PDA

View Full Version : Bake Oven Knob Shelter

Former Admin
09-10-2002, 05:11
Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Bake Oven Knob Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Related Links: ?

Stats: ?

Hammock Hanger
09-10-2002, 06:18
This shelter is in PA. It is very old, very small. There is a resident snake that likes to crawl around in the shelter but he/she must be a vegetarian because there are also a number of resident mice. There is a tenting spot just of to the right. Water is very far down the mountain in dry months. Early June of this year it was way down there. No privy. -- Not the nicest of places to plan on staying. If you have water there are much nicer sites along the trail. Of course, after a long day or bad weather... (Loved the rock climbs before it.) Also if heading north and it is close to sunset stay up on the rocks at the summit and watch the sunset before the half mile hike down to the shelter. HH

Crash
07-14-2003, 09:52
definately one to avoid,

whcobbs
09-10-2003, 11:51
Slept at this shelter 24. August 2003 or thereabouts on a section hike of the PA rocks. Needs a privy! The presently active spring is about 12-15 min downhill, but good flow. Skeeters numerous. Noise from Bake Oven Knob Road sometimes bothersome. Resident mouse has reduced the margins of the shelter register to bedding material. This shelter is the opposite extreme from the Allentown shelter.

Walt

wilconow
05-23-2005, 20:40
i just want to say how valuable this forum is! am planning a trip through PA this weekend, will stay at new tripoli campsite instead of this shelter (after reading this thread, of course!)

Footslogger
05-23-2005, 23:14
You practically have to get on your knees to crawl in ...but on a rainy night in 2003 it sure came in handy !!

'Slogger
AT 2003

neo
05-24-2005, 02:03
bag o tricks told me not drink from the spring on a hike i did nov 2003
he said some butt hole took a dump in the spring and whiped their butt
and left toilet paper in spring,bag o tricks is a trail maintainer/trail angel
in that area,that is sick,and very in human:cool: neo

c.coyle
05-24-2005, 07:07
It was built in 1937. Might be the oldest shelter on the AT.

wilconow
06-01-2005, 10:15
yep it is very small. we arrived as a rain storm was ending. two people in the shelter with a dog who was covering about half of the space in there (not saying all that much since it is so tiny)

there are some good campsites right next to the shelter and across the trail

spring is very far away downhill. long way to take a dump

TooUnfazed
07-14-2005, 12:38
We were there July 3rd, 2005. It is very small and rustic, just a platform with space underneath for rodents and snakes, and the wire grill is damaged, so I'll bet there is plenty of wildlife there at night. There was a lot of activity around it, so we just stopped in to see what it looked like. Someone left a plastic Gatorade bottle and there was a very trail weary dog hanging out with his human hiking companion. Two companion hikers stopped to eat, and we heard activity there all night after we made camp nearby. The water is waaaaay down the trail and it wasn't fit for filtering and treating, much less anything else. There hadn't been much rain in awhile, perhaps there is a better supply of water other times of the year.

We hiked in for an over-night and used a clearing to the West of the trail that is well-used, but private. There are several campsites around the area, it's near a busy Pennsylvania spot where young locals often come to drink beer and party at the Bake Oven knob lookout point. Getting to this shelter from the South is lots of fun if you love Rocksylvania mountain climbing. And we do!

shelterbuilder
04-02-2007, 22:23
We were there July 3rd, 2005. It is very small and rustic, just a platform with space underneath for rodents and snakes, and the wire grill is damaged, so I'll bet there is plenty of wildlife there at night. There was a lot of activity around it, so we just stopped in to see what it looked like. Someone left a plastic Gatorade bottle and there was a very trail weary dog hanging out with his human hiking companion. Two companion hikers stopped to eat, and we heard activity there all night after we made camp nearby. The water is waaaaay down the trail and it wasn't fit for filtering and treating, much less anything else. There hadn't been much rain in awhile, perhaps there is a better supply of water other times of the year.

We hiked in for an over-night and used a clearing to the West of the trail that is well-used, but private. There are several campsites around the area, it's near a busy Pennsylvania spot where young locals often come to drink beer and party at the Bake Oven knob lookout point. Getting to this shelter from the South is lots of fun if you love Rocksylvania mountain climbing. And we do!

This is the smallest - and the oldest - shelter on BMECC's section of the Trail. It was built in 1937, and was adequately-sized until the backpacking boom in the '70's. It is located on Pa. Game Commission land, and because of the anticipated permitting problems with multiple state agencies - as well as a lack of manpower to build and run it - there are currently no plans to build a privy at this site. Sorry.:( Because of the lack of a privy and difficulty in getting water from any of the 3 springs down below the shelter, most of the problems associated with a shelter this close to a road do not exist. It's about as primitive as you can get these days, but it's a welcome sight in a downpour!:)

Jester2000
04-03-2007, 18:38
It was adequately sized until people started getting taller, I think. I'd recommend stopping by to see this shelter, and then moving on. Don't count on water here -- the top two sources are often dry and the third is a long way down off the ridge.

If you're northbound and you pass Allentown Shelter to get here you're going to be mad at yourself.

Twofiddy
04-05-2007, 18:30
You practically have to get on your knees to crawl in ...but on a rainy night in 2003 it sure came in handy !!

'Slogger
AT 2003

AMEN TO THAT!!

I spent the night there all by my lonesome in 03, well me and the snake, and it was lumpy, there were no mice...

It thunderstormed that night like I have never seen before in my life but I stayed dry and slept in the next day!!

shelterbuilder
04-05-2007, 22:35
It was adequately sized until people started getting taller, I think. I'd recommend stopping by to see this shelter, and then moving on. Don't count on water here -- the top two sources are often dry and the third is a long way down off the ridge.

If you're northbound and you pass Allentown Shelter to get here you're going to be mad at yourself.

I guess I should have been a little more clear on the "size" of the place - not head-room, but rather carrying capacity. I agree that anyone over 5'6" will have to duck down, but in bad weather, any solid structure is a blessing. Besides, Allentown is nice and new and very well planned and executed, but there's still a lot to be said for rustic, and that's what Bake Oven Knob is. It is definitely a link to the time in which it was built.

It's unfortunate that, in Pa., water on the ridgetop has always been a problem. There is no solution except to go DOWN. In 20+ years, I've never seen that third spring fail, but I have seen it run really slow in dry years. I think that we are going to see the ridgetop water supply become more of a problem due to development. As more country homes and industries sink wells for water, the water table drops more, and the higher springs are affected first. When I joined BMECC, some of the old-timers pointed out several springs that "never" went dry. (Sand Spring, a few miles south of Eagle's Nest shelter was one of these.) But many of these now dry up for weeks at a time, and I believe that development in the valleys is the main cause. (The springs that drain off the north face of the ridge are less affected because the development is less there.)

saimyoji
03-22-2008, 18:54
Recently cleaned (last time I was there it was a trash dump ****hole). Some chubknockers tried to start a campfire on the picnic table, even though there's a fire ring. Tent area is well groomed, more camp sites along the trail should take some pressure off this shelter.

Spring was gushing.

Interesting excerpt from the register: "Adam's yeast infection smells like his socks and is getting worse."

saimyoji
03-22-2008, 18:57
Other entries in the register note 24 people sleeping in the shelter one night. And I've got a bridge for sale, just north of the shelter over the Lehigh.

shelterbuilder
03-23-2008, 12:13
Other entries in the register note 24 people sleeping in the shelter one night. And I've got a bridge for sale, just north of the shelter over the Lehigh.

If there were 24 people sleeping IN that shelter, they must have been REALLY close friends!!! :eek:

HMboy
03-23-2008, 12:37
i was there on march 16th, 2008 again. the springs were all gushing because of a few hours of heavy rain that morning. i read in the trail journal about the 24 people sleeping in the shelter. it was posted by some 8 year-olds i think. a lady responded later in the book about telling them that it was built for 6, but in bad weather it could fit more. she said she made up a number to tell them when they asked her how many could possibly fit. it was a nice weekend, chilly untill the sun came out, but in the evening and early mornings it snowed. the shelter wasn't bad, but i cleaned it. if you need any fire wood, by the second spring are many trees and dead branches that fell down. we had a fire going for hours with this wood.

darkage
04-01-2008, 18:44
As a local, i hike and camp past this shelter multiple times a year ... i've shown up there with the area trimmed and clean ... prolly shortly after maintence went thro ... I've also been thro with the shelter in complete disaster ... the problem is, kids get up the mountain and party at the shelter .... there's PLENTY of camping areas around the shelter and along the trail from 309 south of bake oven to ashfield road north of bake oven ... Cops have been up there plenty of times for car break in's on over nighter's ... The 3 springs at this shelter are iffy, the top spring runs well during spring and rainfalls ... the second one down is alittle more reliable ... and like the guy above me said ... i've never seen the third run in the least ... I'd consider the area just fine for passing thro if in a tent, but i wouldn't "even being local" sleep in the shelter.

X-LinkedHiker
04-04-2008, 14:25
Bake Oven could have some of the best small shelters from rock overhangs. Always be on the lookout for snakes and spiders.
http://www.alphabluetech.com/kjhanlon/images/Picz/Albums/BOK/slides/100_3525.JPG
You'll get a lot of these guys around and they can web fast.

shelterbuilder
06-05-2008, 22:21
We were talking about this shelter in another thread, so I thought I'd pull up this old photo (c. 1996). It hasn't changed much over the years - it's small, but it's a welcome retreat from the rain and wind.

Built in 1937, this shelter was the site of BMECC's ceremonies to officially open the section of the Appalachian Trail from the Susquehanna River to the Lehigh River. It may be the oldest shelter on the AT in the mid-Atlantic region.

saimyoji
06-20-2008, 19:38
As of today, the shelter was clean, no trash at all, no hiker "left overs" though there were a few paperback novels. The only spring running is #3, way down the hill. I questioned the trail blazing to the last spring as I got totally turned around on the way up. Lightheaded thirsty hikers could easily end up on BOK road, instead of back at the shelter. :D

Del Q
06-20-2008, 22:34
When I was there it was a real mess, trail journal was shredded, cleaned up a bit and slept in a tent. Saw a flying squirrel. Nice picnic table!

Oldie not a goodie.

rafe
06-20-2008, 23:15
We were talking about this shelter in another thread, so I thought I'd pull up this old photo (c. 1996). It hasn't changed much over the years - it's small, but it's a welcome retreat from the rain and wind.

Built in 1937, this shelter was the site of BMECC's ceremonies to officially open the section of the Appalachian Trail from the Susquehanna River to the Lehigh River. It may be the oldest shelter on the AT in the mid-Atlantic region.

A little hard to tell from the photo but it looks to be of the same design and vintage as Leroy Smith shelter... Agree with Del Q, "oldie not a goodie."

Strategic
06-26-2008, 00:50
A little hard to tell from the photo but it looks to be of the same design and vintage as Leroy Smith shelter... Agree with Del Q, "oldie not a goodie."

No, Leroy Smith is newer than that. It was built in 1972 and is a bit different from Bake Oven Knob, being a more dressed and better joined construction. But you're right, both are pretty small and I'd prefer not to sleep in either (well, okay, any shelter.) But Smith is very well maintained.

Shelterbuilder, Bake Oven Knob is only the oldest in the mid-Atlantic if you're not counting NY. Two of the three stone shelters in Harriman State Park (Fingerboard and West Mountain) date from 1928. They're wonderful pieces of architecture (what I've dubbed "Sleepy Hollow Rustic") but I'd avoid sleeping in one like the plague; damp, drafty, and Fingerboard has bats (or at least had them before Colony Collapse Disorder hit) living in the roof beams. Quite lovely if you're sitting out front watching them fly at dusk, but not so good if you're sleeping directly under them.:D

Jack Tarlin
06-26-2008, 00:52
Strategic:

This is interesting stuff and you seem very well informed.

I hope you start posting here more often.

Blue Jay
06-26-2008, 07:57
Shelterbuilder, Bake Oven Knob is only the oldest in the mid-Atlantic if you're not counting NY. Two of the three stone shelters in Harriman State Park (Fingerboard and West Mountain) date from 1928. They're wonderful pieces of architecture (what I've dubbed "Sleepy Hollow Rustic") but I'd avoid sleeping in one like the plague; damp, drafty, and Fingerboard has bats (or at least had them before Colony Collapse Disorder hit) living in the roof beams. Quite lovely if you're sitting out front watching them fly at dusk, but not so good if you're sleeping directly under them.:D

I love the old shelters and I love the term "Sleepy Hollow Rustic". I stayed in all three this spring. Not only does Fingerboard have the lovely bats, but West Mountain had a resident skunk. My only complaint is that it was too early for much mouse activity and no hikers to snore for me. I agree that Strategic should post more often.

shelterbuilder
06-26-2008, 21:55
No, Leroy Smith is newer than that. It was built in 1972 and is a bit different from Bake Oven Knob, being a more dressed and better joined construction. But you're right, both are pretty small and I'd prefer not to sleep in either (well, okay, any shelter.) But Smith is very well maintained.

Great post! I was unaware of the construction dates of Fingerboard and West Mountain - thanks for correcting me.

Back when many of the "first generation" shelters were being built, there weren't that many people out using them (not like today), and let's face it - you don't build big for a handful of users. Expectations were somewhat different back then, too: somewhere to get in out of the rain or snow was a godsend, no matter how smallish it was. Nowadays, you need to plan for larger groups and more singles, so the shelters have just gotten bigger.

Hope to see you posting here more often! :sun

darkage
08-01-2008, 12:58
Anyone know the water situation as of Aug 1st? 08.

emerald
08-01-2008, 13:12
Someone else might know, but I wouldn't count on it. There was a good soaker in western Berks County last night. I don't know how large an area was involved in this rain event or whether it was enough to improve the flow of springs on Kittatinny Ridge.

darkage
08-01-2008, 16:56
welp, i'll find out tonight and post when i return ... doing a short 309-lehigh gap trip.

darkage
08-03-2008, 13:49
Third spring was NOT running as of aug 3rd ... The man's house "Forget his name" just below the spring on the blue blazed trail offers water from his home .... You may have to bush wack to his house, i couldn't find the trail ...

emerald
08-03-2008, 14:04
Thank you for your post. Please post information about the springs at New Tripoli Campsite and George W. Outerbridge Shelter in the appropriate locations!

What darkage confirmed is normal and should be expected by hikers at this time of year unless there's a recent, substantial rain event.

saimyoji
08-03-2008, 14:09
sorry i missed this, i could have told you exactly what you found. usually there is a note taped to the tree with the shelter sign on it indicating lack of water. it was there a week ago. that guys house is a long way down aint it?

shelterbuilder
08-03-2008, 21:05
The guy's name is Craig, and he and his father (and Grandfather before that) own and run the quarry below the shelter. They have always been great friends of the trail (and BMECC), providing water for hikers and access for trail/shelter maintenence. The third spring is, in fact, named for this fellow, who supposedly found it when he was younger, and brought it's existance to the attention of the shelter maintainer at the time.

Joe8484
11-13-2008, 13:19
Anyone know the water situation for these springs? :)

emerald
11-13-2008, 15:06
My guess is you'd find water the next 4 days based upon weather forecasts if you're prepared to walk downhill to find it, but I wouldn't rely exclusively upon those springs.

Bring water from home and prepare meals which don't require much for their preparation or clean-up.

darkage
08-17-2009, 16:06
Any current info on the state of the 3 springs aug 2009 ?

Heading out this week and wanna know if i need to bladder up and just pass this spring or take the walk down .... most times there are notes ... but i figured i'd check WB.

saimyoji
08-17-2009, 16:48
i'd imagine the third spring would be flowing, but its a long way down. probably better to carry unless you are camping nearby, which i can't imagine why you'd want to. where are you starting from?

darkage
08-17-2009, 21:36
Just going from 309 into palmerton ... quick overnight or so taking a friends kid along .... he's 17 and wanted to try it out so i broke out some extra gear and gonna head out ... its what ... 1 1/2 to the third spring ? ... its a heck of a walk but not one i'm not used too .... thanks.

saimyoji
08-17-2009, 22:35
where you gonna camp? there are some sweet spots between ashfield rd. and lehigh gap, specially if you take the north trail.

Lellers
09-29-2009, 20:05
Stopped here for lunch today on a 16 mile hike from Lehigh Gap and back. No shelter register and a fair bit of trash. We picked up what we could to carry out. There was a lot of trash in various campsites south of Ashfield Rd. My hiking partner carried out two large plastic sheets that were left in one site, and those are now at my house where they'll be used for drop cloths for some future painting projects.

darkage
09-30-2009, 03:33
Yeah, sadly their are some homeless around that area ... Could be the remains of them you've packed out ... as a local i thank you for your efforts .... i try also to carry out what i find ... the knob shelter is one of the worst i've seen on the trail ... i wouldn't stay there ...

spindle
09-30-2009, 07:33
Too much trail accessible parking. The locals use it as a weekend drinking destination.

I wouldn't stay there either.

shelterbuilder
09-30-2009, 19:14
Sadly, Bake Oven Knob Shelter gets more than its fair share of abuse. It's a tiny shelter by today's standards (this one was built in the 1930's), and it IS too close to the parking lot. BMECC does its best with this one - and we thank you guys for picking up all of that trash. The other year, I went in at the end of the season, and I personally carried out several bags of trash PLUS some old carpet padding that had been used (apparently) as a foam sleeping pad by someone (homeless, perhaps?).

Over the years, I've seen the same kind of abuse at other shelters that were too easy to reach (notably the Outerbridge Shelter). Decades ago, it was standard practice to build shelters close to the roads so that the maintainers could get in and out easily, but that causes problems with the party crowd and vagrants, so now the prevailing wisdom says to locate shelters no less than 2 miles AWAY from roads. Of course, with a wheelbarrow and coolers on wheels....

Thanks again, guys.:):):)

Pootz
06-24-2010, 15:40
M&M and I plan to hike to Bake Oven Knob shelter this weekend, hopefully the shelter area will be in good shape. Just in case it is not I will take a couple garbage bags with me.

Strategic
06-25-2010, 11:32
I'm planning on overnighting between 309 and Lehigh Gap Saturday and Sunday, so I'll be at Bake Oven Knob on Saturday night. Maybe I'll see you both there.

It should be in very good shape, BTW, since shelterbuilder and and the BMECC crew just put a new roof on it (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1025894#post1025894)last week. I'm looking forward to the brand new picnic table, myself.

shelterbuilder
06-25-2010, 18:13
I'm planning on overnighting between 309 and Lehigh Gap Saturday and Sunday, so I'll be at Bake Oven Knob on Saturday night. Maybe I'll see you both there.

It should be in very good shape, BTW, since shelterbuilder and and the BMECC crew just put a new roof on it (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1025894#post1025894)last week. I'm looking forward to the brand new picnic table, myself.

Well, there was NO TRASH in the area when we left on Sunday...but you know how these things go!:eek:
We still have to get back in and stain the table top and seats (these were made of untreated lumber, while the legs and braces were P.T.), and I need to take a chalkline and a saw and straighten out the ends of the top (I tend to be a wood-butcher instead of a cabinet-maker when it's hot and I'm tired), but enjoy the table -- it's certainly better than the old one. We had intended to simply repair the old table, but that was based on an inspection that was over 3 months old. By the time we got in last weekend and looked at the poor thing, we knew that it was destined for firewood.
BTW - feel free to use the "leftovers" from the old table as firewood, if weather conditions are suitable for one. The pressure treated lumber has been removed for disposal - all that remains is untreated wood.
The 2 upper springs are dry, but the lower one (Craig's Spring) was still running well last weekend.

Strategic
06-27-2010, 19:21
Just back from my overnight. The shelter was very clean (no worries there shelterbuilder) and the new roof was lovely.

I'm afraid it's not enough to get people to actually stay in the shelter, though. I was there with Rockfight (he's doing Harper's Ferry to Katahdin) and the two of us hung our hammocks in the small campsite right by the shelter. When I rolled in Saturday evening, a group of four (sectioning SOBO) had just decided to keep going and look for a campsite a bit further on, since there was also a group of four up at the campsite on the other side of the AT and with Rockfight and I in the near campsite there was no room for them to pitch tents. Six of us there, four more moved on, and only Rockfight and I used the shelter at all.

But the picnic table is a thing of beauty.

By the way, two other developments of interest. First, I read in the register that some bonehead killed the black rat snake that's lived there for quite a while last week (just after you guys were there, shelterbuilder.) Can't imagine what possessed the idiot, but now a shelter that was mouse-free may not be so in the future. The second thing is that apparently the local rabbits have taken the snake's demise as license to be bold and brave. Rabbits were everywhere, including under the shelter (one hopped out of the hole in the wire under the steps while I was eating breakfast at that new picnic table.) They also had no fear of people at all and would just sit there three or four feet away and eat as you walked by. I've never seen wild rabbits this bold, it was pretty funny.

All in all a good trip and I'm glad it worked out that I spent the night.

Oh, one other thing to burden shelterbuilder with (actually, I hope not, because I hope it's someone else's responsibility.) The shelter may be clean, but the amount of trash at the lot on Bake Oven Knob road is terrible. It looks like a bunch of bagged trash was left there and then torn into by animals and scattered. It's literally piled up beside the trailhead up to the Knob. I'm hoping you'll know who that needs to be reported to for swift action.

shelterbuilder
06-27-2010, 20:39
Just back from my overnight. The shelter was very clean (no worries there shelterbuilder) and the new roof was lovely.

I'm afraid it's not enough to get people to actually stay in the shelter, though. I was there with Rockfight (he's doing Harper's Ferry to Katahdin) and the two of us hung our hammocks in the small campsite right by the shelter. When I rolled in Saturday evening, a group of four (sectioning SOBO) had just decided to keep going and look for a campsite a bit further on, since there was also a group of four up at the campsite on the other side of the AT and with Rockfight and I in the near campsite there was no room for them to pitch tents. Six of us there, four more moved on, and only Rockfight and I used the shelter at all.

But the picnic table is a thing of beauty.

By the way, two other developments of interest. First, I read in the register that some bonehead killed the black rat snake that's lived there for quite a while last week (just after you guys were there, shelterbuilder.) Can't imagine what possessed the idiot, but now a shelter that was mouse-free may not be so in the future. The second thing is that apparently the local rabbits have taken the snake's demise as license to be bold and brave. Rabbits were everywhere, including under the shelter (one hopped out of the hole in the wire under the steps while I was eating breakfast at that new picnic table.) They also had no fear of people at all and would just sit there three or four feet away and eat as you walked by. I've never seen wild rabbits this bold, it was pretty funny.

All in all a good trip and I'm glad it worked out that I spent the night.

Oh, one other thing to burden shelterbuilder with (actually, I hope not, because I hope it's someone else's responsibility.) The shelter may be clean, but the amount of trash at the lot on Bake Oven Knob road is terrible. It looks like a bunch of bagged trash was left there and then torn into by animals and scattered. It's literally piled up beside the trailhead up to the Knob. I'm hoping you'll know who that needs to be reported to for swift action.

Thanks for the good grades on the table! :D As for the snake, some folks JUST DON'T THINK. (BMECC has a locked cabin near Rt. 501, and we have several black snakes-in-residence; I always tell club members to leave the snakes alone - they are nature's mousetraps. I hope that another one moves in and not a rattler/copperhead.

Glad that you enjoyed the place. As for the trash at the parking lot, I'll pass along the bad word to the Game Commission (which is not in the trash-business, but MAY be able to send out a crew). We've cleaned up at this location before, but remote areas with easy access tend to have these kinds of problems.

emerald
06-27-2010, 23:27
The shelter may be clean, but the amount of trash at the lot on Bake Oven Knob road is terrible. It looks like a bunch of bagged trash was left there and then torn into by animals and scattered. It's literally piled up beside the trailhead up to the Knob. I'm hoping you'll know to whom it needs to be reported for swift action.

Many people don't like my ideas, but the time may have come long ago for a gate. Some don't give a damn about respecting laws designed to protect resources.

Why make our treasures available to people who don't appreciate them and despoil some of the best places which remain?

AaronS
10-10-2010, 19:39
My wife and I were there just a couple hours ago, It was nice and clean.

Me and a friend of mine are hiking from bake oven to hawk mountain in two weeks. Neither one of us has hiked in quite a while. We have been talking about it for a couple years and now we're finally able to. I'm pretty excited and found this site while searching for info. After reading about the shelter I had to go check it out. Like I said the shelter was nice and clean. I was surprised at how many people were there, everyone seemed to be hanging around the lookout. Mostly young kids in jeans, t-shirts and sneakers smoking (cigs & pot) and playing on cellphones. Only saw one guy and his sons with packs on.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/PAyotehunter/IMG_20101010_170123.jpg

emerald
10-10-2010, 20:43
Thanks for your report. Hope you and your friend enjoy your hike from Bake Oven Knob to Hawk Mountain.

Be advised, if you take Hawk Mountain Sanctuary's Skyline Trail from the A.T. to North Lookout, it may be difficult to negotiate with anything more than a small day pack.

AaronS
10-10-2010, 22:57
Thanks for the info.
We are starting at bake oven road and ending at hawk mountain road. If I measured correctly its about 15.5 miles, we didn't plan on taking any side trails...

Is there a forum for asking questions/talking about hiking or planning for a hike in Pennsylvania???

Thanks
Aaron

emerald
10-10-2010, 23:05
Ordinarily someone just starts a new thread in the General or Straight-forward Forums. You may want to try searching for the information you seek since most topics have already been discussed multiple times.

ATC's Hike the Trail (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805465/k.9760/Hike_the_Trail.htm) and ALDHA's Companion available at the link below may be helpful. You may also email BMECC or me directly for assistance.

darkage
10-11-2010, 21:20
Hey aaron, welcome to whiteblaze! .... As a local, i've hiked all of PA and know it rather well ... if you have any questions you're welcome to send me a message or if i see any posts i'll look too answer the best i can .... 2 words to begin, "Cumberland Valley".

AaronS
10-13-2010, 16:22
Emerald,
Thanks again for the info.

Darkage,
Thanks for the welcome.
Whats with "Cumberland Valley"?

I will be making a post shortly in the General Forum with questions on Time & Distance, Water, etc. Would appreciate and thoughts or info....

I moved the photo and broke the link in my post above so I'm reposting it.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/PAyotehunter/Camping-Hiking/IMG_20101010_170458.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/PAyotehunter/Camping-Hiking/IMG_20101010_170443.jpg

emerald
10-13-2010, 16:53
If you intend to do more than a short day-hike a season, it would be money and time well spent to buy and read Guide to the Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania. All the essential information you need is provided and you can't get better maps which are especially important in Pennsylvania despite what you may read here.

Furthermore, I would like to seize this opportunity to encourage you to participate in a BMECC hike or two which appeal to you and to ask any and all questions that cross your mind as you walk.

AaronS
10-13-2010, 21:07
I just bought the guide book and map set for PA and the 2010 data book yesterday afternoon at Nestor's.
I will look up info on BMECC and check it out.
Thanks

emerald
10-14-2010, 11:04
http://www.bmecc.org/Schedule%20of%20Events.htm (http://www.bmecc.org/Schedule%20of%20Events.htm)

GalHikingTheGap
03-25-2011, 21:40
What is recommended food storage overnight when staying at or near this shelter? (X-posted in several Lehigh Vally shelter topics in hopes of getting a response before hitting for the weekend tomorrow.)
Bash

darkage
10-26-2011, 22:56
I know you posted in feb. But future advice is simple. I personally only hang strong smelling items like meats I pack in for the first night or two. Otherwise Ive always slept with my food bag in tent. Bears are active in the area. Your choice.

DrL
11-23-2014, 19:42
Stopped at Bake Oven Knob shelter for lunch on 11/16. We packed out some small trash items, but there were two presumably leaky tarps left behind. It seemed like someone attempted to repair the one with a trash bag and some tape. I guess it didn't work...

ZsecHzia
08-26-2016, 16:40
Parking at Ashfield Rd? Is it allowed? Any problems if yes? How about shuttles meeting at this location? Do you know of any shuttles who can drive us back to Eckville, PA?

DrL
08-26-2016, 18:47
http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/

Good resource for parking locations and quality thereof.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk