PDA

View Full Version : Combat Veterans who hike?

superfly-SY
06-28-2019, 08:44
Hi guys. I have a special request for our combat vets out there. I am conducting interviews and research for a book I'm writing on the transformative and therapeutic potential the trail has had for some people-including myself. Are there any Combat Veterans who have found that hiking has provided a therapeutic effect and that it has helped with reintegration into society after returning home? Many veterans struggle with making the transition from a combat theater, back to the "real world"." I'm interested in how you came to the hiking community, what about hiking affected you, how being in the woods gave you time to process, did you expereinece healing, changes in values and understanding of self and others etc. I would like to hear your stories, and tell them to others. Anonymity assured if desired. I am also a vet, 3/75th Rangers 1984-1988 and a AT veteran-1999. SOLO- Aconcagua in 2004, NH48-2017 and still going. Please email me directly. [email protected] Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

SY

KnightErrant
06-28-2019, 09:54
I recommend reaching out to Akuna. He's a veteran and thru-hiker who has been featured by Merrell for using thru-hiking to deal with PTSD. (https://www.merrell.com/US/en/blog?url=%2F/merrell_us/from-ptsd-to-at/) He was on the AT last year a few weeks ahead of me, so I only ever saw him at Trail Days, but I follow him on instagram and he seems like a positive person who might be valuable to your book. He's currently hiking the CDT, so might not be available, but I'd message him on instagram @akunahikes

Shutterbug
07-01-2019, 22:09
Hi guys. I have a special request for our combat vets out there. I am conducting interviews and research for a book I'm writing on the transformative and therapeutic potential the trail has had for some people-including myself. Are there any Combat Veterans who have found that hiking has provided a therapeutic effect and that it has helped with reintegration into society after returning home? Many veterans struggle with making the transition from a combat theater, back to the "real world"." I'm interested in how you came to the hiking community, what about hiking affected you, how being in the woods gave you time to process, did you expereinece healing, changes in values and understanding of self and others etc. I would like to hear your stories, and tell them to others. Anonymity assured if desired. I am also a vet, 3/75th Rangers 1984-1988 and a AT veteran-1999. SOLO- Aconcagua in 2004, NH48-2017 and still going. Please email me directly. [email protected] Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

SY

How do you define a "combat veteran?" I flew more than 200 combat missions in Vietnam as a helicopter pilot, but I didn't need any therapy when I returned. I love to hike, but I do it because I love to hike, not because I need therapy.

egilbe
07-02-2019, 09:36
I was shot at three times on the border outside El Paso Texas. I think we walked into a smuggling operation when we were out rabbit hunting in the desert.

The whole thru-hiking as therapy started with Earl Shaeffer "walking the war out" It works.

blazercoach
07-09-2019, 01:50
There's a thru-hiker named "Farmer" who was making good time back in March. My son and I spent a night with him around Max Patch. He's a combat veteran. I'm sure he's up near the finish by now. He may be a great source for you. Good luck finding him!