PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous Hiker @ Peter Mountain Shelter

blue indian
07-08-2019, 11:44
I (https://www.reddit.com/r/AppalachianTrail/comments/cakvgr/dangerous_hiker_in_the_peters_mountain_area_named/)n light of the recent event in southern Virginia this year, I thought this was pertinent info...

https://www.reddit.com/r/AppalachianTrail/comments/cakvgr/dangerous_hiker_in_the_peters_mountain_area_named/

Be safe everyone

Traffic Jam
07-08-2019, 19:20
JC. Is it surprising to anyone?

I frequently tell people that hiking the AT is the perfect activity for those who are <truly> homeless or mentally ill. You got Trail Magic, hiker feeds, hiker boxes, cheap hostels... all these people wanting to help you out just cuz you’re a “hiker”. Yet, the same people would shun you if they met you on the sidewalk in the city.

Lone Wolf
07-08-2019, 19:22

I frequently tell people that hiking the AT is the perfect activity for those who are <truly> homeless or mentally ill. You got Trail Magic, hiker feeds, hiker boxes, cheap hostels... all these people wanting to help you out just cuz you’re a “hiker”. Yet, the same people would shun you if they met you on the sidewalk in the city.

:) yup......

Traffic Jam
07-08-2019, 20:07
:) yup......

and I ain’t that smart. If I’ve figured it out, surely a ton of other people have figured it out too.

JPritch
07-08-2019, 20:58
I don't know that you've got it all figured out, but your bias against trail magic is clear.

Traffic Jam
07-08-2019, 21:10
I don't know that you've got it all figured out, but your bias against trail magic is clear.

Lone Wolf
07-08-2019, 21:17

i have a bias against feeds. not real trail magic which is rare

Traffic Jam
07-08-2019, 21:23
<irrelevant drivel>

SWODaddy
07-10-2019, 05:58

Yep. Don't forget shelters WITH privies too.

Traffic Jam
07-10-2019, 21:09
It wasn’t stated well but my point is that I think we should expect more of these incidents and be prepared. Honestly, if you are homeless, living out of a pack, are scraggly and unkempt...what better place to fit in than the AT? With as much attention as the AT has had the past few years, it’s going to attract all types of people. Plus you’ve got all these perks! (Not knocking the feeds, trail angels, etc, just stating facts). We need to be very careful and not trust someone just because they are a hiker. Hikers get way too much status.

Traffic Jam
07-10-2019, 21:17
....maybe someone can jog my memory but I recall a story a few years ago where the police deliberately pointed someone homeless to the AT, saying, “You want to walk around with a backpack, there’s a trail.”

can’t remember who the hiker was.

The AT isn’t exclusive, the mentally ill and truly homeless have as much right to be there as anyone, but there are also going to be problems and we need to be careful. [/QUOTE]

4eyedbuzzard
07-11-2019, 17:58
...The AT isn’t exclusive, the mentally ill and truly homeless have as much right to be there as anyone, but there are also going to be problems and we need to be careful.
Unless/until they become a public nuisance. Rights are not absolute.

FreeGoldRush
07-11-2019, 18:02
It wasn’t stated well but my point is that I think we should expect more of these incidents and be prepared. Honestly, if you are homeless, living out of a pack, are scraggly and unkempt...what better place to fit in than the AT? With as much attention as the AT has had the past few years, it’s going to attract all types of people. Plus you’ve got all these perks! (Not knocking the feeds, trail angels, etc, just stating facts). We need to be very careful and not trust someone just because they are a hiker. Hikers get way too much status.
Homeless people don't fit in on the trail. They are easy to spot. To a hiker, hostel owner, etc., they don't look at all like hikers. Look for someone with unclear plans, poor hygiene, not doing much hiking, carrying gear for a bushcraft experience, asking for handouts, bad luck story, spending too much time at trailheads, etc.

LazyLightning
07-11-2019, 19:36
I could see homeless people trying to hang out at select places where like mentioned above it's going to be obvious after not much time.

I do not see many homeless people hiking the trail for trail magic and free stuff... that's a whole lot of extra work and calories and the pay off wouldn't be worth it with the amount of free stuff. I'm sure people try it but I doubt it lasts very long before they ask themselves what they were thinking.

sketcher709
07-13-2019, 15:24
Yeah, that poor hygiene of the homeless people compared to those sparkly clean hikers...

JNI64
07-13-2019, 15:39
I think if I woke up to somebody pissing on me his nads would be back up in his intestines