PDA

View Full Version : has anybody seen cement sneakers

neo
03-03-2006, 16:06
has anyone seen cementsneakers he started monday:cool: neo

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9955&catid=578

lobster
03-03-2006, 16:09
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">He's stuck! </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
He's stu

neo
03-03-2006, 16:19
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">He's stuck!

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
He's stustuck were:cool: neo

neo
03-03-2006, 17:35
my buddy and fellow whiteblazer sneakers just called me from blairsville ga,he is doing fine,except he had to get a new pack at neals gap,the sixmoon designs comet pack few apart on day 2.:cool: neo

neo
03-04-2006, 10:04
one thing for sure,sneakers is a heck of a lot nicer person than minnesota smith:cool: neo

neo
03-07-2006, 15:10
my buddy sneakers called me from the blue berry patch hostel in ga today
still taking his time but still hiking,way to go sneakers:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9955&c=665&userid=3462

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9956&c=665&userid=3462

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9958&c=665&userid=3462

Sly
03-07-2006, 17:15
he is doing fine,except he had to get a new pack at neals gap,the sixmoon designs comet pack few apart on day 2.

I wonder what the problem was. If it was abused and/or overloaded or was a product defect?

neo
03-07-2006, 21:43
I wonder what the problem was. If it was abused and/or overloaded or was a product defect?

it was a brand new pack,he got it a week before his hike,he carried a gregory z pack when we did a 65 mile hike in 3 and a half days last month
i advised him frameless rucks are lighter,but not for everyone,not sure how he packed it:cool: neo

Turtle2
03-08-2006, 13:56
Neo,

Tell Sneakers hello for me and wish him well.

neo
03-11-2006, 19:47
Neo,

Tell Sneakers hello for me and wish him well.

he made it to winding stair gap,his over the 100 mile mark,way ta go john:cool: neo

neo
03-12-2006, 11:31
go sneakers go,turtle2 says hi,me and the wife are cheering ya on:cool: neo

neo
03-14-2006, 19:46
my buddy sneakers gotta new trail name,he called me from NOC today
he goes by nsom newyork state of mind,anyway i am glad he is doing great
only a couple of us on white blaze know john,me and turtle2:cool: neo

neo
03-17-2006, 23:56
my buddy sneakers emailed me from fontana today
i know he will make it,:cool: neo

Hi All:

I'd love to answer each and everyone op your emAils, but I'm on a pay
for internet service that is the pits.

To answer some o f your questions. For the most part, I am hiking
alone, but share the shelters with most of the same people. Missing most
of the storms, but the forcast is rain here Sunday and that will mean
snow in the mountains. Since we will have a 3 thousand foot gain,
chances are we will have snow. We are starting the Smokeys Sunday and
expect to be at Clingmans Dome about Tuesday or Wednesday.

I just purchased enough food for a week. Should be enough to get me
through the Smokeys.

I have taken many pictures and can't wait to share them with you.
I'll have to get them online some time.

Regards,

John

neo
03-22-2006, 17:43
my buddy and fellow whiteblazer is in gatlinberg today:cool: neo

Rick,

Cold, yes, it has been cold! We had a rain, sleet, and snow storm two days ago. I stopped at a shelter and spent the rest of the day and night there. Some of the young ones went on. For what? Seven more miles out of 2100. I decided this was going to be fun and fun it has been for the most part. I'm not taking any unnecessary chances.

Last night, we had another cold ice storm. It was below 20 degrees, but I was warm and snug in my sleeping bag. Hiked over clingman's Dome yesterday and hiked to the highway for Gatlinburg today. Got lucky, a fellow from my hometown picked us up and drove us the fifteen miles into town.

Spending the night in a hotel here and will leave for the trail in the A.M. Three more days and I'll be out of the Smokies.

Regards,

John

me and my whiteblazin buddy cement sneakers

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9955&catid=member&imageuser=3462

fellow whiteblazer turtle2 and sneakers

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9954&c=member&imageuser=3462

sdoownek
03-22-2006, 19:58
Are we going to get daily updates on this guy for his entire hike?

neo
03-22-2006, 20:57
Are we going to get daily updates on this guy for his entire hike?

:D hi sdoownek thanks for the nice email you sent:cool: neo

Given your inability to clearly express your thoughts, the
incompleteness of your "responses", and the trollfactor, I'm starting to wonder if
you're an ignorant; you just like the attention that you get from
posting like one; you're a child, or if you're just plain old stump*****
stupid.

If you were never educated, then you have an excuse and I would
understand your compulsion to respond in a passive agressive manner. Short
quips don't express ideas, they are opinions without supporting fact.

If you're just simply attracting attention, then congratulations,
you've spurred me into responding.

If you're truly a child, then I strongly suggest that you correct your
"age" from the 47 as listed currently to your acutal age.

If you're just plain old stump**** stupid, well, then you probably
haven't read this far.

I know this message won't change your posting behaviour, but I thought
I might try to express the fact that you're not creating friends

if ya dont like it dont read it,he is good friend and whiteblazer,just cheering him on:cool: neo

sdoownek
03-23-2006, 07:17
I sent you that email, in private, so that you wouldn't have to look like an idiot in public. I don't know why, but you fail to appreciate the fact that your only means of establishing any manner of intelligence in this medium is through the written statements that we share. If your responses are riddled with grammatical mistakes, why should other people undergo the painful experience of reading them, especially when you’re posting messages that, self-admittedly, a minuscule minority are interested in reading?

I dun rite lke dis b/c its painfull 2 red it. wut make U dffrent that U shud B abel 2 do dis all time?

I am not suggesting that you write the Kings English(sic), so don't confuse the issue. At the very least, take the time to spell check your posts. I realize that it’s far beyond reasonability to suggest anything more.

However:

"his over the 100 mile mark"
"gatlinberg"
"my buddy sneakers gotta new trail name"
"the sixmoon designs comet pack few apart on day 2"

I'm not even sure what you meant by that last one. Those are just examples on *this* page of this thread. I stand behind what I sent you in a private communication. I didn't post anything here, in (failed) hopes that you would respond in kind.

To close; if you are comfortable with the appearance of being an idiot, then say so and I'll never address the issue again.

Thanks

neo
03-23-2006, 09:01
I sent you that email, in private, so that you wouldn't have to look like an idiot in public. I don't know why, but you fail to appreciate the fact that your only means of establishing any manner of intelligence in this medium is through the written statements that we share. If your responses are riddled with grammatical mistakes, why should other people undergo the painful experience of reading them, especially when you’re posting messages that, self-admittedly, a minuscule minority are interested in reading?

I dun rite lke dis b/c its painfull 2 red it. wut make U dffrent that U shud B abel 2 do dis all time?

I am not suggesting that you write the Kings English(sic), so don't confuse the issue. At the very least, take the time to spell check your posts. I realize that it’s far beyond reasonability to suggest anything more.

However:

I'm not even sure what you meant by that last one. Those are just examples on *this* page of this thread. I stand behind what I sent you in a private communication. I didn't post anything here, in (failed) hopes that you would respond in kind.

To close; if you are comfortable with the appearance of being an idiot, then say so and I'll never address the issue again.

Thanks

ok buddy,i am a hillbilly,besides i did that yall,wuz,as a joke,i joke a lot:cool: neo

sdoownek
03-23-2006, 09:40
Wow.
I understood the first six words of your response. After that, it started to fall apart. What does "I did that y'all was as a joke" mean?

However, I have the cognitive ability to understand that what you're trying to say is "Yes, I'm an uneducated hillbilly and don't know how to employ proper grammar or the written word. I'll cover up my ignorance by saying that a lot of my responses are based in humor."

In doing some reading on this site, I realize now that you are at a distinct disadvantage for cognitive ability and continued education given the life and brain altering choices that you've made in the past. I am fortunate enough to be able to drink and recognize my limits, so while I don't fully understand your compulsion to drink yourself stupid, I congratulate you on your current state of being sober.

As promised, I'll leave this issue alone from now on.

So, moving on, I ask that you answer this:
Do you recognize that your extemporaneous preaching in regards to hammock use in every single thread is, in reality, useless, as it is based in an emotional response that contains no factual basis?

While I suspect that your initial response will be either a simple "yes" or "no", I also ask that you post the reasoning behind your answer. History will lead me to circumvent your reliance on "humor" as an excuse for your behavior. Your off-topic posts are, in fact, not funny and quite annoying. To have to read your unrelated interjections might have been interesting for the first 238 times. Now, it's just......tired. Please reconsider.

neo
03-23-2006, 09:59
Wow.
I understood the first six words of your response. After that, it started to fall apart. What does "I did that y'all was as a joke" mean?

However, I have the cognitive ability to understand that what you're trying to say is "Yes, I'm an uneducated hillbilly and don't know how to employ proper grammar or the written word. I'll cover up my ignorance by saying that a lot of my responses are based in humor."

In doing some reading on this site, I realize now that you are at a distinct disadvantage for cognitive ability and continued education given the life and brain altering choices that you've made in the past. I am fortunate enough to be able to drink and recognize my limits, so while I don't fully understand your compulsion to drink yourself stupid, I congratulate you on your current state of being sober.

Do you recognize that your extemporaneous preaching in regards to hammock use in every single thread is, in reality, useless, as it is based in an emotional response that contains no factual basis?

While I suspect that your initial response will be either a simple "yes" or "no", I also ask that you post the reasoning behind your answer. History will lead me to circumvent your reliance on "humor" as an excuse for your behavior. Your off-topic posts are, in fact, not funny and quite annoying. To have to read your unrelated interjections might have been interesting for the first 238 times. Now, it's just......tired. Please reconsider.

:D ok,maybe i flunked english in high school lol:cool: neo

neo
03-23-2006, 10:00
Wow.

:D are you related to minnesota smith lol:cool: neo

sdoownek
03-23-2006, 10:02
That's not a response to the question that's currently being addressed. I'm no longer addressing your inability to write. I'll repeat myself, as perhaps you didn't understand the change in direction of our conversation.

I've moved on to the following question:

neo
03-25-2006, 12:49
my buddy sneaker is stuck in gatlingburg,he says newfound gap rd closed due to snow:cool: neo

Hi All:

We received bad news from the rangers office this morning. The road
leading up to Newfound Gap is closed. We will not be able to get to the
trail. In addition, it is snowing here in Gatlinburg.

Chris and I are both getting tired of waiting this thing out.
Fortunately, the people here in gatlinburg have been very good to us.
Especially the employes of the Microtel Hotel.

Regards,

John

RockyTrail
03-26-2006, 19:37
Neo, I enjoy hearing cement sneakers' progress and wish the best to him (btw how'd he get that trailname, I'm sure there's a story there).

Y'all relax, neo's harmless, he just likes his hammock a lot:) , by the way I'm a tarp-tenter myself.

Rocky (I know, I'm stepping in it!):D

neo
03-27-2006, 04:19
Neo, I enjoy hearing cement sneakers' progress and wish the best to him (btw how'd he get that trailname, I'm sure there's a story there).

Y'all relax, neo's harmless, he just likes his hammock a lot:) , by the way I'm a tarp-tenter myself.

Rocky (I know, I'm stepping in it!):D

not to sure about trail name,he made it up himself,he is a great guy,a a good friend of mine:cool: neo

troglobil
03-27-2006, 10:20
Your off-topic posts are, in fact, not funny and quite annoying. To have to read your unrelated interjections might have been interesting for the first 238 times. Now, it's just......tired. Please reconsider.
Personnally I enjoy Neo's posts, off topic or not. I have not been on WB for very long, but I have gone back and read most of the archives. Most threads I find myself asking how long till a hammock comment appears. Its like a running joke that has been around so long you are used to it and expect it. Sophomoric? Yes, but I never claimed to have grown up.
It will be nine more years till I can do my thru hike. I have been dreaming about it since 1977. Between college, work and family, I have had other priorities. I can retire in nine years at age 53 and will go for it then. Until then I enjoy reading about others hikes, so keep the updates coming

neo
03-27-2006, 10:49
Personnally I enjoy Neo's posts, off topic or not. I have not been on WB for very long, but I have gone back and read most of the archives. Most threads I find myself asking how long till a hammock comment appears. Its like a running joke that has been around so long you are used to it and expect it. Sophomoric? Yes, but I never claimed to have grown up.
It will be nine more years till I can do my thru hike. I have been dreaming about it since 1977. Between college, work and family, I have had other priorities. I can retire in nine years at age 53 and will go for it then. Until then I enjoy reading about others hikes, so keep the updates coming

:D thats the spirit,we got to keep it fun in life,humor will take you along way:cool: neo

and by the way,thanks

sdoownek
03-27-2006, 13:05
I can retire in nine years at age 53 and will go for it then. Until then I enjoy reading about others hikes, so keep the updates coming

Why wait to retire? I don't get it. Go now.

max patch
03-27-2006, 13:32

What part of this did you find unclear?

"....Between college, work and family, I have had other priorities..."

troglobil
03-27-2006, 13:58
Thanks Max Patch, you would think this:

However, I have the cognitive ability to understand that what you're trying to say .
would have applied to my response also.

But for those of you with less cognative ability, I have a good career that I like, but would not be able to take time off of to thru hike. It is something called responsibility and work ethic.

sdoownek
03-27-2006, 13:59
What part of this did you find unclear?"....Between college, work and family, I have had other priorities..."

I don't get why those things matter so much to you that you're willing to sacrifice your own life to obtain them. I don't get why you can't be honest enough with yourself to admit that you find comfort in the fact that you're stuck in your life.

You claim to be stuck by college, work and family. I know that very few people will agree with me, but those things, including family, take a backseat to your happiness and fulfillment.

As posted in another message:
You have a fundamental flaw in your logic. You're thinking that you are required to make money. You aren't. You're required to make enough money to support yourself, and, in most cases, that's not a lot. Anything other than supporting yourself is the pursuit of material possessions.

Now, don't get me wrong. In 1998, I started working as the CTO of a tech firm in northern Virginia. Made well into 6 figures, lived in the *right* neighborhood, went to JBL and bought the 911 turbo and a Rover, shopped at the *right* stores, and worked 100 hour weeks. But for what? So I could make my $2200 a month car payments, pay my $1000/month credit card bill when it came due, and pay my $4500 a month mortgage? I was totally and completely miserable. I hated my life, I was pissed off _all_ the time, and at 28, my blood pressure was upwards of 200/unhealthy.

So, I quit. Literally, in one day, I decided that I was going to can it all. In 3 weeks, I gave away and sold everything that I owned, bought a kayak, a bike, a pickup and was on my way up here to Alaska.

I've never been happier.

I work as a bike mechanic now. No stress, or very little. Sure, I only bring home $1600 a month, but the only worry I have is that Bill Bikeracer needs a new bottom bracket and doesn't know it yet.

I live on anywhere between $1050 and $1200 a month, depending on the season.
Cabin Rent, $450
Phone/DSL, $50
Electric $75
Heat, $75
Gas, $125
Food, $200
Pet Food, $25
Insurance $50
ATV, $150

You don't need a $4 cup of coffee every morning.
You don't need a video ipod.
You don't need a TV, DVD player or a netflix membership.
You don't need to go out to a bar and spend $50 on beer every weekend.
You don't need any of the other ***** that the marketing machine in the US tells you that you need.

The majority of the world lives on less than $2 a day, why can't you?

Sure, this is a diatribe about materialism. It just pisses me off that people claim to be stuck in their own lives when in reality, they're afraid to push themselves beyond their own comfort zone.

sdoownek
03-27-2006, 14:01
I have been dreaming about it since 1977

40 years is a long time to be miserable.

neo
03-27-2006, 14:02

:D some of us have priorities,some of us have a life:cool: neo

neo
03-27-2006, 14:06
40 years is a long time to be miserable.

:D trogobil does not sound miserable to me,sounds like he knows what he wants in life and is getting it,retiring at 53 sounds like he knows what he is doing:cool: neo

sdoownek
03-27-2006, 14:10
But for those of you with less cognative ability (snip)

I just couldn't pass it up.

Don't you find just a little bit of humor in the fact that you copied what I said, but then didn't spell the one word that you repeated from my post correctly?

Given the definition, you've gotta laugh. :)

Cognitive: of, relating to, or being conscious intellectual activity (as thinking, reasoning, remembering, imagining, or learning words)

troglobil
03-27-2006, 14:31
For some one who is so happy you sure get bent out of shape quick. I never said I was stuck anywhere. I said I have other priorities. I am not sacrificing anything. My family is my happiness. I have two wonderful daughters, the youngest now starting college ( with the money to pay for her education already saved). My oldest daughter is married with a good husband, job, and new baby. I have a job that I enjoy going to. I work as a Firefighter where I have fun everyday at work. Correction , every third day. I have plenty of time off with my work schedule to enjoy myself. My off days are spent caving, biking, kayaking, hiking, or if I want to, LAYING AROUND IN MY NEW HAMMOCK DOING NOTHING (that ones for you Neo). Heck, some days I have even been known to fix my own bike rather than pay someone who thinks he is better than everyone else to do it for me.
I don't have credit card bills, I live within my means. By the time I retire my house will be paid for (read no rent) and I will have a pension that will pay me more than I make while working.
I am living my dream. I may not be thru hiking right now, but it will come.My thru hike is not my obsession, it is something I want to do when the time in my life is right.

sdoownek
03-27-2006, 14:36
For some one who is so happy you sure get bent out of shape quick. I never said I was stuck anywhere. I said I have other priorities. I am not sacrificing anything. My family is my happiness. I have two wonderful daughters, the youngest now starting college ( with the money to pay for her education already saved). My oldest daughter is married with a good husband, job, and new baby. I have a job that I enjoy going to. I work as a Firefighter where I have fun everyday at work. Correction , every third day. I have plenty of time off with my work schedule to enjoy myself. My off days are spent caving, biking, kayaking, hiking, or if I want to, LAYING AROUND IN MY NEW HAMMOCK DOING NOTHING (that ones for you Neo). Heck, some days I have even been known to fix my own bike rather than pay someone who thinks he is better than everyone else to do it for me.
I don't have credit card bills, I live within my means. By the time I retire my house will be paid for (read no rent) and I will have a pension that will pay me more than I make while working.
I am living my dream. I may not be thru hiking right now, but it will come.My thru hike is not my obsession, it is something I want to do when the time in my life is right.

Done and done.
You've thought about it, that's all I'm looking for.

You have, however, misread my opinions. I don't think I'm better or worse than anybody else. Different in worldview? Most probably, yes.

Anyhow, if you've given it thought and it works for you, then keep on it. There are people who don't know enough to think about their lives.

troglobil
03-27-2006, 15:52
If you want to feel better about my innerself, you may find solice in knowing that I have already hiked all of Georgia, Parts of N.Carolina, the White Mountains, and a good chunk of W. Virginia and PA. Its not like I am staying off trail.
So what do say we dip into my $40 /week beer fund and tip one or two to living our own lives?

sdoownek
03-27-2006, 15:55
If you want to feel better about my innerself, you may find solice in knowing that I have already hiked all of Georgia, Parts of N.Carolina, the White Mountains, and a good chunk of W. Virginia and PA. Its not like I am staying off trail.
So what do say we dip into my $40 /week beer fund and tip one or two to living our own lives?

Sure, that works for me. As I said, my only gripe is with people who claim that they want to do something, but haven't given the thought to doing it.

You have done so, so I tip my beer (and hat) to you and wish you well.

neo
03-29-2006, 19:28
:) my buddy sneakers called me from his cell phone on top of snowbird mountain,he resupplied at standing bear hostel,said he would be in hotsprings in a couple days,way to go sneakers:cool: neo

lbbrown
03-30-2006, 18:53
up the post

chief
03-31-2006, 01:31
Now, don't get me wrong. In 1998, I started working as the CTO of a tech firm in northern Virginia. Made well into 6 figures, lived in the *right* neighborhood, went to JBL and bought the 911 turbo and a Rover, shopped at the *right* stores, and worked 100 hour weeks. But for what? So I could make my $2200 a month car payments, pay my $1000/month credit card bill when it came due, and pay my $4500 a month mortgage? I was totally and completely miserable. I hated my life, I was pissed off _all_ the time, and at 28, my blood pressure was upwards of 200/unhealthy.

If true, you have no standing to call Neo an idiot?

You do, however sound much like someone I used to know, Capt. Hazelwood of the Exxon Valdez. Downgraded from his six figure income to subsistance wages repairing bicycles. He permanently screwed up his life, as I suspect you did. Hiding from creditors or just a drunken slacker like the renouned capt?

sdoownek
03-31-2006, 03:47
If true, you have no standing to call Neo an idiot?

You do, however sound much like someone I used to know, Capt. Hazelwood of the Exxon Valdez. Downgraded from his six figure income to subsistance wages repairing bicycles. He permanently screwed up his life, as I suspect you did. Hiding from creditors or just a drunken slacker like the renouned capt?

None of the above.

the goat
03-31-2006, 09:35
HI NEO! i see you're logged on, i was starting to think you really left!

max patch
03-31-2006, 10:20

neo will be back, probably under a different screen name. how bout a white blaze t-shirt to the first person who recognizes him?!

neo
03-31-2006, 10:31

just came on to delete the rest of my gallery that attroll did not delete
it will take time one picture at a time.rick

neo
03-31-2006, 10:45
neo will be back, probably under a different screen name. how bout a white blaze t-shirt to the first person who recognizes him?!

here to delete profile info and gallery,it takes time to manually delete
all this stuff,i even thru my whiteblaze t-shirts and patches tn trash
last night,when i am thru with some thing i am thru with it
rick

Ender
03-31-2006, 11:14
Sorry to see you go. Good hiking in the future! Take care.

Tin Man
03-31-2006, 11:24
rick

This s*cks.

Neo, Do you really want to give in to the dark side?

bulldog49
03-31-2006, 11:35

That will be easy, it will be the guy posting on every thread how much he loves his hammock and his jetboil. No mystery there. ;)

Just Jeff
03-31-2006, 11:49
Maybe he'll come back with a Rainbow tarptent and an alkie stove!

MOWGLI
03-31-2006, 12:25
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

What's the matter Boston? Just found out that Johnny Damon owns a Jetboil stove and a Hennesy Hammock? :D

lobshot
03-31-2006, 12:48
Raise your hand if you need a "life coach" to come on here and tell you how and when to handle your professional career, family and pastimes. If I am ever in the market for that kind of advice, I will pay a professional, thank you very much.

Lugnut
03-31-2006, 13:31
This whole episode seems like much ado about a minor event. Being thin skinned has it's downside. If Neo, or anyone else, is so easily offended there's not much that whinning about it will help other than garner some unwarranted sympathy. With 7.000 plus members people come and go all the time. Whiteblaze will survive just fine! :)

Tin Man
03-31-2006, 13:40
This whole episode seems like much ado about a minor event. Being thin skinned has it's downside. If Neo, or anyone else, is so easily offended there's not much that whinning about it will help other than garner some unwarranted sympathy. With 7.000 plus members people come and go all the time. Whiteblaze will survive just fine! :)

Others may feel differently, but for me, this "ado about a minor event" is not about the thickness of one's skin, it is the "why bother if it is no longer any fun?" factor.

Ender
03-31-2006, 13:46
Another question we need to be asking is why is it even necessary to require thick skin on the general forums? There's a whole seperate area for people to talk to each other that way, one that requires you to enroll manually so you'er aware of the thick skin policy there. Thick skin or thin, it shouldn't matter out here in the normal area. If you are a thin skinned person, and I'm not saying neo was because I personally feel he took a bit of a beating and just got tired of it, you should feel safe out here without feeling like you're going to get attacked by the more trollish members.

Just Jeff
Seems to me that this is about the tone we want to set for the WB community. Verbal abuse may be accepted in the subscription threads, but as a member I don't want it to become the norm in the regular forums.

That said, thicker skin and ignoring it would go a long way towards solving the problem.

max patch
Lets not forget that neo actually checked out about a month ago when for reasons known only to himself almost all his posts were hillary is hot, i love hillary, hammocks are cool, blah blah blah. He used to post good stuff until then. The change in neo happened before our friend from AK showed up.

The site is better off if the neo of the last month stays away. The original neo is welcome back anytime imo.

Felon
03-31-2006, 13:49
rick

man, you need to relax or grow up or something. nobodies telling you to go. alls that really happened was that your pictures got moved around and put in differnt places. thats it. if your thinking thats a reason to burn your shirts of whatever, then dude from aslaska really was right about you.

Ender
03-31-2006, 13:52
man, you need to relax or grow up or something. nobodies telling you to go. alls that really happened was that your pictures got moved around and put in differnt places. thats it. if your thinking thats a reason to burn your shirts of whatever, then dude from aslaska really was right about you.

We don't know if this is what sent him packing or not.

Felon
03-31-2006, 13:52
Another question we need to be asking is why is it even necessary to require thick skin on the general forums? There's a whole seperate area for people to talk to each other that way, one that requires you to enroll manually so you'er aware of the thick skin policy there. Thick skin or thin, it shouldn't matter out here in the normal area. If you are a thin skinned person, and I'm not saying neo was because I personally feel he took a bit of a beating and just got tired of it, you should feel safe out here without feeling like you're going to get attacked by the more trollish members.

yeah, but neo said he was gonna leave long before dude from ak said he was an idiot, right? i just dont see why neo is flippin out and burning his wb shirts. if you ask me thats more crazy and whacky than the guy from AK.

D'Artagnan
03-31-2006, 13:54
I've been coming to this website long enough now to realize that sdoownek is just the latest entrant into the Prick-of-the-Month Club. I find it truly a shame that some self-aggrandizing blackguard has chosen to berate an otherwise harmless poster on this site. If you don't like reading someone's opinions or posts about certain topics, there are a number of simple solutions. You can either add them to your "Ignore" list, skip past their postings, or simply go somewhere else. You need not attempt to belittle them by questioning their education or writing skills. When you do so, you only make yourself look all the more like the prick I am certain you are.

And another thing, I for one am not the least bit impressed when someone comes on here and boasts about their cars, houses, making "well into 6 figures", and on and on ad nauseum. Usually, folks who do that are full of the stuff farmer's spread on their crops for fertilizer.

Ender
03-31-2006, 13:56
yeah, but neo said he was gonna leave long before dude from ak said he was an idiot, right? i just dont see why neo is flippin out and burning his wb shirts. if you ask me thats more crazy and whacky than the guy from AK.

Actually, no... neo left after the AK guy called him an idiot... multiple times.

neo
03-31-2006, 16:25
:D looks like we will get to here the progress of my buddy cement sneakers hike after all:cool: neo

:sun my 3000 post this one is for sneakers and all my very good friends here at
white blaze:cool: neo

Lugnut
03-31-2006, 19:04
Neo, has this all been an elaborate set-up for an April fool's joke. If so, it was a good one. If not, it should have been. :D

neo
03-31-2006, 20:36
he is hot springs now:cool: neo

Hi All:

We finally left Gatlinburg this past Sunday. We hiked through a foot
of snow in some areas, also wet slushy snow and mud, lots of mud. We
hiked for six straight days and we are now in Hot Springs, NC. A neat
little town. I was never slow glad to see a town. I was completely out
of food! We are now hiking around 15 miles a day. The uphill treks are
still killers, but it is getting easier.

No phone access here!

Regards,

John

neo
04-03-2006, 20:51
my buddy sneakers is in a little town a few miles from sams gap,he has done approx 315 miles so far,last nights storm was pretty extreme he said,it blew his 6 moondesigns tent down everything got wet,he is a great guy and fellow white blazer,i am gonna keep posting till he makes it to katahdin:cool: neo

Ender
04-04-2006, 00:19
Out of curiosity, what SMD tent is he using? How does he like it?

neo
04-04-2006, 10:41
Out of curiosity, what SMD tent is he using? How does he like it?

this pack failed before neals gap,he told them to burn it
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=37

he replaced it with a ula pack

the tent from sixmoon designs

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=36

he said it is worthless:cool: neo

Ender
04-04-2006, 10:53
the tent from sixmoon designs

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=36

he said it is worthless:cool: neo

Curious... I'd heard good things about that tent... What doesn't he like about it?

neo
04-04-2006, 10:58
Curious... I'd heard good things about that tent... What doesn't he like about it?

terrible in the wind,and it sags alot:cool: neo

Ender
04-04-2006, 11:04

Good to know... I was considering it. A friend of mine just got it and is hitting the trail ( in Hot Springs going north ) on Thursday or Friday... I look forward to his input as well.

neo
04-04-2006, 11:17
Good to know... I was considering it. A friend of mine just got it and is hitting the trail ( in Hot Springs going north ) on Thursday or Friday... I look forward to his input as well.

every body on wb blaze know's i am an obsessed hammock freak,but
if i was going to use a ul tent i would only consider one brand,one of henry
shires tarp tent's:cool: neo

http://www.tarptent.com/

Two Speed
04-04-2006, 11:19
That's odd. I've got a SMD Lunar and love it. Two questions:
1) Neo, you sure your hammock obsession isn't getting out of hand again?
2) Did your buddy try reading the instructions and follow them?

Tin Man
04-04-2006, 12:31

It might be helpful to know what direction the wind was coming from when the tent came down. Most tents have a preferred direction into the wind to minimize chances of a blowdown. Setting a taught pitch should easily prevent sagging. Loose soil or other challenging setup parameters can easily cause a lot of grief for any tent. I am not defending this particular tent, but just pointing out that there may be other factors involved that could impact any tent. I have blamed my tent (and other equipment) in the past when, in fact, it was the setup (me) that was at fault.

saimyoji
04-04-2006, 13:22
Sometimes the wind doesn't blow from the same direction all night. You can set up in one position, only to have the wind change. I can just picture someone repositioning their tent 4-5 times a night. NOT.

I've been blown around in my Eureka Timberline a few times. Still love it though a little heavy compared to the newer stuff.

Tin Man
04-04-2006, 13:47
Sometimes the wind doesn't blow from the same direction all night. You can set up in one position, only to have the wind change. I can just picture someone repositioning their tent 4-5 times a night. NOT.

That's the point. Perhaps the guy set it up for where the wind was coming at that time and it shifted during the night when the front came through - happens all the time.

saimyoji
04-04-2006, 16:43
Yeah, now I see, its not a free standing tent. Mine is. I just pick it up to adjust.....

..and the wind carries it off into the distance. Unless my packwife..I mean pack or wife is inside to weigh it down.:D

sparky2000
04-04-2006, 17:15
Thanks mom.

neo
04-06-2006, 10:46
john aka sneakers aka nsom called me from erwin today,he is going to the elms and have a big burger.and staying at miss janet's:cool: neo

the goat
04-06-2006, 11:32
john aka sneakers aka nsom called me from erwin today,he is going to the elms and have a big burger.and staying at miss janet's:cool: neo

is he having anything with the burger? coke, sprite or pepsi? perhaps some sides, a salad maybe? fries?
please! inquiring minds need to know!

max patch
04-06-2006, 12:19
blah blah blah, cement sneakers, blah blah blah, hillary is hot, blah blah blah, hammocks are cool, blah blah blah, i love longshanks, blah blah blah, my jet boil rocks, blah blah blah, i'd love to get hillary in a hamock, blah blah blah :cool: neo

nice post goat

Tin Man
04-06-2006, 12:41
"blah blah blah"? I thought it was "yada yada yada"

Sorry Neo. Does Sneakers have a journal going somewhere that might be more interesting than what he ate today?

Just Jeff
04-06-2006, 12:44
If y'all aren't interested in what neo posts about his friend, why do you keep reading the thread? AND taking the time to respond to it?! :-? :D

jazilla
04-06-2006, 13:03
Jeff's right. Better idea, why not start your own site called whinny girls are us. Then you could cry about anything you like.

Ender
04-06-2006, 14:00
If y'all aren't interested in what neo posts about his friend, why do you keep reading the thread? AND taking the time to respond to it?! :-? :D

Seriously. If they don't care, they shouldn't bother with it. I see no problem with posting updates about a current AT thru hiker on an AT hiking forum.

Though a link to an online trailjournal is a pretty good idea, if he has one.

neo
04-06-2006, 15:03
Seriously. If they don't care, they shouldn't bother with it. I see no problem with posting updates about a current AT thru hiker on an AT hiking forum.

Though a link to an online trailjournal is a pretty good idea, if he has one.

he dont have one:cool: neo

the goat
04-06-2006, 19:41

i hope you are not denigrating my genuine concern for the diet of cement sneakers. i find it to be an enthralling, fascinating, engaging, and riveting topic....i hang on his every burger.

max patch
04-06-2006, 20:35
i hope you are not denigrating my genuine concern for the diet of cement sneakers. i find it to be an enthralling, fascinating, engaging, and riveting topic....i hang on his every burger.

Hey its 8:30....wonder what the dude had for supper! Inquiring minds wanna know!

Just Jeff
04-06-2006, 21:07

I was just asking...I didn't realize how much you cared! :D

neo
04-06-2006, 21:09
Hey its 8:30....wonder what the dude had for supper! Inquiring minds wanna know!

i wonder if he is having sexual fantasies about hillary clinton?:cool: neo

neo
04-06-2006, 21:10

:D i will call him right now:cool: neo

Heater
04-06-2006, 22:06
i wonder if he is having sexual fantasies about hillary clinton?:cool: neo

That almost qualifies as phone sex:cool: austexs

neo
04-06-2006, 22:12

he is staying at miss janets tonite,he ate at erwin burrito co,he ate the big burrito:cool: neo

Alligator
04-06-2006, 22:29
he is staying at miss janets tonite,he ate at erwin burrito co,he ate the big burrito:cool: neo
Please relay any flatulence problems he may be having also:eek: .

Just Jeff
04-06-2006, 23:09

And then....

Whew! For a second there I thought you meant he was carrying a CELL PHONE on the AT!! But I know you wouldn't associate with someone so uncouth.

neo
04-06-2006, 23:25
And then....

Whew! For a second there I thought you meant he was carrying a CELL PHONE on the AT!! But I know you wouldn't associate with someone so uncouth.

:D he is carring one,he called me from the trail many times:cool: neo

MedicineMan
04-07-2006, 03:42
Please understand I have an English degree and 5 more to stack on top-so f****ing what, I get Neo's point...few really care here. The bottom line is that Neo (and I built trail with him when he was known as Rekon) was here long before you, he is a fixture of WB, not a troll, and generally just a good natured person. Obviously the trail updates he was posting were not intended to flame anyone-the act was innocent as expected from one with a good heart. You however have attacked him. Why? What service? For what good? I know this, if you were to walk in his shoes and carry his burdens you might see the word in a different light but I doubt any of us with Neo's burdens would go about so cheerfully. The only argument is bandwith and I'm sure Attroll will tell us when we are there.

neo
04-07-2006, 09:24
Please understand I have an English degree and 5 more to stack on top-so f****ing what, I get Neo's point...few really care here. The bottom line is that Neo (and I built trail with him when he was known as Rekon) was here long before you, he is a fixture of WB, not a troll, and generally just a good natured person. Obviously the trail updates he was posting were not intended to flame anyone-the act was innocent as expected from one with a good heart. You however have attacked him. Why? What service? For what good? I know this, if you were to walk in his shoes and carry his burdens you might see the word in a different light but I doubt any of us with Neo's burdens would go about so cheerfully. The only argument is bandwith and I'm sure Attroll will tell us when we are there.

:) thanks medicine man,i have always considered you as a good friend,i hope to see ya again building trail on the CT soon or on the AT hiking,former trail
name was recon lol,i really appreciate your kind words,its means alot to me
happy hiking and hammock hanging :cool: neo

neo
04-12-2006, 19:53
sneakers called me from kincora hostel,he arrived yesterday,he is taking a zero day after doing a 24 miler:cool: neo

Heater
04-12-2006, 21:37
sneakers called me from kincora hostel,he arrived yesterday,he is taking a zero day after doing a 24 miler:cool: neo

Is he tenting or is he using a hammock?:cool: austexs

neo
04-12-2006, 22:14
Is he tenting or is he using a hammock?:cool: austexs

he is sheltering mostly:cool: neo

totempole99
04-13-2006, 12:52
nsom=new york state of mind

neo
04-13-2006, 13:25

yep,thats his new trail name,he is still sneakers to me:cool: neo

neo
04-13-2006, 13:25

have you met john:cool: neo

totempole99
04-13-2006, 18:25
At Miss Janet's, after he had come back due to the wetness? I'm not sure quite what happened with him, but the second time around when he was there.

neo
04-13-2006, 20:16
At Miss Janet's, after he had come back due to the wetness? I'm not sure quite what happened with him, but the second time around when he was there.

thanks for the info john is is a very good friend of mine:cool: neo

neo
04-15-2006, 11:50
john called me this morning,he is now in damascus va:cool: neo

neo
04-22-2006, 14:58
sneakers is at the relax inn in atkins va,he said he still has sexual fantasies about hillary clinton after doing over 500 miles,go for it john,you are a few mile's short of 25 % of the trail hiked:cool: neo

neo
04-27-2006, 11:42
john is off the trail,he decided he had enough:cool: neo

Hi All:

Well, I hate to say it, but I quit after almost 600 miles. I made it
to Bland, Virginia and caught a buss for Hendersonville, TN. I just
couldn't take climbing another mountain or walking all day in the rain.
I'm happy with my effort and have nothing to feel down about.

Thank you all for your help, prayers and concerns.

Regards,

John

Tin Man
04-27-2006, 11:46
600 miles is quite an accomplishment and I applaud the effort and attitude - he should be proud about both.

Rain Man
04-27-2006, 12:01
600 miles is quite an accomplishment and I applaud the effort and attitude - he should be proud about both.

I agree 100%. That's a lot farther than 99.99% of us Americans hike.

Besides, maybe a few day's rest will whet his appetite again?

Rain:sunMan

Ender
04-27-2006, 12:45

I agree completely. Congrats to him for hiking 600 miles.

max patch
04-27-2006, 13:25
sneakers is at the relax inn in atkins va,he said he still has sexual fantasies about hillary clinton after doing over 500 miles,go for it john,you are a few mile's short of 25 % of the trail hiked:cool: neo

realizing that the trail is giving you disturbing images of sexual fantasies involving hillary is a great reason to quit hiking.

max patch
04-27-2006, 13:26
quick! update your stats.

Turtle2
04-27-2006, 14:55
Way to go, John. Glad you were able to do the 600 miles.

neo
04-28-2006, 14:48
realizing that the trail is giving you disturbing images of sexual fantasies involving hillary is a great reason to quit hiking.

hillary clinton is the ultimate babe,she is soooooooo hot:cool: neo

max patch
04-28-2006, 15:11
hillary clinton is the ultimate babe,she is soooooooo hot:cool: neo

Have you read "PASSION AND BETRAYAL" by Gennifer Flowers? Lot of good quotes about Hillary. Here's one; this is when Gennifer saw Hillary for the first time:

"I was shocked. She looked like a fat frump with her hair hanging down kind of curly and wavy. She had big, thick glasses; an ugly dress; and a big fat butt."

RockyTrail
04-28-2006, 17:20
Max, is there a reason you mentioned that on your 666th post? :-)

Tin Man
04-28-2006, 17:58
Max, is there a reason you mentioned that on your 666th post? :-)

That's funny. So, can we conclude that Neo has a thing for frumpy women with big fat butts? :-?