PDA

View Full Version : Craziest thing you've ever seen/done on the trail

longshank
03-03-2006, 16:18
I want DETAILS, you hear me? DETAILS!

max patch
03-03-2006, 16:40
This was so unusual that I remember writing it in my journal.

On my 1988 thru I was somewhere in Vermont when I came across a local who was out for some exercise by running on the trail. What made this an unusual is that while he was running he was using 2 lekki type hiking poles!

While many hikers used 1 hiking pole (almost always wood) this was the first and only time I saw anyone use 2 poles on my trip. Times have changed.

KirkMcquest
03-03-2006, 19:33

On my 1988 thru I was somewhere in Vermont when I came across a local who was out for some exercise by running on the trail. What made this an unusual is that while he was running he was using 2 lekki type hiking poles!

While many hikers used 1 hiking pole (almost always wood) this was the first and only time I saw anyone use 2 poles on my trip. Times have changed.

I really don't think this qualifies as 'crazy', dude, but I hear you.

SGTdirtman
03-03-2006, 21:00
I went to stop at this nice spring fed pond for lunch and as I walked down the path there was an old hiking couple (over 50 years old) rinsing off in the pond completely nude. They saw me and waved in a cheerfull manner and then of course they had to have a dog with them and as I was trying to make a polite retreat the dog kept following me. the man saw me trying to tell the dog to go back to its owners so he exited the water, halfway hung a towel around himself and came to retreive the dog. The old man waved again said thanks and went back to his naked wilderness bathing...

I'll never get that image out of my head.

Moxie00
03-04-2006, 00:23
Not far from dragons tooth I came upon two girls and a guy day hiking. They were taking a break and Paisley and I sat down and I took a small stone out of my boot. We chatted and they mentioned they were students at Virginia Tech. Paisley and I continued north, they were southbound. The subject never came up and Paisley (female) never mentioned it but both girls were topless and beautiful. It wasn't June 21st, I guess Virginia Tech just has different standards. I still can't believe Paisley didn't notice and I never mentioned it. Just seemed normal at the time.

Ender
03-04-2006, 00:29
I really don't think this qualifies as 'crazy', dude, but I hear you.

It certainly doesn't nowadays. But back in 1988? You bet your butt it did. :rolleyes: I remember the first time I saw someone with two hiking poles... I thought they were crippled or something.

Red Hat
03-04-2006, 12:50
Last year there was the hiker dressed in a polo shirt and khaki shorts who pulled two rolling suitcases and a couple of duffle bags. It took at least two trips for him to cover any distance. We dubbed him "luggage man". He left from Harpers Ferry and made it down south almost to the Shenandoahs. He said hello, when spoken to, but made no eye contact. I first spotted a suitcase and duffle bag left on the trail. Then a little further, here he came with the second. Weird!

Bassline
03-04-2006, 15:56
Last year there was the hiker dressed in a polo shirt and khaki shorts who pulled two rolling suitcases and a couple of duffle bags. It took at least two trips for him to cover any distance. We dubbed him "luggage man". He left from Harpers Ferry and made it down south almost to the Shenandoahs. He said hello, when spoken to, but made no eye contact. I first spotted a suitcase and duffle bag left on the trail. Then a little further, here he came with the second. Weird!

HAHA, we called that guy Samsonite after the movie Dumb and Dumber. He was one of the strangest guys I have ever met. We walked up on this guy who looked like a normal day hiker, clad in Shorts and a Tee-shirt. Then he mentioned that he was backpacking, and that it was easy on the downhill because he could just roll his bags down the hill. Epic Flop, and I both knew something was up then. He told us some sort of crazy story that confirmed the fact that he was a few cards short of a full deck, and we went on our merry way. He was definently the talk of the shelter that night. It is all good.

Bassline

Mother Nature
03-04-2006, 16:18

I remember a hike in the Adirondacks in the 80s and came across a group of running hikers using two leki type poles while climbing Algonquin. They explained to me that they were part of a cross country ski team doing off season training. They passed me flying uphill! :o

Mother Nature

Miss Janet
03-04-2006, 21:39
....assorted Harry Potter Characters seem to have been pretty strange to some hikers that sent a letter to the editor of the ATC's Journey magazine. What was so strange about that?? We see that kind of thing around here all the time!

Almost There
03-04-2006, 23:57
Personally, I think what you had them do was hi-larious, Miss Janet!!!

napster
03-05-2006, 01:01
One year in the Smokies sumbody was a snorring louder then meself and a young punkase stupid mofo got roused and woke everybody else up except the master snorrer and showed all his chicken fit of anger, war dance,cursing stomping and foaming at da mouth, flubby intimidation about the ever so "still a sleep" master snorer.He "the punk ase" then gots up bust camp and leaves still whinning and crying via moonlite while we all thank GOD fo his departure and resume sleep and snorring. Next AM the master snorrer finds his straps to his pack cut clean asunder.Although this may not sound CRAZY as the thread suggest I feel it to be a act of cowardness and pure stupidity Cause if you listen carefully in the Smokies ya might just hear the sound of suppressed thomps as they are very frequent in them Mts when rangers eliminate wild hogs.Not a good area to pizz sumone off.

Almost There
03-05-2006, 17:13
Personally, if someone had done that to my pack, I would have done twenty plus mile days to catch up to the Moosecock and proceed to beat him in a manner befitting my avatar!!!:datz

napster
03-05-2006, 20:46
Personally, if someone had done that to my pack, I would have done twenty plus mile days to catch up to the Moosecock and proceed to beat him in a manner befitting my avatar!!!:datz

I beleive he got caught via a "snapper" turtle in the holler :D

Topcat
03-05-2006, 21:23
Ok, so moosecock is now officially the insult of choice for whiteblaze.....I am a fan.

sleepwalker
03-05-2006, 21:33
and I might add that an image search of a "moosecock" was not as fruitful as I had....uh...hoped?

Almost There
03-05-2006, 21:36
Try Moose Penis!!!:jump

Topcat
03-05-2006, 21:44
sorry almost, but i am giving up moose penis for lent. maybe next year...

:-)