing how no matter what the topic, you can always somehow find a way to promote hammock superiority :D
You're not kidding. I've read so much hammock propoganda from neo since I joined WB last December that I'm going to give hammocks a try after my Thru; just to see if he's on to something. :)

RITBlake
03-03-2006, 19:50
You're not kidding. I've read so much hammock propoganda from neo since I joined WB last December that I'm going to give hammocks a try after my Thru; just to see if he's on to something. :)

don't drink the kool aid

Dances with Mice
03-03-2006, 19:51
How do you feel about hikers arriving at shelters and getting drunk and whatever else in the evening hours proceding the hike...Have you ever had problems with such happenings?Me, I don't care. I won't be in the shelter.

Other hikers learn that the full sleeping bags they find on late arrival are probably early risers who will show the same consideration when they arise and start to pack an hour before sunrise.

Remember Katz and the shoelaces? It's a parable. There's been night owls who hooted into the night then arisen at the crack of noon to find their foodbags on the ground with a stream of ants coming out. Karma, eh?

Drunks should learn they can't win against sober, quiet passive-agressives.

irritable_badger
03-03-2006, 19:53
don't drink the kool aid

I'm pretty skeptical of the hammock idea in general but it might be fun to try. If nothing else I can get one and loan it to people who think they want to go hiking with me. When I tell them that's how they have to sleep maybe they won't want to go anymore :D

RITBlake
03-03-2006, 20:14
I'm pretty skeptical of the hammock idea in general but it might be fun to try. If nothing else I can get one and loan it to people who think they want to go hiking with me. When I tell them that's how they have to sleep maybe they won't want to go anymore :D

don't get my wrong, I hammock. I just don’t find it necessary to constantly cram the idea of hammocking down the throats of other readers.

RITBlake
03-03-2006, 20:16
and to answer the thread question (and to get back on track) I have certainly packed out a beer or two to a shelter. I always take it w/ me or make a mouse hanger if its needed. Can't remember getting drunk in a shelter though. If someone was getting drunk and they were keeping me/other people awake I would probably find a way to convince them to quiet down or to move on and find a new camp. I'm very convincing. :)

hiker5
03-03-2006, 22:11
don't get my wrong, I hammock. I just don’t find it necessary to constantly cram the idea of hammocking down the throats of other readers.
Hear, hear!

As for the poll, I have no problems with anyone having a drink or two, but public drunkeness gets the big thumbs down from me.

LEGS
03-04-2006, 01:48

DAMN MAN, YA CAN SURE STEALTH WITH A TENT, BEEN DOIN IT FOR YEARS, AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. HAMMOCKS ARENT FOR EVERYONE !

Diomede
03-04-2006, 01:52
you know everclear can work as stove fuel...

prozac
03-04-2006, 12:28
Nothing wrong with having a few but getting drunk isn't cool. Better off just smoking a big fatty.

Ridge
03-04-2006, 12:45
I tend to only drink when its available. As long as no mess or bodies are left at the shelter(s) it doesn't matter to me, I stealth camp anyway.

Wolfpaw
03-04-2006, 16:41
Nothing wrong with having a few but getting drunk isn't cool. Better off just smoking a big fatty.how do you keep yourself in stock of fattys.?????????

BMRisko
03-04-2006, 19:56

Seriously, its getting kind of rediculous. I wish I could block all the hammock threads.

prozac
03-04-2006, 22:35
United Parcel Service:)

skyhiker2
12-20-2006, 21:10
Hell yeah Prozac!!!!

And you can stay in stock by packing a gram per day..:banana

Hammerhead
12-20-2006, 21:18
United Parcel Service:)

Where in South Jersey? I've been looking for a hiking partner.

rafe
12-20-2006, 22:40
I was in a foul mood leaving Bastian... and acted like an ass in the shelter the night I left. Usually I'm more subdued... but that night my id took over. I can't even blame it on the drugs 'cuz I didn't have any. But maybe that's why my mood was so foul :confused:. As karma would have it, it rained hard for the next several days. Then about three days past Pearisburg, I'd had enough, and my hike was over. :(